How do you reply to people always looking for a discount?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I may use a few of these suggestions for the next time. Guest left this morning. I did my best to be cordial, but wanted to let him know how insulting it was that he thought he could get a reduced rate, instead I bit my tongue! I've shaken it off and on to a new day.
Happy Wednesday all.....
I cannot agree to this attitude. I see a bit too much labeling people as PITAs on this forum, for actions that sometimes seem like basic human nature.
Yes - people smoke in the room, are disrespectful, steal, try to get out of their booking with fake excuses, etc. This should not be tolerated.
But other times I see people here feeling insulted or getting bent out of shape because someone did not like their meal, or took the cheapest room for only one day and asked a lot, and other things that. In a democracy, people are allowed to have a different opinion and their own taste and beliefs and agenda. That does not justify calling them a "pain in the ass."
I know, people come here to vent. We seek respect from guests, but I think we should respect them as much as possible. Each is a precious and fragile soul, with worries and stresses and joys and problems and friends and enemies. Made in the image of their Creator's eyes. Money is tight, jobs are stressful and less than fulfilling, there are many tasks to be done, there is unexpected shocks like the loss of a loved one or a cancer diagnosis... They come to the people here for an escape. They ar
For heavens sake, they asked for a discount and you "bit your tongue" and "did your best to be cordial" and considered it "insulting". Why? This is a business. It is about serving the guests. Many service providers and retailers deal with this every day. People use groupons, shopping comparison sites, coupons, discounted gift cards, look for cash back on their credit cards, incentives, etc. There are few people left who do not seek to bargain a little. All we have to do is accept or deny the request.

I think I may use a few of these suggestions for the next time. Guest left this morning. I did my best to be cordial, but wanted to let him know how insulting it was that he thought he could get a reduced rate, instead I bit my tongue! I've shaken it off and on to a new day.
Happy Wednesday all.....
Baygirl said:
Happy Wednesday all....
It is what we all do. Try to get the best price, don't take it to heart, it is not an insult. I have raised my family to get the best value and price they can, at all times. We are not cheapskates, but we are thrifty and try to stretch what we have.

Happy Wednesday all.....
I cannot agree to this attitude. I see a bit too much labeling people as PITAs on this forum, for actions that sometimes seem like basic human nature.
Yes - people smoke in the room, are disrespectful, steal, try to get out of their booking with fake excuses, etc. This should not be tolerated.
But other times I see people here feeling insulted or getting bent out of shape because someone did not like their meal, or took the cheapest room for only one day and asked a lot, and other things that. In a democracy, people are allowed to have a different opinion and their own taste and beliefs and agenda. That does not justify calling them a "pain in the ass."
I know, people come here to vent. We seek respect from guests, but I think we should respect them as much as possible. Each is a precious and fragile soul, with worries and stresses and joys and problems and friends and enemies. Made in the image of their Creator's eyes. Money is tight, jobs are stressful and less than fulfilling, there are many tasks to be done, there is unexpected shocks like the loss of a loved one or a cancer diagnosis... They come to the people here for an escape. They ar
For heavens sake, they asked for a discount and you "bit your tongue" and "did your best to be cordial" and considered it "insulting". Why? This is a business. It is about serving the guests. Many service providers and retailers deal with this every day. People use groupons, shopping comparison sites, coupons, discounted gift cards, look for cash back on their credit cards, incentives, etc. There are few people left who do not seek to bargain a little. All we have to do is accept or deny the request.
The only people I have every been insulted by asking for a discount was people who were trouble from the get go
3 couples (parents , 2 siblings and their partners)
first breath out of their mouth as they came through the door was "can we have a discount?" they had booked online through an agent so I pointed out that as I was paying 15% commission plus 20% VAT tax on that commission there would be no discount - if they had booked directly and asked then they would have had one as we state on the web site as well as we are a very good price which was why they had booked us in the first place.
They were here for a christening - told them had a group of 8 ladies who were coming for their breakfast at 9am and I would recommend coming before then or they would be delayed - next morning came brother, girlfriend and parents came 8.30 and ate their breakfast - told them to nip upstairs and get the other 2 or their would be late - they did,
other couple did not come down till 9.30 and were right in the middle of everyone eating as we had warned them they would be - wouldn't eat any cereal, toast, yogurt, juice, tea, coffee etc which they could have had straight away - waited till 9.45 then said they couldn't wait any longer for their food
had a right go at me on departure as I should have managed it better - they went against everything we recommended they do - then did a bad book in g .com review about how they had to go away hungry etc

