After 4 months with Booking.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I confirm, Booking is great. Great at bringing bookings, but also very efficient marketing. Join Booking, next day, they use your name in Google adword to try to divert your guests to your website, few days/weeks later, thousands of websites affiliated with Booking will promote your property, several of them using again your property name with the same adwords. "Check the prices" will pop up in TripAdvisor, Google, GoogleMaps, all linked to Booking, etc, etc. They'll be everywhere trying to take your oxygen. Commissions shared between them. Big party ...
Booking have a much better reputation than Expedia (Expedia is at a very low 1.8 on trustpilot.com while Booking is at 8,5/10).
Join them at your own risk. Limit the risk by understanding them in depth. This is a tool. Do not let the tool use you!
Here my advices:
- as about 30% of Booking's visitors will also visit the property's own website, ensure your website is optimised for conversion. If more difficult to book than on Booking.com, guests will return to Booking for confirming.
- for the same reason, the name of your the property in Booking should, when searched in Google, reach a Google page where your website is very visible at the top. Adjust your name if necessary. Visitors will copy your name in Booking and search in in Google.
- for the same reason, your website proposal must be better than Booking's: better look, better prices, better cancellation terms, more information, more and bigger pictures, better prices, special offers, efficient booking engine, ...
- for the same reason your offer on Booking should be worse: no full rooms pictures, just details,
- they DO accept to stop pay per clic. They have such special negociations/agreements with big chains (check it in Google), they have it with me and other colleagues. Force your way through. This is disrespectful behaviour and an appaling way to start a partnership with you. It is like placing a Booking Salesperson in front of your property. No! If Booking wins on this, you are unlikely to convince others not to do it. If you win, "Bravo!" but keep checking, they are likely to "forget" about it.
- fight for this pay per clic only if you are well positionned in seach engine results with the name of your property (see above). Otherwise, it is useless. Like if your B&B name is "The Cellar", your site will unlikely be on 1st page. Visitors will not find you with that in Google. So, you either buy "The Cellar" adwords yourself and stop Booking from doing it. But better choose as name in Booking something like "The Summerbell Cellar" where you are sure to be found in search engines.
- do not trust their advice. Always think they are looking at their own interest. Your interest may be opposite (very likely).
- close dates when you are sure to be full on your own or ensure more expensive on Booking.
- contrat may bind you with a price parity term. Read it carefully and find ways around it (different room names, different cancellation terms, offer without breakfast, ...)
- find solutions to reduce the commission: do not include breakfast on Booking, Family room for 4 but sometimes booked for 1 (keep 4 persons price)
- educate guests (and ensure) that direct is better and explain why. Here, some hotels are cheaper on Booking: best way to tell guests to book on booking next time. Disastrous.
- add a line on your bill "including xx$ commission to booking"
- place a stamp on the bill with "Next time, book direct with us!"
- do not use the booking button (not sure you have it there). 3% commission if small but you offer your priceless guests to Booking who will flood them with emails.
- do not place links toward Booking on your website.
- show clearly on your website the advantages of booking directly
- care for their guests to avoir bad reviews: you cannot answer back
- answer to reviews in TripA with subtle mention of better direct "…, …, and thank you for having booked direct" or "next time, prefer booking direct on our website as we propose this and that".
- enjoy no shows: do withdraw on their credit card as agreed. Room ready, charged without commission. They might think that Booking withdrawn from them, not you. Also charge when guest booked the wrong date but show more flexibility with direct guests.
- create human link when they stay
Lastly, you are a fresh market, things might be a little different, but not much. Look at what hotels in France end-up doing to get back their place: http://www.fairbooking.com/en/
This is a big business, now, not for dreamers anymore. Do not loose your share.
Booking will definitively use you as much as possible. Do the same!.
I agree with most of your points. What I strongly disagree with is changing your name on any listing. NAP+W (name, address, phone & website) on all listings is a MUST. Google is getting more and more strict and will lower your organic listings if your NAP+W are not all the same.
I don't think he is necessarily suggesting changing your name just on that one listing site, but actually changing your business name!
It's a good point. Your business name ought to be sufficiently unique that your website will be Google's only possible choice to display at the top of the results page for a search on that name.
Edit: not fast enough on the post. I think the point is good, though, that your name needs to be different / unique from others on the listing site.

