Problems with credit cards + pin?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to talk to your processor. It should come back instantly. And if it gets refused, it should say "bad PIN" or something like that one the transaction.
Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine..
Generic said:
I think you need to talk to your processor. It should come back instantly. And if it gets refused, it should say "bad PIN" or something like that one the transaction.
Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine.
If a card is not accepted I get a code, that's it. Then I have to look up what the code means, but I don't have that handy. This is the second time it's happened and both times I got a string of codes that I assumed meant something to the processor. They didn't want to know.
Her take was I could do a software update. Just to shut me up because it takes two HOURS to finish. Was not getting into that last night. It will have to wait until we're quiet again.
What's your contract with them? I'm on month to month, so I can change at any time.
Generic said:
What's your contract with them? I'm on month to month, so I can change at any time.
Yearly. It's that time right now but I have nothing to switch to again this year.
When I explained to the snippy person on the phone that hand entering worked but that it was a lot more expensive she said, 'Well, I guess it depends how much you want to make the sale.'
So, yeah, annoy me RIGHT when it's time to sign up again.
It is the phone/iPad thing that keeps you from Square isn't it. That would hold you over until you could decide on something.
She has an android tablet. She can do that at any time. But the percentages with Square are quite high.
Generic said:
She has an android tablet. She can do that at any time. But the percentages with Square are quite high.
I think I figured it out a few years ago and Square was higher, even with the absurd rates for rewards cards and extra fees for business cards and the stupid fee for accepting debit cards and the one I still can't figure out that charges me more because I'm 'missing data' on business cards. They can't explain what data I'm missing, either.

Generic said:
If a card is not accepted I get a code, that's it. Then I have to look up what the code means, but I don't have that handy. This is the second time it's happened and both times I got a string of codes that I assumed meant something to the processor. They didn't want to know.
Her take was I could do a software update. Just to shut me up because it takes two HOURS to finish. Was not getting into that last night. It will have to wait until we're quiet again.
Generic said:
Yearly. It's that time right now but I have nothing to switch to again this year.
When I explained to the snippy person on the phone that hand entering worked but that it was a lot more expensive she said, 'Well, I guess it depends how much you want to make the sale.'
It is the phone/iPad thing that keeps you from Square isn't it. That would hold you over until you could decide on something.
Not as high as getting locked into another contract before researching options. Not that long now until things slow to research pace.

I'm with Elavon as a seasonal business. Get my processor from June to September (so far). Then off season, use PaydPro with Moneris. That way I can process debit cards (200 free debit transactions) since the Square Reader will not do debit. Elavon rate is cheaper as long as I do over $5000 and PaydPro will only process up to $5000 ($19.95 a month, 2.5. %)

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Simply. Yes. I don't have anything Square plugs into. Of course, I could sign up with one of those automatic systems that goes thru the rez system. But, I've had a bit of a frenetic year so I'll deal with it next time around.
Square will plug into your tablet. Maybe you should get one as a backup in case of EMV problems, until your company has it cleaned up.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Simply. Yes. I don't have anything Square plugs into. Of course, I could sign up with one of those automatic systems that goes thru the rez system. But, I've had a bit of a frenetic year so I'll deal with it next time around.
Square will plug into your tablet. Maybe you should get one as a backup in case of EMV problems, until your company has it cleaned up.
Kind of an expensive option to get another tablet just to do credit cards.
I now have a pay as you go phone that hasn't been turned on in two weeks. I don't want more gadgets!
If I get an i thing then I'll get the square thing at the same time. But I'm a dinosaur, is better to just face that.
But, hey, new computer this winter! And new photo software so I can really do what I enjoy.

Have tried using the chip reader twice. Both time gave me errors and I had to swipe as usual.

Our credit card reader company sent us an email letting everyone know that they will cover us 100% while they work out all the problems in the new chip card reader. When it is all ready, they will send them out to us. So no problems here. Just enter manually for the ones that won't swipe.

Have tried using the chip reader twice. Both time gave me errors and I had to swipe as usual..
PhineasSwann said:
Have tried using the chip reader twice. Both time gave me errors and I had to swipe as usual.
I can't do that. If the machine knows there's a chip, I have to use the chip reader. My only fallback plan is manual entry or the guest has a different card.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
I now have a pay as you go phone that hasn't been turned on in two weeks. I don't want more gadgets!
If I get an i thing then I'll get the square thing at the same time. But I'm a dinosaur, is better to just face that.
But, hey, new computer this winter! And new photo software so I can really do what I enjoy.
You have the Nexus tablet.... don't you? Just do it on your wifi. It will work. Nothing new needed.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
You have the Nexus tablet.... don't you? Just do it on your wifi. It will work. Nothing new needed.
Just do what?

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Square

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
You have the tablet and it can be used with square. So you can get it as a backup system.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Square
Harborfields said:
How? I'm missing something here. If I don't have something to plug it into, how does it work via WiFi?

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
You have the tablet and it can be used with square. So you can get it as a backup system.
Generic said:
Again, how, if square doesn't plug into the nexus?

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Square
Harborfields said:
How? I'm missing something here. If I don't have something to plug it into, how does it work via WiFi?
I think if you download the ap, you could enter it manually OR use the invoice function - you send an invoice and the customers enters the info and that does NOT have the extra manual fee.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Generic said:
Yes it does. Right into the audio socket.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Generic said:
Don't you have a headphone plug in port on it? That is where the squ are plugs in.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Generic said:
Don't you have a headphone plug in port on it? That is where the squ are plugs in.
EmptyNest said:
Aha! Thank you!
Just use small words and talk slowly. Eventually I'll catch on. I think I'll order that and see how it works.

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
Aha! Thank you!
Just use small words and talk slowly. Eventually I'll catch on. I think I'll order that and see how it works.
plug for ear buds
bluetooth for new chip reader. Pull down top menu, look for this symbol...
bluetooth-256-000000.png

Generic said:
Generic said:
gillumhouse said:
Just do what?
Generic said:
EmptyNest said:
Aha! Thank you!
plug for ear buds
bluetooth for new chip reader. Pull down top menu, look for this symbol...
bluetooth-256-000000.png

Yes. I have Bluetooth on here. That's how it works? Well, well, well. I'll have to check into this next week when we fall off that end of season cliff! Even tho peak foliage is 2 weeks behind, that memo hasn't gotten out yet.

Back