1st Time in 8 Years I've locked the linen closet

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lock it if you can and be done with it.
I have one set of returning guests who go into the linen closet in the cottage, rearrange the contents and store some of their personal things in there. There is no need for this since there is another full closet just across the room. They are the only guests who mess with the closet, but they are otherwise neat and clean and very accommodating. Just the same, if I had a lock on the closet I would use it. I just don't like the idea of anyone messing with supplies..
we once had guests on the third floor who decided to store their bag in the eves. So they opened the access panel to the eves and oops, a bunch of wasps came out.
it's an old house. don't mess with the balance. and who told you you could open an access panel into my attic space? I store stuff there!
anyway, nature punished them. I didn't have to.
I believe in locking every possible place I don't want people to go into. Theft, liability, damage, etc.
They rented the room, they have access to the common areas. Laundry, closets, kitchen, attic, basement, sheds, owner's quarters, unrented rooms, etc - all will be locked.
The one I especially dislike is when guests use the emergency exit outside stairs. The sign says Emergency Exit Only.
It is a staircase, a walk across roof tiles and then another staircase. I don't like people walking on the roof. It isn't meant for that.
Can Hubs hook up an air horn or some LOUD device that will go off if that door is opened? Post a sign that alarm goes off if opened.

I have one set of returning guests who go into the linen closet in the cottage, rearrange the contents and store some of their personal things in there. There is no need for this since there is another full closet just across the room. They are the only guests who mess with the closet, but they are otherwise neat and clean and very accommodating. Just the same, if I had a lock on the closet I would use it. I just don't like the idea of anyone messing with supplies..
we once had guests on the third floor who decided to store their bag in the eves. So they opened the access panel to the eves and oops, a bunch of wasps came out.
it's an old house. don't mess with the balance. and who told you you could open an access panel into my attic space? I store stuff there!
I believe in locking every possible place I don't want people to go into. Theft, liability, damage, etc.
They rented the room, they have access to the common areas. Laundry, closets, kitchen, attic, basement, sheds, owner's quarters, unrented rooms, etc - all will be locked.
The one I especially dislike is when guests use the emergency exit outside stairs. The sign says Emergency Exit Only.
It is a staircase, a walk across roof tiles and then another staircase. I don't like people walking on the roof. It isn't meant for that.
TheBeachHouse said:
Add a notice that says 'Alarm will sound'. Then yell when you see them doing it.

TheBeachHouse said:
Add a notice that says 'Alarm will sound'. Then yell when you see them doing it.
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
I sent for a new sign that says, NOTICE, this is an emergency exit only. I also got one for the bottom of the stairs that says, NOTICE, this is not an entrance.
Hope they help. We will see.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
I sent for a new sign that says, NOTICE, this is an emergency exit only. I also got one for the bottom of the stairs that says, NOTICE, this is not an entrance.
Don't count on it. My neighbor just installed a sign on her driveway that says "private, no turns" so now everyone drives a few feet more and turns around at the side where she parks her car.
For years she had no parking signs up and she would come home to find her whole drive filled with parked cars.
She also has a notice up to not walk your dog in her yard. Does not even slow them down.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
Don't count on it. My neighbor just installed a sign on her driveway that says "private, no turns" so now everyone drives a few feet more and turns around at the side where she parks her car.
For years she had no parking signs up and she would come home to find her whole drive filled with parked cars.
She also has a notice up to not walk your dog in her yard. Does not even slow them down.
Morticia said:
The other night I told a couple, "we prefer you use the inside stairs rather than these." I am waiting for the review saying I'm mean.

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
Notice: Demilitarized Zone. Step on Land Mines at Your Own Risk...

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
See, I like simple solutions, you put a little strip of metal down and a sign that says "Danger, tire spikes! Do not reverse! At Your Own Risk and Peril."

TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
TheBeachHouse said:
Hahhahahahahahaaa.
Morticia said:
The other night I told a couple, "we prefer you use the inside stairs rather than these." I am waiting for the review saying I'm mean.
TheBeachHouse said:
Morticia said:
You are so polite. I would say, 'Do not use the emergency exit unless it's an emergency.' I have so little patience with guests thinking they can go where they want regardless.
Like in the kitchen because apparently you cannot wash the kid's plate in your bathroom sink but MUST use the kitchen sink in the middle of breakfast.

yea, but unfortunately, cannot lock emergency exits...
embaressed_smile.gif

but you could alarm them!
edit: responding before reading to end of thread....

I love it when people drive by the sign that says "Parking for The ********", drive down our long driveway to the back of the house, try and park in our wee little spot in front of or in between our personal vehicles, and then ring the bell at our backdoor??
" Oh, do I use the front door?"
Really???

I love it when people drive by the sign that says "Parking for The ********", drive down our long driveway to the back of the house, try and park in our wee little spot in front of or in between our personal vehicles, and then ring the bell at our backdoor??
Really???.
At that point, isn't it time to consider a retractable bollard?
http://www.ontariobollards.com/retractable-bollards.html some can be remote activated. Certainly will keep people out.

