After 4 months with Booking.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just noticed I got my first review on booking. I was on there updating something and saw it. Apparently they don't send any e-mail notice when reviews come in.
I got a 10 on everything except location, where they gave a 7. I guess being 2 blocks from the US highway is just way inconvenient ;-)
Averaged out to a 9.8 so I cannot complain!.
Just read this thread. Posted before I joined. My two cents--
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air! Actual driving distance is 90 km. A bit of a difference. Ha! They said they have the web developers looking at this since I'm not the only person bringing this to their attention. Moral of the story: try to book your place a few different ways. Still, they've provided me with bookings that I normally wouldn't have had and they've filled the gap that I hope will be a little smaller now that I'll have Reservation Key up and running on my site soon.
2cat_lady said:
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air!
That is a STUPID default. I think you can turn it off yourself, of course you have to KNOW they made that change in the first place. We got one rez like that and I told the guest I had to have her cc info before the rez could go thru. (She turned out to be a grumpy guest, maybe because I req'd the cc info!)
Then, like you, I called booking to find out why they allowed that. 'Oh, that's the last minute default...no cc info needed!' Got that fixed!
You would THINK that you could turn it off yourself. They say you can in your settings, but I couldn't find that option in my settings. So I called, and customer service couldn't see it. They asked a supervisor and THEY couldn't do it. So two supervisor's said that the high ups would take it off. I needed two calls to take it off before it finally worked. You have to keep checking!! But I must admit, it was good when I was slow. I only had two bookings on my own going into September but they kept me working the whole month and even going into October and November.

Just noticed I got my first review on booking. I was on there updating something and saw it. Apparently they don't send any e-mail notice when reviews come in.
I got a 10 on everything except location, where they gave a 7. I guess being 2 blocks from the US highway is just way inconvenient ;-)
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air! Actual driving distance is 90 km. A bit of a difference. Ha! They said they have the web developers looking at this since I'm not the only person bringing this to their attention. Moral of the story: try to book your place a few different ways. Still, they've provided me with bookings that I normally wouldn't have had and they've filled the gap that I hope will be a little smaller now that I'll have Reservation Key up and running on my site soon.
2cat_lady said:
...it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!)...
So far I've always gotten CC info. Maybe I found that and set it to require the info when I signed up. For once I got lucky!
When I get a reservation through booking, I don't see the cc info in booking, but it's displayed in MyAllocator. MyAllocator is a middleman that picks up my availability calendar and rates from ResKey and passes them on to booking.

2cat_lady said:
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air!
That is a STUPID default. I think you can turn it off yourself, of course you have to KNOW they made that change in the first place. We got one rez like that and I told the guest I had to have her cc info before the rez could go thru. (She turned out to be a grumpy guest, maybe because I req'd the cc info!)
Then, like you, I called booking to find out why they allowed that. 'Oh, that's the last minute default...no cc info needed!' Got that fixed!
You would THINK that you could turn it off yourself. They say you can in your settings, but I couldn't find that option in my settings. So I called, and customer service couldn't see it. They asked a supervisor and THEY couldn't do it. So two supervisor's said that the high ups would take it off. I needed two calls to take it off before it finally worked. You have to keep checking!! But I must admit, it was good when I was slow. I only had two bookings on my own going into September but they kept me working the whole month and even going into October and November.
We did very well with them in September also. I require 2 night mins in the summer months or they'd be here for one night every night. Taking up space that direct bookings will fill with 3-4 nighters.
Right now we're getting nothing from them. And they keep hassling me to list rooms for a year in advance. I don't even know what next year's prices are yet! I don't get around to this until January.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
You would THINK that you could turn it off yourself. They say you can in your settings, but I couldn't find that option in my settings.
FYI for anyone looking for this info:
Select the "Property Info" tab;
Under the "Property Level" section on the left, select "My Settings"
then scroll down to the section titled 'Last-minute bookings without credit card details'
Make sure all the check boxes are UNCHECKED
Then save at the bottom of the page.