Happy Wednesday all.....
Baygirl said:
Happy Wednesday all....
It is what we all do. Try to get the best price, don't take it to heart, it is not an insult. I have raised my family to get the best value and price they can, at all times. We are not cheapskates, but we are thrifty and try to stretch what we have.
I understand someone trying to get the best price, but in this case I was feeling insulted by this particular guest. Not that everyone who asks us for a discount insults me, its that this particular guest asked for a discount and after I said no, he continued to keep asking with different scenario's for him to get one. It was a rant on here on how I was feeling yesterday towards my situation. Not meant to cause any hard feelings on here.

Happy Wednesday all.....
Baygirl said:
Happy Wednesday all....
Yes, we also look for the best price. I think the reason Baygirl was miffed (and rightly so) was this was NOT a first time guest and he had been told already, there are no discounts.
Proof I raised mine right - he was replacing the battery in my motorcycle and called around for prices. Found one that matched the low price when asked why is yours xx x when the same battery there is xx? My son responded with, I am not asking meet it, I am asking beat it.

Happy Wednesday all.....
Baygirl said:
Happy Wednesday all....
Yes, we also look for the best price. I think the reason Baygirl was miffed (and rightly so) was this was NOT a first time guest and he had been told already, there are no discounts.
Proof I raised mine right - he was replacing the battery in my motorcycle and called around for prices. Found one that matched the low price when asked why is yours xx x when the same battery there is xx? My son responded with, I am not asking meet it, I am asking beat it.
Thank you Gillumhouse, that's exactly why and I also failed to mention he had emailed a few weeks ago asking if I was offering any specials and again he was told no.

It is never easy to type out the whole scenario here. Please always be aware that we may or may not share much of what goes on, we can't. I understand what you are saying Baygirl, it is rude to be so pushy like that. It is not the discount, it is the pushy business that wears you down. I have had a few like that, I understand.
Like the fella who demanded his AAA discount a few years ago and it was less than what i offered him on the room, but it made him happy. DOH!

When people who have never stayed here call looking for a discount I always mention that they can stay in one of our less expensive suites if price is an issue. That usually shuts them up. No discounts for new people.
We do give modest discounts to our regular guests who stay 5 or more nights. It does add up $ but we think it is worth it to have great guests who already know what to expect, and who choose to return year after year. That is, we offer discounts if they have been considerate guests in the past...if they have been inconsiderate, resulting in our having to do a lot of extra cleaning or hand holding, they must pay the going rate.

Happy Wednesday all.....
Baygirl said:
Happy Wednesday all....
We have a guest who has been here many times. Has never said more than a few words to me that amount mostly to 'no, I don't want that for breakfast' and 'I figured you wouldn't have hot sauce'. (We do have hot sauce, we didn't have the right brand name.)
The most this guest has ever said in one sentence had to do with us having to give him a discount. Having to.
For anyone who thinks this stuff didn't happen in person, to your face, it does. Not often, but it's part of the job.

When people who have never stayed here call looking for a discount I always mention that they can stay in one of our less expensive suites if price is an issue. That usually shuts them up. No discounts for new people.
We do give modest discounts to our regular guests who stay 5 or more nights. It does add up $ but we think it is worth it to have great guests who already know what to expect, and who choose to return year after year. That is, we offer discounts if they have been considerate guests in the past...if they have been inconsiderate, resulting in our having to do a lot of extra cleaning or hand holding, they must pay the going rate..
Silverspoon said:
Who was it here who had someone demand a discount and then added on everything from the add on package? I can't remember, but it was this year.
So what you are saying is yes, we do offer a discount, it is our econo-line room for $20 less than the others. Oh and you get a brown banana and a toaster waffle...wait that's the uncomfort inn.

