I need a new website.

60 replies [Last post]
Hillbilly's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/22/2011

I need a new website for our B & B. Our current site was built by Acorn and was built a year before everything went responsive. We spent over $6000 and to mke our site responsive they want over $5000 and that would not be a custom site. They seem to be pricing themselves way up there. So I’m at a crossroad on what to do.  I feel there is the technology now to be able to hve a great site for a substantial savings by using Wordpress or Wix. I looked at both and wanted to know peoples thoughts on this? Wix seems to be a lot more user friendly but that’s just at a glance. Will either one be good to use? I read back through old posts but it’s been several years and things have changed. Will it hurt me from leaving Acorm and going to Wordpress or wix? Any help would be appreciated! 

__________________

Hillbilly

 

BYB
BYB's picture
Offline
Joined:
03/09/2018

I built my own site, as well as my client's sites exclusively on wix. It's fantastic!

Unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy, I would stay away from wordpress. I'm a graphic designer and it's been endless frustration.

 

__________________

Nah'imastay @ bedyogabreakfast.ca

 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

There are pros and cons for both of these solutions.

But I wouldn't go as far as saying "unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy".

Out of 1,032,151 hotel and B&B websites that I'm monitoring worldwide, WordPress is used on 20.79% of them, while Wix on only 2.59%.
Granted, if looking at stats only for USA, then WordPress drops to 17.7% and Wix jumps to 2.99%. 

Nonetheless, there is no CMS in the world that would stand even close to WordPress's market share, other than Joomla, with a 4.77% market share. There's a reason why something is as popular as WordPress is, and it most definitely is not that every user is "really computer-savvy". 

 

It's like saying that public transportation is the best and that people shouldn't drive cars, unless they are professional drivers or "really into cars" Smiling

__________________

https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs

 

BYB
BYB's picture
Offline
Joined:
03/09/2018

Nice themes, D!

Just relaying my personal experience with wordpress and I ain't no newbie.

My site is getting an average of 6K hits per month. Wix has recently partnered with google so it can't be all that bad.

 

Peace!

 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

As I said, there are pros and cons to both platforms, nothing wrong with that. What's good for someone, can be bad for someone else. I've seen plenty of cases when WordPress was a bad choice for the project, or at least it was badly implemented. It's not a panacea. 

P.S. The partnership thing... That statement can have a speculative meaning, so I think it is worth explaining it a little bit.
Wix use some cloud services provided by Google Cloud: hosting, email, etc. They simply pay for certain services provided by Google.

In the same way I'm paying Adobe to be able to use Photoshop and Lightroom... A PR guy could spin it and say that "It is a strategic partnership between Dumitru and Adobe" Smiling

Arks's picture
Online
Joined:
05/22/2010

dumitru wrote:

In the same way I'm paying Adobe to be able to use Photoshop and Lightroom... A PR guy could spin it and say that "It is a strategic partnership between Dumitru and Adobe" Smiling

yes

A healthcare supply company in my town advertises, "We now partner with XYZ medical products to supply our customers with the best equipment available." Partnership. That is another way of saying, we buy some our equipment from a major medical equipment supplier. Spin.

__________________

All saints can do miracles, but few of them can keep hotel. ~ Mark Twain

 

Offline
Joined:
02/15/2017

In my experience over the last 20 years, web masters are going the way of the Dodo Bird...they are too expensive, they don't manage updates quickly and a lot of them have difficultly managing multiple clients well.

Do you know WordPress? If you do, it would probably be economical for you. Others affordable CMS options to use are Weebly or Wix. (probably not Squarespace as it is more geared to ecommerce type sites)

We use Wix. I have experience in Marketing, Graphic and Web Design, and Photography. It was pretty easy! They have great templates and their Hotels app is great as well. If you already own your domain, then beside renewing that annually, it just a couple hundred dollars for their hosting...can't beat a deal like that! I have also built site for others who love Wix!

Each CMS will have strengths and weaknesses. Researching the options for each, or knowing someone who can help you assess your needs, is the first step!

Of course all websites, CMS programs, and reservation options all vary by the type of Inn you are, your location and the services you oiffer.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

The term "webmaster" went away, not the people or the need for them Smiling

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Hey.....who are you calling a Dodo Bird?  LOL

You're right though, any time you can do something yourself you're way better off.  A CMS is the best option for anyone who wants to update their site themselves but not have to learn all the technology.

