Invalid Credit Cards From Booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had a cancellation due to the bad weather. Sent an email to bdotc telling them of the cancellation.
They wanted payment. We said no, we sent you an email. They asked for 'documentation.' DH said, I sent you an email. They asked again for 'documentation.'
He (nearly ) shouted, how do I document a phone call??? They called me, I emailed you! That's all the documentation there is.
It was a longer than necessary, frustrating phone call..
TheBeachHouse said:
Had a cancellation due to the bad weather. Sent an email to bdotc telling them of the cancellation.
Require the guest to make the cancellation themselves thru booking. I've had guests argue with me about this but it avoids the situation you had. Then you have proof from them because they have to email you to tell you to the rez is cancelled.
The guest receives an email from booking with the confirmation and info about how to cancel. In my confirmation I tell the guest all cancellations must go thru booking.
I require all OTA bookings to cancel via the system they booked. I also mention this in the confirmation I send to the guest, same as Mort.
Last spring I had a devil of a time with one guest who had failed to do his research as to our location compared to where he wanted to be. Of course it was my fault he booked here
cry_smile.gif
. He had just landed at the airport and was to arrive that afternoon.
After having spent nearly 2 hrs on the phone, multiple calls, I used the $ out of his pocket to get it through to him. 'Call them and cancel and I will only charge you for today, don't call and you are responsible for the entire bill.' I wish I had tho been smart enough to think of that about 110 minutes earlier.

If I was still an innkeeper, there is no way I would waste my time or money with booking. Com.
EmptyNest said:
If I was still an innkeeper, there is no way I would waste my time or money with booking. Com
Some locations do really well with it. But it can be 6 of one half dozen of another. I considered them for these concert goers, but i don't want to have more trouble than it is worth, plus paying for myallocator and their monthly fee increase... Which at the time when I considered it didnt allow special rate or periods, like a two night min over a holiday weekend, etc.
JBloggs said:
EmptyNest said:
If I was still an innkeeper, there is no way I would waste my time or money with booking. Com
Some locations do really well with it. But it can be 6 of one half dozen of another. I considered them for these concert goers, but i don't want to have more trouble than it is worth, plus paying for myallocator and their monthly fee increase... Which at the time when I considered it didnt allow special rate or periods, like a two night min over a holiday weekend, etc.
I wish that I was as full on my own to not need OTAs but they do fill my rooms! This year so far OTAs have been a big factor.

JB, I do not place all my inventory on the site, in fact do not place any certain room (by name) on there. I use Jr. Suite/Standard Qn. I do not use myallocator do to that and just go out on the site and add or remove inventory as I sell. Very busy periods I either do not have inventory on them OR use very strict booking policies. Bdotcom has updated their system to allow the hotel to make stricter policies to include min night stays and non-refundable. It worked well for us this last holiday season.
Of course if you are as busy as you want to be, don't bother!

They wanted payment. We said no, we sent you an email. They asked for 'documentation.' DH said, I sent you an email. They asked again for 'documentation.'
He (nearly ) shouted, how do I document a phone call??? They called me, I emailed you! That's all the documentation there is.
TheBeachHouse said:
Require the guest to make the cancellation themselves thru booking. I've had guests argue with me about this but it avoids the situation you had. Then you have proof from them because they have to email you to tell you to the rez is cancelled.
The guest receives an email from booking with the confirmation and info about how to cancel. In my confirmation I tell the guest all cancellations must go thru booking.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
DH did tell the guest to cancel with bkg. He sent the email as a double check and good thing he did.
I would like to drop them as well, but we do get a lot of business that way.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
DH did tell the guest to cancel with bkg. He sent the email as a double check and good thing he did.
I would like to drop them as well, but we do get a lot of business that way.
It doesn't sound like the guest followed thru or you would have had an email from booking showing the cancellation. Maybe that's the proof they were looking for.

I absolutely refuse to take a direct cancellation from a third-party reservation and you should as well.
For the first part, legally, you don't own the reservation, they do. You shouldn't be able to do anything to the reservation, not change date, nothing.
For the second part, they have the contract with the customer. Let them deal with it. That's why you are paying them.
We once had a guest who wanted to cancel a reservation at N/C. I told the guest that I would accept it if the reservation was cancelled by XPD within 1 hour and back into my inventory. If it exceed the hour, the cancellation charge applied. Want to make bets that the next call was? I needed the room back into inventory to sell it.... I wasn't going to wait for him to dawdle around. I got the call from XPD asking for the exception and they were told that it needed to be processed within 60 minutes to be at N/C. And lo and behold, 5 minutes later, it was back in inventory.

Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation.

Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation..
April said:
Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation.
Yes, that's the big problem - holding rooms for people who aren't ever going to show up!
I take a deposit right away. Weeds out the bad cards and the non existent guests.
Makes you wonder what hotels go thru if we're seeing so many of these.

Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation..
April said:
Yes, that's the big problem - holding rooms for people who aren't ever going to show up!
I take a deposit right away. Weeds out the bad cards and the non existent guests.
Morticia said:
I was trying to change my policy on Bdotcom to take the deposit at time of booking but could not find a way to change it. Mine says I will take the deposit at least 14 days prior to arrival. That was in a drop down selection. If you can, please tell me where this can be revised.

