4 kids, 2 parents

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have had 3 lots of children so far ... first set of 3 (2 almost teen girls and one 8 ish year old boy) alone in one room. There was clothes and things every where.
The next were 2 under teen boys with an older brother ... tidier than some adults we have had. Polite, and if not for the Mexican tummy they were having the younger boys tried every thing, well that they could if they didn't run from the breakfast table. Only thing was the smell that they left behind. Puberty I was told. Smell gone, very nice family.
Next one are arriving in September I think. The booking is all one group thankfully and all 4 rooms :) but they are bringing three kids, oldest being 3. Had had kids, a long time since mine were that age. We will firm things up more when the date gets closer as to what they "think" we will be supplying for breakfast.
We do not have a kid friendly environment. This was explained. It was suggested that we pick up a few items like some type of seat and sleeping thingy. We mentioned we are not set up for kids, we have an OPEN POOL (Mexican law allows open pools and besides, we all live behind huge rock walls). She said she still wanted to come. I personally am a wee bit worried about the open pool, and not being able to control the critters (spiders, scorpions, etc). She wants to come and stay with us ... oh ... and if it warrants, she too will post for us on Trip Advisor. I hope she isn't the person she is making herself sound to be like when she and her troop finaly do arrive.
I will be able to say that we will not be purchasing any special equipment for children. This will be the testers before we add to our rules .. no children under the age of ??
We want the bookings, but at what price? They are all coming for an event (a wedding I believe) and should hopefully all be away during the days. This will work out and all will be fine. I will be on pins and needles while those kids are on the property, I am also sure that our Chi's (Chihuahua's) will find themselves inside the house most of the time and away from tiny hands..
We had made an exception for children, allowing a two and six year old with a family who booked the whole inn. They were problems right from the beginning, showing up with 16 people when they booked 14. This was before we were able to cite the fire code to limit the number to 12. What a mistake it was for us! The adults allowed those kids to rum rampant through the house, including 30 minutes of a ball rolling down the stairs into the front hallway. We put a stop to that activitiy, finally.
That was the last time we allowed young children even with a group. We take them over 12, and only one to a room, and not on weekends or times when we are likely to be full because of the 12-guest limit.
I am with you on this one. Make an exception and they take a mile!!! We did once..and NEVER again. The rest of you can deal with kids..not us.

We have had 3 lots of children so far ... first set of 3 (2 almost teen girls and one 8 ish year old boy) alone in one room. There was clothes and things every where.
The next were 2 under teen boys with an older brother ... tidier than some adults we have had. Polite, and if not for the Mexican tummy they were having the younger boys tried every thing, well that they could if they didn't run from the breakfast table. Only thing was the smell that they left behind. Puberty I was told. Smell gone, very nice family.
Next one are arriving in September I think. The booking is all one group thankfully and all 4 rooms :) but they are bringing three kids, oldest being 3. Had had kids, a long time since mine were that age. We will firm things up more when the date gets closer as to what they "think" we will be supplying for breakfast.
We do not have a kid friendly environment. This was explained. It was suggested that we pick up a few items like some type of seat and sleeping thingy. We mentioned we are not set up for kids, we have an OPEN POOL (Mexican law allows open pools and besides, we all live behind huge rock walls). She said she still wanted to come. I personally am a wee bit worried about the open pool, and not being able to control the critters (spiders, scorpions, etc). She wants to come and stay with us ... oh ... and if it warrants, she too will post for us on Trip Advisor. I hope she isn't the person she is making herself sound to be like when she and her troop finaly do arrive.
I will be able to say that we will not be purchasing any special equipment for children. This will be the testers before we add to our rules .. no children under the age of ??
We want the bookings, but at what price? They are all coming for an event (a wedding I believe) and should hopefully all be away during the days. This will work out and all will be fine. I will be on pins and needles while those kids are on the property, I am also sure that our Chi's (Chihuahua's) will find themselves inside the house most of the time and away from tiny hands..
We had made an exception for children, allowing a two and six year old with a family who booked the whole inn. They were problems right from the beginning, showing up with 16 people when they booked 14. This was before we were able to cite the fire code to limit the number to 12. What a mistake it was for us! The adults allowed those kids to rum rampant through the house, including 30 minutes of a ball rolling down the stairs into the front hallway. We put a stop to that activitiy, finally.
That was the last time we allowed young children even with a group. We take them over 12, and only one to a room, and not on weekends or times when we are likely to be full because of the 12-guest limit.
I am with you on this one. Make an exception and they take a mile!!! We did once..and NEVER again. The rest of you can deal with kids..not us.
I am not sure about you, but when we told her we do not take children as we are not a safe environment for them, but as she was aware we would make this exception for her.
When she proceeded to "tell" us the equipment we would to make their stay comfortable, we suggested she bring what she needed/wanted.
We also said she could get a feel for the property from TA comments that were posted about our property. She said she would also post one after her trip if we were worthy.
I am not looking forward to her arrival. Maybe I am just anticipating a difficult person and she will turn out to be as nice as pie.
All our rooms open onto the terrace, which is off the garden and pool. Maybe I am just not looking forward to having toddlers running around. Since we are not charging extra for them, I don't feel like we should be buying special groceries either (like cherios). Oh listen to me, I am already annoyed at them and they haven't even arrived. I believe this will be the last time we will feel pressured into taking people. After all they are only here for 2 nights, how bad can it be?

