End of Season fatigue has set in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funny, just noticed same yesterday. No vacations for us until Oct. 18 so have hold on as Sept. is very busy here.

We are now on day 73 of no days off, 100% occupancy past 13 days; only 3 rooms tonight Yay! Looking ahead, as school has started in many parts of the country, we are now into the downswing. Phew, we survived. And yes, it has been a more yuckier sticker hotter summer than usual..
Day 90 here. The 22nd of May was the last time I had no guests. And the next possible day that I have no guests is the 21st of October. That will make it 152 days... but I'm pretty much willing to bet that it will actually be November before I have a day with no guests. Although it is starting to thin...
Had to check- last time we had an empty house it was April 21-that was my last "day off"

It does get to you by this time of year. We've been busy since Easter, had 6 days off since then. I can always tell when it's really getting to DH, normally he's very chatty in the mornings in the breakfast room, by now not so.
Don't want to wish what remains of the summer away, not had much of one weatherwise here anyway, but have two weeks in Mexico booked for the start of Nov. and can't wait for that..
Nice. We are off to India on Oct 18 for 3 weeks - first 3 weeks vacation in 10 years!!!

I'm off for a vacation tomorrow as soon as the fluffs are done!!!!! Just for Fri-Mon. The House is full but I got the maid and her sister to fill in for me. They want money before heading to college. Hope all goes well here.... I have a full schedule so its not going to be relaxing but recharging, yes!

Shelley has only not made breakfast 3 out of the last 41 days, so we are taking a few days in our busy season. She needs a break and deserves a break, so we're going inn-visiting! :)

No break since June 10th and no end in sight until about the second week in October. However, have two weeks booked in November to go back and visit my mom and my girls. By myself. And I've rented a car. And I've been saving my tip money. Soon I'll start counting down the days.
Still count myself as just starting out but planning a major trip to Ireland in two years time. That's my carrot..
Ireland is a great big green carrot!
Ireland is on our bucket list. Shelley and I have been to Scotland together twice and we LOVED it there. Both times we did road trips around. If it weren't for family, she would have moved us there.

Come to Podunk. It has been a particularly slow year topped off with dates blocked due to kids (my maintenance crew who came at Easter, and before and after), things Himself wanted to do (motorcycle event), City stuff (Conference). I am happy for all of you, believe me, I am. It is my wallet that is jealous.

BH- I am absolutely sympathetic to your pang. We just began a super long break after a long stretch of being very busy. I can not imagine what would happen if we didn't have that carrot out there in front of us. Now that it's here, we'll have the time we need to travel, gather new stories to share, get some projects done, give the inn a shakedown, and recharge our batteries. November will be here very soon..
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
TheBeachHouse said:
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
That works! We have friends who were totally burnt out the first year they were open. I got emails, tearful phone calls, etc asking how did we cope with the awful guests. I looked at their calendar and ours and told them to block two days, we were going on vacation! We did and they said it was amazing to realize they could do that. It helped them a lot just knowing it was possible to take care of themselves in that way.
Now we realize it's very important to take care of ourselves.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
That works! We have friends who were totally burnt out the first year they were open. I got emails, tearful phone calls, etc asking how did we cope with the awful guests. I looked at their calendar and ours and told them to block two days, we were going on vacation! We did and they said it was amazing to realize they could do that. It helped them a lot just knowing it was possible to take care of themselves in that way.
I gotta agree. We had a family wedding the first weekend in June. We closed the inn and offered the rooms to out of town wedding guests. If you do the math, you lost thousands. But why do the math? We had parties to attend! It mattered and it was the right thing to do.
... and therein lies the three legged stool. We have used that metaphor for a long time now to help us measure our overall experience. If one of the legs get out of balance, the stool falls over. So while I am going on and on about business and metrics and whatever, it is still just one third of our bottom line. This is why I said to PS that we don't look at the lost revenue from closing in the same way as some might. The legs can also be changed out when something gains importance in the moment.
What's the other leg? Business/Personal Life/ ?? I got it! Wine, right?
Scotch/Ice/Cigar
happykeeper said:
Scotch/Ice/Cigar
thumbs_up.gif
heart.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
It was 90 degrees out.
It was 59 F/15 C when I went out for my morning walk today. I was in a t-shirt wishing I had a jacket on! Can't believe the wonderful cool, wet August we've had. Climate change is working out well for us. But poor California. I really feel sorry for them. Everybody moved from here to California in the dust bowl days. Now we may be welcoming them back home! I have 5 rooms available :) Bully!

No break since June 10th and no end in sight until about the second week in October. However, have two weeks booked in November to go back and visit my mom and my girls. By myself. And I've rented a car. And I've been saving my tip money. Soon I'll start counting down the days.
Still count myself as just starting out but planning a major trip to Ireland in two years time. That's my carrot..
Ireland is on our bucket list. Shelley and I have been to Scotland together twice and we LOVED it there. Both times we did road trips around. If it weren't for family, she would have moved us there.
we loved scotland- a lot
we loved the north part of Ireland- a lot
We are traveling with friends next August to revisit them. Highly recommend Edinburgh during the fringe festival in August and the Tattoo at the castle during that time. We almost never recommend festivals, but this is an incredible one. It is the mother of all fringes.