Really???.
We are now building a little house next to the B&B to move into. I've already bought a beautiful large sign that says Private Drive which I will put in the driveway at the split. But I realize that it will have to stick into the driveway quite a bit to force them to drive toward the sign that says B&B this way. I'm sure that I'm gonna get people coming up to my little house knocking to try to check in which of course is gonna drive me nuts because I built the house to be separate from the business at times.
We also have a large overhang on the front of the B&B building. Not a portico but just an overhang with a couple chairs that totally keeps the door out of the weather. It has a flagstone walkway and is clearly not a portico like at the Hampton Inn. We had so many idiots back their cars right up to get their trunk under the overhang when it was raining that we had to put large planters in the way so they can't fit because the flagstones aren't meant to hold the weight of a car and can crack. The best story was when we first set it up -- a guy in a mini van actually squeezed through them the first day so his wife didn't get wet. When he went out to dinner, hubby moved them closer and we watched as the guy tried to fit between them again. He kept hitting them and pulling forward and trying it again. He finally gave up and she got out, got a couple raindrops on herself and then he parked where he should. Wish I had recordered it, it was priceless.

Well, the linen thieves finally checked out this morning. I stripped the room. Of course the king sheets were still on the queen bed, but I also found that they had taken off the mattress pad and turned it inside out!
Now, I suppose that the mattress pad could have possibly come off when they took off the sheets the first night. However, this is one of those pads that really wraps around the mattress, so I really doubt if that's what happened. Paranoid! But they gave us some very nice cheese and cookies when they left and said that they really enjoyed themselves.
DNR list!

Well, the linen thieves finally checked out this morning. I stripped the room. Of course the king sheets were still on the queen bed, but I also found that they had taken off the mattress pad and turned it inside out!
Now, I suppose that the mattress pad could have possibly come off when they took off the sheets the first night. However, this is one of those pads that really wraps around the mattress, so I really doubt if that's what happened. Paranoid! But they gave us some very nice cheese and cookies when they left and said that they really enjoyed themselves.
DNR list!.
Glad they are gone. They remind me of a couple, returning guests actually, who bring their own sheets and basically strip the bed before making it up. We won't have them back and I don't miss them!

DNR list!.
Glad they are gone. They remind me of a couple, returning guests actually, who bring their own sheets and basically strip the bed before making it up. We won't have them back and I don't miss them!
Funny - we have guests who have stayed with us more than any others over the 10 years and she brings her own bedspread and pillows with her every time. We have the room made up with just the sheets and blanket and then she "decorates" it like she's at home with her stuff. It seemed quirky the first time, but they are lovely people and I have no issues. I'd rather that than the weirdos who sleep on top of the bed instead of in it.

Really???.
http://www.ontariobollards.com/retractable-bollards.html some can be remote activated. Certainly will keep people out.
Charlie said:
They have retractable bollards at the Capitol which are retracted on Tourism Day among other times to let vehicles through (to unload displays etc). In Feb we watched a small white car go through and my friend who was driving her SUV started through and as the front of her SUV passed over the bollards, they came up (they were supposed to stay down during the set-up period) and caught her under the "bumper" area before her vehicle slid off the bollards. Had I been driving that day, it would have gotten my engine area (FIT is low to the ground). She was able to drive it thak goodness.

DNR list!.
Funny - we have guests who have stayed with us more than any others over the 10 years and she brings her own bedspread and pillows with her every time. We have the room made up with just the sheets and blanket and then she "decorates" it like she's at home with her stuff. It seemed quirky the first time, but they are lovely people and I have no issues. I'd rather that than the weirdos who sleep on top of the bed instead of in it.
The sheet issue was just one of their many quirks. They also had severe feather allergies, which meant I had to strip the room, cat allergies, which meant that they could not even see the cat on our side of the house without freaking out, and a list as long as my arm for all things they did not eat.
As I said, otherwise nice folks but too high maintenance at this point in our inn keeping lives.

DNR list!.
The sheet issue was just one of their many quirks. They also had severe feather allergies, which meant I had to strip the room, cat allergies, which meant that they could not even see the cat on our side of the house without freaking out, and a list as long as my arm for all things they did not eat.
As I said, otherwise nice folks but too high maintenance at this point in our inn keeping lives.
That is why it is good to have at least one hypoallergenic room available
Also, 10% are allergic to cats. And their dander gets into everything. Could never stay at place with cats

DNR list!.
That is why it is good to have at least one hypoallergenic room available
Also, 10% are allergic to cats. And their dander gets into everything. Could never stay at place with cats
undersea said:
That is why it is good to have at least one hypoallergenic room available Also, 10% are allergic to cats. And their dander gets into everything. Could never stay at place with cats
That's why it's very important to list these things on the website. Yes, we have cats. No, they do not roam freely. Yes, we have dogs. Yes, they roam freely.
Let guests self-sort. Best to put photos of the beasties in a prominent location on the site.

DNR list!.
Agree, those guests were over the top and not worth the irritation.

Back