Invalid Credit Cards From Booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got this today from Booking...
Some partners indicated they would be interested in Booking.com collecting payment on their behalf to help mitigate the risk of no shows or cancellations. Others would like us to verify credit cards at the time of booking to avoid fraudulent bookings and issues with invalid credit cards. We are currently working on a new payment system that will enable us to facilitate payments and verify credit cards for our partners. Since it will take some time before we are able to offer this service as an option to our partners, we will update you on our progress..
Can we read that as: we know how to do this but we're not sure how much to charge you for it?
I think if my rez system can figure out if a card number isn't valid, anybody can do that.
Morticia said:
Can we read that as: we know how to do this but we're not sure how much to charge you for it?
I think if my rez system can figure out if a card number isn't valid, anybody can do that.
Yes, it should be an easy 2-day job for them, at most. You're probably right. They are looking for a way to profit from doing it. I also got an e-mail from them today saying they will soon send me a satisfaction questionnaire. Oh boy.

Some partners indicated they would be interested in Booking.com collecting payment on their behalf to help mitigate the risk of no shows or cancellations. Others would like us to verify credit cards at the time of booking to avoid fraudulent bookings and issues with invalid credit cards. We are currently working on a new payment system that will enable us to facilitate payments and verify credit cards for our partners. Since it will take some time before we are able to offer this service as an option to our partners, we will update you on our progress..
finding a card valid doesn't mean it actually has any money in the account

Jcam said:
But that would be half the problem gone to have them check the validity. Half the ones that come thru error out as 'invalid'.

Jcam said:
No. I'll find that out when I run the deposit transaction. But if they would just check that it's a valid card number before sending me the reservation, it would save me the time of importing invalid card info from Myallocator into Reskey and running the deposit transaction, only to find it is a bad card number. This has happened several times lately and I'm tried of it.

Morticia said:
Yes, it should be an easy 2-day job for them, at most. You're probably right. They are looking for a way to profit from doing it. I also got an e-mail from them today saying they will soon send me a satisfaction questionnaire. Oh boy.
Arks said:
Morticia said:
Then again, if their programmers quit as often as their account reps quit...

Jcam said:
No. I'll find that out when I run the deposit transaction. But if they would just check that it's a valid card number before sending me the reservation, it would save me the time of importing invalid card info from Myallocator into Reskey and running the deposit transaction, only to find it is a bad card number. This has happened several times lately and I'm tried of it.
Plus, that's a transaction. We pay for checking the validity of the card by trying to run it.

They seem to get a lot of this in the UK - they make the reservation to get the printout as proof, use that to get a visa, and then cancel or no show but the card is invalid..
gillumhouse said:
They seem to get a lot of this in the UK - they make the reservation to get the printout as proof, use that to get a visa, and then cancel or no show but the card is invalid.
Gillum is right, it is rife in the UK, easily 1/5th of B.con reservations are a declined card. The 'guests' know that cards aren't checked at the time of booking and so long as they have their Booking Confirmation paperwork they are happy. They have no intention of actually staying, they just need the paperwork for UK border entry so it looks like they're staying somewhere (and have paid for it) vs staying with friends/family.

Did my first pre-charge for a bkng.com reservation for this coming weekend. Hated to do it (hate paying the slightly higher percentage for a keyed/vs/swiped transaction) but glad I did. Charge went through, so now I don't have to worry about a no-show.

Did my first pre-charge for a bkng.com reservation for this coming weekend. Hated to do it (hate paying the slightly higher percentage for a keyed/vs/swiped transaction) but glad I did. Charge went through, so now I don't have to worry about a no-show..
I hate the extra dollars, too. But, given how many bad cards we got from booking last season, it's worth not worrying about it.

Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut.
They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away.

Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut.
They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away..
And they (the OTAs) will withhold contact information, so you won't be able to communicate with guests directly, only through their system.
The vacation rental sites are already starting to do these things (following A-B-B's lead)...

