Another Chip and PIN question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And Canadian.
This is one of the things that I keep on telling people... chip cards are a major shift in security... you aren't supposed to give your card to anyone. Processing is done by the client, with the card in their hand and they have control all the time. I don't hand over my card... EVER!
We have a bluetooth handset that we walk over to the client with. Or you need to set up the unit close to the client. HIding it in an office won't work... people won't give you their card. I won't give you my card.
Around here, a restaurant brings the handheld unit to you at the table to pay. We don't give our card away so you can clone it in the back..
We are many years away from the way it's done in Canada and Europe. Many.
Take my word for it... not as far as you think. The banks are being cornered by the credit card companies and the consumers. Consumers are tired of having to redo everything when a card is compromised.
I had to ask a few places if they were chip equipped. If they weren't, we paid cash. My card... not going to be swiped. The words I never forget... Target, Home Depot and Hannaford. All of them have compromised my security.
Guests this weekend, from here, have chip card with pin. Terminal didn't require it. So customers may be getting pin with card but processor doesn't know that. The loop is still open.
And everyone is complaining how slooooow the process is now. I can do half my elevator speech before the transaction goes thru.
The guy at WallyWorld was surprised at how quickly my transaction was done since I didn't need to sign. He was waiting for the signature form.... but it was done. Handed me the receipt so I could just leave.
Once you get it set up properly, you realize how slow the old system with signatures really is. I'm not sure why you are slow. Are you still using POTS for yours or are you connected via the Internet?
Phone line.
It's not the waiting for the signing receipt, it's the waiting for the approval.
Plus, the machine says 'return to clerk' and then waits 20 seconds before continuing.
My guess is that my phone line is faster than my internet.
Really? My Internet is super quick with this. They don't really need to return to clerk, they need to take out the card. But that's something people will get used to.
When my internet is actually working it's OK. Not super, just ok. However, I can wait up to a minute for it to actual connect to any given website. The whole router just locks up.
The guest doesn't actually do anything with the terminal. I take the card, put it in and give it back. But the machine shows the directions, then sits there waiting.
The credit card never leaves the guest's view unless the guest walks off, which a lot of them do. Quite a few forget to take the card back, even when it's just sitting on the desk.
Because they're so wound up from the road, I try to help as much as possible. They're not expecting A) to pay at the door or, B) that we will have such 'advanced' technology. ;-)
Many are still confused about the whole chip thing. Most don't have a chip in their card anyway. We've been doing a little explaining for those who are interested. Their cc company certainly isn't explaining anything.