I confirm, Booking is great. Great at bringing bookings, but also very efficient marketing. Join Booking, next day, they use your name in Google adword to try to divert your guests to your website, few days/weeks later, thousands of websites affiliated with Booking will promote your property, several of them using again your property name with the same adwords. "Check the prices" will pop up in TripAdvisor, Google, GoogleMaps, all linked to Booking, etc, etc. They'll be everywhere trying to take your oxygen. Commissions shared between them. Big party ...
Booking have a much better reputation than Expedia (Expedia is at a very low 1.8 on trustpilot.com while Booking is at 8,5/10).
Join them at your own risk. Limit the risk by understanding them in depth. This is a tool. Do not let the tool use you!
Here my advices:
- as about 30% of Booking's visitors will also visit the property's own website, ensure your website is optimised for conversion. If more difficult to book than on Booking.com, guests will return to Booking for confirming.
- for the same reason, the name of your the property in Booking should, when searched in Google, reach a Google page where your website is very visible at the top. Adjust your name if necessary. Visitors will copy your name in Booking and search in in Google.
- for the same reason, your website proposal must be better than Booking's: better look, better prices, better cancellation terms, more information, more and bigger pictures, better prices, special offers, efficient booking engine, ...
- for the same reason your offer on Booking should be worse: no full rooms pictures, just details,
- they DO accept to stop pay per clic. They have such special negociations/agreements with big chains (check it in Google), they have it with me and other colleagues. Force your way through. This is disrespectful behaviour and an appaling way to start a partnership with you. It is like placing a Booking Salesperson in front of your property. No! If Booking wins on this, you are unlikely to convince others not to do it. If you win, "Bravo!" but keep checking, they are likely to "forget" about it.
- fight for this pay per clic only if you are well positionned in seach engine results with the name of your property (see above). Otherwise, it is useless. Like if your B&B name is "The Cellar", your site will unlikely be on 1st page. Visitors will not find you with that in Google. So, you either buy "The Cellar" adwords yourself and stop Booking from doing it. But better choose as name in Booking something like "The Summerbell Cellar" where you are sure to be found in search engines.
- do not trust their advice. Always think they are looking at their own interest. Your interest may be opposite (very likely).
- close dates when you are sure to be full on your own or ensure more expensive on Booking.
- contrat may bind you with a price parity term. Read it carefully and find ways around it (different room names, different cancellation terms, offer without breakfast, ...)
- find solutions to reduce the commission: do not include breakfast on Booking, Family room for 4 but sometimes booked for 1 (keep 4 persons price)
- educate guests (and ensure) that direct is better and explain why. Here, some hotels are cheaper on Booking: best way to tell guests to book on booking next time. Disastrous.
- do not use the booking button (not sure you have it there). 3% commission if small but you offer your priceless guests to Booking who will flood them with emails.
- answer to reviews in TripA with subtle mention of better direct "…, …, and thank you for having booked direct" or "next time, prefer booking direct on our website as we propose this and that".
- enjoy no shows: do withdraw on their credit card as agreed. Room ready, charged without commission. They might think that Booking withdrawn from them, not you. Also charge when guest booked the wrong date but show more flexibility with direct guests.
Lastly, you are a fresh market, things might be a little different, but not much. Look at what hotels in France end-up doing to get back their place: http://www.fairbooking.com/en/
I agree with most of your points. What I strongly disagree with is changing your name on any listing. NAP+W (name, address, phone & website) on all listings is a MUST. Google is getting more and more strict and will lower your organic listings if your NAP+W are not all the same.
I don't think he is necessarily suggesting changing your name just on that one listing site, but actually changing your business name!
It's a good point. Your business name ought to be sufficiently unique that your website will be Google's only possible choice to display at the top of the results page for a search on that name.
Edit: not fast enough on the post. I think the point is good, though, that your name needs to be different / unique from others on the listing site.
Harborfields said:
Your business name ought to be sufficiently unique that your website will be Google's only possible choice to display at the top of the results page for a search on that name.
I have that covered, but nobody can spell or pronounce the name!
I'm the Orville Redenbacher of guesthouses!

