I need a new website.

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My daughter has a degree from UCF in Graphic Design and Digital Media with a minor in Fine Art. She did mine (of course). My B&B is very small (3 guest rooms) but you can check out her work @ www.baldmountainhouse.com
Her contact info: phone # 4076971148 call or text; or email [email protected]
She said that $5,000 is ridiculous..
<TITLE> baldmountainhouse.com </TITLE>
Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.
Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.
No, I don't mean me :)
Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that.
The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business. That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising. You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet. If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first. I've seen every trick in the book. :)

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts. LOL

dumitru said:
Sure, it can be me, but so far I haven't pitched you anything and haven't tried to sell you anything, so there's that.
Where's the irony in that? How did the discussion get to that? I even suggested a free, technical review of the website. Where's the harm and/or irony in that?
Just for giggles: I've been here since 2013. In all that time I've helped a few people with technical advice for absolutely no charge. Additionally, to my knowledge, I have made zero sales as a result of being present on this forum.
P.S. I haven't removed my signature, it's been there since I joined.
We are all trying to help each other out, that is the point here, but not for financial gain. I don't run a link to my husband's HVAC and Plumbing business nor his CPA firm.
Nuff said.

My daughter has a degree from UCF in Graphic Design and Digital Media with a minor in Fine Art. She did mine (of course). My B&B is very small (3 guest rooms) but you can check out her work @ www.baldmountainhouse.com
Not to sound rude, but you should consider getting some professional help with your website.
Not to sound rude, but I am guessing that you mean you? I gather that you are not on here for inn keeping tips.
Roxanne Trees said:
Dumitru has been here for several years and has yet to do anything other thn be helpful and give answers. He was vetted years ago and is a VERY welcome addition. Us Old-Timers quickly deal with what you incorrectly accuse him of. He IS here for tips. He even gave me an answer about link love when we were just having a discussion - and I appreciated it immensely.

But... why are all those ads on your page? I would hate that and run for the hills.
Ads? If you mean the attractions, they are what bring people into this area. The ski resort, Appalachian Trail entrance and stables are inside the same resort as my B&B. Some reciprocate and link my site on their web page.
I was looking at CJBanks sale pants yesterday. I had those pants advertised at the left on your web page.
I found the font a bit small for my old, tired, still cataract (but not much longer) eyes.

The Irony is that on some of your posts you have a signature advertising your business. That is a round-about way of advertising without trying to be obvious that you're advertising. You just have the unfortunate luck of meeting one person (me) on the planet who has more forum experience than almost anyone on the planet. If I didn't have the first forum on the web, I was certainly one of the very first. I've seen every trick in the book. :)

Why I find it ironic, is now the discussion is about you advertising and you have removed your signature on your posts. LOL

dumitru said:
Where's the irony in that? How did the discussion get to that? I even suggested a free, technical review of the website. Where's the harm and/or irony in that?
Just for giggles: I've been here since 2013. In all that time I've helped a few people with technical advice for absolutely no charge. Additionally, to my knowledge, I have made zero sales as a result of being present on this forum.
Newcomers need to learn not to snipe at friendlies. IF someone was here in a promotional capacity, they would have been shut down. We watch for scammers. Thank you for the help you have given, Dumitru.
And just to be obnoxious - my high school chemistry/physics teacher provided one of the best lessons in life on the first day of class. He drew a dot on the blackboard and drew a circle around it. That dot represented all the knowledge we possessed and the circle, everything we did not know. Now, we learn a new fact so the dot gets bigger and the circle around it (everything we do not know) gets bigger. Point illustrated was, the more you know, the less you know and anyone who says they know all there is to know about ______________ is full of it.

dumitru said:
MNVineyardBB said:

Sorry, MNVineyardBB, lots of us here are long timers, and Dumitru is a wonderful helpful resource not to be questioned. Not valid: Not every trick in the book...

dumitru said:
MNVineyardBB said:

Sorry, MNVineyardBB, lots of us here are long timers, and Dumitru is a wonderful helpful resource not to be questioned. Not valid: Not every trick in the book...
Cynicism not advised.

dumitru said:
Thank you Dumitru for all of your advice and input!

dumitru said:
Momma Smurf said:
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif

dumitru said:
Newcomers need to learn not to snipe at friendlies. IF someone was here in a promotional capacity, they would have been shut down. We watch for scammers. Thank you for the help you have given, Dumitru.
And just to be obnoxious - my high school chemistry/physics teacher provided one of the best lessons in life on the first day of class. He drew a dot on the blackboard and drew a circle around it. That dot represented all the knowledge we possessed and the circle, everything we did not know. Now, we learn a new fact so the dot gets bigger and the circle around it (everything we do not know) gets bigger. Point illustrated was, the more you know, the less you know and anyone who says they know all there is to know about ______________ is full of it.
I googled and read many of dumitru's posts before I commented. I may be a newcomer but I am not a dumb newcomer :)

Pop this into a google search (site:innspiring.com Dumitru) and you can read every post.

