Problems with credit cards + pin?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need to talk to your processor. It should come back instantly. And if it gets refused, it should say "bad PIN" or something like that one the transaction.
Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine..
Generic said:
I think you need to talk to your processor. It should come back instantly. And if it gets refused, it should say "bad PIN" or something like that one the transaction.
Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine.
If a card is not accepted I get a code, that's it. Then I have to look up what the code means, but I don't have that handy. This is the second time it's happened and both times I got a string of codes that I assumed meant something to the processor. They didn't want to know.
Her take was I could do a software update. Just to shut me up because it takes two HOURS to finish. Was not getting into that last night. It will have to wait until we're quiet again.
What's your contract with them? I'm on month to month, so I can change at any time.
Generic said:
What's your contract with them? I'm on month to month, so I can change at any time.
Yearly. It's that time right now but I have nothing to switch to again this year.
When I explained to the snippy person on the phone that hand entering worked but that it was a lot more expensive she said, 'Well, I guess it depends how much you want to make the sale.'
So, yeah, annoy me RIGHT when it's time to sign up again.
It is the phone/iPad thing that keeps you from Square isn't it. That would hold you over until you could decide on something.
gillumhouse said:
It is the phone/iPad thing that keeps you from Square isn't it. That would hold you over until you could decide on something.
Simply. Yes. I don't have anything Square plugs into. Of course, I could sign up with one of those automatic systems that goes thru the rez system. But, I've had a bit of a frenetic year so I'll deal with it next time around.
Square will plug into your tablet. Maybe you should get one as a backup in case of EMV problems, until your company has it cleaned up.
Kind of an expensive option to get another tablet just to do credit cards.
I now have a pay as you go phone that hasn't been turned on in two weeks. I don't want more gadgets!
If I get an i thing then I'll get the square thing at the same time. But I'm a dinosaur, is better to just face that.
But, hey, new computer this winter! And new photo software so I can really do what I enjoy.
You have the Nexus tablet.... don't you? Just do it on your wifi. It will work. Nothing new needed.
Just do what?
You have the tablet and it can be used with square. So you can get it as a backup system.
Generic said:
You have the tablet and it can be used with square. So you can get it as a backup system.
Again, how, if square doesn't plug into the nexus?
Don't you have a headphone plug in port on it? That is where the squ are plugs in.
EmptyNest said:
Don't you have a headphone plug in port on it? That is where the squ are plugs in.
Aha! Thank you!
Just use small words and talk slowly. Eventually I'll catch on. I think I'll order that and see how it works.
plug for ear buds
bluetooth for new chip reader. Pull down top menu, look for this symbol...
bluetooth-256-000000.png

Seems it only works with the 2nd gen model.

Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine..
Generic said:
Ask your processor if you need to do a software update on your machine.
If a card is not accepted I get a code, that's it. Then I have to look up what the code means, but I don't have that handy. This is the second time it's happened and both times I got a string of codes that I assumed meant something to the processor. They didn't want to know.
Her take was I could do a software update. Just to shut me up because it takes two HOURS to finish. Was not getting into that last night. It will have to wait until we're quiet again.
Generic said:
Yearly. It's that time right now but I have nothing to switch to again this year.
When I explained to the snippy person on the phone that hand entering worked but that it was a lot more expensive she said, 'Well, I guess it depends how much you want to make the sale.'
So, yeah, annoy me RIGHT when it's time to sign up again.
gillumhouse said:
Simply. Yes. I don't have anything Square plugs into. Of course, I could sign up with one of those automatic systems that goes thru the rez system. But, I've had a bit of a frenetic year so I'll deal with it next time around.
Square will plug into your tablet. Maybe you should get one as a backup in case of EMV problems, until your company has it cleaned up.
Kind of an expensive option to get another tablet just to do credit cards.
I now have a pay as you go phone that hasn't been turned on in two weeks. I don't want more gadgets!
If I get an i thing then I'll get the square thing at the same time. But I'm a dinosaur, is better to just face that.
But, hey, new computer this winter! And new photo software so I can really do what I enjoy.
You have the Nexus tablet.... don't you? Just do it on your wifi. It will work. Nothing new needed.
Just do what?
Generic said:
Again, how, if square doesn't plug into the nexus?
EmptyNest said:
Aha! Thank you!
Just use small words and talk slowly. Eventually I'll catch on. I think I'll order that and see how it works.
plug for ear buds
bluetooth for new chip reader. Pull down top menu, look for this symbol...
bluetooth-256-000000.png

Yes. I have Bluetooth on here. That's how it works? Well, well, well. I'll have to check into this next week when we fall off that end of season cliff! Even tho peak foliage is 2 weeks behind, that memo hasn't gotten out yet.
Audio jack for the regular square reader, bluetooth for the EMV reader, both work with your tablet and Android.