And Canadian.
This is one of the things that I keep on telling people... chip cards are a major shift in security... you aren't supposed to give your card to anyone. Processing is done by the client, with the card in their hand and they have control all the time. I don't hand over my card... EVER!
We have a bluetooth handset that we walk over to the client with. Or you need to set up the unit close to the client. HIding it in an office won't work... people won't give you their card. I won't give you my card.
Around here, a restaurant brings the handheld unit to you at the table to pay. We don't give our card away so you can clone it in the back..
Take my word for it... not as far as you think. The banks are being cornered by the credit card companies and the consumers. Consumers are tired of having to redo everything when a card is compromised.
I had to ask a few places if they were chip equipped. If they weren't, we paid cash. My card... not going to be swiped. The words I never forget... Target, Home Depot and Hannaford. All of them have compromised my security.
Guests this weekend, from here, have chip card with pin. Terminal didn't require it. So customers may be getting pin with card but processor doesn't know that. The loop is still open.
And everyone is complaining how slooooow the process is now. I can do half my elevator speech before the transaction goes thru.
The guy at WallyWorld was surprised at how quickly my transaction was done since I didn't need to sign. He was waiting for the signature form.... but it was done. Handed me the receipt so I could just leave.
Once you get it set up properly, you realize how slow the old system with signatures really is. I'm not sure why you are slow. Are you still using POTS for yours or are you connected via the Internet?
Phone line.
It's not the waiting for the signing receipt, it's the waiting for the approval.
Plus, the machine says 'return to clerk' and then waits 20 seconds before continuing.
Really? My Internet is super quick with this. They don't really need to return to clerk, they need to take out the card. But that's something people will get used to.
When my internet is actually working it's OK. Not super, just ok. However, I can wait up to a minute for it to actual connect to any given website. The whole router just locks up.
The guest doesn't actually do anything with the terminal. I take the card, put it in and give it back. But the machine shows the directions, then sits there waiting.
The credit card never leaves the guest's view unless the guest walks off, which a lot of them do. Quite a few forget to take the card back, even when it's just sitting on the desk.
Because they're so wound up from the road, I try to help as much as possible. They're not expecting A) to pay at the door or, B) that we will have such 'advanced' technology. ;-)
Many are still confused about the whole chip thing. Most don't have a chip in their card anyway. We've been doing a little explaining for those who are interested. Their cc company certainly isn't explaining anything.
We have to hand the terminal to the customer, we aren't supposed to touch the card unless necessary.
The reason the programmed was changed because people were leaving the card. Now the transaction doesn't proceed until the customer removes the card. So it says "Please remove card" at the end, they take their card and it starts to print.
They also had to change the ATM programming. The ATMs use to spit out the money and receipt and then the card. Now, you have to remove the card before it will spit out the money and receipt.
It will take time to get used to it. I think I paid at 3 places using my card on the weekend, including WallyWorld. In the case of the CostClub, well, they use MC in Canada and AX in the US, so they don't even take their own branded cards from one country to the other. So weird! They are changing to V in the US... and I don't even have a V card or AX card. She tells me that "some" of our debit cards do work, there, but not all.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
We have to hand the terminal to the customer, we aren't supposed to touch the card unless necessary.
The reason the programmed was changed because people were leaving the card. Now the transaction doesn't proceed until the customer removes the card. So it says "Please remove card" at the end, they take their card and it starts to print.
They also had to change the ATM programming. The ATMs use to spit out the money and receipt and then the card. Now, you have to remove the card before it will spit out the money and receipt.
It will take time to get used to it. I think I paid at 3 places using my card on the weekend, including WallyWorld. In the case of the CostClub, well, they use MC in Canada and AX in the US, so they don't even take their own branded cards from one country to the other. So weird! They are changing to V in the US... and I don't even have a V card or AX card. She tells me that "some" of our debit cards do work, there, but not all.
Mine has the please remove card and then return terminal to clerk messages. Then we wait. I'll time it. But a lot of guests have asked if there is something wrong. That's how long it takes.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Mine has the please remove card and then return terminal to clerk messages. Then we wait. I'll time it. But a lot of guests have asked if there is something wrong. That's how long it takes.
Interesting. Ours is instant. The minute they remove the card it starts to print their receipt.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Sorry, I think that it's your phone line that's slow. :-( My dh works for the largest credit card processor in the world. During Thanksgiving week, they processed an average of over 2.6K transactions per second in North America. That's very fast considering all the checks that are involved in completing an authorization!!

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Sorry, I think that it's your phone line that's slow. :-( My dh works for the largest credit card processor in the world. During Thanksgiving week, they processed an average of over 2.6K transactions per second in North America. That's very fast considering all the checks that are involved in completing an authorization!!
It certainly could be the phone, too. It's the oldest infrastructure in the country here. No fiber optics, slow internet, it's really ancient equipment.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
It certainly could be the phone, too. It's the oldest infrastructure in the country here. No fiber optics, slow internet, it's really ancient equipment.
Looking online. GWI and xfinity offer the best service near you, from 3rd party reports.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Looking online. GWI and xfinity offer the best service near you, from 3rd party reports.
Generic said:
We have a bundle plan. Not changing anytime soon. Will go with the local guys once they get here.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Generic said:
We have a bundle plan. Not changing anytime soon. Will go with the local guys once they get here.
When other guys come around is when the companies actually do something about it. The fights around here can be dirty. They all want your business, when you suddenly have a choice.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Morticia said:
Have you tried hitting the "enter" button at the "return to clerk" prompt? That's what I do.

And Canadian.
Phone line.
Morticia said:
Have you tried hitting the "enter" button at the "return to clerk" prompt? That's what I do.
Have not, but I will give that a shot.