The signature (https://www.hermesthemes.com/ - WordPress Themes for Independent Hotels, Inns and B&Bs) is not only an Ad to get potential business from people here, it's also a backlink to his site that google will use to rank his site and to give his site authority. So the link serves both as an Ad here and to help rank his site.

Regardless though...I don't care if he advertises here I honestly don't.
My post was coming from a standpoint of finding humor (irony). I found it humorous that post #2 had the signature then posts 7,8, 12 and 17 did not.

Dumitru if I came off sounding anything other than I was teasing you and finding humor in something I apologize. By the way, I have a White Metal Detector and I love to go out detecting too. A few years back I found a dog tag from a WWI soldier who lived in Canada. How it got in the ground here in Minnesota we will never know!

gillumhouse said:

Thank you all for the kind words, I'm glad that I was able to help at least a little bit.
The last thing I'll say on this topic is this: I got accused just because of having my signature (many people here have signatures with links, except those that try to keep their anonymity). Sounds weird that a different user who directly advertised someone's services, with a phone number, email address and everything - didn't even get noticed...
What a world, what a world :)

dumitru said:
Every user has his/hers signature displayed in the same post only once. Check it and you'll see :) Everyone in this post has their signature displayed only once.

dumitru said:
Every user has his/hers signature displayed in the same post only once. Check it and you'll see :) Everyone in this post has their signature displayed only once.
dumitru said:
Yes. It's the Innspiring website that's deciding when and when not to display signatures. It's not up to the user.

dumitru said:
dumitru said:
Yes. It's the Innspiring website that's deciding when and when not to display signatures. It's not up to the user.
Interesting. I've never heard of a forum doing that and I don't know what the purpose is (other than a bug) but thanks for letting me know.
Arks said:
dumitru said:

dumitru said:
dumitru said:
Interesting. I've never heard of a forum doing that and I don't know what the purpose is (other than a bug) but thanks for letting me know.
Arks said:
dumitru said:
MNVineyardBB said:
It's done to save space. Having that one extra line on every post costs money in storage fees. This forum is paid for by the owner out of the money that is generated from clicking the ads. (And mostly his own pocket.)
So your tag line only shows up on your first post in a thread.

Hillbilly,

You may not need a whole new site. What makes a site responsive is what is called CSS. CSS is a styling language that lets you display things differently for different device sizes using what is called media queries. Essentially, with a media query you can do things like display one type of menu for a tablet device and display a different type of menu for a smartphone.

Ultimately, it comes down to having someone that knows about all this stuff review your existing site and then let you know if what is there can be made responsive relatively easily or not.
If you go with wordpress, I believe it does have some integration with booking engines so that's a plus.
Also, there are tons of responsive templates available for $10 to $15 on sites like themeforest or wrapbootstrap. What the template gets you is that someone has done most of the heavy lifting (building it and testing it) for you. There is still a lot of work to turn that template into a site.

I use reservation key for my booking engine for the time being. I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site. I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional. Any of this web site work takes a ton of time. But its a good investment since you'll get most of your bookings directly on the site if it gives people a good impression..
MNVineyardBB said:
I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site. I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional.
Are you speaking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search widget? I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting it to line up horizontally in WP. I told John that it can't have any spaces. Or are you talking about something else?
Momma Smurf,
Yes, I'm talking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search widget. Here is what mine looks like. It has a whole new look to the date picker with new calendar icons too.

Reservation Key does a nice job on the features that they provide but they really need to hire someone that is a designer that will make their dashboard and everything else look more professional.

I may do some more styling on the search button yet but other than that I think it looks good.

searchwidget.jpg

calendar.jpg

Wow. Your reservation snippet looks great. I'm a Key user too. I love every bit of it except that people sometimes think they've completed their booking after getting as far as entering in their cc info and clicking the 'agree to policies' box. Then somehow the finalize thing does not happen. They usually email to ask if it has gone through since they don't get a confirmation. Only once did someone show up thinking they had booked, but I had no idea. This happens 3 or 4 times a year.
My reservation page is not attractive, but a page update is finally in the works. I was too much of a wreck last year to actually get anything done except the day-to-day.
Hopefully this will be sorted. I would hate to leave Key. Its just heads above the rest in so many ways.

Hillbilly,

You may not need a whole new site. What makes a site responsive is what is called CSS. CSS is a styling language that lets you display things differently for different device sizes using what is called media queries. Essentially, with a media query you can do things like display one type of menu for a tablet device and display a different type of menu for a smartphone.