2cat_lady said:
We did very well with them in September also. I require 2 night mins in the summer months or they'd be here for one night every night. Taking up space that direct bookings will fill with 3-4 nighters.
Right now we're getting nothing from them. And they keep hassling me to list rooms for a year in advance. I don't even know what next year's prices are yet! I don't get around to this until January.
Maddie, give them a month or 2 and they will be off your back. If you change your rates you can easily go in and update.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
Go to: Property Info-My Settings
That's where the no cc needed info is set. Along with other setting you might want to change like allowing same day check-ins until midnight. No thank you!
If you don't see those options you have to call again and have them turn them on so you can change them. They may hem and haw and say you have to be a certain property type, blah, blah, blah.

2cat_lady said:
Maddie, give them a month or 2 and they will be off your back. If you change your rates you can easily go in and update.
Copperhead said:
I know, but I'm not sure about my vacation so I don't want to make a mistake and have to take someone because I forgot to block the dates!
Plus, if I add the dates, I then have to call and have someone blank the whole calendar out while I'm away because I still can't use booking on any device I own other than my laptop, which I don't bring on vacation. Another problem, for another day. ;-)

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
You would THINK that you could turn it off yourself. They say you can in your settings, but I couldn't find that option in my settings.
then scroll down to the section titled 'Last-minute bookings without credit card details'
Okay, here's the thing. I don't have those detail on my page. Don't know if my version is different from others (Canadian), because when talking to Customer Service, they said the same thing until they actually pulled up my account on their screen and saw that it did not have those options. Why? Good question.

2cat_lady said:
2cat_lady said:
Okay, here's the thing. I don't have those detail on my page. Don't know if my version is different from others (Canadian), because when talking to Customer Service, they said the same thing until they actually pulled up my account on their screen and saw that it did not have those options. Why? Good question.
2cat_lady said:
Yup. I had the same issues. The tech on the phone kept acting like I was stupid when I said I didn't have the options. Eventually, they figured out how to give me the options. That's why you have to call back. Get another tech. Keep calling. Eventually you will get one who says, 'Oh, yeah, I just have to turn that on for you, no problem. We usually only allow that for x type properties.'
Their turnover is so high that no one knows what's going on. I've had 10 different acct reps in 18 months. Now they don't even bother telling me the rep has changed because you can't contact them any other way than email thru your account page. You can call, but you never know who will answer.

2cat_lady said:
Copperhead said:
I know, but I'm not sure about my vacation so I don't want to make a mistake and have to take someone because I forgot to block the dates!
Plus, if I add the dates, I then have to call and have someone blank the whole calendar out while I'm away because I still can't use booking on any device I own other than my laptop, which I don't bring on vacation. Another problem, for another day. ;-)
you can you just have to go through the authorisation process on more than one device ie we have it on 2 laptops and an ipad.

2cat_lady said:
Copperhead said:
you can you just have to go through the authorisation process on more than one device ie we have it on 2 laptops and an ipad.
Joey Camb said:
It's not authorizing that doesn't work. Once I'm logged in I can't make any changes.
Ex - a date sells out from direct reservations. I can't go in and block that date from the booking site. I have to call them to do it. I can't change prices. All I can do is look at the chart.

As long as we're fussing about booking, why on earth in this day and age can they not handle getting a state name for US bookings! All they send is person's name, street, city and zip code. I always have to do a Google search on the zip to know where they're coming from.
Granted, not essential info, but I like to know for my records, and my curiosity.

As long as we're fussing about booking, why on earth in this day and age can they not handle getting a state name for US bookings! All they send is person's name, street, city and zip code. I always have to do a Google search on the zip to know where they're coming from.
Granted, not essential info, but I like to know for my records, and my curiosity..
Arks said:
Granted, not essential info, but I like to know for my records, and my curiosity.
Bingo!
A lot of times it's easy if it's a recognizable city. With a zip code.

Granted, not essential info, but I like to know for my records, and my curiosity..
Arks said:
Bingo!
I think there is a Springfield in every State.

Arks said:
Bingo!
gillumhouse said:
But a different zip code. You can narrow it down without looking them up.

Back