Am I Overreacting?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hiddencove - I can understand your heartache in reading comments about the website you have worked so hard to create for a business you love. I know the comments that were posted seemed to you to be mean spirited but in acuality these people have provided you with an unrequested favor. Having just placed the site on the web, you have no idea how hard it is to have your site become established and visible to the search engines and without the proper language (tech language), these search engines will not answer your call to be noticed.
The knowledgeable website builders on this forum are here providing you with very useful 'free' advise. They are not here to gain your business but to help you understand ways to get the web business (from your site) that you want! As someone else pointed out, even if someone states they 'saw your website' it does not mean they saw YOUR individual site.
We have a very prominent website for our area. When I ask (and I always ask) where did they find us...most will say 'we are (or did) looking at your website', yet when they start asking about our rooms (do they have this or that) and I say well since you have my site open, go to my rooms page...and I get... 'WHERE is that?', then it is confirmed they are not on my site but on one of my directory listings.
Something that will also be helpful is a website traffic tracker. This will provide you with information of where the traffic to your site is coming from. If you have purchased a link membership on the directories you list with, this tracker will tell you just how many visitors found you on that directory then clicked on your link. This is a helpful tool to determine which directories are 'working' for you at time of renewal.
A lot of information about website help (as well as plenty other topics) can be found on this forum by using the search feature on this site. This forum is VERY helpful and I hope you will use the knowledge here to help you. I hope you continue to add to the conversations on this forum, - but if you are unsure just skim through old topics for awhile.

hiddencove said:
Actually, I suggest you go to WIX.com and try this web design site for yourself. It used to be hard for search engines to index flash sites. Wix.com has taken care of that. My site can and will be read by the search engines.
In the spirit of this industry I am going to take time out of my day to show you the shortcomings of your wonderfully free website.
So first lets see what the search engines actually see when they index your website
search engine spider said:
Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast on Devil apos s Lake Handicapped Accessible About Us Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast is located in Neotsu on the north end of Devil apos s Lake in Lincoln City, Oregon. We are one hour west of Salem on the central Oregon coast right across Hwy from Chinook Winds Golf Resort. Devil apos s Lake is an ancient lake , blocks from the Pacific, with the world apos s shortest river, connecting the lake to the ocean. Hiway is between the lake and the Pacific. Come for a visit. Enjoy a homecooked breakfast. Bring your fishing pole or rent a boat across the lake and tie up to our dock. Contact Links gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt Hidden Cove Bed amp Breakfast About Us gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce Country Life lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia Contact Us Hing elit. Fusce tempor arcu ac urn. Fusce congue eleifend mi. Pellentesque elementum rhoncus sed, gravida sit amet, nulla. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean condimentum, odio quis pharetra dignissim, diam nisl dignissim diam, eu interdum magna erat sit amet felis. Etiam non felis at urna tempus luctus. In ullamcorper nisl congue elit. In convallis nibh vitae justo. Quisque ac lectus vitae sem consequat sagittis. Donec turpis nisi, feugiat sollicitudin, fermentum vitae, volutpat sed, ligula.
I'm not sure why you think it would be advantageous to have more Esperanto (or is that Latin) than English.

What if someone had Flash disabled, what would they see? (People disable it because it blocks many of the most intrusive ads.)
hiddencove2.gif

That's not very helpful or informative text.

What if a person has Javascript disabled?
hiddencove1.gif

Hmmm how does this company think people are going to be able to read that. (Yes that is the actual size it comes up when javascript is disabled).

Then there is the issue that you really only have one page with a site like that.
Want to send them to your home page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
want to send them to your directions page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
how about sending them to the Lake Level Unit page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
From a potential guest point of view, you can't send them to specific info. From a search engine point of view (even if you got rid of the nonsense latin) there is only one page of limited content to spider. You are fishing with a a single bare hook while everyone else that has a non-wix website is fishing with a baited hook for each page. I'm sure a kid with a bare hook can catch a fish or two as well...but if you are a serious angler you aren't going to go to a fishing forum and proclaim how great a bare hook is are you?
When I say abandon the work you have done on the website so far, I am not saying it to be mean spirited. I am not doing it to express my opinion. I am doing it to help you avoid a huge mistake that you will not realize is a mistake for a long time.
Muirford's point about this forum showing up for your name higher than your own site is a harbinger of things to come if you stay with your current development choice..
Thank you. One thing for sure is I am not a website person. I will attempt to contact someone in my area who knows what they are doing. The problem is: How do I know they know what they are doing? Many say they are website designers, but they really are not that capable. What is your advice in hiring a web designer? I spent $1500 on another site that never ever came up. That site was designed by a supposed web designer who touted himself as an expert. What is your suggestion?

