2010 Census - Business Contact

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CH there was an ad in our local paper today from the Sheriff's Dept stating to be ware of phony census takers. (Opportunists who know people will let them in with this census going on)
It said they should NOT have access to the inside of your home at all, they are to provide proper id and can interview you outside but not inside - they are not allowed to interview children..
JB, thanks for thinking of me on this. I have seen several warnings of this and the facts about their home interviews. What is different is the fact that all lodging establishments fall under different regulations. On the 2010 census website (can't recall the exact page) it states that all hotels, Inns, B&B's boarding houses etc. provide egress freely to the census taker. It also states that we are required to provide the names of those staying here on a temp. basis (not just those living here). It does not state the key date of 4/1 - as Mort. mentioned was on her questionaire, but they must use a date or everything would be messed up. (well then again, we are talking about the gov. lol)
The difference was that when this person from the local office called me, they stated they were wanting to interview all my guests. The website does not state that at all, just names and to provide egress.
You can bet your last dollar that BEFORE they are allowed in my home - business or not it is my home - they will need to provide me with their census id - (how do we know if a census id is real or fake? ). I already told them during our last call that they would need to contact us to set up an appt. as our doors are not 'open' to walk ins and we are sometimes not available. I still can not imagine how they are going to do this with hotels.
copperhead said:
JB, thanks for thinking of me on this. I have seen several warnings of this and the facts about their home interviews. What is different is the fact that all lodging establishments fall under different regulations. On the 2010 census website (can't recall the exact page) it states that all hotels, Inns, B&B's boarding houses etc. provide egress freely to the census taker. It also states that we are required to provide the names of those staying here on a temp. basis (not just those living here). It does not state the key date of 4/1 - as Mort. mentioned was on her questionaire, but they must use a date or everything would be messed up. (well then again, we are talking about the gov. lol)
The difference was that when this person from the local office called me, they stated they were wanting to interview all my guests. The website does not state that at all, just names and to provide egress.
You can bet your last dollar that BEFORE they are allowed in my home - business or not it is my home - they will need to provide me with their census id - (how do we know if a census id is real or fake? ). I already told them during our last call that they would need to contact us to set up an appt. as our doors are not 'open' to walk ins and we are sometimes not available. I still can not imagine how they are going to do this with hotels.
They couldn't do it with hotels, "Get up out of that bed - what the heck do you two think you are doing?!!"
I mean, they can't, it would be impossible. Other than checking the guest "register" for who is here and where from. And on this same subject, what about our guests confidentiality? Disclaimer - I am not even implying any sort of political train of thought - just to clarify in case anyone takes the ball and runs with it - invisible or not. :)
i got my official Census visit today. When I asked about April 1, they told me that my count would be official "today". This is actually the third visit, they started bugging me way back last summer! Anyway, the questionnaire only wanted to know about anyone who was here because they didn't have another permanent address, so that was just me.
They showed up during breakfast time when 4 other people were around the table, and were gracious enough to come back after breakfast. Two of them this time instead of just one. And IF the Census bureau decides to audit, I was told I might possibly expect one more visit.
We hav never received a thing!! Called the PO and they said everything had been delivered :-( I don't know who to blame but the PO. So we just wait until someone turns up at our door asking info. GRRRR...I have had it with our PO!
We never got anything either. We don't know if it's because we have a PO box (can't get mail delivered within the town limits) or something else.

CH there was an ad in our local paper today from the Sheriff's Dept stating to be ware of phony census takers. (Opportunists who know people will let them in with this census going on)
It said they should NOT have access to the inside of your home at all, they are to provide proper id and can interview you outside but not inside - they are not allowed to interview children..
copperhead said:
They couldn't do it with hotels, "Get up out of that bed - what the heck do you two think you are doing?!!"
I mean, they can't, it would be impossible. Other than checking the guest "register" for who is here and where from. And on this same subject, what about our guests confidentiality? Disclaimer - I am not even implying any sort of political train of thought - just to clarify in case anyone takes the ball and runs with it - invisible or not. :)
i got my official Census visit today. When I asked about April 1, they told me that my count would be official "today". This is actually the third visit, they started bugging me way back last summer! Anyway, the questionnaire only wanted to know about anyone who was here because they didn't have another permanent address, so that was just me.
They showed up during breakfast time when 4 other people were around the table, and were gracious enough to come back after breakfast. Two of them this time instead of just one. And IF the Census bureau decides to audit, I was told I might possibly expect one more visit.
We hav never received a thing!! Called the PO and they said everything had been delivered :-( I don't know who to blame but the PO. So we just wait until someone turns up at our door asking info. GRRRR...I have had it with our PO!
We never got anything either. We don't know if it's because we have a PO box (can't get mail delivered within the town limits) or something else.
we have our own personal mailbox and address..no PO box. I am suspicious of our mail carrier. We have had a number of lost mailings this year already:-(

copperhead said:
The Census Taker here said because this is a B&B no form would be mailed out, and his visit was instead of a form.

copperhead said:
The Census Taker here said because this is a B&B no form would be mailed out, and his visit was instead of a form.
When the census worker stopped here to check address, she was specifically told this is not a B & B any longer. It is now a private residence. So maybe she didn't get it!!!

copperhead said:
Innkeep said:
Yes, mine too.

copperhead said:
Joey Bloggs said:
JB, I really think this is what they plan on doing. And I am with you on guest confidentiality too. See my posts 67280 on the law and 67281 for an example of confidentiality issues.

copperhead said:
Innkeep said:
I do find that there is still no firm ground rules with this census. They are so adimit to get a good count that I think it will be way off. Here we are just a hand full of innkeepers and we are experiencing differences, just think how different may be throughout the country!

We got the form and already completed it, but oddly enough I just got a call asking if this was still a B&B. Hm.

copperhead said:
Hmmmm. We are a B & B and we got the form.
I don't want no stinkin' visits!!!

Census takers (2) came to the door today. First asked if we had any LONG term guests staying with us - and I asked what that meant. They did not give me a real time frame but stated that they did not need to know of any that were here 2-3 days only those that may be here long term that may not have another permanent address. Good! Nothing to report other than my fam.
They were really more knowledgeable than the person that was on the phone with me as stated in my earlier post. When I stated that I had requested an appointment for the visit, they said there were no notes to that affect....again, shows that person was not trained.

Back