After 4 months with Booking.com

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the setup of My-Allocator to pass ResKey data to Booking, I noticed the following...
Here you can enter a specific rate difference for BookingDOTcom. For example, if this channel charges 5% more fees than other channels you can set "+ (%)" in the dropdown list and "5.00" in the text field. Upon update our system will automatically add 5% to the room's rate when uploading the availability.
Can you do this? Can you raise the rates displayed at Booking to offset their commission? Or is that a violation of the rules?.
The way I understood it, you can't make the rates on booking higher than your rack rate on your own site.
I have not seen US contracts, but I suppose that the rate parity clause of your contract should include exeptions.
In France, rate parity will fall if your website have different cancelation policies, different arrival times, packaged offer (breakfast included), hotel card members, ...
I feel it is important to have a better offer direct (prices, terms, ...) so that visitors will learn that they should always check official website. Should you offer same or cheaper prices on Booking, guests will find easier to book through them.
Regarding guests "ownership", remember it for when you will sell your business. If guests are yours, you can sell them. If they are Booking's, you cannot. Hotel owners in France, trying to sell their business and take retirement money, found most of the value of their goodwill gone as bank of buyers could not be convinced it was part of the purchase...
When I set up rates for this year (sometime last year) I had no idea what my rates would be for this year so I picked a number. as it turns out that number is higher than what I am charging directly. NO ONE has checked to see if they could have gotten better rates with me because booking clearly states, everywhere, that they offer the lowest prices on the web.
So, the appearance is that I am making more with these reservations than if they did book directly. (Of course that's not true because of the commission!)

In the setup of My-Allocator to pass ResKey data to Booking, I noticed the following...
Here you can enter a specific rate difference for BookingDOTcom. For example, if this channel charges 5% more fees than other channels you can set "+ (%)" in the dropdown list and "5.00" in the text field. Upon update our system will automatically add 5% to the room's rate when uploading the availability.
Can you do this? Can you raise the rates displayed at Booking to offset their commission? Or is that a violation of the rules?.
The way I understood it, you can't make the rates on booking higher than your rack rate on your own site.
I have not seen US contracts, but I suppose that the rate parity clause of your contract should include exeptions.
In France, rate parity will fall if your website have different cancelation policies, different arrival times, packaged offer (breakfast included), hotel card members, ...
I feel it is important to have a better offer direct (prices, terms, ...) so that visitors will learn that they should always check official website. Should you offer same or cheaper prices on Booking, guests will find easier to book through them.
Regarding guests "ownership", remember it for when you will sell your business. If guests are yours, you can sell them. If they are Booking's, you cannot. Hotel owners in France, trying to sell their business and take retirement money, found most of the value of their goodwill gone as bank of buyers could not be convinced it was part of the purchase...
When I set up rates for this year (sometime last year) I had no idea what my rates would be for this year so I picked a number. as it turns out that number is higher than what I am charging directly. NO ONE has checked to see if they could have gotten better rates with me because booking clearly states, everywhere, that they offer the lowest prices on the web.
So, the appearance is that I am making more with these reservations than if they did book directly. (Of course that's not true because of the commission!)
Madeleine said:
I suppose you are not following your contract with them and they might give you a call some day. But, in view of the situation here in Europe, with widespread discussions about the legality of the parity clause, I suppose Booking prefers to keep quiet on this issue. At least on this side of the Atlantic.
Still, you'd better get back to following your contract and find legal ways to turn this point around. I suppose your contract may allow it. May be just change arrival time, or free cancellation period.
Yes, Booking is pushing the limits when saying "lowest prices" and "no commission". Seems law keeps quiet on this point. It is a clever and very competitive company. They try to use all the legal tricks to get commissions from your guests. It is our job to understand how they operate and keep control of our business. This is not a dreamers' job anymore.
sad_smile.gif

My Booking listing finally went live today. It took a week for me to find time to get it all working between ResKey, my-allocator, and Booking, but it's finally picking my ResKey availability calendar up and showing it on Booking.
They say it's a 2-way connection so if someone books via the Booking website, ResKey will remove that room from inventory automatically. Hope so!!

My Booking listing finally went live today. It took a week for me to find time to get it all working between ResKey, my-allocator, and Booking, but it's finally picking my ResKey availability calendar up and showing it on Booking.
They say it's a 2-way connection so if someone books via the Booking website, ResKey will remove that room from inventory automatically. Hope so!!.
Arks said:
They say it's a 2-way connection so if someone books via the Booking website, ResKey will remove that room from inventory automatically. Hope so!!
I suggest you make a booking to yourself, then cancel it. This will ensure it all works fine. But mostly, it will help you better understand how Booking is taking care of your customers and making sure all terms are fine.

They say it's a 2-way connection so if someone books via the Booking website, ResKey will remove that room from inventory automatically. Hope so!!.
Arks said:
I suggest you make a booking to yourself, then cancel it. This will ensure it all works fine. But mostly, it will help you better understand how Booking is taking care of your customers and making sure all terms are fine.
That's a great idea! I've been on booking for over a year, but you know, that had never occurred to me. I should have done that when I started.

