Another Chip and PIN question

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We just switched over from a wired to wireless terminal. We started getting some guests whose cards required pin entry, and we didn't want them marching through our kitchen at breakfast time to punch in pins.
The wireless terminal is nice - we can keep it on its base and run it as usual, and then take it across the kitchen to the customer on the rare occasion when a pin is required.

We just switched over from a wired to wireless terminal. We started getting some guests whose cards required pin entry, and we didn't want them marching through our kitchen at breakfast time to punch in pins.
The wireless terminal is nice - we can keep it on its base and run it as usual, and then take it across the kitchen to the customer on the rare occasion when a pin is required..
That's what I tell everyone. Get the terminal with the bluetooth connection. So much easier to bring to the guest.

The wireless terminal is nice - we can keep it on its base and run it as usual, and then take it across the kitchen to the customer on the rare occasion when a pin is required..
That's what I tell everyone. Get the terminal with the bluetooth connection. So much easier to bring to the guest.
Generic said:
Is this not hackable?

Generic said:
Is this not hackable?
Nope. First of all, it's short distance. Second of all, there is a password between the handheld and the base. They will only talk to each other, no other devices.

Generic said:
Is this not hackable?
Nope. First of all, it's short distance. Second of all, there is a password between the handheld and the base. They will only talk to each other, no other devices.
Generic said:
They will only talk to each other, no other devices.
Yes. I have the Square wireless chip reader/contactless reader (accepts payments from iPhone and others). It can only be paired with one device (iPad or iPhone, for instance) at a time. If you want it to connect with a different device, you have to unpair it from the old one first.

Generic said:
Is this not hackable?
Generic said:
Yes. I have the Square wireless chip reader/contactless reader (accepts payments from iPhone and others). It can only be paired with one device (iPad or iPhone, for instance) at a time. If you want it to connect with a different device, you have to unpair it from the old one first.
I'm using this...
Helcim-IngenicoIWL220-02.jpg

They come already paired and will only pair with each other.

About to go to war with our CC processor on Monday.
Got notification of two chargebacks for the same transaction. The CC processor gave the transaction different #'s because the visitor was from overseas and there were exchange rate issues. Transaction occurred four days after the Oct. 1 chip d-day. I tried to run the card, the terminal gave me "Chip Process Not Available - Swipe Authorized." So I ran it. And now I'm gotten charged back twice!
I filed an objection to both and they were just denied. So God help whoever's on TSYS's customer service desk first thing Monday morning, because I'm sic'ing Mrs. Phineas on them. And she's gonna "go all New York" on them.

About to go to war with our CC processor on Monday.
Got notification of two chargebacks for the same transaction. The CC processor gave the transaction different #'s because the visitor was from overseas and there were exchange rate issues. Transaction occurred four days after the Oct. 1 chip d-day. I tried to run the card, the terminal gave me "Chip Process Not Available - Swipe Authorized." So I ran it. And now I'm gotten charged back twice!
I filed an objection to both and they were just denied. So God help whoever's on TSYS's customer service desk first thing Monday morning, because I'm sic'ing Mrs. Phineas on them. And she's gonna "go all New York" on them..
Mrs P is from NY?

Mrs. Swann is from Westchester. We have a mixed marriage: Mr. Swann from Tennessee dared to marry a Yankee.

Mrs. Swann is from Westchester. We have a mixed marriage: Mr. Swann from Tennessee dared to marry a Yankee..
PhineasSwann said:
Mrs. Swann is from Westchester. We have a mixed marriage: Mr. Swann from Tennessee dared to marry a Yankee.
I'm from the Bronx. Gomez is from the Adirondacks. Also a mixed marriage. ;-)

Generic said:
Is this not hackable?
Generic said:
I'm using this...
Helcim-IngenicoIWL220-02.jpg

They come already paired and will only pair with each other.
I use this one too. Love, love, love it. I have it plugged directly into my modem (in the garage) and bring it into the kitchen where my bookkeeping corner is. Then, I just bring it into the hallway when the guest pays. So fast and easy.

Just to mention this... I'm going on vacation, so I called up my CC company to notify them of my trip. They had one question "Are you going to the US?". Nope. So, you no longer have to notify us. So, I only have to tell them if I am going to the US and I'm going to use my card without a chip. Otherwise, no notification needed. Interesting, no?

Back