Just Went Full Frontal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good..but you can go oh so much larger. If you want to do 1920px x 600 or even 800. SAME THEME as yours.
See this one ( though it still uses sidebar).
Ah, I see, no container background... little steps for me! First the widgets, and maybe eventually the background. Another lovely EN site!
Also..if you do the flat theme option to lose the page shading, your photos will fill in ..instead of having the top and bottom margins.
You mean the feature slideshow photo top and bottom? I've gone back and forth on life without borders.
Yes.
Oh just had to tell someone...I just did my first and I hope LAST site with SQ Spa ce....GRR....this will surely make you appreciate STRIKING...It was so hard to do things because they stick you with a template and it is like pulling teeth to get it to do what I wanted...and it still isn't what I really wanted but the client who had already paid them...likes it so I guess that is a good thing. Take a peek here.
Wow! That's slick!

Looks good..but you can go oh so much larger. If you want to do 1920px x 600 or even 800. SAME THEME as yours.
Ah, I see, no container background... little steps for me! First the widgets, and maybe eventually the background. Another lovely EN site!
Also..if you do the flat theme option to lose the page shading, your photos will fill in ..instead of having the top and bottom margins.
You mean the feature slideshow photo top and bottom? I've gone back and forth on life without borders.
Yes.
Oh just had to tell someone...I just did my first and I hope LAST site with SQ Spa ce....GRR....this will surely make you appreciate STRIKING...It was so hard to do things because they stick you with a template and it is like pulling teeth to get it to do what I wanted...and it still isn't what I really wanted but the client who had already paid them...likes it so I guess that is a good thing. Take a peek here.
Wow! That's slick!
You can do the same thing with ENFOLD, DIVI, AVADA and the new CHAMPION themes.

Re cruises: I like the Lewis R French. Big enough to have a variety of passengers but small enough to not get lost in the crowd. Double wooden hull originally launched in 1871.
Used the dup rather than do another entry.

Wait. What am I enlarging and how?
You can make your page slider as large as 1920 px wide. In Theme options, be sure to set Nivo slider margins as 0.
With either... Nivo Slider or Revolution slider and on the pages choose them as your header.
Their new Champion theme can due full width parallax etc like the newest WP themes. Most popular right now: Avada, Divi, and Enfold.
Thank you! Just increased the height of the Feature Header Slider and redid all my photos. The scale is much better! (and no more borders!). Really like the way it all looks now.
I would like to fool around with another theme, need to decide if I have the energy. Again, thank you for all of your advice!

I like larger images if there is something to see. I don't like them if it is a plate of food. I think there needs to be a reason to be bigger, some who have giant plates of food turn me off. A scenic view like what you showed E.N. is worthy of viewing larger.

You can make your page slider as large as 1920 px wide. In Theme options, be sure to set Nivo slider margins as 0.
With either... Nivo Slider or Revolution slider and on the pages choose them as your header.
Their new Champion theme can due full width parallax etc like the newest WP themes. Most popular right now: Avada, Divi, and Enfold.
Thank you! Just increased the height of the Feature Header Slider and redid all my photos. The scale is much better! (and no more borders!). Really like the way it all looks now.
I would like to fool around with another theme, need to decide if I have the energy. Again, thank you for all of your advice!
You can always just set up a new subdirectory on your server, install a new one and play with it. Then if you like it, transfer it over to the main directory.

In the UK full frontal means something entirely different! lol

In the UK full frontal means something entirely different! lol.
LOL...yes we know
devil_smile.gif

You can always just set up a new subdirectory on your server, install a new one and play with it. Then if you like it, transfer it over to the main directory.
I know, I know. Knowing my current website, which one would I have the most fun with and would work?