Arks said:
I did select dates and carry a booking almost to the end, and did find a problem I have contacted them to fix (see below). Doing a booking then cancelling is a great idea.
The problem: I noticed they had my room description set to:
Maximum People: 2
Maximum Children: 0
But I allow up to 4 people, and I DO allow children. So I contacted them and had them set the description to maximum of 4, with maximum children at 3, since I require 1 adult but the other three could be children.
When I ran an experimental booking, it came up with this in the room description, using icons to indicate big people and little people:
Maximum: 4 adults + 3 children
Occupancy of 7!! So I've contacted them again to set maximum 4 and no children, so the description will come out right.
Also, my policy is that the room rate covers up to 2 people, but it's $10 per person per night extra for 3rd and 4th guests in the room. But Booking shows this in my property description:
Free! Up to two children under 2 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
Any additional older children or adults are charged USD 10 per person per night when using existing beds.
So that's a bit confusing. I guess they are saying 2 children under age 2 could pile into the king size bed with their parents for free, but if they are older and would require opening the sofa bed, that would cost extra. I suppose this is OK with me, but unexpected. It's not something they told me about.

Arks said:
I did select dates and carry a booking almost to the end, and did find a problem I have contacted them to fix (see below). Doing a booking then cancelling is a great idea.
But I allow up to 4 people, and I DO allow children. So I contacted them and had them set the description to maximum of 4, with maximum children at 3, since I require 1 adult but the other three could be children.
When I ran an experimental booking, it came up with this in the room description, using icons to indicate big people and little people:
Occupancy of 7!! So I've contacted them again to set maximum 4 and no children, so the description will come out right.
Also, my policy is that the room rate covers up to 2 people, but it's $10 per person per night extra for 3rd and 4th guests in the room. But Booking shows this in my property description:
Free! Up to two children under 2 years stay free of charge when using existing beds.
Any additional older children or adults are charged USD 10 per person per night when using existing beds.
So that's a bit confusing. I guess they are saying 2 children under age 2 could pile into the king size bed with their parents for free, but if they are older and would require opening the sofa bed, that would cost extra. I suppose this is OK with me, but unexpected. It's not something they told me about.
Arks, I would just have them remove the 2 and under info. It is confusing if you are saying 0 children.
What they mean by existing beds are the beds (including sofa bed) which currently exist in the room. No additional cot or baby bed that would need to be added to the room. - That was the answer I got when I asked.

Arks said:
You can get that fixed. Tell them there is a charge regardless of age.
We had to set it to 2 adults. But I only put the rooms as occ of 2.
It takes awhile to tweak it.

Arks said:
I saw this from John Rezkey moments ago.

Arks said:
Joey Bloggs said:
thumbs_up.gif
Don't completely understand what he's talking about, but so glad that HE does!

Arks said:
Just had a cancellation from booking for this weekend. The guest called me. I explained she needed to contact booking so they could let me know. 'If I call them I have to pay a fee, I thought you could just cancel it for me so I don't have to pay them.'

Arks said:
Just had a cancellation from booking for this weekend. The guest called me. I explained she needed to contact booking so they could let me know. 'If I call them I have to pay a fee, I thought you could just cancel it for me so I don't have to pay them.'
Sometimes you just have to laugh or you'll cry!

Arks said:
you feel like saying and who do you think the fee is paid to?

Arks said:
copperhead said:
This is one good thing about booking...I don't have to take the crap, they do.

Just noticed I got my first review on booking. I was on there updating something and saw it. Apparently they don't send any e-mail notice when reviews come in.
I got a 10 on everything except location, where they gave a 7. I guess being 2 blocks from the US highway is just way inconvenient ;-)
Averaged out to a 9.8 so I cannot complain!

Just noticed I got my first review on booking. I was on there updating something and saw it. Apparently they don't send any e-mail notice when reviews come in.
I got a 10 on everything except location, where they gave a 7. I guess being 2 blocks from the US highway is just way inconvenient ;-)
Averaged out to a 9.8 so I cannot complain!.
Just read this thread. Posted before I joined. My two cents--
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air! Actual driving distance is 90 km. A bit of a difference. Ha! They said they have the web developers looking at this since I'm not the only person bringing this to their attention. Moral of the story: try to book your place a few different ways. Still, they've provided me with bookings that I normally wouldn't have had and they've filled the gap that I hope will be a little smaller now that I'll have Reservation Key up and running on my site soon.

We were with b.com last year. After taking a good look at the bookings I realized that they only really booked in my high season when I do not need their help. Had a number of guests book with them confused thinking they were booking directly we me. We parted our ways and this year is our best ever so far - as it turned out - we do not need them at all.

Averaged out to a 9.8 so I cannot complain!.
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air! Actual driving distance is 90 km. A bit of a difference. Ha! They said they have the web developers looking at this since I'm not the only person bringing this to their attention. Moral of the story: try to book your place a few different ways. Still, they've provided me with bookings that I normally wouldn't have had and they've filled the gap that I hope will be a little smaller now that I'll have Reservation Key up and running on my site soon.
2cat_lady said:
joined Booking.com end of August and got two reservations before I even got my sign up confirmation from Booking! I've only had one no show and of course no credit card info. Apparently, if you tried to reserve a room from their site, it let the customers reserve without providing credit info (?!) As this was a last minute reservation, couldn't verify with the guest, they wouldn't answer their phone and would go into a voicemail that hadn't been set up. When I call Booking, was told that I had to verbally opt out of this. Two calls to two different supervisors and they finally got it off their site. One other problem, depending on where someone located me on their site, I was only 40 km from the capital-- by air!
That is a STUPID default. I think you can turn it off yourself, of course you have to KNOW they made that change in the first place. We got one rez like that and I told the guest I had to have her cc info before the rez could go thru. (She turned out to be a grumpy guest, maybe because I req'd the cc info!)
Then, like you, I called booking to find out why they allowed that. 'Oh, that's the last minute default...no cc info needed!' Got that fixed!

Back