Anybody Join "Select Registry"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a reply to Trishny, but her post has disappeared...
It would not be up to me to recommend you. We are not in your SR region (our states are VA, WV, DE and MD), and I have never stayed at your B&B. If you are really interested I would talk to a nearby SR inn - the Mill House Inn in East Hampton is the only one close to you. It's not that easy to get accepted - there are several inns in VA who applied this year who didn't make it. You would need the support of a member inn in your region to get in, in my opinion..
Muirford -- Thank you so much! Sooooo, if we got accepted at "Select Registry", would that be the "icing on the cake"!! ?
Really, what do you think ?

It would not be up to me to recommend you. We are not in your SR region (our states are VA, WV, DE and MD), and I have never stayed at your B&B. If you are really interested I would talk to a nearby SR inn - the Mill House Inn in East Hampton is the only one close to you. It's not that easy to get accepted - there are several inns in VA who applied this year who didn't make it. You would need the support of a member inn in your region to get in, in my opinion..
Muirford -- Thank you so much! Sooooo, if we got accepted at "Select Registry", would that be the "icing on the cake"!! ?
Here's the short list of criteria:
1. The property must be fully licensed according to national, regional, and local governmental requirements.
2. Breakfast must be offered on the premises.
3. Each guestroom or suite must have a private bath.
4. If the evening meal is not provided on the premises, fine dining or quality regional dining must be readily available in the area.
5. The property should have been in operation for a minimum of two years at the time of application (one year of operation if the owner/operator is a previous SR innkeeper).
6. The owner/operator or innkeeper should have at least three years of documented lodging management experience.
7. The property is encouraged to secure at least two endorsements from SR properties in good standing.
I didn't see anything about number of rooms but I also couldn't find the application form. Maybe you have to email them first. I think you need to seriously consider #'s 5, 6 & 7 before calling them. I think you'd miss the grade on those. (Given there is only one property nearby that is SR, you'd have to go out of your area to find the other one.) Also, are you fully licensed? Wasn't there some issue before about not being open year round so you couldn't be endorsed or something?

Really, what I think (and I've said this in two previous posts) - you are not qualified to be in Select Registry. There are several requirements you don't meet. Period, end of my input on the matter. If you want to pursue it further, do your research and figure it out.

Really, what I think (and I've said this in two previous posts) - you are not qualified to be in Select Registry. There are several requirements you don't meet. Period, end of my input on the matter. If you want to pursue it further, do your research and figure it out.
Hey there muirford, In answer to this negative post, I would say to purchase the Sept., 1st issue of "Distinction" Magazine.
Sounds like you don't want us in Select Registry. WHY, I really don't know.

Hey there muirford, In answer to this negative post, I would say to purchase the Sept., 1st issue of "Distinction" Magazine.
Oh, for crying out loud...
She's only telling you the Select Registry organization's requirements! You have to meet those requirements to be able to eligible to apply to be a part of Select Registry. Go online and check the requirements for yourself at www.selectregistry.com.
Congratulations on being featured in a local Long Island magazine.

Trisha...
Your inn is beautiful, and certainly deserves to be in Distinction. You are sweet and good hearted, and optimistic, which are great qualities. What the others are trying to say is that no matter how marvelous your inn, or how optimistic you yourself are, the rules are the rules: 6 rooms, 3 years in biz.
They're not trying to say you're not Select. They're trying to say they don't think you'll qualify, just as I couldn't qualify with only 4 rooms and a year in biz.
=)
Kk.

Muirford -- you sound like the Dean of Disipline of Select Registry., lol!!! Are they paying you "???
I'll let you know when we are accepted.

Muirford -- you sound like the Dean of Disipline of Select Registry., lol!!! Are they paying you "???
TrishaNY, You asked what she thought. She quoted the rules 3 times. You continued to ask what she thought, and she specifically said that it was not up to her and continued to quote the rules. You didn't like the content of her answers and are going out of your way to feel slighted.
You seem to be trolling for a disagreement. Knock it off, or we are done here.

She's only telling you the Select Registry organization's requirements! You have to meet those requirements to be able to eligible to apply to be a part of Select Registry. Go online and check the requirements for yourself at www.selectregistry.com.
Samster, you are kidding me right? Right?!! Distinction Magazine is distributed world-wide. It's NOT a Long Island Newspaper. I guess you never read it.
You know what, I don't even know why I'm answering you.

Don't want you in Select Registry? Nah, there are other innkeepers in Select Registry I think are arrogant and blockheaded - so why would I care if you join? LOL!! You asked my opinion and I gave it to you. SR doesn't pay me anything - I'm sure they would be unhappy that I wouldn't try to convince you to pay the $3000 application fee ($1500 of which is nonrefundable) and let them tell you where you fall short.
The real question I ask myself is why I bothered to reply to your post in the first place. It had to eventually get to this point with you - there seems to be no other way. Hope that 'Distinction' magazine article keeps giving you the boost that you need. I'm done.

