Invalid Credit Cards From Booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut.
They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away..
Hillbilly said:
Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut. They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away.
Hillbilly I know you are not a fan of OTAs - fine! For those that are as busy as they want to be.... be thankful and carry on!
Many others have found that OTAs have helped fill rooms and added needed funds.
I does not come without some pain. Do I wish that I did not need their help, sure. But our location is not one that is in the forefront of someones mind when looking for accommodation near the big city. OTAs help them find us! .

Booking is looking into a program to take payment. Expedia already does. I still have MY policies in place. In fact my polices are more strict on their sites than on mine.
Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:
Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut. They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away.
Hillbilly I know you are not a fan of OTAs - fine! For those that are as busy as they want to be.... be thankful and carry on!
I does not come without some pain. Do I wish that I did not need their help, sure. But our location is not one that is in the forefront of someones mind when looking for accommodation near the big city. OTAs help them find us! .

Booking is looking into a program to take payment. Expedia already does. I still have MY policies in place. In fact my polices are more strict on their sites than on mine.
i do realize they have there place and some feel they can't survive without them. In your case if your location restricts you from being able to get guests on your own than I can see it being helpful. I just feel that they are getting greedy and will only get worse as more people depend on them to fill rooms. That's my point. I know how hard you work and it's hard to watch them squeezing money from you. But in your case it's probably use them or not get any business. Sorry if I upset you!

Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut.
They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away..
Hillbilly said:

Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:

i do realize they have there place and some feel they can't survive without them. In your case if your location restricts you from being able to get guests on your own than I can see it being helpful. I just feel that they are getting greedy and will only get worse as more people depend on them to fill rooms. That's my point. I know how hard you work and it's hard to watch them squeezing money from you. But in your case it's probably use them or not get any business. Sorry if I upset you!
I think the key is to make sure that YOU are using the OTA, and not letting them use you. Build your business so that you take advantage of what they can offer (as a supplement to your own efforts), but not so that you become solely or even primarily dependent on them.

Hillbilly said:

Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:

I think the key is to make sure that YOU are using the OTA, and not letting them use you. Build your business so that you take advantage of what they can offer (as a supplement to your own efforts), but not so that you become solely or even primarily dependent on them.
OnTheShore said:
Well said! You are absalutly correct. :)

D.D. You know not only is your inn name here and easily googlable, but also your name on your sig line? They may be here as well.
Just an fyi, we foget this is an open space at times. Too late Gillum already replied to your comment, so you can't edit it now..
You can contact Swirt and ask him to remove it. He's nice and will probably do it for you, at least this time.
regular_smile.gif

No worries. I have a rule that I never say anything behind someone's back that I wouldn't say to their face. It makes life a lot easier.
Having been born in the South, I was also taught, "tell people to go to hell in a way that they'll look forward to the trip."

Hillbilly said:

Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:

Hillbilly said:
Copperhead said:
Hillbilly said:

No you did not up set me and I see your point. I can and do get my own bookings but I want more... maybe I am the greedy one!
wink_smile.gif

So I do use the OTAs to supplement. I do limit the # of rooms on them and I do try to turn each guest into a direct booking guest for all those stays after mine. People are not informed. The last one a couple weeks ago said 'they say no fees'. And I said 'you are right, there are none for the guest'
wink_smile.gif

I just got an insight into this business. What business? This incorrect business. So I am going to share my 2 cents here:
Autofill
Even when you say NO, never store my info it autofills info for you and you spend more time correcting it, even autofills wrong info.

I just got an insight into this business. What business? This incorrect business. So I am going to share my 2 cents here:
Autofill
Even when you say NO, never store my info it autofills info for you and you spend more time correcting it, even autofills wrong info..
JBloggs said:
Autofill
Even when you say NO, never store my info it autofills info for you and you spend more time correcting it, even autofills wrong info.
Good point.
I haven't noticed auto fill on my laptop working at all but lots of people book from their phones now. That's all auto fill, if some of my friends' Facebook posts are any proof.

Autofill
Even when you say NO, never store my info it autofills info for you and you spend more time correcting it, even autofills wrong info..
You may have hit the nail on the head, JB!

Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation..
April said:
Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation.
Yes, that's the big problem - holding rooms for people who aren't ever going to show up!
I take a deposit right away. Weeds out the bad cards and the non existent guests.
Makes you wonder what hotels go thru if we're seeing so many of these.
Morticia said:
I have made maybe four or five reservations at hotels in the past six months - every single one has charged a night's stay at the time of reservation.

Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation..
April said:
Our problem with b.com this year is the bookings that get canceled - about 50%. I just changed the policy that 30% non refundable deposit will be charged upon the reservation. Since I did that did not have any bookings. I rather have non than an illusion that I have a guest coming and possible loosing a real reservation.
Yes, that's the big problem - holding rooms for people who aren't ever going to show up!
I take a deposit right away. Weeds out the bad cards and the non existent guests.
Morticia said:
I have made maybe four or five reservations at hotels in the past six months - every single one has charged a night's stay at the time of reservation.
muirford said:
Morticia said:
True. I'm wondering how many reservations they get that are no good. If we're seeing 50% bad cards is that because guests think we're not going to charge?
And, if hotels are now charging first night in advance I don't want to hear anymore complaints that 'I've never had to pay up front anywhere!'

Just an update on my life journey with the Good Book(ing)
  1. After several in a row that sparked this topic, I haven't had a bad card from Booking in 3 months. I doubt they did anything to change things. It was probably just a fluke, that I had so many bad cards in a short period.
  2. I don't know if they've changed something, but I've received more reservations from Booking in the last 2 weeks than I had in the previous 2 years! I still don't like them, but I don't dislike them as much when they're putting lots of heads in beds!

1. After several in a row that sparked this topic, I haven't had a bad card from Booking in 3 months. I doubt they did anything to change things. It was probably just a fluke, that I had so many bad cards in a short period.
  2. I don't know if they've changed something, but I've received more reservations from Booking in the last 2 weeks than I had in the previous 2 years! I still don't like them, but I don't dislike them as much when they're putting lots of heads in beds!
Ditto that, Arks.

Arks said:
Always nice to have paying heads in beds.

I contacted Booking last week when they sent me the email about their efforts with security and how we should keep the data secure ... blah, blah
I asked them about these issues with credit cards and asked when they were going to roll out the prepayment option. Or if they would consider pre-authorizing CCs to rule out the fraudulent ones. Their short answer was that it was being beta tested with a few markets and plans are not yet available for the future as it is so expensive......

Agree. Lots of bookings in the past 2 weeks from bk. Not sure why. All but one I was able to charge the full amount of the stay to the card provided with no problem. Had one I had to get 3 different cards before I got one that worked. But again, heads in beds forgives a lot of sins.

Back