I am not sure about you, but when we told her we do not take children as we are not a safe environment for them, but as she was aware we would make this exception for her.
When she proceeded to "tell" us the equipment we would to make their stay comfortable, we suggested she bring what she needed/wanted.
We also said she could get a feel for the property from TA comments that were posted about our property. She said she would also post one after her trip if we were worthy.
I am not looking forward to her arrival. Maybe I am just anticipating a difficult person and she will turn out to be as nice as pie.
All our rooms open onto the terrace, which is off the garden and pool. Maybe I am just not looking forward to having toddlers running around. Since we are not charging extra for them, I don't feel like we should be buying special groceries either (like cherios). Oh listen to me, I am already annoyed at them and they haven't even arrived. I believe this will be the last time we will feel pressured into taking people. After all they are only here for 2 nights, how bad can it be?
THAT depends on the parents as much as the kids! It could be a very pleasant 2 days or it could be your worst nightmare and longest 2 days of our life. If like many people, she did not HEAR you (on purpose) when you told her you did not have child equipment and arrives with none.
Personally, if I had a pool and teh rooms opened to the pool area, I would "camp out" poolside the entire time they were in-house with those kids. If one of them gets out and drowns - you, not the stupid parent, will be the one held to account. Do not mean to scare you totally, just enough to keep you on guard and on edge because if you are on edge, you will be safer.

THAT depends on the parents as much as the kids! It could be a very pleasant 2 days or it could be your worst nightmare and longest 2 days of our life. If like many people, she did not HEAR you (on purpose) when you told her you did not have child equipment and arrives with none.
Personally, if I had a pool and teh rooms opened to the pool area, I would "camp out" poolside the entire time they were in-house with those kids. If one of them gets out and drowns - you, not the stupid parent, will be the one held to account. Do not mean to scare you totally, just enough to keep you on guard and on edge because if you are on edge, you will be safer.
The pool is our biggest concern. The property layout was explained to her. The pool, explained a few times. It is an open pool, not fenced.
She is bringing with her the kids stuff, the seats, the beds/cots or what ever ... she is bringing them in part to show us what we need to buy. She is sad in her thinking that we are NOT buying things to make kids comfortable. We don't really want them, we just buckled under pressure.
Oh (doh) we gave her a good discount as well. Sigh. It is only for 2 nights. Hoping they arrive late the first night. Gone to the wedding all day and heading early for the airport the next.

The pool is our biggest concern. The property layout was explained to her. The pool, explained a few times. It is an open pool, not fenced.
She is bringing with her the kids stuff, the seats, the beds/cots or what ever ... she is bringing them in part to show us what we need to buy. She is sad in her thinking that we are NOT buying things to make kids comfortable. We don't really want them, we just buckled under pressure.
Oh (doh) we gave her a good discount as well. Sigh. It is only for 2 nights. Hoping they arrive late the first night. Gone to the wedding all day and heading early for the airport the next.
I hope they are an easy time for you. And I do not blame you in the least for a NO kids policy. Our set-ups and locales determine what we can and cannot (will and will not) do. MY biggest worry with kids is my staircase. The railing is low (by today's standards way too low) and teh stairs are steep. I bunged me up bad enough by missing the bottom stair once!
The ONLY reason I have kid stuff here is because man in town gave me HIS wooden high chair when I said I was looking for a doll high chair and then I bought a porta-crib for my grandson's first visit. It will come in handy this time for his youngest sister.
Good luck.

