How do you reply to people always looking for a discount?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Q: How do you reply to people always looking for a discount?
A. I give them one.
$10 to book online, thar she blows...the discount. They can ask for more, but this is what we offer, and it seems to work..
This. I say we cannot offer individual discounts but we do offer everyone our $10/night discount for online booking. Everyone who stays here is a veteran, senior, anniversary or birthday celebrator, etc. Cannot afford to stay in business by discounting to everyone. Our longtime guests who stay 5-7 days would never ask for a discount, and for that reason we always give them one
teeth_smile.gif

It's one thing for a guest to just ask for a discount. It's a whole other thing when they're like a pit bull and won't give up. I have been dealing with a couple who I bent my rules for (stupid me, stupid me, stupid meeee). A credit card issue happened for them which I had nothing to do with although it was a payment for our biz. They felt wronged by the 'system'. They wanted to add a 2nd night and feel I should give it to them at a steep discount. On a holiday weekend. They asked, I answered no. They wouldn't stop there.
I have spent so much time, energy & angst on this couple because I wanted to be nice and help them out. Finally, after another e-mail where they were demanding a discount to book a 2nd night I responded back saying that I would once again go against my rules and now my non-refundable (wedding package) is now refundable and I would refund their entire amount to just go away. Fortunately, they took me up on my offer and they are GONE!
It's people like these that ruin it for others. I'll now be more jaded and less likely to help a deserving couple that really would have appreciated it. They can just go get married at the courthouse.
There are people out there that just don't take no for an answer. And then to have to cook, clean, make nice and marry them is just too much to ask of this innkeeper..
If you ask me, you waited too long. I would have given them the refund and then stepped back on the rules.

We once had a lady tell us what she wanted for breakfast everyday. We immediately replied that we think she would be better suited to a self-catered apartment, that we have no way to do what she asked and that we would gladly refund her entire amount. She took us up on it and we were never sorry. The people who reserve instead of her, were delightful.
How did I wait too long? Payment issues aside, the request/demand of discount issue was just 2 days ago. Releasing them was last night.
My lesson learned once again is to stick with my own rules.
The nail in their coffin was I took a phone call yesterday from a couple who wanted to book the same package as the PITA. 5 minutes on the phone. Done, over with, no hassles. That's the way it should be. Got rid of the PITA.
You also have to consider that this is not just a room rental, but someone's wedding. More issues occur with these and sometimes we can deal with the little special requests so it's not as cut and dry as a room reservation.
Breakfast Diva said:
You also have to consider that this is not just a room rental, but someone's wedding. More issues occur with these and sometimes we can deal with the little special requests so it's not as cut and dry as a room reservation.
True, but it still needs to make financial sense. The owner's time has value, and there still needs to be an effective way to make it worthwhile. Such as "I think this is not going to work out" once they start making things complicated or making you mediate among group members to see who is paying or staying. Or a method where it is up to those booking such a package to have to go to the website and bang out their requirements, who is coming, making payments and elements of the package into some kind of form, rather than playing phone tag.
undersea said:
Breakfast Diva said:
True, but it still needs to make financial sense. The owner's time has value, and there still needs to be an effective way to make it worthwhile. Such as "I think this is not going to work out" once they start making things complicated or making you mediate among group members to see who is paying or staying. Or a method where it is up to those booking such a package to have to go to the website and bang out their requirements, who is coming, making payments and elements of the package into some kind of form, rather than playing phone tag.
We inherited a wedding already on the books when we bought our B&B. It required calls every other day from every family member, aunts, this that and the other and then grew and they eventually needed a caterer and licensing and it got out of control completely, and in the end was one wedding night for $120.00 and consumed ALL of my time, continually.
This was year one, month one. So i was eager to please and make sure this dream wedding went off without a hitch. They didn't really care about us, they only needed to use us for their means.
I know venues who ONLY deal with the wedding planner. If they don't have one they need to allocated one in the family, period, full stop. We inherited so many bad things year one I cannot even tell you, we went into hock over it. Literally.

