All Those Towels!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrh

Reaction score
Our linen closets are getting pilfered for extra towels far too often! Right now it's not possible to lock them so we'll try the sign posting route. Something along the lines of being green and using your towels more than once. We are looking for some suggestions on clever towel use signs other inn keepers may be using with good results. (If that's possible...)
Thanks in advance! r

A suggestion...if you notice guests need more towels, give them more towels.

rrh - A couple of questions for ya! Are they needing more than what you provide on the rack each day? Or is it that they prefer fresh towels each day and stock up?
If they just want more in quantity, I would consider adding an additional towel or two to your bathrooms. It will save the rummaging and you will have a better track of your towels.
If it is the 'green' issue and would like guests to consider using the towels for a second day...Here is a suggestion:
"Protecting Mother Earth"
At X B&B we take efforts to reduce water consumption and adding to waste water. If you choose to use your towels for an additional day, please hang. To request fresh, please place soiled towels on the floor. Thank you.
I have seen signs in very high end hotels going as far as stating stats of how much water can be saved by doing this. As well as stating what the chemicals do to the land etc. I think this is going too far, but sometimes a little guilt trip works.

i don't know where you are located but i have a thought ...
i was on the coast in maine. i had the little signs about conserving water, etc., in all bathrooms.
but i was aware that, so often the air was damp and the towels were not drying out sufficiently between uses. which meant that conservation minded guests were often left with cold, damp towels when they went to use them again. not pleasant.
i installed peg boards with spaces between to allow for more space for drying and also additional towel bars where possible ... it's a difficult problem. but i have to agree with bree ... if a lot of guests are helping themselves to more towels, more are needed in the guestrooms.
again, i don't know your setup. my place was fairly casual so i kept a big basket of spare towels, rolled up pretty, on buffet type cabinets in the hallways so they could help themselves to more.

Why is it not possible to lock your linen closets? That is one thing I keep locked is the linen and supply closests upstairs, it makes it so much easier. I make sure the rooms have enough towels and since I have 4 rooms I just ask the guests if they want new towels or if they want to reuse them. I usually do this after breakfast.

How many towels do you give them, are you not changing them out for the next day? Just wondering what your thoughts are on WHY they are taking them? Can you put a little sign that says "Innkeepers only" and tape it to the unit?
You can't force "green" on people, they pay to stay with us. You can't tell them to reuse their towels, if they want dry towels, they need dry towels. A B&B is not green. If it were we would not do what we do, we would have a one flush a day rule, line dry everything and put guests in tents. If you call yourself "green" guests better know in advance (i website and confirmation) they are required to reuse damp towels. You can't force that idiology on people.

Our linen closets are getting pilfered for extra towels far too often!
BTW this is my method of quote so I do not copy extra words.
I ask my guests if they need maid service, that I do not enter their "home" without permission. Most say they are fine. BUT I have at least 4 or 5 sets of towels on the shelf in the passage between room and ensuite bath in addition to the 2 sets on the towel bars and a large market basket of rolled up towels of all sizes on the washstand in the shared barh in addition to the 3 sets hanging on the washstand towel bar. I keep enough towels handy for any Mrs. MyState beauty pagaent candidate to be happy with the supply (had experience years ago with a Mrs. Illinois candidate who wanted More towels - before she even set foot in the room!).

We put a "Garvey House Suggestions" framed in every room, one is asking weather they would want "maid service" every morning to let us know at breakfast, then we do the "green" thing, I always include two sets of towels if they are staying three days, if they should need more to let us know. We also include towels for our hot tub which is outside and ask that they use the "hot tub towels" located above the dryer if they choose to go to the hot tub. This saves our room towels from outside stains---they don't always use those, but what can you do!
We lock our linen closet, this would be easy to do to save you so much laundry.

This is my 18th year in business and my linen closets are not locked. Only once in all this time has someone taken a towel out of the closet. I guess I'm lucky. I keep thinking I should get the magnetic locks because I do hear them opening the cupboards and it really ticks me off. I think someone on here mentioned the magnetic locks???

Well today someone took the wash cloths from their room home with them. I am not sure why they would take wet washcloths but they were no where to be found in the room or anywhere else.

I ask my guests if they need maid service, that I do not enter their "home" without permission. Most say they are fine. BUT I have at least 4 or 5 sets of towels on the shelf in the passage between room and ensuite bath in addition to the 2 sets on the towel bars and a large market basket of rolled up towels of all sizes on the washstand in the shared barh in addition to the 3 sets hanging on the washstand towel bar. I keep enough towels handy for any Mrs. MyState beauty pagaent candidate to be happy with the supply (had experience years ago with a Mrs. Illinois candidate who wanted More towels - before she even set foot in the room!)..
gillumhouse said:
I ask my guests if they need maid service, that I do not enter their "home" without permission. Most say they are fine. BUT I have at least 4 or 5 sets of towels on the shelf in the passage between room and ensuite bath in addition to the 2 sets on the towel bars and a large market basket of rolled up towels of all sizes on the washstand in the shared barh in addition to the 3 sets hanging on the washstand towel bar. I keep enough towels handy for any Mrs. MyState beauty pagaent candidate to be happy with the supply (had experience years ago with a Mrs. Illinois candidate who wanted More towels - before she even set foot in the room!).
You ask your guests if they need maid service? Don't you go in the rooms to make the beds, clean the bathroom, etc? Do some guests not want their beds made or things tidied up?

