End of Season fatigue has set in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BH- I am absolutely sympathetic to your pang. We just began a super long break after a long stretch of being very busy. I can not imagine what would happen if we didn't have that carrot out there in front of us. Now that it's here, we'll have the time we need to travel, gather new stories to share, get some projects done, give the inn a shakedown, and recharge our batteries. November will be here very soon..
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
TheBeachHouse said:
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
That works! We have friends who were totally burnt out the first year they were open. I got emails, tearful phone calls, etc asking how did we cope with the awful guests. I looked at their calendar and ours and told them to block two days, we were going on vacation! We did and they said it was amazing to realize they could do that. It helped them a lot just knowing it was possible to take care of themselves in that way.
Now we realize it's very important to take care of ourselves.
And from all accounts you have done a very good job this year! I am sure you are tired, but you are not burnt toast....good for you. We have also learned how to pace our selves....and as we have slowed down (now finishing our 26th year as innkeepers) we have limited the bookings and pace of the work here.
For the first time we were not open all winter in 2015, we blocked out substantial time for ourselves in the spring to get the place in shape, and we are closing the house as of TODAY!
So...instead of busting my butt cleaning to get ready for new arrivals, I harvested the garden, made pesto and we are heading out for a nice celebration dinner. Weekly guests in the cottage are leaving Sunday with returning guests taking their place.
I think I am going to like this pace!
shades_smile.gif

I love that you have been going for 26 years. It's so impressive. I am not sure we got going early enough to ever reach 26 years. Who knows. If the third option in our 5 year plan ends up being where we go, we would still have a long ways to 26.
Harvesting the garden sounds really nice, and celebrating sounds even better.
Thanks Happy, it sounds like you have things under control and are aware of the pitfall in trying to do it all.
it is really important to pace yourself if you plan to go the distance in this business. If you try to do it all....cook, clean, host (greet, socialize, offer concierge service etc), take reservations, blog, Facebook, network, bookkeep...and on and on...you will be wiped out in 6-7 years. It's great to make the money by working full out, but not worth it in the end if you find you have to sell the place to get a bit of your life back. Just MHO.
That's us in a nutshell. Our problem now is having to go back to full tilt in order to sell. Big discussions coming up when this season is over.
Yes, Mort....we are having our annual "Big Discussion" while we are in your state next month, taking some R+R away from it all. We have fallen back in our TA reviews as a result of taking fewer reservation and consequently getting fewer reviews. But since we are not building our business I am not too upset about it. We did more this year than I originally planned so we have a bit of a cushion for next year.
Stop by to say hi!

This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now.....
MtnLodge said:
This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now....
please! :)
Yes. Also grateful for a busy season. I will remember this as the year of one-nighters. I feel like Our Lady of the Perpetual Laundry. On the other hand, we're up by 31% over last year. Plus I've dropped pounds again!
I'm on track this year to hit a gross number that I n e v e r thought I would hit with a place this small. The goal was always to have the house pay its way. For the first few years it didn't. Last year it paid for a vacation and an unexpected end of year expense. This year 2 weeks road trip coming in the fall for us. Blocked out. Spent a couple of sweet hours yesterday evening looking at maps.
I love maps.
Sounds to me like you have hit your stride! Congratulations! Now if you can just figure out how to increase the length of each stay so you can lessen your work....have you considered a 2-night minimum on weekends?
Thought about it. So many have commented though that we're an 'in between here and there' place that I'll probably just run the gamut again next summer.
I will try to be better though about tracking local events and FB and blogging them to attract longer stays. Worth a try.
BUT the new vac rental in a neighboring city (its nearly done) will likely have a 2 night min. Too much work to commute for one-nighters there. the upside is the days I do the clean, I also get the shopping done. I may also find housekeeping help there. Need to find the right person as is not enough hours for most to bother.
Many people think of us as an in between two states, a pass through if you will. We keep a 2 night minimum and I turn away one nighters unless it's just a couple days out. Hasn't hurt business and I hate one nighters. Too much work, you don't ever get to know the people and I hate to say it but every time we've had mugs stolen we've had a couple one nighters in the house. Since they have the "passing through mentality" they apparently don't mind helping themselves to my mugs either. How far out do you book typically? You can try setting the 2 night minimum and then drop it down as you get closer to arrival date. I only drop my rooms to 1 night stays on the Wednesday of the arrival week.
lightbulb.gif

What a good idea. "the 2 night minimum and then drop it down as you get closer to arrival date."
More than usual have been advance planners this year, if that trend holds for next, I'll try that strategy. Thanks!
(a few mugs have walked here too, but a very few)

MtnLodge said:
Yes. Also grateful for a busy season. I will remember this as the year of one-nighters. I feel like Our Lady of the Perpetual Laundry. On the other hand, we're up by 31% over last year. Plus I've dropped pounds again!
I'm on track this year to hit a gross number that I n e v e r thought I would hit with a place this small. The goal was always to have the house pay its way. For the first few years it didn't. Last year it paid for a vacation and an unexpected end of year expense. This year 2 weeks road trip coming in the fall for us. Blocked out. Spent a couple of sweet hours yesterday evening looking at maps.
I love maps.
Anon Inn said:
I love maps.
If you're coming down our way, let me know!
Will do! On another note, did you get an email in the last few days?

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
Sounds to me like you have hit your stride! Congratulations! Now if you can just figure out how to increase the length of each stay so you can lessen your work....have you considered a 2-night minimum on weekends?
Thought about it. So many have commented though that we're an 'in between here and there' place that I'll probably just run the gamut again next summer.
I will try to be better though about tracking local events and FB and blogging them to attract longer stays. Worth a try.
BUT the new vac rental in a neighboring city (its nearly done) will likely have a 2 night min. Too much work to commute for one-nighters there. the upside is the days I do the clean, I also get the shopping done. I may also find housekeeping help there. Need to find the right person as is not enough hours for most to bother.
we went to two night minimum. NOT GOING BACK unless the bottom falls out.
i think you can do that in your destination location. the good ones around here do the same thing. we had a 2 night weekend min.

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
we went to two night minimum. NOT GOING BACK unless the bottom falls out.
i think you can do that in your destination location. the good ones around here do the same thing. we had a 2 night weekend min.

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
Anon Inn said:
I love maps.
If you're coming down our way, let me know!
Anon Inn said:
No! Try again or use my b&b e-mail.
sad_smile.gif

Back