Here's something to think about

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
swirt, since I'm the one who originally posted, you have my permission to remove..
Breakfast Diva said:
swirt, since I'm the one who originally posted, you have my permission to remove.
Just delete the photo from your photo list. It should disappear. You can't delete the text but the photo should go away.

Sorry, Folks. It only took care of the one Diva posted. The ones that quoted are still there. Swirt saw Divas's gone and thought it was taken care of. I have given him ALL the places it appears so he can now remove ALL of them. A quote lock everything in it.

Sorry, Folks. It only took care of the one Diva posted. The ones that quoted are still there. Swirt saw Divas's gone and thought it was taken care of. I have given him ALL the places it appears so he can now remove ALL of them. A quote lock everything in it..
All the same photo, its gone in all posts, it is just that anyone that saw it already is going to be getting it from their browser's cache. I can't control that.

Sorry, Folks. It only took care of the one Diva posted. The ones that quoted are still there. Swirt saw Divas's gone and thought it was taken care of. I have given him ALL the places it appears so he can now remove ALL of them. A quote lock everything in it..
All the same photo, its gone in all posts, it is just that anyone that saw it already is going to be getting it from their browser's cache. I can't control that.
Ir is gone now in mine.

In the news there are people who do horrible things, to people they know, to strangers. Just want to mention that up front. Lock up their children in boxes for years, chop up their wives, whatever, it happens every day.
And so...
in the middle of massive work here, in tshirt and shorts and moving furniture, and huge project someone is at the door. This woman wants to see the rooms for sept. Long story short her husband cannot make it up the front steps and is outside and wants to see our rooms.
Without details, after we stop everything to show HER the rooms, he then says "Well I have to go to the restroom, and bad" so we tell him it is only upstairs. So the plot thickens, he then has to see the rooms...
he says he "doesn't dislike them" when she says if he likes them along the way. then they get to the room with the steps entering (sunken) and the outside stairway. This is the room he wants. They can use the outside entrance.
I said "you know there are stairs there..." she said "Well is there no light out there?" I am like dodging the obvious, YOUR HUSBAND CAN BARELY WALK LADY!
She talks to me some more and I ask if she would liek to reserve that room. She says "Well maybe..."
she them says "What sort of discount can you offer me on it?"
Are you friggin' kiddin' me? You interrupt everything, waste our time for one night in sept for a major concert and pull this crap? One room one night. I said, we do not offer those, sorry. She said "Well I saw something online..."
I said "Yes an online discount if you book the room online" she said "Well I will probably do that" and they amble out of here.
Now, gut instinct says...someone who knew the other guy (yes the building dept said everything was kosher) but he sent in spies?
I am way too intuitive, see red flags and clues where the avg bear doesn't. I don't believe this for a second. I had NOT put out my sign on the front door so I answered it! I put it out while they were here, To quote the Who "I won't get fooled again!"

In the news there are people who do horrible things, to people they know, to strangers. Just want to mention that up front. Lock up their children in boxes for years, chop up their wives, whatever, it happens every day.
And so...
in the middle of massive work here, in tshirt and shorts and moving furniture, and huge project someone is at the door. This woman wants to see the rooms for sept. Long story short her husband cannot make it up the front steps and is outside and wants to see our rooms.
Without details, after we stop everything to show HER the rooms, he then says "Well I have to go to the restroom, and bad" so we tell him it is only upstairs. So the plot thickens, he then has to see the rooms...
he says he "doesn't dislike them" when she says if he likes them along the way. then they get to the room with the steps entering (sunken) and the outside stairway. This is the room he wants. They can use the outside entrance.
I said "you know there are stairs there..." she said "Well is there no light out there?" I am like dodging the obvious, YOUR HUSBAND CAN BARELY WALK LADY!
She talks to me some more and I ask if she would liek to reserve that room. She says "Well maybe..."
Are you friggin' kiddin' me? You interrupt everything, waste our time for one night in sept for a major concert and pull this crap? One room one night. I said, we do not offer those, sorry. She said "Well I saw something online..."
I said "Yes an online discount if you book the room online" she said "Well I will probably do that" and they amble out of here.
Now, gut instinct says...someone who knew the other guy (yes the building dept said everything was kosher) but he sent in spies?
I am way too intuitive, see red flags and clues where the avg bear doesn't. I don't believe this for a second. I had NOT put out my sign on the front door so I answered it! I put it out while they were here, To quote the Who "I won't get fooled again!".
Good grief! Let's hope your intuition is wrong this time and these were just some flakes that happened off the street. Sorry you dealt with these idiots today!