 

Northern Dreamer wrote:

In my experience over the last 20 years, web masters are going the way of the Dodo Bird.

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

Roxanne, they are advertisements through google's advertising program, and are like the ads that appear in the left side bar on this forum.

The ads that appear depend on the individual browser's history. So on your website, I was seeing advertisements for stainless steel sheet metal from onlinemetals.com......

If you can't see the ads, you may have an "Adblocker" installed in your web browser software? Check your settings and turn it off.

Somebody is receiving an income (however paltry) for the ads displayed on your website. Where is your website hosted and what platform did your daughter use to construct it?

__________________

"where even time relaxes...."

 

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

Thanks for letting me know. Nobody has ever said anything and it does not show up on my computer. I do use Ad Blocker and clear my caches every night.

I have made my webmaster aware and will get back to this page when it is solved. 

__________________

"There are worse things than being alone...like wishing you were." Aunt Josie

 

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

My daughter has a degree from UCF in Graphic Design and Digital Media with a minor in Fine Art. She did mine (of course). My B&B is very small (3 guest rooms) but you can check out her work @ www.baldmountainhouse.com

Her contact info: phone # 4076971148 call or text; or email brennadicks@gmail.com

She said that $5,000 is ridiculous.

 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

P.S. If you were to post here on the forum a new topic "Please review my website", I would gladly take a shot at it Smiling

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

<TITLE> baldmountainhouse.com </TITLE>

Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Her web site is fine for a B&B.  The only issue I see (on a quick glance) is that it's not responsive so it's not going to present as well as it could on a mobile device.  But it is still usable by zooming in.

Everyone starts somewhere.  The web site will be fine until they are ready for something else.

 

 

dumitru wrote:

<TITLE> baldmountainhouse.com </TITLE>

Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm glad that I was able to help at least a little bit.

The last thing I'll say on this topic is this: I got accused just because of having my signature (many people here have signatures with links, except those that try to keep their anonymity). Sounds weird that a different user who directly advertised someone's services, with a phone number, email address and everything - didn't even get noticed... 

What a world, what a world Smiling

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Roxanne Trees wrote:

Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.

 

Dumitru has been here for several years and has yet to do anything other thn be helpful and give answers. He was vetted years ago and is a VERY welcome addition. Us Old-Timers quickly deal with what you incorrectly accuse him of. He IS here for tips. He even gave me an answer about link love when we were just having a discussion - and I appreciated it immensely.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

No, I don't mean me Smiling

Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that. 

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business.  That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising.  You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet.  If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first.  I've seen every trick in the book.  Smiling

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts.  LOL

 

 

dumitru wrote:

No, I don't mean me Smiling

Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that. 

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Every user has his/hers signature displayed in the same post only once. Check it and you'll see Smiling Everyone in this post has their signature displayed only once.

Arks's picture
Online
Joined:
05/22/2010

dumitru wrote:

Every user has his/hers signature displayed in the same post only once. Check it and you'll see Smiling Everyone in this post has their signature displayed only once.

Yes. It's the Innspiring website that's deciding when and when not to display signatures. It's not up to the user.

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Interesting.  I've never heard of a forum doing that and I don't know what the purpose is (other than a bug) but thanks for letting me know.

 

Arks wrote:

dumitru wrote:

Every user has his/hers signature displayed in the same post only once. Check it and you'll see Smiling Everyone in this post has their signature displayed only once.

Yes. It's the Innspiring website that's deciding when and when not to display signatures. It's not up to the user.

Morticia's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

MNVineyardBB wrote:

Interesting.  I've never heard of a forum doing that and I don't know what the purpose is (other than a bug) but thanks for letting me know.

 

It's done to save space. Having that one extra line on every post costs money in storage fees. This forum is paid for by the owner out of the money that is generated from clicking the ads. (And mostly his own pocket.)

So your tag line only shows up on your first post in a thread.

__________________

Never judge a person's story by the chapter you walked in on.

 

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

MNVineyardBB wrote:

The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business.  That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising.  You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet.  If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first.  I've seen every trick in the book.  Smiling

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts.  LOL

Sorry, MNVineyardBB, lots of us here are long timers, and Dumitru is a wonderful helpful resource not to be questioned.  Not valid:  Not every trick in the book...