It's one thing for a guest to just ask for a discount. It's a whole other thing when they're like a pit bull and won't give up. I have been dealing with a couple who I bent my rules for (stupid me, stupid me, stupid meeee). A credit card issue happened for them which I had nothing to do with although it was a payment for our biz. They felt wronged by the 'system'. They wanted to add a 2nd night and feel I should give it to them at a steep discount. On a holiday weekend. They asked, I answered no. They wouldn't stop there.
I have spent so much time, energy & angst on this couple because I wanted to be nice and help them out. Finally, after another e-mail where they were demanding a discount to book a 2nd night I responded back saying that I would once again go against my rules and now my non-refundable (wedding package) is now refundable and I would refund their entire amount to just go away. Fortunately, they took me up on my offer and they are GONE!
It's people like these that ruin it for others. I'll now be more jaded and less likely to help a deserving couple that really would have appreciated it. They can just go get married at the courthouse.
There are people out there that just don't take no for an answer. And then to have to cook, clean, make nice and marry them is just too much to ask of this innkeeper..
If you ask me, you waited too long. I would have given them the refund and then stepped back on the rules.

We once had a lady tell us what she wanted for breakfast everyday. We immediately replied that we think she would be better suited to a self-catered apartment, that we have no way to do what she asked and that we would gladly refund her entire amount. She took us up on it and we were never sorry. The people who reserve instead of her, were delightful.
How did I wait too long? Payment issues aside, the request/demand of discount issue was just 2 days ago. Releasing them was last night.
The nail in their coffin was I took a phone call yesterday from a couple who wanted to book the same package as the PITA. 5 minutes on the phone. Done, over with, no hassles. That's the way it should be. Got rid of the PITA.
Breakfast Diva said:
undersea said:
I like the idea of an online form to fill in FIRST to REQUEST a whole house booking. Name of person responsible for entire party (phone, email, address), names of every person coming (and their email), number of guests coming and a breakfast menu that we will serve. Period. Because groups tend to all come at once for breakfast or they wander in and out for hours. "Oh, Uncle Henry isn't here yet, I'll come back later." And they swan off.
But having one person be the contact is a good idea. Even tho I try very hard NOT to have groups. Thus far no one has been willing to give a 50% deposit the day the rez is made. Problem solved.
But, if I wanted to do groups, having the form online is a good idea. Or even call me and I'll email it to you. But no rooms on hold until I have the cc# charged and all the info. And only full house.
Although, I have 4 rooms coming for a wedding, they all booked separately not all at once. One of them called for some info and I asked if there was a wedding. "Oh yes, we've booked 4 rooms!" (And got around my 30 day cancellation by booking individually.)

Breakfast Diva said:
undersea said:
I like the idea of an online form to fill in FIRST to REQUEST a whole house booking. Name of person responsible for entire party (phone, email, address), names of every person coming (and their email), number of guests coming and a breakfast menu that we will serve. Period. Because groups tend to all come at once for breakfast or they wander in and out for hours. "Oh, Uncle Henry isn't here yet, I'll come back later." And they swan off.
But having one person be the contact is a good idea. Even tho I try very hard NOT to have groups. Thus far no one has been willing to give a 50% deposit the day the rez is made. Problem solved.
But, if I wanted to do groups, having the form online is a good idea. Or even call me and I'll email it to you. But no rooms on hold until I have the cc# charged and all the info. And only full house.
Although, I have 4 rooms coming for a wedding, they all booked separately not all at once. One of them called for some info and I asked if there was a wedding. "Oh yes, we've booked 4 rooms!" (And got around my 30 day cancellation by booking individually.)
I saw the event form on a hotel site. Wedding, retirement, business, etc.

Breakfast Diva said:
undersea said:
Breakfast Diva said:
We inherited a wedding already on the books when we bought our B&B. It required calls every other day from every family member, aunts, this that and the other and then grew and they eventually needed a caterer and licensing and it got out of control completely, and in the end was one wedding night for $120.00 and consumed ALL of my time, continually.
This was year one, month one. So i was eager to please and make sure this dream wedding went off without a hitch. They didn't really care about us, they only needed to use us for their means.
I know venues who ONLY deal with the wedding planner. If they don't have one they need to allocated one in the family, period, full stop. We inherited so many bad things year one I cannot even tell you, we went into hock over it. Literally.

Breakfast Diva said:
undersea said:
Breakfast Diva said:
Your services deserve payment always. Years ago, a woman called about a rental room i had in a 3 br apartment for her elderly father. He needed to spend 2 plus hours daily in bathroom and needed someone to help him each way! Another man asked about putting his family of five into that room!
They want you as a planner, it is $35/hour, whatever, prepaid