Cathy said:
I'm just rereading this...she wil post a review if you are 'worthy'? What kind of tactic is that? You've already told her you don't have the gear she says she needs, what do you think the review will be like if you don't have it when she arrives, after she specifically gave you a list?
Where do your guests come from? Would they be driving? She's not going to haul all that crap on a plane, not with airlines expecting you to pay per piece of baggage.
We don't have baby gear. We say it again and again- on the website, in our confirmation, when we speak to the guests.
ONCE, we had a couple coming in from Japan, and rather than have a baby sleep in a bed, we borrowed a pack n play. They were amazingly thankful. Anyone who is driving here would have to bring their own stuff.
Hubs is aways saying we should buy a pack n play and a highchair. I refuse. He thinks we'll get sued if a baby is injured because we didn't have that stuff. I think parents should provide their own gear as I am so totally old-fashioned and out of the loop, I'd get something that was 'wrong'.

Cathy said:
I'm just rereading this...she wil post a review if you are 'worthy'? What kind of tactic is that? You've already told her you don't have the gear she says she needs, what do you think the review will be like if you don't have it when she arrives, after she specifically gave you a list?
Where do your guests come from? Would they be driving? She's not going to haul all that crap on a plane, not with airlines expecting you to pay per piece of baggage.
We don't have baby gear. We say it again and again- on the website, in our confirmation, when we speak to the guests.
ONCE, we had a couple coming in from Japan, and rather than have a baby sleep in a bed, we borrowed a pack n play. They were amazingly thankful. Anyone who is driving here would have to bring their own stuff.
Hubs is aways saying we should buy a pack n play and a highchair. I refuse. He thinks we'll get sued if a baby is injured because we didn't have that stuff. I think parents should provide their own gear as I am so totally old-fashioned and out of the loop, I'd get something that was 'wrong'.
I think you're more likely to get sued if you provide the stuff and it's involved in an incident - kid falls over in highchair, bangs its head on the pack 'n' play. If they bring their own they are at least responsible for that equipment's safety.
I don't think I'd do it with a pool. Our worst experience with kids was with our own family less than two months after we bought the inn - DH's lazy parent-niece and her demon children broke something within 1/2 hour of entry into the Inn. Resolved all our questions about children here and then we just had to work through the previous owner's reservations - she didn't care and took kids.

I've only had one email inquiry from someone with younger kids. Our website says children 12 & older & we have max occupancy in each guest accommodation which is VERY clear on our site, AND the policy says an adult must be in the room with them. I didn't hear back after I emailed the person who was asking...I just explained that we aren't set up for young children due to the historic nature of our homes, not childproof, no child equipment, no rollaways, max occupancy for safety, etc. We had a guest here for a week & she wanted her husband and 2 kids to stay with us when they came back in for an event. The husband was a smart man & had booked a place with a pool for the kids :) I don't know what she was thinking because she knew that we weren't set up for kids after being here a week! I'd like to think that she enjoyed it so much that she wanted to show her family what it was all about here :)
I would be really concerned with your open pool & insist that the parents are with those kids right there with them in the pool 100% of the time. That's totally reasonable imvvho.
OK...having said that...we just had our first children here for one night last night. A friend of mine's daughter & 2 girls for a super cheap rate. They were our only guests & in our cottage next door. The kids had jelly sandwiches, chocolate milk, bacon, & watermelon & banana for breakfast. I literally winged it because I had no clue what they would eat as one of the little girls has lots of allergies. I cooked up the bacon because I knew that they would eat that & cooked eggs to order for their mom with toast. They were happy but they were very BUSY! Their mom was having a fit because they were playing our piano & I had to keep telling her that it didn't bother me. Uh...it kinda did :)

Cathy, I think I'd look into a waiver for her to sign, since you've already made it clear you are not set up for children and she doesn't seem to "get it". State, in writing, exactly what you've already told her and that she is 100% of the time responsible for her own children. Then ask her to sign it. If she's booked a little ahead, email it to her and explain that signing it is necessary because your insurance requires it.
A waiver won't always hold up in court, but sometimes having the other party sign a waiver makes them a little more aware of your situation.