The jury is still out a bit for me on the ROI - yes, the annual cost is in the thousands and the initial application fee is also in the thousands. Both are under $5000, if you need a limit, but they vary depending on the size of the property and the initial sourcing of the application. We were invited to join and our initial fee was much less than the stated application fee - I still don't know why we were asked to join but there are not a lot of SR inns in our state. We get enough guests from them to cover our annual fee. The real question is, would we get those guests anyway without being in Select Registry, or would we get other guests to fill those rooms from other, less expensive sources. I think there is a better ROI if you are a new inn looking to build your business and not an established one, like we were.
We do get guests, way more this year than last year, who never travel anywhere without the Select Registry book (it is the book that gets the most attention, not the website). Many of them will not stay at an inn unless it is Select Registry. They get some comfort from the surprise inspection process. It is a much more rigorous process than our state association inspection. As an innkeeper, I get to stay at SR inns for a 50% discount - not as good as the discount I've received from some forum friends
angel_smile.gif
, but I've gotten use out of that benefit for some good vacations.
If you don't meet several of the criteria - number of rooms, years in the business, etc. - it is pretty difficult to get in. We met all three when we were solicited to apply - it was our third year in, we have six rooms and are walking distance to fine dining. The inspection was still a hellish process - if you think it's no fun having guests or people on this forum tell you what you are doing wrong, wait until you are sitting across from an inspector telling you all the low-class items he's found! I barely survived...
cry_smile.gif
muirford said:
If you don't meet several of the criteria - number of rooms, years in the business, etc. - it is pretty difficult to get in. We met all three when we were solicited to apply - it was our third year in, we have six rooms and are walking distance to fine dining. The inspection was still a hellish process - if you think it's no fun having guests or people on this forum tell you what you are doing wrong, wait until you are sitting across from an inspector telling you all the low-class items he's found! I barely survived...
cry_smile.gif
That's kind of what I meant...I'm sure I'd be classified as 'low class' so no reason to even go thru the process. Besides, if the SR guests are anywhere like the AAA guests, no thanks. The AAA guests don't understand the rating system at all and wonder why we have the same 3 stars that the dumpy hotels do? So that doesn't help our image, either.
Want to give an example of 'low class' while I sit here and cringe?
Let's see - a laminated guest instruction sheet on the dresser? With an 'intimidating' smoking policy. I change to nicer guest folders (it's better, they have more info that way) but kept the smoking policy. The second guy didn't say 'boo' about it.
It was hard to say that most of the items on the punch list weren't appropriate and almost all of them were things we were in process of, anyway. Adding lighting to the parking lot, painting the fence and the exterior - locks on the doors came up, too. We were taken by surprise with a really quick inspection - it happened about two weeks after we returned the application. We had been told we wouldn't be inspected before the first of the year (which gave us three months lead time). Still, it's like a knife in the gut to have to sit there and take it.
I can honestly say the SR guests have not been any snottier than our other guests - no better, no worse as a group. Some have been really nice. I might prefer them to the AAA guests who always seem to be looking for discounts and 'using up' everything, as JBJ says. That tendency doesn't seem to exhibit with SR guests.
muirford said:
Still, it's like a knife in the gut to have to sit there and take it.
Gosh .... not that we're ever going to have to find out, but I would find that awfully intimidating - especially right now when (as I think JBJ put it) we are all delirious. There is so much I know needs to be done and so much more I want to do that when I think about it, it gets overwhelming. There would absolutely be things pointed out that I hadn't even thought about I'd probably dissolve into a blubbering lump of jello.
When I started I kinda assumed that I was doing everything wrong - now I'm much more comfortable with what I do but second guess myself and worry constantly. When we do get any kind of public accolade I'm thrilled but immediately start to fret about the raised expectations of subsequent guests. I guess one of the most important things I've learned (in equal part from this forum and from just "doing" it) is to simply do the best I can, in my own way and cherish every happy guest.
In that vein - I must apologize if I sometimes post "victories" on this forum, but it's those moments that allow me to take a deep, happy breath and realize that, despite all the shortcomings, sometimes I'm doing something right. One of the reasons this "job" works so well for me is that I really love the immediate feedback - good or bad - and the ability to take ownership of same and ALWAYS learn from it .....