When people who have never stayed here call looking for a discount I always mention that they can stay in one of our less expensive suites if price is an issue. That usually shuts them up. No discounts for new people.
We do give modest discounts to our regular guests who stay 5 or more nights. It does add up $ but we think it is worth it to have great guests who already know what to expect, and who choose to return year after year. That is, we offer discounts if they have been considerate guests in the past...if they have been inconsiderate, resulting in our having to do a lot of extra cleaning or hand holding, they must pay the going rate..
Silverspoon said:
When people who have never stayed here call looking for a discount I always mention that they can stay in one of our less expensive suites if price is an issue. That usually shuts them up. No discounts for new people.
Who was it here who had someone demand a discount and then added on everything from the add on package? I can't remember, but it was this year.
So what you are saying is yes, we do offer a discount, it is our econo-line room for $20 less than the others. Oh and you get a brown banana and a toaster waffle...wait that's the uncomfort inn.
Joey Bloggs said:
Silverspoon said:
Who was it here who had someone demand a discount and then added on everything from the add on package? I can't remember, but it was this year.
So what you are saying is yes, we do offer a discount, it is our econo-line room for $20 less than the others. Oh and you get a brown banana and a toaster waffle...wait that's the uncomfort inn.
That was me JB. I was a softie because the return guests now had a very young child and pleaded poor (baby budget they called it). I gave them a discount then they added on a bunch of romantic add-ons.
Had a returning guest who was used to getting a discount under previous management play the "poor single mom" card, to which we played the "small business working hard to stay above water, so can't afford to give discounts during peak season" card.
Edited to insert: She also said "can find other accommodations in the area for less, but we really like it at your place."
She hasn't been back and we are fully booked with guests paying full fare....
I hate when guests play the poverty card. I'm not rolling in money either. When I go away I look for what I can afford.
There's a place in town that charges less than half what I do, that's where I send them. Just sent a family there that needed accommodations for 3 weeks. No way can I put up a family for 3 weeks! Especially as they were local and the kids were still in school.
Morticia said:
I hate when guests play the poverty card. I'm not rolling in money either. When I go away I look for what I can afford.
Amen! If you can't afford the trip, stay home!
Had one recently state that I should be more willing to discount because I had the same expenses whether I rented my rooms or not. Sometimes it takes everything I have not to educate them. Usually I don't come up with a snappy comeback until hours after I have hung up.

My standard reply is "I'm sorry, we're just too small to be able to do discounts". Most of the time they say they understand and it didn't hurt to ask.
Just continue to stand your ground. They obviously they enjoy what you provide and keep coming back. I'm like you, I'd rather have an empty room than to give the pushy ones a discount. It's not as if we don't have to look them in the eye every day they're here!.
We're too small is the answer I give.
It only took me about a year to figure out that the folks who asked for a discount were also the ones who asked for extra coffee and towels and soap and bottled water, wanted Kcups of tea or hot chocolate instead of coffee in the room, decided to eat dinner before checking in and kept us waiting two extra hours without calling, wanted late checkout, etc.
Not so much that they were cheapskates as just DIVAS! I finally told hubby that if discounted rates meant discounted quality of guests, it wasn't worth it!

I have a nothing throwaway line when people ask if there are any discounts, or if we have a AAA or AARP discount:
"Our discounts are already built into our rates."
Amazingly, after 2 years of using this, no a single person has thought twice to question it. Amazing..
PhineasSwann said:
I have a nothing throwaway line when people ask if there are any discounts, or if we have a AAA or AARP discount:
Amazingly, after 2 years of using this, no a single person has thought twice to question it. Amazing.
This has worked very well for me, too. Earlier last month, I met with a SCORE adviser because my business was down 10% from last year. There were several factors leading to this, not many of which were under my control. Anyway, he helped me look at the entire business thru his eyes and he's not a B&B guru, but a very savvy businessman. I got rid of all of my discounts and re-adjusted the rates. Since doing this, the reservations have increased and I figured that with the new adjusted rates, my ADR is not going to be any less than I was getting with all the discounts. The rate is what it is and it's SO much easier not having to calculate everything!
So, when guests call and ask about discounts, that's exactly what I tell them - we've re-adjusted the rates to include all the previous discounts and specials. NO ONE has questioned it!

Amazingly, after 2 years of using this, no a single person has thought twice to question it. Amazing..
PhineasSwann said:
Amazingly, after 2 years of using this, no a single person has thought twice to question it. Amazing.
This has worked very well for me, too. Earlier last month, I met with a SCORE adviser because my business was down 10% from last year. There were several factors leading to this, not many of which were under my control. Anyway, he helped me look at the entire business thru his eyes and he's not a B&B guru, but a very savvy businessman. I got rid of all of my discounts and re-adjusted the rates. Since doing this, the reservations have increased and I figured that with the new adjusted rates, my ADR is not going to be any less than I was getting with all the discounts. The rate is what it is and it's SO much easier not having to calculate everything!
So, when guests call and ask about discounts, that's exactly what I tell them - we've re-adjusted the rates to include all the previous discounts and specials. NO ONE has questioned it!
To me, discounts are never for peak seasons. But for midweek or offseason, I think can discount rather than have an empty bed, on a case by case basis. But it doesn't have to be publicized.
If for a Tuesday, someone is waving a $100 bill for a $125 room, and prospects are not good, I would grab it.

