Off Topic - Arks are you Grinning Yet?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
spARKS
pARKS
under the golden ARches
... or something.
Enjoy!
heart.gif

Parked it at McDonald's today. Came out after lunch and saw that two 20-something "dudes" were circling it, and circling it. I think it just looks like every other car on the road. The carmaker wind tunnel tests tell them the ideal shape for best gas mileage, so all cars look alike these days.
But these dudes had a good eye and spotted something they'd never seen at McDonald's before!.
Arks said:
Parked it at McDonald's today. Came out after lunch and saw that two 20-something "dudes" were circling it, and circling it. I think it just looks like every other car on the road. The carmaker wind tunnel tests tell them the ideal shape for best gas mileage, so all cars look alike these days.
But these dudes had a good eye and spotted something they'd never seen at McDonald's before!
I'm sure you're the first in your town to get one, aren't you? You're a celebrity.
Breakfast Diva said:
I'm sure you're the first in your town to get one, aren't you? You're a celebrity.
First within 100 miles in any direction.But I now have some friends determined to get one!

And, as I understand it, the "super charger" charging stations are free. You can drive all the way across the country and not spend a penny for fuel. There are 2 superchargers within range of my car, and I'm about as far as one can get from one!
So here it is. Overcast day so not the best photo, but still, thanks Innkeep for convincing me to get the red. It's quite beautiful!
tesla.jpg
Beautiful! Have fun with her!

A more affordable Tesla Model III is apparently on the horizon!
https://www.minds.com/blog/view/443508465227272192/tesla039s-model-iii-goes-200-miles-per-charge-and-costs-35000

A more affordable Tesla Model III is apparently on the horizon!
https://www.minds.com/blog/view/443508465227272192/tesla039s-model-iii-goes-200-miles-per-charge-and-costs-35000
And I just saw this, http://www.teslamotors.com/modelx

Yes, it just keeps getting better. The $35,000 car has been their goal all along. Just had to grow a while and gear up for the demand.

Yes, it just keeps getting better. The $35,000 car has been their goal all along. Just had to grow a while and gear up for the demand..
Still waiting for the electrician to give me an estimate.

Yes, it just keeps getting better. The $35,000 car has been their goal all along. Just had to grow a while and gear up for the demand..
I feel so cheap... I was looking at a Volt recently with the federal tax credit as well as used. I just cannot justify it yet. You save on gas, but the cost per mile is well beyond driving my 06 civic which gets in the low 30s. And it is an ULEV vehicle.
Guess I will have to wait until these things get down into my radar. I have 150,000 miles and was hoping for 200,000+. Maybe by the time I am ready to decommission the Civic, the numbers will be more favorable.

Good to be back. Vacations are hard work! And expensive! I'm not a fan of either of those.

Good to be back. Vacations are hard work! And expensive! I'm not a fan of either of those..
Arks said:
Good to be back. Vacations are hard work! And expensive! I'm not a fan of either of those.
You just got cornered into it, I see. :) Buyer's remorse I think it is called.

Or maybe beer drinker's remorse. Guinness got a lot of my money in Ireland (but ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Coke there)!

Or maybe beer drinker's remorse. Guinness got a lot of my money in Ireland (but ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Coke there)!.
Arks said:
Or maybe beer drinker's remorse. Guinness got a lot of my money in Ireland (but ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Coke there)!
I would drink Guinness and DH said he hated it. Then we went to Ireland where he found the light! It's something about that country and it's Guinness that gets under your skin. Your money was well spent Arks!

Or maybe beer drinker's remorse. Guinness got a lot of my money in Ireland (but ounce for ounce it's cheaper than Coke there)!.
You were there for the big party after the referendum?

Jon Sable said:
I was there during and after the referendum but didn't see any partying, other than the usual Irish partying! There were "vote yes" and "vote no" signs all over the country. We didn't know what it was about until we asked.

Jon Sable said:
I was there during and after the referendum but didn't see any partying, other than the usual Irish partying! There were "vote yes" and "vote no" signs all over the country. We didn't know what it was about until we asked.
Some of the stories from friends in Dublin were a lot more colourful. Saturday was supposed to be crazy in parts of Dublin.

I was in Dingle. They're more interested in sheep dog herding competitions there.
Breakfast Diva recently put me on to the book An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor, the true story of an Irishman from the Dingle Peninsula who was on three amazing British expeditions to Antarctica in the early 1900's, so I paid a visit to the pub Crean ran after his retirement from exploring.
I visited a few other pubs, also ;-)

I was in Dingle. They're more interested in sheep dog herding competitions there.
Breakfast Diva recently put me on to the book An Unsung Hero: Tom Crean - Antarctic Survivor, the true story of an Irishman from the Dingle Peninsula who was on three amazing British expeditions to Antarctica in the early 1900's, so I paid a visit to the pub Crean ran after his retirement from exploring.
I visited a few other pubs, also ;-).
Arks said:
I loved the Dingle peninsula, so beautiful - we traveled that instead of the Ring of Kerry. It was challenging to switch to the Gaelic road signs.
The pubs there, and on the west coast (Doolin, in particular) were wonderful - the living rooms of the Irish!
We are hoping to go back next year - if you have recommendations on places to stay, I would love to hear them.

I visited a few other pubs, also ;-).
Arks said:
I loved the Dingle peninsula, so beautiful - we traveled that instead of the Ring of Kerry. It was challenging to switch to the Gaelic road signs.
The pubs there, and on the west coast (Doolin, in particular) were wonderful - the living rooms of the Irish!
We are hoping to go back next year - if you have recommendations on places to stay, I would love to hear them.
muirford said:
if you have recommendations on places to stay, I would love to hear them.
4 years ago when we spent 4 nights in Dingle we stayed at Lantern B-B on Dingle's Main Street. It was nice, and she (the owner) was nice, but she only serves an extended continental breakfast, and I'm a "full Irish breakfast" guy, so this time I booked us for 3 nights at Benners Hotel, right across Main Street from the Lantern, and we loved it.
Very friendly staff, great rooms full of EXPENSIVE antiques, great bar and restaurant, and the full breakfast. They'll cook all you want of eggs any style, great Belgian waffles, and lots more. They also did my laundry for just $15, which was much appreciated after 10 days of washing things in lavatories and dripping them dry over the tub. Also, the hotel has a large, free car park!
We walked across Main Street one night to attend the traditional Irish music concert in the old church, and it's just a block down Main Street to the two best live music pubs in town, An Droichead Beag and The Courthouse.

Back