I ask my guests if they need maid service, that I do not enter their "home" without permission. Most say they are fine. BUT I have at least 4 or 5 sets of towels on the shelf in the passage between room and ensuite bath in addition to the 2 sets on the towel bars and a large market basket of rolled up towels of all sizes on the washstand in the shared barh in addition to the 3 sets hanging on the washstand towel bar. I keep enough towels handy for any Mrs. MyState beauty pagaent candidate to be happy with the supply (had experience years ago with a Mrs. Illinois candidate who wanted More towels - before she even set foot in the room!)..
gillumhouse said:
You ask your guests if they need maid service? Don't you go in the rooms to make the beds, clean the bathroom, etc? Do some guests not want their beds made or things tidied up?
Don't you go in the rooms to make the beds, clean the bathroom, etc?
If requested. I explain that although many innkeepers "fluff" the rooms, I look at that room as being their home while they are here and I do not enter someone's "home" without permission. Only one bathroom is ensuite and most guests have told me they appreciate not having someone come in - that is one thing they dislike at hotels they tell me. If they are here for several days, I will poke my head in the door to check the wastebasket but that is all unless asked. The shared bath gets cleaned several times a day if it is being shared - I will often rent it as a private bath and will not rent the other room (private bath rate of course) - otherwise once afer the guests go out. I have found that nine times out of ten they guests have already made the bed anyway (if I forget to ask, I check).

gillumhouse said:
If requested. I explain that although many innkeepers "fluff" the rooms, I look at that room as being their home while they are here and I do not enter someone's "home" without permission. Only one bathroom is ensuite and most guests have told me they appreciate not having someone come in - that is one thing they dislike at hotels they tell me. If they are here for several days, I will poke my head in the door to check the wastebasket but that is all unless asked. The shared bath gets cleaned several times a day if it is being shared - I will often rent it as a private bath and will not rent the other room (private bath rate of course) - otherwise once afer the guests go out. I have found that nine times out of ten they guests have already made the bed anyway (if I forget to ask, I check).
gillumhouse said:
I think I'm going to try that. Many of my guests make their beds if they are staying for more than one day, and I hate disrupting or moving their things that are laying on the bed to remake it. I've never even considered asking them whether they want me to clean the room or not. The same is true of the bathrooms. I just go in and clean them after they step out for the day. Maybe they would prefer to have their things left untouched, especially if it's just for a weekend. Thanks for the tip.

This is my 18th year in business and my linen closets are not locked. Only once in all this time has someone taken a towel out of the closet. I guess I'm lucky. I keep thinking I should get the magnetic locks because I do hear them opening the cupboards and it really ticks me off. I think someone on here mentioned the magnetic locks???.
ginocat said:
This is my 18th year in business and my linen closets are not locked. Only once in all this time has someone taken a towel out of the closet. I guess I'm lucky. I keep thinking I should get the magnetic locks because I do hear them opening the cupboards and it really ticks me off. I think someone on here mentioned the magnetic locks???
Of course it's me who needed the magnetic kiddie locks in the kitchen...
They would be a good solution for locking the linen cupboards. No external hardware needed, keeps everything looking nice and tidy and NOT like you're trying to keep the guests out. But it does keep them out!

How many towels of each type do you provide in each guest bath?
How often do you replace the towels with fresh ones?
Curious minds want to know... :)
I have one linen closet that guests can get into & I've only had it pilfered once. The others aren't accessible to guests I have 4 bath towels, a bath mat, 2 hand towels, 2 wash clothes and a face washing cloth for 2 people. Thick, lovely towels usually don't dry here so even though I added my "green sign" in the bathrooms (text below), I usually change them out daily.

"Your Choice Makes a Difference....
With the help of our guests, we can do our small part to help with the drought situation in (our State) , to conserve energy, and reduce detergent use. Your fresh sheets are changed after the third night of your stay, or as needed. If you require any additional linen services, please let us know.
Please leave towels in the shower or tub if you would like them changed. If you choose to use towels again, please hang them up.
Thank you for helping the environment!"
I tell you what that green card has achieved for me, all the guests are hanging their towels up instead of leaving them laying around. lol!

Have been too busy with the towel laundry to answer all these questions but hope to catch up soon.

Have been too busy with the towel laundry to answer all these questions but hope to catch up soon..
rrh said:
Have been too busy with the towel laundry to answer all these questions but hope to catch up soon.
Another thing to think about when you've caught up on the laundry (
wink_smile.gif
) is what are your guests there to do? Are they hiking/biking during the day? They will definitely take more than one shower/day in that case.

Our suites are stocked with more towels than a family of 5 can use in a week. Big towels on a 3 tier rack, a towel and a bath mat by the walk-in shower, and a large basket of white towels of all sizes neatly placed near the bathroom entrance.
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day.

Our suites are stocked with more towels than a family of 5 can use in a week. Big towels on a 3 tier rack, a towel and a bath mat by the walk-in shower, and a large basket of white towels of all sizes neatly placed near the bathroom entrance.
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day..
knkbnb said:
What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day.
Our little family of 5 used 19 in one day which partially led to this question...

What is very interesting is that with so many towels. people seem to choose their favorite and stay with it. We treat washclothes as if they will be lucky to survive two or three stays. We buy them by the boatload at under 50 cents each and if they don't come clean, they become a cleaning rag. We provide extra in the room and it seems guest sense that they would be the towel of choice if you were wiping tar off your feet- which saves our bigger towels to see another day..
knkbnb said:
Our little family of 5 used 19 in one day which partially led to this question...
rrh said:
knkbnb said:
Far be it from me to be the towel police, but that is TOO much!

Back