And so...
I am way too intuitive, see red flags and clues where the avg bear doesn't. I don't believe this for a second. I had NOT put out my sign on the front door so I answered it! I put it out while they were here, To quote the Who "I won't get fooled again!".
Wow... I never let anyone even in the front door. That's why there is a website, so they can see the pictures. Too easy to steal something, or worse. I have guest belongings under my charge.
Does it mean that I lose reservations? Maybe. So what, I have my safety and sanity to keep. I may also have gotten reservation from it, seeing that I care for my guests and their possessions or pure curiosity that isn't satisfied by not being able to see. Either way, it's perfectly fine with me. Maybe you need to simply refuse outside access.

And so...
Wow... I never let anyone even in the front door. That's why there is a website, so they can see the pictures. Too easy to steal something, or worse. I have guest belongings under my charge.
Does it mean that I lose reservations? Maybe. So what, I have my safety and sanity to keep. I may also have gotten reservation from it, seeing that I care for my guests and their possessions or pure curiosity that isn't satisfied by not being able to see. Either way, it's perfectly fine with me. Maybe you need to simply refuse outside access.
see this is something I am on the fence with - I am happy to do show rounds if I have rooms vacant but not ones with stuff in. However every time ive had people at the door to look round its been when things are a zoo - ie we shut for a week in august 2 years ago - nice couple came to scout out for a group later in the year, everything was a disaster as we were bringing in new beds, mum was counting laundry in the lounge - funnily enough they never booked!
However - after pushing from My bb coach did a guests survey - various questions but one was what is your greatest fear when you have booked
number 1 was - that is isn't like the web site - ie pictures pictures pictures!
2 - not clean
3 - booked out

And so...
see this is something I am on the fence with - I am happy to do show rounds if I have rooms vacant but not ones with stuff in. However every time ive had people at the door to look round its been when things are a zoo - ie we shut for a week in august 2 years ago - nice couple came to scout out for a group later in the year, everything was a disaster as we were bringing in new beds, mum was counting laundry in the lounge - funnily enough they never booked!
However - after pushing from My bb coach did a guests survey - various questions but one was what is your greatest fear when you have booked
number 1 was - that is isn't like the web site - ie pictures pictures pictures!
2 - not clean
3 - booked out
There is also one other thing... the house is one one of the most beautiful streets in the city and I have a Victorian aged home. So sometimes people think that since I'm a B&B that this is their chance to see the inside of one of these beautiful homes. It is... if they pay the entry fee... staying here. (Maybe I should offer tours for a price as a way of supplementing my income.)
I get phone calls from time-to-time asking if people can book just for breakfast. Nope, it's only available for those that stay here. (You should see how surprised they are when I say that the only way to get in for breakfast is to have slept here. I sometimes say that we are one of the most exclusive breakfast places in the city, you can't buy breakfast!)
If they want to satisfy their curiosity, they need to pay the price.
And then there is the safety issue....

And so...
I have a sign on the front door that says "Tours By Appointment Only". In ten years, I've had maybe 5 people still ring the bell wanting to see the rooms. The answer is almost always no. I've got no problem saying "No" to that. What does your sign say that you referred to?

And so...
I have a sign on the front door that says "Tours By Appointment Only". In ten years, I've had maybe 5 people still ring the bell wanting to see the rooms. The answer is almost always no. I've got no problem saying "No" to that. What does your sign say that you referred to?
BananaE29 said:
It says similar, by appt only, blah blah blah...but it was NOT out yet. I got stuck into a project and neglected to put it out. Mother Murphy's law of innkeeping.

Back