Innkeep said:
Have had 2 different European credit cards since I changed to a chip-reading machine. The first one did not require the PIN, but the second one did. Since my reader is in my office where it's plugged in to the computer, it's a MAJOR pain to get the card owner and the card reader in the same place. So, for my US buddies - - Can I expect the majority of European cards to require the PIN?
Europe has been chip and pin since 2002, cards were issued with chips for dual chip/signature since before then but the official no-more-signature-to-purchase began in February 2002 so you can definitely expect your European guests to be chip and pin savvy, I haven't signed for a purchase in over 13 years! However UK banks and credit card issuers know that other countries we may travel to aren't all using chip and pin terminals hence our cards still do have a signature strip and functioning magnetic strip but you may find the card holder hasn't signed their card on the back and will be surprised to be asked to sign for a purchase but our cards will work in the US. The newest thing is contactless which is taking off here for low cost purchases first it was under £10 now it's for purchases under £20, if it hasn't reached the US yet it basically means we just present our card near the terminal, no signature and no pin, it's a lot quicker at tills. I haven't invested in a contactless terminal because we don't sell anything that costs less than £20 but as this limit is expected to gradually be increased so there will be a point where I will need to invest in a contactless terminal.

Innkeep said:
Have had 2 different European credit cards since I changed to a chip-reading machine. The first one did not require the PIN, but the second one did. Since my reader is in my office where it's plugged in to the computer, it's a MAJOR pain to get the card owner and the card reader in the same place. So, for my US buddies - - Can I expect the majority of European cards to require the PIN?
Europe has been chip and pin since 2002, cards were issued with chips for dual chip/signature since before then but the official no-more-signature-to-purchase began in February 2002 so you can definitely expect your European guests to be chip and pin savvy, I haven't signed for a purchase in over 13 years! However UK banks and credit card issuers know that other countries we may travel to aren't all using chip and pin terminals hence our cards still do have a signature strip and functioning magnetic strip but you may find the card holder hasn't signed their card on the back and will be surprised to be asked to sign for a purchase but our cards will work in the US. The newest thing is contactless which is taking off here for low cost purchases first it was under £10 now it's for purchases under £20, if it hasn't reached the US yet it basically means we just present our card near the terminal, no signature and no pin, it's a lot quicker at tills. I haven't invested in a contactless terminal because we don't sell anything that costs less than £20 but as this limit is expected to gradually be increased so there will be a point where I will need to invest in a contactless terminal..
Contactless limit in Canada is CAD$100, so that's about GBP50. I had a guest pay for his extras using the contactless.
European banks have already been given the go ahead by the European banking commission to start to remove magnetic strips any time they want. The banks have been waiting on the US, because it's still needed on US ATMs... which is where most of the world's ATM theft is actually happening.
We sign our cards because it says not valid unless signed. I have the problem with some guests from the US who haven't signed (and therefore I'm not supposed to accept the card) or worse, have written something stupid like "Check ID" in which case, that's what they legally have to sign on the damn receipt. I've seen umpteen fights at stores in the city with Americans about this. So much easier with C&P, I don't need to even touch the card.

Innkeep said:
Europe has been chip and pin since 2002, cards were issued with chips for dual chip/signature since before then but the official no-more-signature-to-purchase began in February 2002 so you can definitely expect your European guests to be chip and pin savvy, I haven't signed for a purchase in over 13 years! However UK banks and credit card issuers know that other countries we may travel to aren't all using chip and pin terminals hence our cards still do have a signature strip and functioning magnetic strip but you may find the card holder hasn't signed their card on the back and will be surprised to be asked to sign for a purchase but our cards will work in the US. The newest thing is contactless which is taking off here for low cost purchases first it was under £10 now it's for purchases under £20, if it hasn't reached the US yet it basically means we just present our card near the terminal, no signature and no pin, it's a lot quicker at tills. I haven't invested in a contactless terminal because we don't sell anything that costs less than £20 but as this limit is expected to gradually be increased so there will be a point where I will need to invest in a contactless terminal..
Contactless limit in Canada is CAD$100, so that's about GBP50. I had a guest pay for his extras using the contactless.
European banks have already been given the go ahead by the European banking commission to start to remove magnetic strips any time they want. The banks have been waiting on the US, because it's still needed on US ATMs... which is where most of the world's ATM theft is actually happening.
We sign our cards because it says not valid unless signed. I have the problem with some guests from the US who haven't signed (and therefore I'm not supposed to accept the card) or worse, have written something stupid like "Check ID" in which case, that's what they legally have to sign on the damn receipt. I've seen umpteen fights at stores in the city with Americans about this. So much easier with C&P, I don't need to even touch the card.
I've stopped checking for signatures on cards. I'm not a graphologist. When I used to look? Half the cards weren't signed. Some had 'check id' which I didn't.
I used to mention the invalidity of the card without a signature and I got back that no one could forge their signature if they didn't sign the card. I used to nod and make humming noises. Yup, makes a lot of sense to just sign anything and it's valid. You think if someone physically stole the card they wouldn't just sign it?
So, it makes no sense to ask for id or check for signatures. If it's a stolen card I'm losing the money no matter what I do.