PhineasSwann said:
To me, discounts are never for peak seasons. But for midweek or offseason, I think can discount rather than have an empty bed, on a case by case basis. But it doesn't have to be publicized.
If for a Tuesday, someone is waving a $100 bill for a $125 room, and prospects are not good, I would grab it.
undersea said:
And here is why I will not take it.
That person has just said my B & B and my room is not worth my rate. I am not good enough to pay the rate I am asking. I will not be belittled or devalued.
That $25 that person is not willing to pay is part of what I need to pay for what he has used being here. In the winter it costs to heat the room(s - if in private bath), in summer to run A/C. If the rooms are empty those are not on. It costs me in water/sewer/garbage/laundry costs/time to iron. It costs for the breakfast foods I do not buy if I do not have guests. My guests get the premium grade ingredients - we live from the lets get rid of shelf.
So no, I am not going to take the $100 that person has offered as if we were "drag a $100 bill through the trailer court". MY bed & breakfast is and I am CLASS.

PhineasSwann said:
undersea said:
That person has just said my B & B and my room is not worth my rate. I am not good enough to pay the rate I am asking. I will not be belittled or devalued.
That $25 that person is not willing to pay is part of what I need to pay for what he has used being here. In the winter it costs to heat the room(s - if in private bath), in summer to run A/C. If the rooms are empty those are not on. It costs me in water/sewer/garbage/laundry costs/time to iron. It costs for the breakfast foods I do not buy if I do not have guests. My guests get the premium grade ingredients - we live from the lets get rid of shelf.
So no, I am not going to take the $100 that person has offered as if we were "drag a $100 bill through the trailer court". MY bed & breakfast is and I am CLASS.
Each person must make their own policies. But I cannot agree to rejecting the offer.
"Your rate" has no meaning in a supply and demand world. If someone decides to sell gas for a quarter more than everyone else with no value add, they will go out of business.
Standard yield management can increase revenue and profitability. A room during a major event can bring more, and some places raise their rates. Down times, perhaps only crickets. Supply and demand works everywhere.
.... "Yield management is a variable pricing strategy, based on understanding, anticipating and influencing consumer behavior in order to maximize revenue or profits from a fixed, perishable resource."
Guests could care less about the innkeepers costs and other things. Some costs are fixed - insurance, mortgage, cable. Other costs are variable - cleaning, prepping a meal, etc. An empty room during off-peak times costs money. Especially when it gets close to that day.
Not taking the $100, I am losing money. It is not a discount to me when the room is not so likely to be booked. To me it is a discount when it takes away from a likely full rate booking.

PhineasSwann said:
Then add yourself to the thousands of burned out innkeepers who, despite the great advice you'll find over and over on this forum and others, figured it out too late.
sad_smile.gif

PhineasSwann said:
undersea said:
Each person must make their own policies. But I cannot agree to rejecting the offer.
"Your rate" has no meaning in a supply and demand world. If someone decides to sell gas for a quarter more than everyone else with no value add, they will go out of business.
Standard yield management can increase revenue and profitability. A room during a major event can bring more, and some places raise their rates. Down times, perhaps only crickets. Supply and demand works everywhere.
.... "Yield management is a variable pricing strategy, based on understanding, anticipating and influencing consumer behavior in order to maximize revenue or profits from a fixed, perishable resource."
Guests could care less about the innkeepers costs and other things. Some costs are fixed - insurance, mortgage, cable. Other costs are variable - cleaning, prepping a meal, etc. An empty room during off-peak times costs money. Especially when it gets close to that day.
Not taking the $100, I am losing money. It is not a discount to me when the room is not so likely to be booked. To me it is a discount when it takes away from a likely full rate booking.
You are focusing on one corner of the picture. The part that has a $100 bill in it. I am looking at the big picture - how much is that $100 going to cost me. I am able to heat/cool by the room which many cannot - whole house has to be heated/cooled if guests are in.
I do not expect a guest to give a rip about my costs - that is my problem and why my rates are what they are. These comments are familiar to me. A VERY successful package was killed when the other inn looked at the rate increase I wanted to pay me for the dinners I served as it only gave THEM a 5% raise - I looked at $$ and he looked at %. The package was my idea and more than doubled his total revenue in one year. He felt it was just fine for me to be paid only $6 more for 2 dinners than he was getting paid for 2 packed lunches. Some dollars are not worth taking.
I neglected to add, often they decide to pay that extra because I stood my ground and they want the room.