Here my advices:
Booking will not show yourphone & website. I did not mean changing totally the property name, just adding an extra word to differenciate it.
Properties will sometimes add "B&B" to their name on Booking. You might just add a distinctive word.
If 2 B&B have same same "The Barn", it might be wise to call it "The Barn Fermont" on Booking, for example. Google might actually like it as the address includes Fermont. Your website already mention "Fermont", then you should be already well placed in Google on "The Barn Fermont" and will find your website easily.
I agree that you should not try to trick Google. Does not last.
souslechene said:
Booking will not show yourphone & website. I did not mean changing totally the property name, just adding an extra word to differenciate it.
Properties will sometimes add "B&B" to their name on Booking. You might just add a distinctive word.
If 2 B&B have same same "The Barn", it might be wise to call it "The Barn Fermont" on Booking, for example. Google might actually like it as the address includes Fermont. Your website already mention "Fermont", then you should be already well placed in Google on "The Barn Fermont" and will find your website easily.
So are you suggesting for example, someone say "Claiborne House B&B on the Crooked Road" vs Claiborne House B&B of Virginia, as is said now? I ask in earnest, thank you.

Here my advices:
souslechene said:
So are you suggesting for example, someone say "Claiborne House B&B on the Crooked Road" vs Claiborne House B&B of Virginia, as is said now? I ask in earnest, thank you.
Joey Bloggs said:
souslechene said:
The aim is to ensure that, when guests copy the "name of the property on your Booking page" and paste it into a search engine, they reach a page which is as much as possible "yours". Your website at top, then your Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, ... pages (best is only commission free websites, but difficult to push the likes of Booking/TripA on 2nd page!).
Use Booking to bring you direct bookings.
If your B&B have similar name as another one, adding a word from your address will likely bring you up and the other out. This is a good improvement.
If your B&B have a very common name, like "The cellar", you will almost never have your "own" page. Too much competition from wine industry. Visitors won't find you. Adding an extra word will make it easier to jump that competition.
The best, of course, is to have a unique name. Visitors will go through tens of websites before deciding. Make sure your name make it easy to find you. Else, pay commissions...
(I tried to make it short!)

Here my advices:
souslechene said:
Joey Bloggs said:
souslechene said:
The aim is to ensure that, when guests copy the "name of the property on your Booking page" and paste it into a search engine, they reach a page which is as much as possible "yours". Your website at top, then your Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, ... pages (best is only commission free websites, but difficult to push the likes of Booking/TripA on 2nd page!).
Use Booking to bring you direct bookings.
If your B&B have similar name as another one, adding a word from your address will likely bring you up and the other out. This is a good improvement.
If your B&B have a very common name, like "The cellar", you will almost never have your "own" page. Too much competition from wine industry. Visitors won't find you. Adding an extra word will make it easier to jump that competition.
The best, of course, is to have a unique name. Visitors will go through tens of websites before deciding. Make sure your name make it easy to find you. Else, pay commissions...
souslechene said:
Good job! I read every word. Thanks!

Just had a 3 night rez come in directly from someone who used booking last summer and who gave us a wonderful review.
Sweet!

Just received an email from booking saying if we do not let guests cancel without penalty over the next 3 days, they will be charging a commission.
Seriously? Since when do they get to decide who can cancel or not?
This is due to the snow, btw.

Just received an email from booking saying if we do not let guests cancel without penalty over the next 3 days, they will be charging a commission.
This is due to the snow, btw..
Madeleine said:
I was on the phone just this morning with booking, setting up my account, and I remember her saying that if someone wants to cancel, I need to refer them to booking because the reservation is not mine to cancel, it's theirs. So I guess they make the rules!

This is due to the snow, btw..
Madeleine said:
I was on the phone just this morning with booking, setting up my account, and I remember her saying that if someone wants to cancel, I need to refer them to booking because the reservation is not mine to cancel, it's theirs. So I guess they make the rules!
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
But the 'rules' are that you make the rules! They are saying we (WE, not THEM) should be generous due to the storm. Yes, make sure the guest cancels the reservation with booking, not you.

In the setup of My-Allocator to pass ResKey data to Booking, I noticed the following...
Here you can enter a specific rate difference for BookingDOTcom. For example, if this channel charges 5% more fees than other channels you can set "+ (%)" in the dropdown list and "5.00" in the text field. Upon update our system will automatically add 5% to the room's rate when uploading the availability.
Can you do this? Can you raise the rates displayed at Booking to offset their commission? Or is that a violation of the rules?