hiddencove said:
Actually, I suggest you go to WIX.com and try this web design site for yourself. It used to be hard for search engines to index flash sites. Wix.com has taken care of that. My site can and will be read by the search engines.
In the spirit of this industry I am going to take time out of my day to show you the shortcomings of your wonderfully free website.
So first lets see what the search engines actually see when they index your website
Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast on Devil apos s Lake Handicapped Accessible About Us Hidden Cove Bed and Breakfast is located in Neotsu on the north end of Devil apos s Lake in Lincoln City, Oregon. We are one hour west of Salem on the central Oregon coast right across Hwy from Chinook Winds Golf Resort. Devil apos s Lake is an ancient lake , blocks from the Pacific, with the world apos s shortest river, connecting the lake to the ocean. Hiway is between the lake and the Pacific. Come for a visit. Enjoy a homecooked breakfast. Bring your fishing pole or rent a boat across the lake and tie up to our dock. Contact Links gt gt gt gt gt gt gt gt Hidden Cove Bed amp Breakfast About Us gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce gt gt Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce Country Life lit Fusce justo metus tempus ut aliquet eu blandit vel magna Fusce nec orci eget tellus sodales vehicula Maecenas condimentum lectus vel eros Donec id felis et metus lacinia gokjwoe sdfde fd erisdw kso nec doni. Donec id felis et metus lacini id felis et metus lacinia Contact Us Hing elit. Fusce tempor arcu ac urn. Fusce congue eleifend mi. Pellentesque elementum rhoncus sed, gravida sit amet, nulla. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Aenean condimentum, odio quis pharetra dignissim, diam nisl dignissim diam, eu interdum magna erat sit amet felis. Etiam non felis at urna tempus luctus. In ullamcorper nisl congue elit. In convallis nibh vitae justo. Quisque ac lectus vitae sem consequat sagittis. Donec turpis nisi, feugiat sollicitudin, fermentum vitae, volutpat sed, ligula.
I'm not sure why you think it would be advantageous to have more Esperanto (or is that Latin) than English.

What if someone had Flash disabled, what would they see? (People disable it because it blocks many of the most intrusive ads.)
hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

Hmmm how does this company think people are going to be able to read that. (Yes that is the actual size it comes up when javascript is disabled).

Then there is the issue that you really only have one page with a site like that.
want to send them to your directions page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
how about sending them to the Lake Level Unit page: http://www.hiddencovebedandbreakfast.com/
From a potential guest point of view, you can't send them to specific info. From a search engine point of view (even if you got rid of the nonsense latin) there is only one page of limited content to spider. You are fishing with a a single bare hook while everyone else that has a non-wix website is fishing with a baited hook for each page. I'm sure a kid with a bare hook can catch a fish or two as well...but if you are a serious angler you aren't going to go to a fishing forum and proclaim how great a bare hook is are you?
When I say abandon the work you have done on the website so far, I am not saying it to be mean spirited. I am not doing it to express my opinion. I am doing it to help you avoid a huge mistake that you will not realize is a mistake for a long time.
Muirford's point about this forum showing up for your name higher than your own site is a harbinger of things to come if you stay with your current development choice..
swirt said:
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet,
That would be Latin. That is the infamous text inserted into all sorts of word processing documents as placeholders for real text. In the Tuesday Next mystery series by Jasper Fforde, the book world characters and Tuesday's son speak Lorem ipsum sometimes.
Yes, my brain is full of completely trivial information...