 

__________________

The Truth and an Open Mind Shall Set You Free

 

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

Cynicism not advised.

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

Thank you.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

Where's the irony in that? How did the discussion get to that? I even suggested a free, technical review of the website. Where's the harm and/or irony in that? 

Just for giggles: I've been here since 2013. In all that time I've helped a few people with technical advice for absolutely no charge. Additionally, to my knowledge, I have made zero sales as a result of being present on this forum.

P.S. I haven't removed my signature, it's been there since I joined.

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

Thank you Dumitru for all of your advice and input!

Arks's picture
Online
Joined:
05/22/2010

Momma Smurf wrote:

Thank you Dumitru for all of your advice and input!

yesyesyes

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

Newcomers need to learn not to snipe at friendlies. IF someone was here in a promotional capacity, they would have been shut down. We watch for scammers. Thank you for the help you have given, Dumitru. 

 

And just to be obnoxious - my high school chemistry/physics teacher provided one of the best lessons in life on the first day of class. He drew a dot on the blackboard and drew a circle around it. That dot represented all the knowledge we possessed and the circle, everything we did not know. Now, we learn a new fact so the dot gets bigger and the circle around it (everything we do not know) gets bigger. Point illustrated was, the more you know, the less you know and anyone who says they know all there is to know about ______________ is full of it.

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

I googled and read many of dumitru's posts before I commented.  I may be a newcomer but I am not a dumb newcomer   Smiling   

Pop this into a google search (site:innspiring.com Dumitru) and you can read every post.

The  signature (https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs) is not only an Ad to get potential business from people here, it's also a backlink to his site that google will use to rank his site and to give his site authority.  So the link serves both as an Ad here and to help rank his site.

Regardless though...I don't care if he advertises here I honestly don't. 

My post was coming from a standpoint of finding humor (irony).   I found it humorous that post #2 had the signature then posts 7,8, 12 and 17 did not.

Dumitru if I came off sounding anything other than I was teasing you and finding humor in something I apologize.  By the way, I have a White Metal Detector and I love to go out detecting too.  A few years back I found a dog tag from a WWI soldier who lived in Canada.  How it got in the ground here in Minnesota  we will never know!

 

 

gillumhouse wrote:

Newcomers need to learn not to snipe at friendlies. IF someone was here in a promotional capacity, they would have been shut down. We watch for scammers. Thank you for the help you have given, Dumitru. 

 

And just to be obnoxious - my high school chemistry/physics teacher provided one of the best lessons in life on the first day of class. He drew a dot on the blackboard and drew a circle around it. That dot represented all the knowledge we possessed and the circle, everything we did not know. Now, we learn a new fact so the dot gets bigger and the circle around it (everything we do not know) gets bigger. Point illustrated was, the more you know, the less you know and anyone who says they know all there is to know about ______________ is full of it.

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

We are all trying to help each other out, that is the point here, but not for financial gain.  I don't run a link to my husband's HVAC and Plumbing business nor his CPA firm.

Nuff said.

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

But... why are all those ads on your page?  I would hate that and run for the hills.

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

I have Ad Blocker and the ads never appeared when I went on my site. Thanks for the heads up. It should be fixed now.

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

Ads? If you mean the attractions, they are what bring people into this area. The ski resort, Appalachian Trail entrance and stables are inside the same resort as my B&B. Some reciprocate and link my site on their web page.

gillumhouse's picture
Offline
Joined:
05/22/2008

I was looking at CJBanks sale pants yesterday. I had those pants advertised at the left on your web page.

I found the font a bit small for my old, tired, still cataract (but not much longer) eyes.

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

There are ads for Macy's appearing on your website.

Arks's picture
Online
Joined:
05/22/2010

Momma Smurf wrote:

There are ads for Macy's appearing on your website.

On the bald mountain website? I'm not seeing any ads at all. 

OnTheShore's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/28/2011

Do you have an adblocker installed on your browser?

Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing -- one advertising block front and center (this one for a welder), and second advertising block lower left (this one for onlinemetals.com)

http://thorpeallen.net/images/BaldMountainScreenShot.png

 

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

OnTheShore wrote:

Do you have an adblocker installed on your browser?

Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing -- one advertising block front and center (this one for a welder), and second advertising block lower left (this one for onlinemetals.com)

http://thorpeallen.net/images/BaldMountainScreenShot.png

Exactly, mine is for Lenox china that I bought at Macy's recently.  The crazy think is, I do use an Ad Blocker and it's usually very effective.  This is very obnoxious and I would contact the web master daughter ASAP. 

Roxanne Trees's picture
Offline
Joined:
08/14/2016

I think that fire is out! 

Thank you for letting me know as I never got ads when I visited my website. I use Ad Blocker (ABP) and it does a really good job, which was unfortunate in this case. I have disabled Ad Blocker for my site, just in case.

 

 

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

Definitely a vast improvement and design formatting is so much better!

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Hillbilly,

You may not need a whole new site.  What makes a site responsive is what is called CSS.  CSS is a styling language that lets you display things differently for different device sizes using what is called media queries.  Essentially, with a media query you can do things like display one type of menu for a tablet device and display a different type of menu for a smartphone.  

Ultimately, it comes down to having someone that knows  about all this stuff review your existing site and then let you know if what is there can be made responsive relatively easily or not.

If you go with wordpress, I believe it does have some integration with booking engines so that's a plus.

Also, there are tons of responsive templates available for $10 to $15 on sites like themeforest or wrapbootstrap.  What the template gets you is that someone has done most of the heavy lifting (building it and testing it) for you.  There is still a lot of work to turn that template into a site.

I use reservation key for my booking engine for the time being.  I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site.  I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional.  Any of this web site work takes a ton of time.  But its a good investment since you'll get most of your bookings directly on the site if it gives people a good impression.
 

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

MNVineyardBB wrote:

I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site.  I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional.

Are you speaking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search  widget?  I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting it to line up horizontally in WP.  I told John that it can't have any spaces.  Or are you talking about something else?

 

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Momma Smurf,

 

Yes, I'm talking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search  widget. Here is what mine looks like.  It has a whole new look to the date picker with new calendar icons too.

Reservation Key does a nice job on the features that they provide but they really need to hire someone that is a designer that will make their dashboard and everything else look more professional.

I may do some more styling on the search button yet but other than that I think it looks good.

 

Anon Inn's picture
Offline
Joined:
09/26/2011

Wow.  Your reservation snippet looks great.  I'm a Key user too.  I love every bit of it except that people sometimes think they've completed their booking after getting as far as entering in their cc info and clicking the 'agree to policies' box.  Then somehow the finalize thing does not happen.  They usually email to ask if it has gone through since they don't get a confirmation.  Only once did someone show up thinking they had booked, but I had no idea.  This happens 3 or 4 times a year. 

My reservation page is not attractive, but a page update is finally in the works.  I was too much of a wreck last year to actually get anything done except the day-to-day.   

Hopefully this will be sorted.  I would hate to leave Key.  Its just heads above the rest in so many ways.

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Thank you!

I like Reservation Key but there are just a few things that really need some work.  The mobile view of the reservation page, I find to not be real intuitive.  Looks fine on a desktop but gets confusing on mobile.  I've heard that if we make it too difficult for people to book that will move on and book elsewhere.  So I want to make the booking part very easy and intuitive.

 

Anon Inn wrote:

Wow.  Your reservation snippet looks great.  I'm a Key user too.  I love every bit of it except that people sometimes think they've completed their booking after getting as far as entering in their cc info and clicking the 'agree to policies' box.  Then somehow the finalize thing does not happen.  They usually email to ask if it has gone through since they don't get a confirmation.  Only once did someone show up thinking they had booked, but I had no idea.  This happens 3 or 4 times a year. 

My reservation page is not attractive, but a page update is finally in the works.  I was too much of a wreck last year to actually get anything done except the day-to-day.   

Hopefully this will be sorted.  I would hate to leave Key.  Its just heads above the rest in so many ways.

Momma Smurf's picture
Offline
Joined:
12/06/2010

Very nice!  I have been able to totally customize my Res Page to match our site.  PM me and I can share.

Offline
Joined:
11/21/2017

Sent you a contact from the forum.

dumitru's picture
Offline
Joined:
10/07/2013

*cough cough*

Let me know if you need a one on one consultation, free and no strings attached Smiling

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.