End of Season fatigue has set in

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now.....
Plan is to fly to Delhi and than to Rishikesh at the foot of Himalayas. We are into yoga so we want to stay one week at the ashram. After that- the touristy spots like Taj Mahal, etc. anything you would suggest? We will have about 1.5-2 weeks for that.

BH- I am absolutely sympathetic to your pang. We just began a super long break after a long stretch of being very busy. I can not imagine what would happen if we didn't have that carrot out there in front of us. Now that it's here, we'll have the time we need to travel, gather new stories to share, get some projects done, give the inn a shakedown, and recharge our batteries. November will be here very soon..
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
TheBeachHouse said:
I looked at the booking calendar and noticed two Mondays in September with no bookings. Told DH to block them. He could use a day off.
That works! We have friends who were totally burnt out the first year they were open. I got emails, tearful phone calls, etc asking how did we cope with the awful guests. I looked at their calendar and ours and told them to block two days, we were going on vacation! We did and they said it was amazing to realize they could do that. It helped them a lot just knowing it was possible to take care of themselves in that way.
Now we realize it's very important to take care of ourselves.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
That works! We have friends who were totally burnt out the first year they were open. I got emails, tearful phone calls, etc asking how did we cope with the awful guests. I looked at their calendar and ours and told them to block two days, we were going on vacation! We did and they said it was amazing to realize they could do that. It helped them a lot just knowing it was possible to take care of themselves in that way.
I gotta agree. We had a family wedding the first weekend in June. We closed the inn and offered the rooms to out of town wedding guests. If you do the math, you lost thousands. But why do the math? We had parties to attend! It mattered and it was the right thing to do.
... and therein lies the three legged stool. We have used that metaphor for a long time now to help us measure our overall experience. If one of the legs get out of balance, the stool falls over. So while I am going on and on about business and metrics and whatever, it is still just one third of our bottom line. This is why I said to PS that we don't look at the lost revenue from closing in the same way as some might. The legs can also be changed out when something gains importance in the moment.
What's the other leg? Business/Personal Life/ ?? I got it! Wine, right?
This year we have tried to book off one day a week some times that has worked.
We just had a phone call from my best friend we known each other for over 40 years. She has just been told she has about 6 months to live.!!!! I am in limbo right now. I want so bad to get into the car a drive right there. NOW!
But know family needs time to adjust also. But tonight we decided to close shop up the middle of Sept and drive to Calgary.
It sure has brought us to our knees That taking time off is very very important Yes money maybe needed for mortgage payments and bills but time for mental heath is more important.
And Beachie is so right Wine is so good for the soul. ( on every level) I prefer mine slightly chilled . A nice crystal glass . A nice comphy chair a cool breeze moon light bouncing off the lake. Millions of stars to look at . Now that is life .
Yes- go love, go play.Today we are off island visiting old friends that are gathering for opening night for one of the group. He has a starring role (name on the door) and I can't tell you how great it is we could be here for it. It's something he has always wanted and being there for it matters.
I am kind of big guy and it ain't all that pretty when I get weepy.

No break since June 10th and no end in sight until about the second week in October. However, have two weeks booked in November to go back and visit my mom and my girls. By myself. And I've rented a car. And I've been saving my tip money. Soon I'll start counting down the days.
Still count myself as just starting out but planning a major trip to Ireland in two years time. That's my carrot..
Ireland is a great big green carrot!
Ireland is on our bucket list. Shelley and I have been to Scotland together twice and we LOVED it there. Both times we did road trips around. If it weren't for family, she would have moved us there.
we loved scotland- a lot
we loved the north part of Ireland- a lot
We are traveling with friends next August to revisit them. Highly recommend Edinburgh during the fringe festival in August and the Tattoo at the castle during that time. We almost never recommend festivals, but this is an incredible one. It is the mother of all fringes.
I agree I loved Scotland My mother was from Edinburgh . Been there a few times. Yes you must try and see the tattoo. There is not thing like the tattoo any where. I really loved the highlands. And the wee stone cottages. Where Highland John is it is a beautiful place to visit also. Loved all over there from England to Scotland and Whales it was truly a beautiful land to travel through.
The first time I went to Scotland, I went by myself on a business trip. I had a few extra days, so I drove around and made to a little town called Oban. Fantastic town. Mostly spent my time talking with the locals. They thought I had a strange accent (mildly Southern, but I exaggerated it a bit).
One night during my class, some of my fellow students and I walked down to a local pub. It just so happened that Scotland was playing South Africa (or somebody) in a rugby championship game. The pub quickly filled up and we watched the game. Even though none of us were from Scotland, we just cheered on with everyone else. It got really loud and crazy, but it was a blast. They figured out I wasn't a local when I used my Southern cheers and jeers (Yahoo!, come on, son!!, get that ball in the end-zone), but they got a kick out of it. What a blast.
Of all the beautiful lochs and majestic highland mountains, I enjoyed hanging out with the people the most.
Loved Oban! Used it for an overnight and it was the best distillery tour. Took the ferry from there to the Isle of Mull. Stayed at a great b&b but it was since sold as a private residence.