We do give modest discounts to our regular guests who stay 5 or more nights. It does add up $ but we think it is worth it to have great guests who already know what to expect, and who choose to return year after year. That is, we offer discounts if they have been considerate guests in the past...if they have been inconsiderate, resulting in our having to do a lot of extra cleaning or hand holding, they must pay the going rate..
Silverspoon said:
Who was it here who had someone demand a discount and then added on everything from the add on package? I can't remember, but it was this year.
So what you are saying is yes, we do offer a discount, it is our econo-line room for $20 less than the others. Oh and you get a brown banana and a toaster waffle...wait that's the uncomfort inn.
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
That was me JB. I was a softie because the return guests now had a very young child and pleaded poor (baby budget they called it). I gave them a discount then they added on a bunch of romantic add-ons.

Silverspoon said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
That was me JB. I was a softie because the return guests now had a very young child and pleaded poor (baby budget they called it). I gave them a discount then they added on a bunch of romantic add-ons.
Had a returning guest who was used to getting a discount under previous management play the "poor single mom" card, to which we played the "small business working hard to stay above water, so can't afford to give discounts during peak season" card.
Edited to insert: She also said "can find other accommodations in the area for less, but we really like it at your place."
She hasn't been back and we are fully booked with guests paying full fare....

It's one thing for a guest to just ask for a discount. It's a whole other thing when they're like a pit bull and won't give up. I have been dealing with a couple who I bent my rules for (stupid me, stupid me, stupid meeee). A credit card issue happened for them which I had nothing to do with although it was a payment for our biz. They felt wronged by the 'system'. They wanted to add a 2nd night and feel I should give it to them at a steep discount. On a holiday weekend. They asked, I answered no. They wouldn't stop there.
I have spent so much time, energy & angst on this couple because I wanted to be nice and help them out. Finally, after another e-mail where they were demanding a discount to book a 2nd night I responded back saying that I would once again go against my rules and now my non-refundable (wedding package) is now refundable and I would refund their entire amount to just go away. Fortunately, they took me up on my offer and they are GONE!
It's people like these that ruin it for others. I'll now be more jaded and less likely to help a deserving couple that really would have appreciated it. They can just go get married at the courthouse.
There are people out there that just don't take no for an answer. And then to have to cook, clean, make nice and marry them is just too much to ask of this innkeeper.

It's one thing for a guest to just ask for a discount. It's a whole other thing when they're like a pit bull and won't give up. I have been dealing with a couple who I bent my rules for (stupid me, stupid me, stupid meeee). A credit card issue happened for them which I had nothing to do with although it was a payment for our biz. They felt wronged by the 'system'. They wanted to add a 2nd night and feel I should give it to them at a steep discount. On a holiday weekend. They asked, I answered no. They wouldn't stop there.
I have spent so much time, energy & angst on this couple because I wanted to be nice and help them out. Finally, after another e-mail where they were demanding a discount to book a 2nd night I responded back saying that I would once again go against my rules and now my non-refundable (wedding package) is now refundable and I would refund their entire amount to just go away. Fortunately, they took me up on my offer and they are GONE!
It's people like these that ruin it for others. I'll now be more jaded and less likely to help a deserving couple that really would have appreciated it. They can just go get married at the courthouse.
There are people out there that just don't take no for an answer. And then to have to cook, clean, make nice and marry them is just too much to ask of this innkeeper..
I heartily agree. That is what I mean (another thread) by the small number of people who take advantage of your trying to be generous or having an "Abundance" mentality. I usually regret it when I bend apartment rental rules - always seems to bite me in some way - they only have half the security deposit, they want to "work with me" on the upfront money, etc.
Requesting a discount is one thing. If they go over the line, they should run headfirst into your well-enumerated policies and onto the DNB list. Of course sometimes, bribing them is the lesser of two evils.
Our time has value. Mort earlier saying she had something like 30 calls on a wedding party with issues, or things like you describe here. This type guest/customer is unprofitable. Some hotels have a form that someone has to fill out for an event such as booking a wedding party, that must be properly filled out. They have changes, they can update the form instead of harassing the owner and getting into arguments with each other.
Some Business Gurus talk about firing the worst 10% of customers, who are time/energy vampires, asking a lot of add-ons without paying for them, constantly calling your tech support, etc. DNB list; they try to book again, you respond with a brief summary listing the difficulties of the prior booking, you must respectfully decline their booking. THIS is the kind of person I would send to my coopetitors who have a bad reputation!
Personally, I would stop answering their calls/emails. I have an annoying person who calls every couple months about an apartment and is really an oddball about it. I put him into my contacts list as "IGNORE". When that number rings, I never have to answer. WHen they email (Yahoo), I flag their email as SPAM.

