Just Went Full Frontal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, OK, if you don't mind I would like to suggest a few improvements.
1. Now that you don't have sidebars (to hell with them), your content has a width of 960 pixels. Generally it is a bad idea to have text longer than 600 pixels, as the wider it is - the more difficult it is to scan and read. Which is why people usually try to keep the width of their main content in the 500-700 pixels zone.
2. Tahoma is a yucky font, unless that's what you are going for. 12px font size Tahoma across 960 pixels - annoying at best.
3. There are some misplaced and misused HTML tags, but I will not go into that right now :)
4. For the past couple of years people started getting rid of the "Home" link in their main menu, visitors are used to clicking on the logo, might save you some space.
5. I would change the blue "availability" button at the top. Your background is blue, so a blue call to action button has no contrast and doesn't stand out. Try maybe a shade of red/orange?
6. The Great Vibes font at this size is unreadable, at least for me.
Once you are finished with the layout changes, I highly recommend that you try some reading about readability, specifically about the ratio of (1) font size, (2) line height and (3) content width.
A very good article on this topic can be found here: Secret Symphony: The Ultimate Guide to Readable Web Typography
Let me know if you have some questions about these points, I'm glad to help..
7. Green links on a green background - a colorblind person's nightmare. Try making your links red (#da5246) and give them a text-decoration: underline, make them easier to spot, it looks so much better.
8. Instead of Tahoma 12px try Open Sans 16px with a line-height of 2em, it looks so much better, especially with the change from above.
No Open Sans, only Verdana, Arial, Lucida Uni-code, Trebuchet MS. Not sure what line height 2em is? And how to I switch to narrower text field?
You most certainly do have open sans just go into your fonts section in theme options there are loads of choices
you can also set line height in theme options
I went to Font: General Settings: Site font Options and there are only 9 fonts showing?
Yes, I know how to set the line height, just wondered what Dimitru recommended. 2em seems to be a typo. I changed to Arial, font size 16 with Line Spacing at 26. Can't figure out how to change the content width to be narrower as he suggested.
Did you look under the other options you can choose from font faces and Google fonts
2 em line spacing seems too much to me. I usually stick to the default unless I need to do some custom css for something special
Yes, I use Lato for my Header fonts, but how do I designate a Google font for Body text?
Under theme options/ Fonts. Go to Google Font settings

1. Now that you don't have sidebars (to hell with them), your content has a width of 960 pixels. Generally it is a bad idea to have text longer than 600 pixels, as the wider it is - the more difficult it is to scan and read. Which is why people usually try to keep the width of their main content in the 500-700 pixels zone.
2. Tahoma is a yucky font, unless that's what you are going for. 12px font size Tahoma across 960 pixels - annoying at best.
3. There are some misplaced and misused HTML tags, but I will not go into that right now :)
4. For the past couple of years people started getting rid of the "Home" link in their main menu, visitors are used to clicking on the logo, might save you some space.
5. I would change the blue "availability" button at the top. Your background is blue, so a blue call to action button has no contrast and doesn't stand out. Try maybe a shade of red/orange?
Once you are finished with the layout changes, I highly recommend that you try some reading about readability, specifically about the ratio of (1) font size, (2) line height and (3) content width.
A very good article on this topic can be found here: Secret Symphony: The Ultimate Guide to Readable Web Typography
7. Green links on a green background - a colorblind person's nightmare. Try making your links red (#da5246) and give them a text-decoration: underline, make them easier to spot, it looks so much better.
8. Instead of Tahoma 12px try Open Sans 16px with a line-height of 2em, it looks so much better, especially with the change from above.
No Open Sans, only Verdana, Arial, Lucida Uni-code, Trebuchet MS. Not sure what line height 2em is? And how to I switch to narrower text field?
You most certainly do have open sans just go into your fonts section in theme options there are loads of choices
I went to Font: General Settings: Site font Options and there are only 9 fonts showing?
Yes, I know how to set the line height, just wondered what Dimitru recommended. 2em seems to be a typo. I changed to Arial, font size 16 with Line Spacing at 26. Can't figure out how to change the content width to be narrower as he suggested.
Did you look under the other options you can choose from font faces and Google fonts
2 em line spacing seems too much to me. I usually stick to the default unless I need to do some custom css for something special
Yes, I use Lato for my Header fonts, but how do I designate a Google font for Body text?
Site Name, Tagline, Widget & Footer Titles (which are h3 tags), Copyright Text, Dropcaps, Feature Header Title (h1 tag), Blog title, Portfolio Title, h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, Top Level Navigation Text, & Child Navigation Text
These are replaced by the Google Font when you turn it on, but body text is something different, still as far as I can see those 9 options.

So the only way I could get this to work was to use the Google Font CSS editor? Or is there another way?
body {
font-family: 'Open Sans', sans-serif;
font-weight: 400;
font-style: normal;
font-size: 16px;
color: #0a3a6a;
}

2em basically means something like (x2).
So if your font-size is 15px, a 2em line-height would be line-height: 30px.
So no matter what font-size you set, the 2em will always match the font-size. If you set it to 10px, it will be 20.
Alternatively you can try something like 1.85em, etc.
The general rule of thumb is this: the wider your content width is, the bigger the line-height should be.
But sure, 16/26 is also not bad, though for my taste 16/30 would be even better under these conditions.
Open Sans looks so much smoother than Tahoma/Verdana/Arial and I think matches your overall style.
Thank you Dimitru! I think I've finally figured most of it out. Love the look of Lato with Open Sans!!