Ultimately, it comes down to having someone that knows about all this stuff review your existing site and then let you know if what is there can be made responsive relatively easily or not.
If you go with wordpress, I believe it does have some integration with booking engines so that's a plus.
Also, there are tons of responsive templates available for $10 to $15 on sites like themeforest or wrapbootstrap. What the template gets you is that someone has done most of the heavy lifting (building it and testing it) for you. There is still a lot of work to turn that template into a site.

I use reservation key for my booking engine for the time being. I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site. I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional. Any of this web site work takes a ton of time. But its a good investment since you'll get most of your bookings directly on the site if it gives people a good impression..
MNVineyardBB said:
I really, really hated the way they displayed their "check availability" widget on my web site. I spent most of a full day just styling it so that it looked professional.
Are you speaking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search widget? I had to spend a ridiculous amount of time getting it to line up horizontally in WP. I told John that it can't have any spaces. Or are you talking about something else?
Momma Smurf,
Yes, I'm talking about the Check In, Check Out, # of Guests, Search widget. Here is what mine looks like. It has a whole new look to the date picker with new calendar icons too.

Reservation Key does a nice job on the features that they provide but they really need to hire someone that is a designer that will make their dashboard and everything else look more professional.

I may do some more styling on the search button yet but other than that I think it looks good.

searchwidget.jpg

calendar.jpg

Wow. Your reservation snippet looks great. I'm a Key user too. I love every bit of it except that people sometimes think they've completed their booking after getting as far as entering in their cc info and clicking the 'agree to policies' box. Then somehow the finalize thing does not happen. They usually email to ask if it has gone through since they don't get a confirmation. Only once did someone show up thinking they had booked, but I had no idea. This happens 3 or 4 times a year.
My reservation page is not attractive, but a page update is finally in the works. I was too much of a wreck last year to actually get anything done except the day-to-day.
Hopefully this will be sorted. I would hate to leave Key. Its just heads above the rest in so many ways.
Thank you!
I like Reservation Key but there are just a few things that really need some work. The mobile view of the reservation page, I find to not be real intuitive. Looks fine on a desktop but gets confusing on mobile. I've heard that if we make it too difficult for people to book that will move on and book elsewhere. So I want to make the booking part very easy and intuitive.
Anon Inn said:

I built my own site, as well as my client's sites exclusively on wix. It's fantastic!
Unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy, I would stay away from wordpress. I'm a graphic designer and it's been endless frustration.

I built my own site, as well as my client's sites exclusively on wix. It's fantastic!
Unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy, I would stay away from wordpress. I'm a graphic designer and it's been endless frustration..
There are pros and cons for both of these solutions.
But I wouldn't go as far as saying "unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy".
Out of 1,032,151 hotel and B&B websites that I'm monitoring worldwide, WordPress is used on 20.79% of them, while Wix on only 2.59%.
Granted, if looking at stats only for USA, then WordPress drops to 17.7% and Wix jumps to 2.99%.
Nonetheless, there is no CMS in the world that would stand even close to WordPress's market share, other than Joomla, with a 4.77% market share. There's a reason why something is as popular as WordPress is, and it most definitely is not that every user is "really computer-savvy".
It's like saying that public transportation is the best and that people shouldn't drive cars, unless they are professional drivers or "really into cars" :)

Unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy, I would stay away from wordpress. I'm a graphic designer and it's been endless frustration..
But I wouldn't go as far as saying "unless you're a developer or really computer-savvy".
Out of 1,032,151 hotel and B&B websites that I'm monitoring worldwide, WordPress is used on 20.79% of them, while Wix on only 2.59%.
Granted, if looking at stats only for USA, then WordPress drops to 17.7% and Wix jumps to 2.99%.
Nonetheless, there is no CMS in the world that would stand even close to WordPress's market share, other than Joomla, with a 4.77% market share. There's a reason why something is as popular as WordPress is, and it most definitely is not that every user is "really computer-savvy".
It's like saying that public transportation is the best and that people shouldn't drive cars, unless they are professional drivers or "really into cars" :)
Nice themes, D!
Just relaying my personal experience with wordpress and I ain't no newbie.
My site is getting an average of 6K hits per month. Wix has recently partnered with google so it can't be all that bad.
Peace!

Nice themes, D!
Just relaying my personal experience with wordpress and I ain't no newbie.
My site is getting an average of 6K hits per month. Wix has recently partnered with google so it can't be all that bad.
Peace!
As I said, there are pros and cons to both platforms, nothing wrong with that. What's good for someone, can be bad for someone else. I've seen plenty of cases when WordPress was a bad choice for the project, or at least it was badly implemented. It's not a panacea.
P.S. The partnership thing... That statement can have a speculative meaning, so I think it is worth explaining it a little bit.
Wix use some cloud services provided by Google Cloud: hosting, email, etc. They simply pay for certain services provided by Google.
In the same way I'm paying Adobe to be able to use Photoshop and Lightroom... A PR guy could spin it and say that "It is a strategic partnership between Dumitru and Adobe" :)

Back