There are people out there that just don't take no for an answer. And then to have to cook, clean, make nice and marry them is just too much to ask of this innkeeper..
If you ask me, you waited too long. I would have given them the refund and then stepped back on the rules.

We once had a lady tell us what she wanted for breakfast everyday. We immediately replied that we think she would be better suited to a self-catered apartment, that we have no way to do what she asked and that we would gladly refund her entire amount. She took us up on it and we were never sorry. The people who reserve instead of her, were delightful.

If you ask me, you waited too long. I would have given them the refund and then stepped back on the rules.

We once had a lady tell us what she wanted for breakfast everyday. We immediately replied that we think she would be better suited to a self-catered apartment, that we have no way to do what she asked and that we would gladly refund her entire amount. She took us up on it and we were never sorry. The people who reserve instead of her, were delightful.
How did I wait too long? Payment issues aside, the request/demand of discount issue was just 2 days ago. Releasing them was last night.
My lesson learned once again is to stick with my own rules.
The nail in their coffin was I took a phone call yesterday from a couple who wanted to book the same package as the PITA. 5 minutes on the phone. Done, over with, no hassles. That's the way it should be. Got rid of the PITA.
You also have to consider that this is not just a room rental, but someone's wedding. More issues occur with these and sometimes we can deal with the little special requests so it's not as cut and dry as a room reservation.

How did I wait too long? Payment issues aside, the request/demand of discount issue was just 2 days ago. Releasing them was last night.
The nail in their coffin was I took a phone call yesterday from a couple who wanted to book the same package as the PITA. 5 minutes on the phone. Done, over with, no hassles. That's the way it should be. Got rid of the PITA.
You also have to consider that this is not just a room rental, but someone's wedding. More issues occur with these and sometimes we can deal with the little special requests so it's not as cut and dry as a room reservation.
Breakfast Diva said:
True, but it still needs to make financial sense. The owner's time has value, and there still needs to be an effective way to make it worthwhile. Such as "I think this is not going to work out" once they start making things complicated or making you mediate among group members to see who is paying or staying. Or a method where it is up to those booking such a package to have to go to the website and bang out their requirements, who is coming, making payments and elements of the package into some kind of form, rather than playing phone tag.

Silverspoon said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
Had a returning guest who was used to getting a discount under previous management play the "poor single mom" card, to which we played the "small business working hard to stay above water, so can't afford to give discounts during peak season" card.
Edited to insert: She also said "can find other accommodations in the area for less, but we really like it at your place."
I hate when guests play the poverty card. I'm not rolling in money either. When I go away I look for what I can afford.
There's a place in town that charges less than half what I do, that's where I send them. Just sent a family there that needed accommodations for 3 weeks. No way can I put up a family for 3 weeks! Especially as they were local and the kids were still in school.

Silverspoon said:
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
I hate when guests play the poverty card. I'm not rolling in money either. When I go away I look for what I can afford.
There's a place in town that charges less than half what I do, that's where I send them. Just sent a family there that needed accommodations for 3 weeks. No way can I put up a family for 3 weeks! Especially as they were local and the kids were still in school.
Morticia said:
I learned that lesson the hard way a few years ago. Took pity on burned out & gave 2 rooms for the price of 1 while the house was repaired. NEVER AGAIN.

Ah, didn't realize it was two days, from the description it sounds long and drawn out.
Sometime cutting the cord is the fastest solution to the problem. I remember a reservation from a lady who wanted me to cook her other meals because she was on a special diet. UGH!
It's almost impossible to be in the wedding business around here. We still have the damn banns.... takes 3 weeks to get married.

Back