I have yet to get the new gizmo to work. Friday night I gave up and did a manual entry because the card would not swipe. Sunday could not get chip card to work. It DID finally swipe - I was just about to have him send me a check when it finally swiped on the last try. I am totally frustrated with it. Thank you so very much - now I know it is not just numbnutz me..
K, did you get the plug-in chip-card reader that is just a bigger version of the original square, or did you get the wireless chip-card and contact-less reader? We don't have the latter, but with the former we found that you have to really give the battery a good charge when you first get the device. Then charge it again! Also, you need to have a good network connection (wifi or cell) with your device. You have to wait until the thing has established a good connection and is ready (on my phone it displays an orange bar after I plug the device in while it it connecting, which then goes black when it is ready). Don't dip the chip card into the reader until it is ready, then slip the card in there with the chip side up (facing the logo-ed side of the device) and don't move it.
Harborfields said:
K, did you get the plug-in chip-card reader that is just a bigger version of the original square, or did you get the wireless chip-card and contact-less reader? We don't have the latter, but with the former we found that you have to really give the battery a good charge when you first get the device. Then charge it again! Also, you need to have a good network connection (wifi or cell) with your device. You have to wait until the thing has established a good connection and is ready (on my phone it displays an orange bar after I plug the device in while it it connecting, which then goes black when it is ready). Don't dip the chip card into the reader until it is ready, then slip the card in there with the chip side up (facing the logo-ed side of the device) and don't move it.
Well THANK YOU for the explanation. That was nowhere in the directions I received. I looked like an idiot the first time.
Had another time when the swipe did not work (no chip) tried her card twice, then his nothing. Had to go back and find my old reader which worked on the first swipe. .

Just had 2 from the UK that worked fine. One debit, one credit. No problems. However, the owner of the debit card said she hasn't been able to use it as a debit card in a lot of places. Worked ok here.
So, did something get fixed last night or did those 2 other guests really not know their pin?

Just had 2 from the UK that worked fine. One debit, one credit. No problems. However, the owner of the debit card said she hasn't been able to use it as a debit card in a lot of places. Worked ok here.
So, did something get fixed last night or did those 2 other guests really not know their pin?.
I don't have a pin and have no idea how to get one with my new CC. Guess I need to check with the company. But..so far, i just swipe it everywhere and it works just fine. I don't know what the big deal is. No one I deal with has the machines.

So, did something get fixed last night or did those 2 other guests really not know their pin?.
I don't have a pin and have no idea how to get one with my new CC. Guess I need to check with the company. But..so far, i just swipe it everywhere and it works just fine. I don't know what the big deal is. No one I deal with has the machines.
Only a few small banks in the US (largest being First Niagara) have actually set PINs for their EMV cards unless you insist. Today the big announcement was that Targé has said that all their issued cards will use PINs. Of course, Targé is no longer around here, they failed miserable, put their tail between their legs and ran away like a scared dog. But they are going to be the largest issuer in the US with Chip & PIN.
Many of the banks can do PIN if you want. They are required to be able to do it if they issue US government cards, but they haven't done it for consumers, because... well... they don't care about your security at all.

Ah. We're on the bleeding edge then! Well, I'll get all the problems solved and tell everyone how it worked. I'm guessing going to square is looking more positive to shall businesses rather than going thru this crap!
I'm going to order the square and use it randomly to see how it works out for us. Then maybe just drop the processor next year.

Ah. We're on the bleeding edge then! Well, I'll get all the problems solved and tell everyone how it worked. I'm guessing going to square is looking more positive to shall businesses rather than going thru this crap!
I'm going to order the square and use it randomly to see how it works out for us. Then maybe just drop the processor next year.
you can buy square readers in Walmart.