Altho I like the larger photos, Dimitru is right - it's too hard to read across the page like that. You might be able to create a 'text block' inside the present text block to decrease the span. Another option is more paragraphs to break up the text block.
Also, the script font is too much all at once. Maybe just the capital letter at the beginning and then not so fancy?
This is reading it on the laptop. It was fine on the tablet.

Altho I like the larger photos, Dimitru is right - it's too hard to read across the page like that. You might be able to create a 'text block' inside the present text block to decrease the span. Another option is more paragraphs to break up the text block.
Also, the script font is too much all at once. Maybe just the capital letter at the beginning and then not so fancy?
This is reading it on the laptop. It was fine on the tablet..
There must be a way to specify via css a max body text content width?
I've had the Great Vibes there forever, more a design element and SEO purposes.
Since I've switched to full page everywhere, my bounce rate has dramatically dropped to the mid-teens, so it's all an improvement.
Has anyone used the WP plug-in Site Origin CSS? This may be the way for me to go.

Since I've switched to full page everywhere, my bounce rate has dramatically dropped to the mid-teens, so it's all an improvement.
Has anyone used the WP plug-in Site Origin CSS? This may be the way for me to go.
You don't need to use another plugin. You can just add any custom css under THEME OPTIONS /GENERAL/ Custom styles
This all written so close together in that Great VIbes font...kind of just blends the lines together. IT doesn't stand out..can you try BOLD?
Featuring Maine Getaway Packages with
Four Course Dinner at Clay Hill Farm
Two Night Value Packages Begin at $315
Open All Year Round
I would try:
font-family: 'Great Vibes',sans-serif;
font-size: 30px;
color: #275A29;
line-height: 1.2em;
font-weight: 600;
}
There just seems to be too much text to read...can you try some line breaks or something...People won't read ...Bullet points would make the eye move through text better.
See this page: http://kaptinlin.com/themes/strikingr/pages/services/ Just using this as an example. You can use shortcodes ie; columns to break up spaces etc.
See this sample page: http://kaptinlin.com/themes/strikingr/shortcodes/columns/
You will get an idea of how you might break things up. You are not using the theme capabilities as they could be use.
Another one to look at: http://kaptinlin.com/themes/strikingr/shortcodes/content-box/

You don't need to use another plugin. You can just add any custom css under THEME OPTIONS /GENERAL/ Custom styles
This all written so close together in that Great VIbes font...kind of just blends the lines together. IT doesn't stand out..can you try BOLD?
Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
There just seems to be too much text to read...can you try some line breaks or something...People won't read ...Bullet points would make the eye move through text better.
See this page: http://kaptinlin.com/themes/strikingr/pages/services/ Just using this as an example. You can use shortcodes ie; columns to break up spaces etc.
You will get an idea of how you might break things up. You are not using the theme capabilities as they could be use.
Another one to look at: http://kaptinlin.com/themes/strikingr/shortcodes/content-box/
YAY! all I needed to do was add the line-height=1.2em; Who knew? Grrrrr, how much silly time have I spent trying to figure that out.
OK, will check out the other text break selections.
Thank you once again EN for EM tip!

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
YAY! all I needed to do was add the line-height=1.2em; Who knew? Grrrrr, how much silly time have I spent trying to figure that out.
Not done yet...your link bar at the top is no longer functioning properly. Your 'directions' page link is now in your photo.

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
Not done yet...your link bar at the top is no longer functioning properly. Your 'directions' page link is now in your photo.
What browser are you using? It's OK in IE
& Chrome

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Sure would like to take a peek! If only I could remember the site!
wink_smile.gif

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Sure would like to take a peek! If only I could remember the site!
wink_smile.gif

Will PM you !

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Momma Smurf said:
& Chrome
Firefox.

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Momma Smurf said:
& Chrome
Firefox.
Menu is fine here on Poppa's Firefox. But it does now appear that I have to snippet the FB page widget and convert to a BMP with link. Not showing at all in Fox.

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Momma Smurf said:
& Chrome
Firefox.
Menu is fine here on Poppa's Firefox. But it does now appear that I have to snippet the FB page widget and convert to a BMP with link. Not showing at all in Fox.
Momma Smurf said:
I pray to the gods, the old ones and the new, that you are not actually using the .bmp image format.

Open All Year Round
I would try:
}
& Chrome
Momma Smurf said:
& Chrome
Firefox.
Momma Smurf said:
I pray to the gods, the old ones and the new, that you are not actually using the .bmp image format.
Haha! Ancient 90s slip of the tongue, actually 'twas to PNG

w00t! w00t! I think my full frontal formatting is finally fixed!
EN, Mort, Dimitru take a look!
Thanks y'all

Thanks y'all.
Still looks the same to me. 'Directions' is in the photo, text is all clumped together, script font still hard to read.

Thanks y'all.
Still looks the same to me. 'Directions' is in the photo, text is all clumped together, script font still hard to read.
I checked it on Firefox, Chrome, IE, and everything looks perfectly fine. What version are you using?
Am using 44.0 Latest Fox version
Can anyone else out there check in Fox to see if Directions goes into slider???
Maybe it's your screen resolution? Nope, just changed my monitor to your 1440x900 and all is well

Thanks y'all.
I checked it on Firefox, Chrome, IE, and everything looks perfectly fine. What version are you using?
Am using 44.0 Latest Fox version
Can anyone else out there check in Fox to see if Directions goes into slider???
Maybe it's your screen resolution? Nope, just changed my monitor to your 1440x900 and all is well
Still seeing the same thing on new version of FF. Had to reboot computer! However, pay no attention as my OS is not new.

Back