I need a new website.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter has a degree from UCF in Graphic Design and Digital Media with a minor in Fine Art. She did mine (of course). My B&B is very small (3 guest rooms) but you can check out her work @ www.baldmountainhouse.com
Her contact info: phone # 4076971148 call or text; or email [email protected]
She said that $5,000 is ridiculous..
But... why are all those ads on your page? I would hate that and run for the hills.
Ads? If you mean the attractions, they are what bring people into this area. The ski resort, Appalachian Trail entrance and stables are inside the same resort as my B&B. Some reciprocate and link my site on their web page.
There are ads for Macy's appearing on your website.

Roxanne, they are advertisements through google's advertising program, and are like the ads that appear in the left side bar on this forum.
The ads that appear depend on the individual browser's history. So on your website, I was seeing advertisements for stainless steel sheet metal from onlinemetals.com......
If you can't see the ads, you may have an "Adblocker" installed in your web browser software? Check your settings and turn it off.
Somebody is receiving an income (however paltry) for the ads displayed on your website. Where is your website hosted and what platform did your daughter use to construct it?

My daughter has a degree from UCF in Graphic Design and Digital Media with a minor in Fine Art. She did mine (of course). My B&B is very small (3 guest rooms) but you can check out her work @ www.baldmountainhouse.com
But... why are all those ads on your page? I would hate that and run for the hills.
Ads? If you mean the attractions, they are what bring people into this area. The ski resort, Appalachian Trail entrance and stables are inside the same resort as my B&B. Some reciprocate and link my site on their web page.
Momma Smurf said:
On the bald mountain website? I'm not seeing any ads at all.

Momma Smurf said:
Do you have an adblocker installed on your browser?
Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing -- one advertising block front and center (this one for a welder), and second advertising block lower left (this one for onlinemetals.com)
http://thorpeallen.net/images/BaldMountainScreenShot.png

Momma Smurf said:
Here is a screen shot of what I am seeing -- one advertising block front and center (this one for a welder), and second advertising block lower left (this one for onlinemetals.com)
OnTheShore said:
Exactly, mine is for Lenox china that I bought at Macy's recently. The crazy think is, I do use an Ad Blocker and it's usually very effective. This is very obnoxious and I would contact the web master daughter ASAP.

Roxanne, they are advertisements through google's advertising program, and are like the ads that appear in the left side bar on this forum.
The ads that appear depend on the individual browser's history. So on your website, I was seeing advertisements for stainless steel sheet metal from onlinemetals.com......
If you can't see the ads, you may have an "Adblocker" installed in your web browser software? Check your settings and turn it off.
Somebody is receiving an income (however paltry) for the ads displayed on your website. Where is your website hosted and what platform did your daughter use to construct it?.
Thanks for letting me know. Nobody has ever said anything and it does not show up on my computer. I do use Ad Blocker and clear my caches every night.
I have made my webmaster aware and will get back to this page when it is solved.

In my experience over the last 20 years, web masters are going the way of the Dodo Bird...they are too expensive, they don't manage updates quickly and a lot of them have difficultly managing multiple clients well.
Do you know WordPress? If you do, it would probably be economical for you. Others affordable CMS options to use are Weebly or Wix. (probably not Squarespace as it is more geared to ecommerce type sites)
We use Wix. I have experience in Marketing, Graphic and Web Design, and Photography. It was pretty easy! They have great templates and their Hotels app is great as well. If you already own your domain, then beside renewing that annually, it just a couple hundred dollars for their hosting...can't beat a deal like that! I have also built site for others who love Wix!
Each CMS will have strengths and weaknesses. Researching the options for each, or knowing someone who can help you assess your needs, is the first step!
Of course all websites, CMS programs, and reservation options all vary by the type of Inn you are, your location and the services you oiffer.

<TITLE> baldmountainhouse.com </TITLE>
Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.

P.S. If you were to post here on the forum a new topic "Please review my website", I would gladly take a shot at it :)

In my experience over the last 20 years, web masters are going the way of the Dodo Bird...they are too expensive, they don't manage updates quickly and a lot of them have difficultly managing multiple clients well.
Do you know WordPress? If you do, it would probably be economical for you. Others affordable CMS options to use are Weebly or Wix. (probably not Squarespace as it is more geared to ecommerce type sites)
We use Wix. I have experience in Marketing, Graphic and Web Design, and Photography. It was pretty easy! They have great templates and their Hotels app is great as well. If you already own your domain, then beside renewing that annually, it just a couple hundred dollars for their hosting...can't beat a deal like that! I have also built site for others who love Wix!
Each CMS will have strengths and weaknesses. Researching the options for each, or knowing someone who can help you assess your needs, is the first step!
Of course all websites, CMS programs, and reservation options all vary by the type of Inn you are, your location and the services you oiffer..
Hey.....who are you calling a Dodo Bird? LOL
You're right though, any time you can do something yourself you're way better off. A CMS is the best option for anyone who wants to update their site themselves but not have to learn all the technology.
Northern Dreamer said:
In my experience over the last 20 years, web masters are going the way of the Dodo Bird.

Of course all websites, CMS programs, and reservation options all vary by the type of Inn you are, your location and the services you oiffer..
The term "webmaster" went away, not the people or the need for them :)

Momma Smurf said:
OnTheShore said:
Exactly, mine is for Lenox china that I bought at Macy's recently. The crazy think is, I do use an Ad Blocker and it's usually very effective. This is very obnoxious and I would contact the web master daughter ASAP.
I think that fire is out!
Thank you for letting me know as I never got ads when I visited my website. I use Ad Blocker (ABP) and it does a really good job, which was unfortunate in this case. I have disabled Ad Blocker for my site, just in case.

Momma Smurf said:
OnTheShore said:
I think that fire is out!
Thank you for letting me know as I never got ads when I visited my website. I use Ad Blocker (ABP) and it does a really good job, which was unfortunate in this case. I have disabled Ad Blocker for my site, just in case.
Definitely a vast improvement and design formatting is so much better!

Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.
Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.

I have Ad Blocker and the ads never appeared when I went on my site. Thanks for the heads up. It should be fixed now.

Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.
No, I don't mean me :)
Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that.

Her web site is fine for a B&B. The only issue I see (on a quick glance) is that it's not responsive so it's not going to present as well as it could on a mobile device. But it is still usable by zooming in.

Everyone starts somewhere. The web site will be fine until they are ready for something else.

dumitru said:

Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that.
The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business. That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising. You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet. If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first. I've seen every trick in the book. :)

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts. LOL

dumitru said:

The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business. That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising. You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet. If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first. I've seen every trick in the book. :)

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts. LOL

dumitru said:
Where's the irony in that? How did the discussion get to that? I even suggested a free, technical review of the website. Where's the harm and/or irony in that?
Just for giggles: I've been here since 2013. In all that time I've helped a few people with technical advice for absolutely no charge. Additionally, to my knowledge, I have made zero sales as a result of being present on this forum.
P.S. I haven't removed my signature, it's been there since I joined.

dumitru said:
Thank you.

Back