The jury is still out a bit for me on the ROI - yes, the annual cost is in the thousands and the initial application fee is also in the thousands. Both are under $5000, if you need a limit, but they vary depending on the size of the property and the initial sourcing of the application. We were invited to join and our initial fee was much less than the stated application fee - I still don't know why we were asked to join but there are not a lot of SR inns in our state. We get enough guests from them to cover our annual fee. The real question is, would we get those guests anyway without being in Select Registry, or would we get other guests to fill those rooms from other, less expensive sources. I think there is a better ROI if you are a new inn looking to build your business and not an established one, like we were.
We do get guests, way more this year than last year, who never travel anywhere without the Select Registry book (it is the book that gets the most attention, not the website). Many of them will not stay at an inn unless it is Select Registry. They get some comfort from the surprise inspection process. It is a much more rigorous process than our state association inspection. As an innkeeper, I get to stay at SR inns for a 50% discount - not as good as the discount I've received from some forum friends
angel_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
muirford said:
cry_smile.gif
That's kind of what I meant...I'm sure I'd be classified as 'low class' so no reason to even go thru the process. Besides, if the SR guests are anywhere like the AAA guests, no thanks. The AAA guests don't understand the rating system at all and wonder why we have the same 3 stars that the dumpy hotels do? So that doesn't help our image, either.
Let's see - a laminated guest instruction sheet on the dresser? With an 'intimidating' smoking policy. I change to nicer guest folders (it's better, they have more info that way) but kept the smoking policy. The second guy didn't say 'boo' about it.
It was hard to say that most of the items on the punch list weren't appropriate and almost all of them were things we were in process of, anyway. Adding lighting to the parking lot, painting the fence and the exterior - locks on the doors came up, too. We were taken by surprise with a really quick inspection - it happened about two weeks after we returned the application. We had been told we wouldn't be inspected before the first of the year (which gave us three months lead time). Still, it's like a knife in the gut to have to sit there and take it.
I can honestly say the SR guests have not been any snottier than our other guests - no better, no worse as a group. Some have been really nice. I might prefer them to the AAA guests who always seem to be looking for discounts and 'using up' everything, as JBJ says. That tendency doesn't seem to exhibit with SR guests.
muirford said:
Gosh .... not that we're ever going to have to find out, but I would find that awfully intimidating - especially right now when (as I think JBJ put it) we are all delirious. There is so much I know needs to be done and so much more I want to do that when I think about it, it gets overwhelming. There would absolutely be things pointed out that I hadn't even thought about I'd probably dissolve into a blubbering lump of jello.
When I started I kinda assumed that I was doing everything wrong - now I'm much more comfortable with what I do but second guess myself and worry constantly. When we do get any kind of public accolade I'm thrilled but immediately start to fret about the raised expectations of subsequent guests. I guess one of the most important things I've learned (in equal part from this forum and from just "doing" it) is to simply do the best I can, in my own way and cherish every happy guest.
In that vein - I must apologize if I sometimes post "victories" on this forum, but it's those moments that allow me to take a deep, happy breath and realize that, despite all the shortcomings, sometimes I'm doing something right. One of the reasons this "job" works so well for me is that I really love the immediate feedback - good or bad - and the ability to take ownership of same and ALWAYS learn from it .....
The Tipsy Butler said:
I must apologize if I sometimes post "victories" on this forum, but it's those moments that allow me to take a deep, happy breath and realize that, despite all the shortcomings, sometimes I'm doing something right.
No! Don't apologize! We love to hear the happy stories, the victories, and the special moments when someone was touched, or touches us. The others have been very generous as I post mine... we're still so new, every little opportunity seems so wonderful to me, so exciting I just have to share with someone. And, as we all know, no one else gets it. If I share with my sister she just doesn't get why I'm so happy/excited/enthused.
So, thank you to everyone here who lets us share what is "old hat" to the rest of you!
=)
Kk.

Samster, you are kidding me right? Right?!! Distinction Magazine is distributed world-wide. It's NOT a Long Island Newspaper. I guess you never read it.
I did look at this magazine's web site when you posted that you were to be published in there.
From their Our Magazine page: "Our publication offers a wide range of interesting subjects for our readers. Each issue focuses various happenings on Long Island as well as local towns of interest from Rockville Centre to Montauk." That is by definition a local magazine. Since I am not interested in visiting Long Island (been there, done that...and btw my dh was born & raised there on the South shore) and I don't live there, why would I subscribe to or purchase a publication devoted to Long Island? btw - the typo in the quote is from their website, not mine, so I'm really not impressed with their quality either.
I think that the editors/publishers of Architectural Digest (which I DO read) would take great exception to your comparison of their publication to this one.
If you weren't so self-aggrandising to the point of putting down others on this forum & being so contentious when someone tries to tell you the process involved in certain aspects of innkeeping, I personally would be much happier for you on this accomplishment that you feel is so important.
I do wish you the best of luck with your B&B and stint as an innkeeper, but I personally am finished communicating with you on this forum.

angel_smile.gif
cry_smile.gif
muirford said:
cry_smile.gif
muirford said:
You (and everyone else) just keep posting your victories. It gives us all a lift. It gives hope that it isn't all peed beds, barfing dogs, wet towels, and it cannot be properly described that there are those days when we feel like we won the grand Powerball prize to hug around us.
It makes the crushers easier to bear. So keep on shining that light - do not hide it under a basket.