EmptyNest said:
I haven't seen the new chip/pen ones there and if they are selling them it will be more than purchasing direct from Square as the old swipe cards were/are FREE if you order direct from Square.

Crazy chip reader! Even though I now know how to use the thing, thanks to Harborfields for the explanation, the Square $29 version is still flaky!

I tried several times to run a charge with a AMEX card but it would never process. They finally presented me with a Visa and it went through on first attempt. Last week a couple had to give me 3 cards before it went through. What a pita.

At least the couple this week said they are experiencing this all over the place with frustration by both customers and merchants. I don't think it is 1 piece of equipment.

Crazy chip reader! Even though I now know how to use the thing, thanks to Harborfields for the explanation, the Square $29 version is still flaky!

I tried several times to run a charge with a AMEX card but it would never process. They finally presented me with a Visa and it went through on first attempt. Last week a couple had to give me 3 cards before it went through. What a pita.

At least the couple this week said they are experiencing this all over the place with frustration by both customers and merchants. I don't think it is 1 piece of equipment..
Thank you. I was beginning to wonder. I did recharge my gizmo and will put it on charge the next time a guest checks in to be sure it is fully charged. And that is also thanks to Harborfields' coaching.
I think the problem is with the banks and the cards themselves. I do not think they have done their side of it properly. BTW - neither of our cards have been issued as chip yet = and BOTH cards have been reissued in the last couple months due to being compromised.

At least the couple this week said they are experiencing this all over the place with frustration by both customers and merchants. I don't think it is 1 piece of equipment..
For months I have been begging square to let me have one and test it. Nope. Instead of testing it where we have done it all the time and are used to it, they decided to test it on a new market. Don't understand.

Copperhead said:
At least the couple this week said they are experiencing this all over the place with frustration by both customers and merchants. I don't think it is 1 piece of equipment.
Is the problem everyone is experiencing only with trying to use the square reader or is it vany kind of reader when using the chip card?

Copperhead said:
Is the problem everyone is experiencing only with trying to use the square reader or is it vany kind of reader when using the chip card?
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
This couple was talking about restaurants in general. I doubt most eateries would use Square as they can get a better rate with a reg. processor due to the amount they take in each day.

And they were also complaining about having to add the tip while the server was standing right there. And a recommended tip amount was also placed in the tip spot. A learning curve for the US.

Hmmm.... I don't really recall any chip cards that wouldn't run...
Of course, the number of cards that we process here is probably just a fraction of what most of you do.

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:
This couple was talking about restaurants in general. I doubt most eateries would use Square as they can get a better rate with a reg. processor due to the amount they take in each day.

And they were also complaining about having to add the tip while the server was standing right there. And a recommended tip amount was also placed in the tip spot. A learning curve for the US.
Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

This is training. Servers should not be hovering. They should quickly explain what they are doing, what the diner needs to do, that the tip amount is completely adjustable, that they have to wait for the machine back and then they should step back.
Mine actually says - return to clerk - once the card has been read.
It's learning, yes, but teaching has to take place as well.

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

This is training. Servers should not be hovering. They should quickly explain what they are doing, what the diner needs to do, that the tip amount is completely adjustable, that they have to wait for the machine back and then they should step back.
looking at the new square chip reader. ..it looks totally simple. just stick the card in and it processes it. no where i even see a place to input a pin #
i think this is just terminology. it says there are choices. most in US dont need a pin

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

looking at the new square chip reader. ..it looks totally simple. just stick the card in and it processes it. no where i even see a place to input a pin #
i think this is just terminology. it says there are choices. most in US dont need a pin
If PINs were to be implemented, one would likely just enter a pin on a software keypad on the phone/tablet screen... (instead of signing on the device's screen)

Copperhead said:
Morticia said:
Copperhead said:

We have been doing this for YEARS. The waiter simply puts in the amount and hands you the unit. The waiter, even if hovering, couldn't really see what you put in as a tip. But they will see it on the receipt anyway.
I assume they are complaining because they tip badly, otherwise you won't care enough to worry about it. It's easy enough to adjust. We do it all the time. Often we don't tip on the card anyway, we leave that in cash.

Back