PhineasSwann said:
undersea said:
thumbs_up.gif
I agree!!!

PhineasSwann said:
undersea said:
You are focusing on one corner of the picture. The part that has a $100 bill in it. I am looking at the big picture - how much is that $100 going to cost me. I am able to heat/cool by the room which many cannot - whole house has to be heated/cooled if guests are in.
I do not expect a guest to give a rip about my costs - that is my problem and why my rates are what they are. These comments are familiar to me. A VERY successful package was killed when the other inn looked at the rate increase I wanted to pay me for the dinners I served as it only gave THEM a 5% raise - I looked at $$ and he looked at %. The package was my idea and more than doubled his total revenue in one year. He felt it was just fine for me to be paid only $6 more for 2 dinners than he was getting paid for 2 packed lunches. Some dollars are not worth taking.
I neglected to add, often they decide to pay that extra because I stood my ground and they want the room.
I realize that some people might expect the house to be empty at times. I am under the assumption that I will always be seeking to keep 1 or more rooms occupied. And I plan to live there, so the house needs to be heated/cooled almost all the time.
In a reasonably-insulated house, the cost to heat/cool one room for a day is probably a couple bucks at most. I consider it pound wise to take the money. I would say our winters for expensive fuel might be $400 for the house for a month, or about $12 a day. For one room, $1-$2 on average. And many rooms get the heat benefit through the wall or floor.
But as I said, each must make their own judgments.

PhineasSwann said:
undersea said:
One of the pieces of advice I received from my sellers was this:
"Never, never apologize for your rates."

Baygirl said:
I wish there was a polite way to tell the guy we are business and feel our prices are fair for the product we offer.
You just wrote the words you need to say:
We are business and feel our prices are fair for the product we offer.
Based on what my boss used to do with customers years and years ago, you can then add, quietly, and without confrontation: "Of course, there are probably cheaper places around if you feel you need to go elsewhere....."
Usually that threat of sending them packing is enough to shut them up. It's also rather bold and not for everyone to say it.
Believe me, there is the 5% who will go packing--had one pair head on down the road at 9 pm in a thunderstorm, refusing to pay $15 over their threshhold price. So be it.
The ones who ask belong to what I've named The Nothing Ventured | Nothing Gained Club.
My office mate years ago made a huge salary and he STILL asked for a discount every time. (I know, because my husband used to fix his house and every time it was the same thing!). Of curse, it is also how he had a whole lot more money than we did (kept it for himself, LOL!!!)
Honestly, it is just how people are raised and they can't help themselves sometimes. They really don't hold it against you and they guy probably is not even thinking of it when he arrives for check in. He ventured and you resisted. The End. So, great him warmly as you would any returning guest and don't bring it up.
NEXT time, say the words above the next time he asks for the discount.
OR, offer him "buy 10 nights/get one free" and see if he bites on that! You all win.

Breakfast Diva said:
Re weddings and mess ups, discounts, etc.
Absolutely agree (we do weddings, too). But, long ago, I had a bride who kept canceling rooms and eventually asked for a discount on the party room/wedding, too. My whole point for doing weddings at that time was to rent rooms. So, when she decided to cancel the last of the rooms I told her I was sending her deposit back and I was canceling the wedding at the inn.
It was 6 weeks to the little tiny wedding. She threatened to sue. I told her fine: you have to come to MY state to do it and my husband is an attorney.... never heard from her.
You have to get the hang of when it's time to bend and when bending is ridiculous. Mostly that comes from practice (and reading great chat groups for extra learning curve in advance).

Breakfast Diva said:
undersea said:
Morticia said:
I like the idea of an online form to fill in FIRST to REQUEST a whole house booking. Name of person responsible for entire party (phone, email, address), names of every person coming (and their email), number of guests coming and a breakfast menu that we will serve. Period.
I booked an August wedding last September. It took until YESTERDAY to get all 5 couples to book the individual rooms. But, I had the bride on the hook for it all that time. Always have a back up.
Everyone handles weddings differently; whatever works for you.
My sister uses the form method for ordering wedding flowers. I prefer phone conversations.

Back