Pianos - those are the things kids are drawn to. (I had to hold back wanting to open it up and mess around on it).
wink_smile.gif

We had a desperate call the other night...Dad and five very young kids wanted ONE ROOM. My husband who usually will forge a plan for any person or refund any person or bend in any direction when confronted on the phone - actually told him no. I heard him ask about another B&B and DH said "I have no idea what their policies are Sir, but Bed and Breakfasts are not environments suitable for small kids."

PS Speaking of DH the rat.
He went INTO the grocey store a few weeks ago because he was in the vehicle and got roped into it.
I found some great flowers on sale for all the guest rooms. I checked out and paid and the clerk put the flowers in the top of the basket/buggy/cart. Then he in a wide demonstrative wave of attention reaches outward toward me and says "Here ya go honey, these are for you!"
All the women smiled at me and thought gee how lucky she is.
LIES!!
I bought the dang flowers, like I always do. We all know men only buy them if they are in trouble!
He laughed ALL THE WAY HOME.

Cathy, I think I'd look into a waiver for her to sign, since you've already made it clear you are not set up for children and she doesn't seem to "get it". State, in writing, exactly what you've already told her and that she is 100% of the time responsible for her own children. Then ask her to sign it. If she's booked a little ahead, email it to her and explain that signing it is necessary because your insurance requires it.
A waiver won't always hold up in court, but sometimes having the other party sign a waiver makes them a little more aware of your situation..
The nice thing about living in Mexico ... is the court and law system here. ;)
She has promised that watching her kids will NOT be a problem. I can assure you that we will also be watching her children when they are on the property. They are 8 adults in total, 2 couples have the 3 kids. One is not mobile.
She is bringing her own equipment, flying, as we told her we will not be getting that for her.
We will remain hopeful that we will be worthy her.

PS Speaking of DH the rat.
He went INTO the grocey store a few weeks ago because he was in the vehicle and got roped into it.
I found some great flowers on sale for all the guest rooms. I checked out and paid and the clerk put the flowers in the top of the basket/buggy/cart. Then he in a wide demonstrative wave of attention reaches outward toward me and says "Here ya go honey, these are for you!"
All the women smiled at me and thought gee how lucky she is.
LIES!!
I bought the dang flowers, like I always do. We all know men only buy them if they are in trouble!
He laughed ALL THE WAY HOME..
Hahaha! I can picture him doing that. You have to admit that it's a little bit cute ;-)

I've already learned this lesson and the more I read here from the rest of you, the more I feel that I am not alone with my no kids policy. I once had a couple onboard with three children, a six year old, a three year old, and an infant still nursing. That was my day from hell.
I should have had a clue before we ever left the dock. While warming the engines, the toddler climbed up on the helm seat and put the running boat in gear. The parents were right there but were not paying attention. I had informed them that the helm was strictly off limits and to watch the kids. I grabbed the gear and put it back in neutral and snatched the little boy away. My reward...the little brat climbed up on a chair to get more eye level with me and screamed in my face, "I HATE YOU" to which I responded, "I HATE YOU, TOO." Regrettably, that just came flying out of my mouth in front of everyone, but that little devil could have killed someone. The parents never reprimanded him for his actions.
Once out at anchor, the father and his friend went off on the two jet skis, leaving me alone with the mother and three kids. The mother mostly sat around letting her little darlings do as they please. All the six year old wanted to do was jump on the bed and open and close (slam) the drawers in one of the cabins. The toddler wanted to do what ever he pleased and when you told him NO, he would have a screaming fit.
I came out of the galley to find this toddler out on the aft deck, sitting, alone, on the ladder leading down to the swimplatform at the water level, with no life vest. I had a FIT over that. The mom, who was inside breastfeeding the infant, was completely unconcerned. I made the little boy go back inside where his mother was (I do NOT babysit), and of course, that started a screaming fit. Just as all of that was happening, one of the jet ski riders came back with news that they had wrecked both jet skis and that one of them needed to be towed back. They ran into EACH OTHER.
Now, I have a strict policy...no kids and we got rid of the jet skis. I do not even want anyone thinking of asking to use the jet skis. My insurance was cancelled over this accident.
That was my day from hell that led me to make the policies that I have made, and I can tell you without a doubt that I will not make an exception to that rule.