I'm off for a vacation tomorrow as soon as the fluffs are done!!!!! Just for Fri-Mon. The House is full but I got the maid and her sister to fill in for me. They want money before heading to college. Hope all goes well here.... I have a full schedule so its not going to be relaxing but recharging, yes!.
I love to hear your getting away even when you are full. Nice to have folks you can rely on.

I'm off for a vacation tomorrow as soon as the fluffs are done!!!!! Just for Fri-Mon. The House is full but I got the maid and her sister to fill in for me. They want money before heading to college. Hope all goes well here.... I have a full schedule so its not going to be relaxing but recharging, yes!.
I love to hear your getting away even when you are full. Nice to have folks you can rely on.
Last chance until Oct to get away!

we loved scotland- a lot
We are traveling with friends next August to revisit them. Highly recommend Edinburgh during the fringe festival in August and the Tattoo at the castle during that time. We almost never recommend festivals, but this is an incredible one. It is the mother of all fringes.
I agree I loved Scotland My mother was from Edinburgh . Been there a few times. Yes you must try and see the tattoo. There is not thing like the tattoo any where. I really loved the highlands. And the wee stone cottages. Where Highland John is it is a beautiful place to visit also. Loved all over there from England to Scotland and Whales it was truly a beautiful land to travel through.

we loved scotland- a lot
I agree I loved Scotland My mother was from Edinburgh . Been there a few times. Yes you must try and see the tattoo. There is not thing like the tattoo any where. I really loved the highlands. And the wee stone cottages. Where Highland John is it is a beautiful place to visit also. Loved all over there from England to Scotland and Whales it was truly a beautiful land to travel through.
The first time I went to Scotland, I went by myself on a business trip. I had a few extra days, so I drove around and made to a little town called Oban. Fantastic town. Mostly spent my time talking with the locals. They thought I had a strange accent (mildly Southern, but I exaggerated it a bit).
One night during my class, some of my fellow students and I walked down to a local pub. It just so happened that Scotland was playing South Africa (or somebody) in a rugby championship game. The pub quickly filled up and we watched the game. Even though none of us were from Scotland, we just cheered on with everyone else. It got really loud and crazy, but it was a blast. They figured out I wasn't a local when I used my Southern cheers and jeers (Yahoo!, come on, son!!, get that ball in the end-zone), but they got a kick out of it. What a blast.
Of all the beautiful lochs and majestic highland mountains, I enjoyed hanging out with the people the most.

BH- I am absolutely sympathetic to your pang. We just began a super long break after a long stretch of being very busy. I can not imagine what would happen if we didn't have that carrot out there in front of us. Now that it's here, we'll have the time we need to travel, gather new stories to share, get some projects done, give the inn a shakedown, and recharge our batteries. November will be here very soon..
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I gotta agree. We had a family wedding the first weekend in June. We closed the inn and offered the rooms to out of town wedding guests. If you do the math, you lost thousands. But why do the math? We had parties to attend! It mattered and it was the right thing to do.
... and therein lies the three legged stool. We have used that metaphor for a long time now to help us measure our overall experience. If one of the legs get out of balance, the stool falls over. So while I am going on and on about business and metrics and whatever, it is still just one third of our bottom line. This is why I said to PS that we don't look at the lost revenue from closing in the same way as some might. The legs can also be changed out when something gains importance in the moment.
This year we have tried to book off one day a week some times that has worked.
We just had a phone call from my best friend we known each other for over 40 years. She has just been told she has about 6 months to live.!!!! I am in limbo right now. I want so bad to get into the car a drive right there. NOW!
But know family needs time to adjust also. But tonight we decided to close shop up the middle of Sept and drive to Calgary.
It sure has brought us to our knees That taking time off is very very important Yes money maybe needed for mortgage payments and bills but time for mental heath is more important.
And Beachie is so right Wine is so good for the soul. ( on every level) I prefer mine slightly chilled . A nice crystal glass . A nice comphy chair a cool breeze moon light bouncing off the lake. Millions of stars to look at . Now that is life .

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
hit the button twice opps!!

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
We just had a phone call from my best friend we known each other for over 40 years. She has just been told she has about 6 months to live.!!!! I am in limbo right now. I want so bad to get into the car a drive right there. NOW!
But know family needs time to adjust also. But tonight we decided to close shop up the middle of Sept and drive to Calgary.
It sure has brought us to our knees That taking time off is very very important Yes money maybe needed for mortgage payments and bills but time for mental heath is more important.
And Beachie is so right Wine is so good for the soul. ( on every level) I prefer mine slightly chilled . A nice crystal glass . A nice comphy chair a cool breeze moon light bouncing off the lake. Millions of stars to look at . Now that is life .
Wow.. So very sorry for your bad news. Go. Hug. laugh, cry. It's part of the balance. Hugs.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
I have been in those very sad shoes. DO IT!! I recently was shredding a tub of old stuff and came upon a letter from a dear friend from grade school written shortly before she died of cancer. She wrote about the trip I gave her when we took the train to NYC (a place she had never been but wanted to see) to meet up with an innkeeper from Canada for 3 days. We both treasured that time together and it is something I think of often because we all enjoyed it so much.

This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now....

This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now.....
MtnLodge said:
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now....
please! :)

Back