Well, OK, if you don't mind I would like to suggest a few improvements.
1. Now that you don't have sidebars (to hell with them), your content has a width of 960 pixels. Generally it is a bad idea to have text longer than 600 pixels, as the wider it is - the more difficult it is to scan and read. Which is why people usually try to keep the width of their main content in the 500-700 pixels zone.
2. Tahoma is a yucky font, unless that's what you are going for. 12px font size Tahoma across 960 pixels - annoying at best.
3. There are some misplaced and misused HTML tags, but I will not go into that right now :)
4. For the past couple of years people started getting rid of the "Home" link in their main menu, visitors are used to clicking on the logo, might save you some space.
5. I would change the blue "availability" button at the top. Your background is blue, so a blue call to action button has no contrast and doesn't stand out. Try maybe a shade of red/orange?
6. The Great Vibes font at this size is unreadable, at least for me.
Once you are finished with the layout changes, I highly recommend that you try some reading about readability, specifically about the ratio of (1) font size, (2) line height and (3) content width.
A very good article on this topic can be found here: Secret Symphony: The Ultimate Guide to Readable Web Typography
Let me know if you have some questions about these points, I'm glad to help.

1. Now that you don't have sidebars (to hell with them), your content has a width of 960 pixels. Generally it is a bad idea to have text longer than 600 pixels, as the wider it is - the more difficult it is to scan and read. Which is why people usually try to keep the width of their main content in the 500-700 pixels zone.
2. Tahoma is a yucky font, unless that's what you are going for. 12px font size Tahoma across 960 pixels - annoying at best.
3. There are some misplaced and misused HTML tags, but I will not go into that right now :)
4. For the past couple of years people started getting rid of the "Home" link in their main menu, visitors are used to clicking on the logo, might save you some space.
5. I would change the blue "availability" button at the top. Your background is blue, so a blue call to action button has no contrast and doesn't stand out. Try maybe a shade of red/orange?
Once you are finished with the layout changes, I highly recommend that you try some reading about readability, specifically about the ratio of (1) font size, (2) line height and (3) content width.
A very good article on this topic can be found here: Secret Symphony: The Ultimate Guide to Readable Web Typography
Let me know if you have some questions about these points, I'm glad to help..
7. Green links on a green background - a colorblind person's nightmare. Try making your links red (#da5246) and give them a text-decoration: underline, make them easier to spot, it looks so much better.
8. Instead of Tahoma 12px try Open Sans 16px with a line-height of 2em, it looks so much better, especially with the change from above.

7. Green links on a green background - a colorblind person's nightmare. Try making your links red (#da5246) and give them a text-decoration: underline, make them easier to spot, it looks so much better.
8. Instead of Tahoma 12px try Open Sans 16px with a line-height of 2em, it looks so much better, especially with the change from above.
No Open Sans, only Verdana, Arial, Lucida Uni-code, Trebuchet MS. Not sure what line height 2em is? And how to I switch to narrower text field?

No Open Sans, only Verdana, Arial, Lucida Uni-code, Trebuchet MS. Not sure what line height 2em is? And how to I switch to narrower text field?
You most certainly do have open sans just go into your fonts section in theme options there are loads of choices
you can also set line height in theme options

You most certainly do have open sans just go into your fonts section in theme options there are loads of choices
I went to Font: General Settings: Site font Options and there are only 9 fonts showing?
Yes, I know how to set the line height, just wondered what Dimitru recommended. 2em seems to be a typo. I changed to Arial, font size 16 with Line Spacing at 26. Can't figure out how to change the content width to be narrower as he suggested.

I went to Font: General Settings: Site font Options and there are only 9 fonts showing?
Yes, I know how to set the line height, just wondered what Dimitru recommended. 2em seems to be a typo. I changed to Arial, font size 16 with Line Spacing at 26. Can't figure out how to change the content width to be narrower as he suggested.
Did you look under the other options you can choose from font faces and Google fonts
2 em line spacing seems too much to me. I usually stick to the default unless I need to do some custom css for something special

Did you look under the other options you can choose from font faces and Google fonts
2 em line spacing seems too much to me. I usually stick to the default unless I need to do some custom css for something special
Yes, I use Lato for my Header fonts, but how do I designate a Google font for Body text?

2em basically means something like (x2).
So if your font-size is 15px, a 2em line-height would be line-height: 30px.
So no matter what font-size you set, the 2em will always match the font-size. If you set it to 10px, it will be 20.
Alternatively you can try something like 1.85em, etc.
The general rule of thumb is this: the wider your content width is, the bigger the line-height should be.
But sure, 16/26 is also not bad, though for my taste 16/30 would be even better under these conditions.
Open Sans looks so much smoother than Tahoma/Verdana/Arial and I think matches your overall style.

Back