April said:
Morticia said:
I was trying to change my policy on Bdotcom to take the deposit at time of booking but could not find a way to change it. Mine says I will take the deposit at least 14 days prior to arrival. That was in a drop down selection. If you can, please tell me where this can be revised.
You have to contact your local rep for that, I do not think you can do that yourself

There are a few innkeepers complaining about this. It's good to check the credit card by taking the deposit. But, yes, it's a pain waiting for booking to get back to the guest.
Are you seeing a trend? Particular location?.
Morticia said:
Are you seeing a trend? Particular location?
Only trend is that I've been getting more invalid cards than valid ones through Booking since December. No particular location. Addresses have been in New York, California, Illinois, all around the country. None foreign.
And it's not like they're coming back as rejected for something like address mismatch or over credit limit. They are declined due to it being an invalid card number. Booking should be able to check that without even having to submit anything to the issuing bank.
I have had two of my personal cards replaced by my bank with cards with the chip. Maybe getting chipped cards is why so many cards are coming up invalid.

April said:
Morticia said:
I think mine says something like 'deposit will be taken anytime after reservation is made.'.
Doesn't sound like the way I would state it so I think you have to call in for that one. Unless it's under the tab of new things we can change.

There are a few innkeepers complaining about this. It's good to check the credit card by taking the deposit. But, yes, it's a pain waiting for booking to get back to the guest.
Morticia said:
Only trend is that I've been getting more invalid cards than valid ones through Booking since December. No particular location. Addresses have been in New York, California, Illinois, all around the country. None foreign.
And it's not like they're coming back as rejected for something like address mismatch or over credit limit. They are declined due to it being an invalid card number. Booking should be able to check that without even having to submit anything to the issuing bank.
I have had two of my personal cards replaced by my bank with cards with the chip. Maybe getting chipped cards is why so many cards are coming up invalid.
jfs said:
It's possible the card owners don't realize they cannot use their cards for online purchases. Most of the time, when I've had to report a card, several hours after the rez is made, it's a typo.
But, lots of innkeepers across the country are experiencing this. Given I get maybe 1 bad card every 100 direct reservations and folks here are saying 50% or more, it's either booking doing something wrong that screws up how the card number is reported or there are a lot of fake reservations out there.
Many other innkeepers are saying the phone numbers are bad and the email doesn't get answered by the guest.

Morticia said:
jfs said:
It's possible the card owners don't realize they cannot use their cards for online purchases. Most of the time, when I've had to report a card, several hours after the rez is made, it's a typo.
But, lots of innkeepers across the country are experiencing this. Given I get maybe 1 bad card every 100 direct reservations and folks here are saying 50% or more, it's either booking doing something wrong that screws up how the card number is reported or there are a lot of fake reservations out there.
Many other innkeepers are saying the phone numbers are bad and the email doesn't get answered by the guest.
That is scary. I stayed in a B&B in Charleston that only accepted checks, and I thought it was strange at the time, but I completely understand why they do it - no merchant fees, and the check (the full amount of the stay) has to clear prior to the arrival date.

Morticia said:
jfs said:
That is scary. I stayed in a B&B in Charleston that only accepted checks, and I thought it was strange at the time, but I completely understand why they do it - no merchant fees, and the check (the full amount of the stay) has to clear prior to the arrival date.
Sounds like 100 years ago

Morticia said:
jfs said:
We have a place in town that does not accept credit cards. They're happily full most of the same days we are with 4% lower costs. It works for them.

Morticia said:
jfs said:
Hmmm, we have Chip cards and they work fine online or over the phone.

Chip cards shouldn't be a problem. Some sites ask for the three or four digit security code, just like we do. Online should be a breeze.

Morticia said:
jfs said:
Momma Smurf said:
I've found it most often with AMEX cards. Brand new card, correct info (or the guest repeats the same mistake!), but they have to call amex to get the card authorized to use online.
Or, maybe they never authorized the new card! They're not going to tell me.

"I'm so sorry. Had you booked directly with us, we could easily cancel or change your reservation. But since you booked with a third party, you'll have to contact them directly. I have no way to remove the reservation from our system or prevent you from being charged.
"By the way, when you re-book, please call us directly or book on our direct website. Not only will it be easier, but you'll find the rate the same or even slightly lower than the online travel site."

Got this today from Booking...
Some partners indicated they would be interested in Booking.com collecting payment on their behalf to help mitigate the risk of no shows or cancellations. Others would like us to verify credit cards at the time of booking to avoid fraudulent bookings and issues with invalid credit cards. We are currently working on a new payment system that will enable us to facilitate payments and verify credit cards for our partners. Since it will take some time before we are able to offer this service as an option to our partners, we will update you on our progress.

Got this today from Booking...
Some partners indicated they would be interested in Booking.com collecting payment on their behalf to help mitigate the risk of no shows or cancellations. Others would like us to verify credit cards at the time of booking to avoid fraudulent bookings and issues with invalid credit cards. We are currently working on a new payment system that will enable us to facilitate payments and verify credit cards for our partners. Since it will take some time before we are able to offer this service as an option to our partners, we will update you on our progress..
Can we read that as: we know how to do this but we're not sure how much to charge you for it?
I think if my rez system can figure out if a card number isn't valid, anybody can do that.

Back