BH- I am absolutely sympathetic to your pang. We just began a super long break after a long stretch of being very busy. I can not imagine what would happen if we didn't have that carrot out there in front of us. Now that it's here, we'll have the time we need to travel, gather new stories to share, get some projects done, give the inn a shakedown, and recharge our batteries. November will be here very soon..
TheBeachHouse said:
And from all accounts you have done a very good job this year! I am sure you are tired, but you are not burnt toast....good for you. We have also learned how to pace our selves....and as we have slowed down (now finishing our 26th year as innkeepers) we have limited the bookings and pace of the work here.
For the first time we were not open all winter in 2015, we blocked out substantial time for ourselves in the spring to get the place in shape, and we are closing the house as of TODAY!
So...instead of busting my butt cleaning to get ready for new arrivals, I harvested the garden, made pesto and we are heading out for a nice celebration dinner. Weekly guests in the cottage are leaving Sunday with returning guests taking their place.
I think I am going to like this pace!
shades_smile.gif

TheBeachHouse said:
And from all accounts you have done a very good job this year! I am sure you are tired, but you are not burnt toast....good for you. We have also learned how to pace our selves....and as we have slowed down (now finishing our 26th year as innkeepers) we have limited the bookings and pace of the work here.
For the first time we were not open all winter in 2015, we blocked out substantial time for ourselves in the spring to get the place in shape, and we are closing the house as of TODAY!
So...instead of busting my butt cleaning to get ready for new arrivals, I harvested the garden, made pesto and we are heading out for a nice celebration dinner. Weekly guests in the cottage are leaving Sunday with returning guests taking their place.
shades_smile.gif

I love that you have been going for 26 years. It's so impressive. I am not sure we got going early enough to ever reach 26 years. Who knows. If the third option in our 5 year plan ends up being where we go, we would still have a long ways to 26.
Harvesting the garden sounds really nice, and celebrating sounds even better.

No break since June 10th and no end in sight until about the second week in October. However, have two weeks booked in November to go back and visit my mom and my girls. By myself. And I've rented a car. And I've been saving my tip money. Soon I'll start counting down the days.
Still count myself as just starting out but planning a major trip to Ireland in two years time. That's my carrot..
Ireland is on our bucket list. Shelley and I have been to Scotland together twice and we LOVED it there. Both times we did road trips around. If it weren't for family, she would have moved us there.
we loved scotland- a lot
We are traveling with friends next August to revisit them. Highly recommend Edinburgh during the fringe festival in August and the Tattoo at the castle during that time. We almost never recommend festivals, but this is an incredible one. It is the mother of all fringes.
I agree I loved Scotland My mother was from Edinburgh . Been there a few times. Yes you must try and see the tattoo. There is not thing like the tattoo any where. I really loved the highlands. And the wee stone cottages. Where Highland John is it is a beautiful place to visit also. Loved all over there from England to Scotland and Whales it was truly a beautiful land to travel through.
The first time I went to Scotland, I went by myself on a business trip. I had a few extra days, so I drove around and made to a little town called Oban. Fantastic town. Mostly spent my time talking with the locals. They thought I had a strange accent (mildly Southern, but I exaggerated it a bit).
One night during my class, some of my fellow students and I walked down to a local pub. It just so happened that Scotland was playing South Africa (or somebody) in a rugby championship game. The pub quickly filled up and we watched the game. Even though none of us were from Scotland, we just cheered on with everyone else. It got really loud and crazy, but it was a blast. They figured out I wasn't a local when I used my Southern cheers and jeers (Yahoo!, come on, son!!, get that ball in the end-zone), but they got a kick out of it. What a blast.
Of all the beautiful lochs and majestic highland mountains, I enjoyed hanging out with the people the most.
Loved Oban! Used it for an overnight and it was the best distillery tour. Took the ferry from there to the Isle of Mull. Stayed at a great b&b but it was since sold as a private residence.
The Isle of Mull was exactly where I was originally headed. Was it McEwans distillery? I started to go there, but got hung up at a chip shop there talking to a bunch of people. Then went to a local pub (might have been McEwans pub) and got hung up there talking. Before I knew it, it was late, and I didn't want to drive that little sheep trail back at night, so I had to head out.
As I was driving there, I couldn't believe that little one lane road was the right way. I stopped a guy coming the opposite way and asked him if I was going the right way to Oban. He said, "Aye, laddie, ya canna get dere nay udder way!" He was right!