Hi TrishaNY, just to clarify from a media angle, Distinction is produced and distributed by Newsday, only in Long Island with a circulation of 35,000. In a lot of ways if you are a B&B being in a locally targeted media outlet is much more valuable than being in a larger general circulation outlet because those local folks may actually book a few nights after seeing your inn. While it can be amazing to be in an internation/national publication, and it will raise the profile of your inn, chances of a person from across the country booking are much slimmer. Local publications also have the huge advantage, especially in the current sound bite media environment, of having loyal readers who tend to patronize local services. Either way that's a great piece of pickup, congrats.

TrishaNY, You asked what she thought. She quoted the rules 3 times. You continued to ask what she thought, and she specifically said that it was not up to her and continued to quote the rules. You didn't like the content of her answers and are going out of your way to feel slighted.
Swirt, the rules quoted are very incorrect. One innkeeper cannot ASSURE another that they don't qualify or that they don't meet requirements to join a certain group.
when the content of the answer was questionned by me, the result was very distasteful postings. And I know you don't agree with unresearched postings that are posted as fact.
I'm not just disagreeing, I'm saying the answer was wrong.
Can't knock off free speech.

From: http://www.selectregistry.com/documents/SR_Membership_Criteria_revisions.pdf
Criteria for Membership Application
The overriding objective of Select Registry is to admit properties that will materially enhance the overall quality of the organization.
The property must pass Select Registry’s Quality Assurance inspection. If the property fails the QA inspection, reapplication may be made after six months.
1. The property must be fully licensed according to national, regional, and local governmental requirements.
4. If the evening meal is not provided on the premises, fine dining or quality regional dining must be readily available in the area.
5. The property should have been in operation for a minimum of two years at the time of application (one year of operation if the owner/operator is a previous SR innkeeper)
6. The owner/operator or innkeeper should have at least three years of documented lodging management experience.
7. The property is encouraged to secure at least two endorsements from SR properties in good standing.
The Select Registry Board is the final arbiter of all applications and may, at its sole discretion, accept or decline any application for membership.

=)
Kk.

From: http://www.selectregistry.com/documents/SR_Membership_Criteria_revisions.pdf
Criteria for Membership Application
The overriding objective of Select Registry is to admit properties that will materially enhance the overall quality of the organization.
The property must pass Select Registry’s Quality Assurance inspection. If the property fails the QA inspection, reapplication may be made after six months.
5. The property should have been in operation for a minimum of two years at the time of application (one year of operation if the owner/operator is a previous SR innkeeper)
The Select Registry Board is the final arbiter of all applications and may, at its sole discretion, accept or decline any application for membership.

=)
Kk..
Thanks for posting that. Have all the literature. Nos. 5, 6 and 7 are incorrect. They were recently changed.
Also, the application fee is now $2,000, not $1,500, just FYI.

Swirt, the rules quoted are very incorrect. One innkeeper cannot ASSURE another that they don't qualify or that they don't meet requirements to join a certain group.
when the content of the answer was questionned by me, the result was very distasteful postings. And I know you don't agree with unresearched postings that are posted as fact.
I'm not just disagreeing, I'm saying the answer was wrong.
Can't knock off free speech.
TrishaNY knock it off! Muirford is able to read and quote with the best of us. Just because you seem to have selective reading is no need to go saying things like "the rules quoted are very incorrect."
Taken directly from
http://www.selectregistry.com/application/default.aspx
Criteria #5 The property should have been in operation for a minimum of two years at the time of application THIS IS NOT YOU. In one more year, this could be you.
Criteria #6 The owner/operator or innkeeper should have at least three years of documented lodging management experience. THIS IS NOT YOU. In two more years time, it could be you.
Notice that there is no criteria #8 that says if you were written up in a local magazine you get an automatic pass to skip #5 and #6.
Muirford was trying to save you $1500 in application fees ($3000 application fee - the $1500 refundable portion they give back when your application is denied because you missed 2 out of 7 of the criteria). IF you want to persist with the assumption that they will make an exception to the criteria because you were written up in a local magazine, by all means, send them the check and start the process. Let us know how it turns out.
Please keep in mind that it is very easy to misread the tone of a response. I think you completely misread Muriford's tone if you think her original responses to your questions were distasteful. Just so there are no misunderstandings, my tone right now, should not be read as happy. If you want to test your theory of "Can't knock off free speech", continue with your tone of accusing other members of not knowing their facts. You can say what you want, but that does not mean I have to provide you the platform to say it.

Back