Anyone else experiencing low numbers for January?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday..
Madeleine said:
My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday.
So any regrets about being closed?
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday.
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
I am sooooo with you on that!!!
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
I put down the paintbrush today after a month of painting 3 rooms. (Each room has required 3-4 coats of paint!) Going to put the house back together, do all the little details and then go away for a few days before guests arrive in Feb.
Putting the house back together is probably a 3-4 day project by itself!
I have some small touch up painting tasks but I am done with the painting until after valentines day when I start up again on the last room and the hallway.
Congratulations!!! A job well done!! Will you be coming our way?
I have been down for 4 weeks with a bad chest cold that is just now letting up so I am way behind in my main winter project..stripping the wall paper and repainting our bedroom. I am managing to get it off the wall and cleaning all the paste off too but it is taking me forever. I can only blame myself....I put it on 20 years ago and when I put wall paper on the wall I put it on for life!!!!
Family will be visiting next weekend but when they leave I will pick up the brush, hoping that 2 coats of Ben M Rvere Pewter will cover the off white that is on the walls now. The woodwork, and there is plenty of it, will be the challenge and will take me into March, no doubt.

My numbers don't count, we're closed, but my competition seems to be pretty busy every weekend and many have 1-2 rooms during the week. I'd say it's actually been better than usual. Especially last weekend with the holiday..
Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
I put down the paintbrush today after a month of painting 3 rooms. (Each room has required 3-4 coats of paint!) Going to put the house back together, do all the little details and then go away for a few days before guests arrive in Feb.
I have some small touch up painting tasks but I am done with the painting until after valentines day when I start up again on the last room and the hallway.
Wow, that's some pigment deficient paint. I've never have to do more than 2 coats. Then again, I use paint with built in primer so that I can touch up anytime. You putting down a very dark colour? Change or colour? Big end brand?
Sugar Bear said:
Wow, that's some pigment deficient paint. I've never have to do more than 2 coats. Then again, I use paint with built in primer so that I can touch up anytime. You putting down a very dark colour? Change or colour? Big end brand?
The dark colors covered bare walls in 2 coats. It's the cream color that is taking 4 coats. Walls were papered so are extremely dry and also full of paper primer which is a sickly green color. We washed the walls 2x but the guy at the big name paint store said I should have primed (he said that Monday, I have painted 5 rooms so far, so a little too late on the info). I have one room left. It's not going to be this cream!
Yeah, I would have primed too. If they have it, buy one can that is paint with primer of that colour in the same finish to keep in stock for touch ups. Same finish. It's useful to have in case you need to pull it out and do a touch up and the primer will help if you need to spackle a spot, so you don't leave a weird "spot" caused by the plaster.
And I would have primed with oil based primer, it locks in smells and ANYTHING that was underneath. Kilz Original or Zinnser Cover All.

Madeleine said:
Arks said:
Madeleine said:
[h2]
ZERO.[/h2]
thumbs_up.gif

Silverspoon said:
thumbs_up.gif
Sugar Bear said:
The dark colors covered bare walls in 2 coats. It's the cream color that is taking 4 coats. Walls were papered so are extremely dry and also full of paper primer which is a sickly green color. We washed the walls 2x but the guy at the big name paint store said I should have primed (he said that Monday, I have painted 5 rooms so far, so a little too late on the info). I have one room left. It's not going to be this cream!
Yeah, I would have primed too. If they have it, buy one can that is paint with primer of that colour in the same finish to keep in stock for touch ups. Same finish. It's useful to have in case you need to pull it out and do a touch up and the primer will help if you need to spackle a spot, so you don't leave a weird "spot" caused by the plaster.
And I would have primed with oil based primer, it locks in smells and ANYTHING that was underneath. Kilz Original or Zinnser Cover All.
Sugar Bear said:
That's what he said. oil based primer.

Pretty sporadic here. We've booked several Spring and Summer weddings, but occupancy is way down. Just too cold and wet to enjoy the outdoors here.

Not seeing many guests, but the snow plow guy has been here about 4 times a week since early December. This is the worst winter weather-wise for us in at least a decade and there's still a lot of winter yet to happen.

Not seeing many guests, but the snow plow guy has been here about 4 times a week since early December. This is the worst winter weather-wise for us in at least a decade and there's still a lot of winter yet to happen..
I paid a couple kids to shovel my front sidewalk and the stoop to the porch (snow was up to the bottom step as if it was not there) and a couple hours later it was as if they had never been there.

Winter is one of our high seasons and even though we're down from last January (which was spectacular), this is our second-best January yet.
I'm surprised it's been this good considering the cold, harsh winter that's been slamming the big city where most of our winter business comes from. Usually our best winters are when the city gets just enough snow to remind people winter exists but not enough to make them sick of it. It's early, though, and we might see a dip in February due to "snow fatigue".
The ice storm over the christmas holidays did hurt, though. Usually that's a full on crazy week for us but it was just piddly this year. We didn't get the storm up where we are but it kept people at home instead of getting away to play for a few days.

I'm dying out here. It's been horrible!
It's hard to enjoy the down time when I'm worried about this trend..
We are slow, too. Don't expect much in the winter, but Jan is 13% occupancy!
Got to take advantage of it; I have actually cleaned out the garage. DW nearly fainted.

Our January so far is 50% less than last year. Even though our December was 4x as busy as last year.

Back