TheBeachHouse said:
shades_smile.gif

I love that you have been going for 26 years. It's so impressive. I am not sure we got going early enough to ever reach 26 years. Who knows. If the third option in our 5 year plan ends up being where we go, we would still have a long ways to 26.
Thanks Happy, it sounds like you have things under control and are aware of the pitfall in trying to do it all.
it is really important to pace yourself if you plan to go the distance in this business. If you try to do it all....cook, clean, host (greet, socialize, offer concierge service etc), take reservations, blog, Facebook, network, bookkeep...and on and on...you will be wiped out in 6-7 years. It's great to make the money by working full out, but not worth it in the end if you find you have to sell the place to get a bit of your life back. Just MHO.

TheBeachHouse said:
shades_smile.gif

Thanks Happy, it sounds like you have things under control and are aware of the pitfall in trying to do it all.
it is really important to pace yourself if you plan to go the distance in this business. If you try to do it all....cook, clean, host (greet, socialize, offer concierge service etc), take reservations, blog, Facebook, network, bookkeep...and on and on...you will be wiped out in 6-7 years. It's great to make the money by working full out, but not worth it in the end if you find you have to sell the place to get a bit of your life back. Just MHO.
That's us in a nutshell. Our problem now is having to go back to full tilt in order to sell. Big discussions coming up when this season is over.

TheBeachHouse said:
shades_smile.gif

A good biz owner focuses on strategy, customer acquisition, best customers, etc
They also focus on things they like/are good at.
Everything else is targeted for outsourcing or hired help.

TheBeachHouse said:
shades_smile.gif

That's us in a nutshell. Our problem now is having to go back to full tilt in order to sell. Big discussions coming up when this season is over.
Yes, Mort....we are having our annual "Big Discussion" while we are in your state next month, taking some R+R away from it all. We have fallen back in our TA reviews as a result of taking fewer reservation and consequently getting fewer reviews. But since we are not building our business I am not too upset about it. We did more this year than I originally planned so we have a bit of a cushion for next year.

This loks like it will be the post that brings me out of lurking, lol. I am so grateful for a busy season and so counting the days until Labor Day.
April, where are you going in India? I just traveled there last April and loved it.
MtnLodge said:
Guess I better come up with an introduction post now....
please! :)
Yes. Also grateful for a busy season. I will remember this as the year of one-nighters. I feel like Our Lady of the Perpetual Laundry. On the other hand, we're up by 31% over last year. Plus I've dropped pounds again!
I'm on track this year to hit a gross number that I n e v e r thought I would hit with a place this small. The goal was always to have the house pay its way. For the first few years it didn't. Last year it paid for a vacation and an unexpected end of year expense. This year 2 weeks road trip coming in the fall for us. Blocked out. Spent a couple of sweet hours yesterday evening looking at maps.
I love maps.

MtnLodge said:
Yes. Also grateful for a busy season. I will remember this as the year of one-nighters. I feel like Our Lady of the Perpetual Laundry. On the other hand, we're up by 31% over last year. Plus I've dropped pounds again!
I'm on track this year to hit a gross number that I n e v e r thought I would hit with a place this small. The goal was always to have the house pay its way. For the first few years it didn't. Last year it paid for a vacation and an unexpected end of year expense. This year 2 weeks road trip coming in the fall for us. Blocked out. Spent a couple of sweet hours yesterday evening looking at maps.
I love maps.
Sounds to me like you have hit your stride! Congratulations! Now if you can just figure out how to increase the length of each stay so you can lessen your work....have you considered a 2-night minimum on weekends?