A jet ski just blew up at our nearby lake this weekend. Gas leak or something. Spontaneous combustion they called it, as it was not even turned on. Minor Injury only.
Hey I wanted to say, as a person who has well behaved kids(they better be or else) then I come on here and warn everyone about monstrous kids... If you don't know me you don't know about my sister with the four terrors. Yes there is a Dad in their life, right there every night, at the table. Two parents, no control.
She can look you in the eyes and smile as the kids are literally burning the house down with her in it! She has the worst behaved kids I have ever met IN THE WORLD.
When the parents are not around they will behave somewhat. To this day -- oldest are 11 and 10, they have never replied to me when spoken to, never looked at me when spoken to and never obeyed anything I have ever said. (This is when they BEHAVE!) Mykids if they do not reply to an adult who is speaking to them will get worn out. (A southern saying you can look up if you need to). I have kids are shy around others and they LOOK and REPLY to the person speaking to them.
If the PARENTS are around they are rotten to the core. At anyone's home. 100% the parents fault. They have zero boundaries and zero discipline and zero self control. They are greedy little monsters. Mean, nasty, cruel, selfish horrible children. (Again, I put 100% blame on the parenting - or lack thereof).
So for knowing them - example one little boy accidentally while running around inside the house - slams into glass door as he thought it was open, Mom goes to hold him then other little boy sees attention he is getting and runs head first into the glass at top speed to get attention too. Blood everywhere. True story. This is a minute by minute chaotic occurrence. It never stops this madness. Blood spurting is normal for this family.
THIS IS MY SISTER! LOCK THE DOORS AND TURN OFF THE LIGHTS!

I'd lock my doors, turn off the lights, and hide too! I never had kids and never will.
"Spontaneous combustion"....I assume that's followed by "instantaneous disassembly." I Think this means the darn thing blew up and its guts landed all over the place!

I'd lock my doors, turn off the lights, and hide too! I never had kids and never will.
"Spontaneous combustion"....I assume that's followed by "instantaneous disassembly." I Think this means the darn thing blew up and its guts landed all over the place!.
Sanctuary in Miami said:
"Spontaneous combustion"....I assume that's followed by "instantaneous disassembly." I Think this means the darn thing blew up and its guts landed all over the place!
Yes and fortunately noone was right there on it or close enough for serious injury.

Pianos - those are the things kids are drawn to. (I had to hold back wanting to open it up and mess around on it).
wink_smile.gif

We had a desperate call the other night...Dad and five very young kids wanted ONE ROOM. My husband who usually will forge a plan for any person or refund any person or bend in any direction when confronted on the phone - actually told him no. I heard him ask about another B&B and DH said "I have no idea what their policies are Sir, but Bed and Breakfasts are not environments suitable for small kids.".
We had a couple of older children this weekend who were just your average rowdy kids.. non running up and down the stairs but I could hear them wrestling in their room.. nothing broken, just could hear their thumping. Fortunately they were the only guests so it didn't disturb anyone other than me.
The piano... I must lock the piano so it can't be messed with... seems that pianos are kid magnets! Ours is a 1920's upright still with all the original ivory keys.

We had three kids last night... all teens, all wonderful. But then, they were my best friends kids and held to the same high standard as we hold ours.
You can fly with a pack and play... I've done it. I flew alone with two-month-old twins and brought stroller, car seats, baby carriers, pack-and-play, the works. When I travel I appreciate when there's gear, but I don't count on it.
And, like JBJ, my kids will be good or get worn out, but I've seen far too many that don't/won't/and desperately need it! Of course, if you don't start when they're two then by the time they're five it's probably too late...
=)
Kk.

We had three kids last night... all teens, all wonderful. But then, they were my best friends kids and held to the same high standard as we hold ours.
You can fly with a pack and play... I've done it. I flew alone with two-month-old twins and brought stroller, car seats, baby carriers, pack-and-play, the works. When I travel I appreciate when there's gear, but I don't count on it.
And, like JBJ, my kids will be good or get worn out, but I've seen far too many that don't/won't/and desperately need it! Of course, if you don't start when they're two then by the time they're five it's probably too late...
=)
Kk..
YellowSocks said:
Of course, if you don't start when they're two then by the time they're five it's probably too late...
I started before that. By tone of voice, babies learn before anyone understands. I used a praise voice when appropriate - I never did the "isn't that cute" routine for a behavior that would not be appropriate later. My son knew as he got older that bad behavior had consequences (and thankfully, that rarely included having to "get his attention"). Kids want limits - it proves you care about them when you take the time and energy to set limits and stick to them. No limits = don't give a flip or total lazy.

Back