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

Thank you. One thing for sure is I am not a website person. I will attempt to contact someone in my area who knows what they are doing. The problem is: How do I know they know what they are doing? Many say they are website designers, but they really are not that capable. What is your advice in hiring a web designer? I spent $1500 on another site that never ever came up. That site was designed by a supposed web designer who touted himself as an expert. What is your suggestion?
hiddencove said:
I would check websites in your area and see which ones you like and which come up well. At the bottom the site should indicate who was the creator. Beware of those who want to get too "fancy". There are many sites that I can't even find the phone number.
I would also only go with someone who will leave the spaces for you to go in and change the wording yourself. This would keep the price down, so you can change without having to have someone do it every time for $$. They simply leave a box in the area of the page design where you can go in and change the information as you need.
There are several designers on this chat board, but I don't know if they have the time to take new customers. I can recommend the former innkeeper and current web host and designer Jeremy where I have my website hosted. They are not fancy, but can do you a good site that will show up well, and since one is a former B&B owner, knows how we depend on our websites.
If you go to http://ew3d.com/services.htm that is their website. They are also usually at the PAII meetings and the Virginia B&B Assn meetings.
Riki

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

hiddencove said:
Huh? Have a look at their portfolio, do some searches in google on those websites. It is not a problem. It should be easy to go online and search and if they don't come up then RED FLAG.
We bounce them off each other here all the time. The advice here is free from those who design websites (and are not offering their services) so take it and run with it! I would and have.
regular_smile.gif

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

There are "industry" folks out there who do only B & B websites. Here is one example. Here is another.
Look at sites you like, usually there is a credit line somewhere. Check them out. Lots have their portfolios listed. When you say a "site never came up"..don't expect to see your NEW website show up in major search engines quickly..it just won't happen. If you go to SWIRTS..advice page. Read it all carefully. This gives you the basics so you can discuss intelligently with a potential web designer what you want.
You have to arm yourself with some knowledge before you proceed. THis is a MAJOR marketing piece and 90% of people will be looking on line for an/your inn.

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

hiddencove said:
The problem is: How do I know they know what they are doing? Many say they are website designers, but they really are not that capable. What is your advice in hiring a web designer?
You are right, there are many who claim to be capable and are not. In fact I think the incapable or half-assed outnumber the capable by a large margin...but my standards are higher than most.
My suggestion is to do your homework first. Read this collection of Bed and Breakfast Website Advice. I end nearly every page with info on how to spot a designer that should be avoided. It is not easy. I realize it is a lot to take in. Generally if they are talking technobable and can't/won't explain some specifics to you in a way you can understand, then they should be avoided.
As JBJ said, look at their portfolio and follow it with some searching that you would expect the sites in their portfolio should show up for.

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

hiddencove said:
I would check websites in your area and see which ones you like and which come up well. At the bottom the site should indicate who was the creator. Beware of those who want to get too "fancy". There are many sites that I can't even find the phone number.
I would also only go with someone who will leave the spaces for you to go in and change the wording yourself. This would keep the price down, so you can change without having to have someone do it every time for $$. They simply leave a box in the area of the page design where you can go in and change the information as you need.
There are several designers on this chat board, but I don't know if they have the time to take new customers. I can recommend the former innkeeper and current web host and designer Jeremy where I have my website hosted. They are not fancy, but can do you a good site that will show up well, and since one is a former B&B owner, knows how we depend on our websites.
If you go to http://ew3d.com/services.htm that is their website. They are also usually at the PAII meetings and the Virginia B&B Assn meetings.
Riki
Thank you. That is very helpful.

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

There are "industry" folks out there who do only B & B websites. Here is one example. Here is another.
Look at sites you like, usually there is a credit line somewhere. Check them out. Lots have their portfolios listed. When you say a "site never came up"..don't expect to see your NEW website show up in major search engines quickly..it just won't happen. If you go to SWIRTS..advice page. Read it all carefully. This gives you the basics so you can discuss intelligently with a potential web designer what you want.
You have to arm yourself with some knowledge before you proceed. THis is a MAJOR marketing piece and 90% of people will be looking on line for an/your inn.
Cat Lady,
Your advice page was extremely helpful. Thank you.

hiddencove said:

hiddencove2.gif

hiddencove1.gif

hiddencove said:
The problem is: How do I know they know what they are doing? Many say they are website designers, but they really are not that capable. What is your advice in hiring a web designer?
You are right, there are many who claim to be capable and are not. In fact I think the incapable or half-assed outnumber the capable by a large margin...but my standards are higher than most.
My suggestion is to do your homework first. Read this collection of Bed and Breakfast Website Advice. I end nearly every page with info on how to spot a designer that should be avoided. It is not easy. I realize it is a lot to take in. Generally if they are talking technobable and can't/won't explain some specifics to you in a way you can understand, then they should be avoided.
As JBJ said, look at their portfolio and follow it with some searching that you would expect the sites in their portfolio should show up for.
Thanks.

Back