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
Sounds to me like you have hit your stride! Congratulations! Now if you can just figure out how to increase the length of each stay so you can lessen your work....have you considered a 2-night minimum on weekends?
Thought about it. So many have commented though that we're an 'in between here and there' place that I'll probably just run the gamut again next summer.
I will try to be better though about tracking local events and FB and blogging them to attract longer stays. Worth a try.
BUT the new vac rental in a neighboring city (its nearly done) will likely have a 2 night min. Too much work to commute for one-nighters there. the upside is the days I do the clean, I also get the shopping done. I may also find housekeeping help there. Need to find the right person as is not enough hours for most to bother.

we loved scotland- a lot
The Isle of Mull was exactly where I was originally headed. Was it McEwans distillery? I started to go there, but got hung up at a chip shop there talking to a bunch of people. Then went to a local pub (might have been McEwans pub) and got hung up there talking. Before I knew it, it was late, and I didn't want to drive that little sheep trail back at night, so I had to head out.
As I was driving there, I couldn't believe that little one lane road was the right way. I stopped a guy coming the opposite way and asked him if I was going the right way to Oban. He said, "Aye, laddie, ya canna get dere nay udder way!" He was right!
Me thinks Tobermory is on Mull. We were going to go to Islay (I-lah) but the port near Lagavulin was under repair, so it was Mull. Loved it and recommend a visit. Stayed at a b&b that we liked but that was a one man show with his hands full with family. We don't know how he did it. Probably would choose a different place if we return, but we remember it for the stark contrast between Mull and Skye. Mull- forests, green, wildlife, interior lakes, romantic. Skye- wind swept, craggy, rugged, dramatic

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
Thought about it. So many have commented though that we're an 'in between here and there' place that I'll probably just run the gamut again next summer.
I will try to be better though about tracking local events and FB and blogging them to attract longer stays. Worth a try.
BUT the new vac rental in a neighboring city (its nearly done) will likely have a 2 night min. Too much work to commute for one-nighters there. the upside is the days I do the clean, I also get the shopping done. I may also find housekeeping help there. Need to find the right person as is not enough hours for most to bother.
Many people think of us as an in between two states, a pass through if you will. We keep a 2 night minimum and I turn away one nighters unless it's just a couple days out. Hasn't hurt business and I hate one nighters. Too much work, you don't ever get to know the people and I hate to say it but every time we've had mugs stolen we've had a couple one nighters in the house. Since they have the "passing through mentality" they apparently don't mind helping themselves to my mugs either. How far out do you book typically? You can try setting the 2 night minimum and then drop it down as you get closer to arrival date. I only drop my rooms to 1 night stays on the Wednesday of the arrival week.

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
Anon Inn said:
I love maps.
If you're coming down our way, let me know!

MtnLodge said:
Welcome out of Lurkville! Tell us a little about yourself (whatever you're comfortable with).

MtnLodge said:
I love maps.
we went to two night minimum. NOT GOING BACK unless the bottom falls out.

we loved scotland- a lot
Me thinks Tobermory is on Mull. We were going to go to Islay (I-lah) but the port near Lagavulin was under repair, so it was Mull. Loved it and recommend a visit. Stayed at a b&b that we liked but that was a one man show with his hands full with family. We don't know how he did it. Probably would choose a different place if we return, but we remember it for the stark contrast between Mull and Skye. Mull- forests, green, wildlife, interior lakes, romantic. Skye- wind swept, craggy, rugged, dramatic
One year Shelley went with me, we made it over to the Isle of Arran. Awesome place with locally made cheese (I'm a cheese freak). Great drive around the island. We stopped and watched a local rugby game, visited a Viking tour center, and ate dinner at an awesome local place. HIghly recommend Isle of Arran.

we loved scotland- a lot
One year Shelley went with me, we made it over to the Isle of Arran. Awesome place with locally made cheese (I'm a cheese freak). Great drive around the island. We stopped and watched a local rugby game, visited a Viking tour center, and ate dinner at an awesome local place. HIghly recommend Isle of Arran.

Back