In the setup of My-Allocator to pass ResKey data to Booking, I noticed the following...
Here you can enter a specific rate difference for BookingDOTcom. For example, if this channel charges 5% more fees than other channels you can set "+ (%)" in the dropdown list and "5.00" in the text field. Upon update our system will automatically add 5% to the room's rate when uploading the availability.
Can you do this? Can you raise the rates displayed at Booking to offset their commission? Or is that a violation of the rules?.
The way I understood it, you can't make the rates on booking higher than your rack rate on your own site.

Here is the quote from the email I just received:
We ask for your cooperation and flexibility in waiving any no-show or penalty charges associated with reservations between February 13th and February 17th.
Please be advised that if:
The fee for cancelling the reservation is waived in full, Booking.com will not charge commission.
The fee for cancelling the reservation is partially waived, Booking.com will modify the commission accordingly if you make an exception for this guest.
Humm Now I need to go back and look at our contract. I was unaware they could change their policies on us. Their regular policy is that if a customer cancels within your cancel period and must pay fee, booking.com does not charge the property a commission on that fee.

Arks, you are correct. The customer is THEIR customer and must cancel through booking.com. This is for OUR good though as it assures we will not be charged commission.

Can you do this? Can you raise the rates displayed at Booking to offset their commission? Or is that a violation of the rules?.
The way I understood it, you can't make the rates on booking higher than your rack rate on your own site.
Madeleine said:
Correct.
This is true with most of the biggie sites, but some others allow you to increase the rate. Maybe that is why it was added to the program.

Here is the quote from the email I just received:
We ask for your cooperation and flexibility in waiving any no-show or penalty charges associated with reservations between February 13th and February 17th.
Please be advised that if:
The fee for cancelling the reservation is waived in full, Booking.com will not charge commission.
The fee for cancelling the reservation is partially waived, Booking.com will modify the commission accordingly if you make an exception for this guest.
Humm Now I need to go back and look at our contract. I was unaware they could change their policies on us. Their regular policy is that if a customer cancels within your cancel period and must pay fee, booking.com does not charge the property a commission on that fee.

Arks, you are correct. The customer is THEIR customer and must cancel through booking.com. This is for OUR good though as it assures we will not be charged commission..
Yup, same one I got.

If you, for instance, wished to use a similar name on booking.com but not the same name as all your thousands of blog articles and online marketing, what would you suggest, for er us, for example...?

If you, for instance, wished to use a similar name on booking.com but not the same name as all your thousands of blog articles and online marketing, what would you suggest, for er us, for example...?.
Joey Bloggs said:
If you, for instance, wished to use a similar name on booking.com but not the same name as all your thousands of blog articles and online marketing, what would you suggest, for er us, for example...?
Name of your town + B&B

If you, for instance, wished to use a similar name on booking.com but not the same name as all your thousands of blog articles and online marketing, what would you suggest, for er us, for example...?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Name of your town + B&B
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Name of your town + B&B
TOWN NAME first you recommend? Email me if you can.

Joey Bloggs said:
Name of your town + B&B
Madeleine said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Name of your town + B&B
TOWN NAME first you recommend? Email me if you can.
Sorry, my email program is giving me fits. Yes, town name and then b&b.
China grove b&b
Or, town, state + b&b. China grove, tx b&b
Or, maybe even the music road + b&b. Yes, I like that better. I would go to Google to see what search terms really produce and use that.

I have not seen US contracts, but I suppose that the rate parity clause of your contract should include exeptions.
In France, rate parity will fall if your website have different cancelation policies, different arrival times, packaged offer (breakfast included), hotel card members, ...
I feel it is important to have a better offer direct (prices, terms, ...) so that visitors will learn that they should always check official website. Should you offer same or cheaper prices on Booking, guests will find easier to book through them.
Regarding guests "ownership", remember it for when you will sell your business. If guests are yours, you can sell them. If they are Booking's, you cannot. Hotel owners in France, trying to sell their business and take retirement money, found most of the value of their goodwill gone as bank of buyers could not be convinced it was part of the purchase...

-

Back