There are a few innkeepers complaining about this. It's good to check the credit card by taking the deposit. But, yes, it's a pain waiting for booking to get back to the guest.
Are you seeing a trend? Particular location?.
Morticia said:
Are you seeing a trend? Particular location?
Only trend is that I've been getting more invalid cards than valid ones through Booking since December. No particular location. Addresses have been in New York, California, Illinois, all around the country. None foreign.
And it's not like they're coming back as rejected for something like address mismatch or over credit limit. They are declined due to it being an invalid card number. Booking should be able to check that without even having to submit anything to the issuing bank.
I have had two of my personal cards replaced by my bank with cards with the chip. Maybe getting chipped cards is why so many cards are coming up invalid.
jfs said:
I have had two of my personal cards replaced by my bank with cards with the chip. Maybe getting chipped cards is why so many cards are coming up invalid.
It's possible the card owners don't realize they cannot use their cards for online purchases. Most of the time, when I've had to report a card, several hours after the rez is made, it's a typo.
But, lots of innkeepers across the country are experiencing this. Given I get maybe 1 bad card every 100 direct reservations and folks here are saying 50% or more, it's either booking doing something wrong that screws up how the card number is reported or there are a lot of fake reservations out there.
Many other innkeepers are saying the phone numbers are bad and the email doesn't get answered by the guest.
That is scary. I stayed in a B&B in Charleston that only accepted checks, and I thought it was strange at the time, but I completely understand why they do it - no merchant fees, and the check (the full amount of the stay) has to clear prior to the arrival date.
We have a place in town that does not accept credit cards. They're happily full most of the same days we are with 4% lower costs. It works for them.
They're lucky.
Lots of travelers won't even look at properties that don't take credit cards as you have none of the protections that many credit cards offer you, plus you don't get your reward points, miles, etc. Lodging prices being what they are, this can be a deal breaker for a lot of folks. I'm one of those.
regular_smile.gif

I'm looking forward to watching my next-door competitors as they grapple with joining the OTAs. They've grumbled about all the guests I get, and apparently have convinced themselves its because of OTAs. (They actually account for no more 3% of my business). They've tried stealing my guests when they come next-door for dinner, to little avail.
So this month they signed up for OTA listings, and they are on most of the sites. They've signed up for Exp d's discounting program for "members," so they're listing their rooms at 25% off their normal rate. What I expect will happen when they get their first few bookings is that they'll quickly realize that with the 25% commission as well, they're getting just 50 cents on the dollar on their rooms. And they'll freak out about it.
Just gonna sit here, munch popcorn and watch.

I'm looking forward to watching my next-door competitors as they grapple with joining the OTAs. They've grumbled about all the guests I get, and apparently have convinced themselves its because of OTAs. (They actually account for no more 3% of my business). They've tried stealing my guests when they come next-door for dinner, to little avail.
So this month they signed up for OTA listings, and they are on most of the sites. They've signed up for Exp d's discounting program for "members," so they're listing their rooms at 25% off their normal rate. What I expect will happen when they get their first few bookings is that they'll quickly realize that with the 25% commission as well, they're getting just 50 cents on the dollar on their rooms. And they'll freak out about it.
Just gonna sit here, munch popcorn and watch..
EVIL - I love it.

D.D. You know not only is your inn name here and easily googlable, but also your name on your sig line? They may be here as well.
Just an fyi, we foget this is an open space at times. Too late Gillum already replied to your comment, so you can't edit it now.

D.D. You know not only is your inn name here and easily googlable, but also your name on your sig line? They may be here as well.
Just an fyi, we foget this is an open space at times. Too late Gillum already replied to your comment, so you can't edit it now..
I sorry........

the fact that you market hard, do a super job with guests, fight for google ranking and work dam hard could not possibly be the reason lol

The smart move on their part would be to become friendly and realize that competing isn't working, it's hindering. But of course not everyone realizes that B&Bs are in business together, not apart. I gladly send business to other B&Bs and they send them to me, because we realize that we can help each other and there is no point in stealing each others clients.

Just an fyi, we foget this is an open space at times. Too late Gillum already replied to your comment, so you can't edit it now..
You can contact Swirt and ask him to remove it. He's nice and will probably do it for you, at least this time.
regular_smile.gif

They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away..
Hillbilly said:
Won't be long and the OTAs will just charge the customers and then send you guys your cut. They will probably decide your polices and streamline it that way.they will do this if you want the bookings. You will be essentially working for them in away.
Hillbilly I know you are not a fan of OTAs - fine! For those that are as busy as they want to be.... be thankful and carry on!
Many others have found that OTAs have helped fill rooms and added needed funds.
I does not come without some pain. Do I wish that I did not need their help, sure. But our location is not one that is in the forefront of someones mind when looking for accommodation near the big city. OTAs help them find us! .

Booking is looking into a program to take payment. Expedia already does. I still have MY policies in place. In fact my polices are more strict on their sites than on mine.

Back