Innkeep said:
I've stopped checking for signatures on cards. I'm not a graphologist. When I used to look? Half the cards weren't signed. Some had 'check id' which I didn't.
I used to mention the invalidity of the card without a signature and I got back that no one could forge their signature if they didn't sign the card. I used to nod and make humming noises. Yup, makes a lot of sense to just sign anything and it's valid. You think if someone physically stole the card they wouldn't just sign it?
So, it makes no sense to ask for id or check for signatures. If it's a stolen card I'm losing the money no matter what I do.
The only requirement on the card is to be signed. It says so "Not valid unless signed" and "Check ID" isn't a signature.
Visa/MC actually explain the reasoning for the security feature. It's almost impossible for someone to learn to fake your signature quickly. They need to use the card quickly, no time to learn to use your signature. So if you don't sign and someone else signs the card, the signatures match... you've helped the thief. (And incidentally Visa/MC don't enforce it, but they could refuse to refund those charges even though you didn't make them because you violated the contractual obligation to sign the card.)
So basically signing your card is actually a deterrent to thieves because it's difficult to fake the signature. The PIN is a bigger deterrent because you have only 3 chanced to miss on the PIN before the card is closed off and you need to call to fix it. That's security 101.

Speaking of chip cards, do any (or all of) you have many of your merchants with chip readers now?
There are hardly any merchants with chip readers activated yet here. All my cards have chips now. I live in such a time warp here...

Speaking of chip cards, do any (or all of) you have many of your merchants with chip readers now?
There are hardly any merchants with chip readers activated yet here. All my cards have chips now. I live in such a time warp here....
I rarely use credit cards in town. Every little bit helps the small local shops. But I will say the 600 lb gorilla does not accept chipped cards yet.

There are hardly any merchants with chip readers activated yet here. All my cards have chips now. I live in such a time warp here....
I was just visiting and I won't pay unless it's chip. TJ's and WallyWorld were chip. Most weren't. I can't pay with my card at CostClub anymore since they use a different brand here than there.

Saw this in USA Today. Incredible. I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
The bold italic is added by moi, for the enjoyment of JBloggs who loves bold italic.
With all the hoopla over the phase-in of "chip and PIN" cards in the U.S., many consumers are wondering what their PINs are. Well, chances are they probably don't have one.
Though many countries overseas have preferred the punching in of a PIN to complete credit transactions, most of the new chip, or EMV, equipped credit cards being sent out to U.S. consumers will not. That's because in the U.S., when it comes to confirming who they are, a signature, instead of a PIN, will in most cases suffice.
Unlike debit cards, “for credit cards today, it’s not common to use a PIN, so most cards in the U.S. are staying the same way, supporting a signature,’’ or in some cases no card holder verification at all, says Stephanie Ericksen, vice president of risk products for Visa.

Saw this in USA Today. Incredible. I think it's a disaster waiting to happen.
The bold italic is added by moi, for the enjoyment of JBloggs who loves bold italic.
With all the hoopla over the phase-in of "chip and PIN" cards in the U.S., many consumers are wondering what their PINs are. Well, chances are they probably don't have one.
Though many countries overseas have preferred the punching in of a PIN to complete credit transactions, most of the new chip, or EMV, equipped credit cards being sent out to U.S. consumers will not. That's because in the U.S., when it comes to confirming who they are, a signature, instead of a PIN, will in most cases suffice.
Unlike debit cards, “for credit cards today, it’s not common to use a PIN, so most cards in the U.S. are staying the same way, supporting a signature,’’ or in some cases no card holder verification at all, says Stephanie Ericksen, vice president of risk products for Visa..
More than a disaster waiting to happen. But I think it's just going to be a year or two as more and more people start to demand a PIN. The largest was Niagara First to issue PINs, but Target is going to issue PINs on all it's REDcard's issued by TD. And they are advertising the C&P as a feature. It will likely start to force other banks. And the US government stated that it won't accept anything but C&P for government issue, so the banks will have to be able to do it if they want to keep their cardholders who are governmental.

Back