ARGH! Special Needs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donald Draper

Reaction score
DH working the breakfast schedule. There is at least one special needs breakfast EVERY SINGLE DAY OF MAY. Some are so simple (vegetarian, gluten free) but the combos are making us a little crazy (gluten free and no dairy, gluten free and no eggs!). We are more than happy to try to accommodate, especially when the guest is kind enough to give advance notice. But we are not a restaurant, we serve a very simple country breakfast and I get confused that people with so many special needs expect them all to be met. What B&B breakfast does not include eggs…and they are staying for 5 nights!!! I never claimed to be a gourmet or creative, guess I feel like I'm being asked to be something I'm not. Harumph!

Have you asked what they usually eat? You're right, the combos are a killer. We have one coming up that I think is a group that booked individually. Among them: no gluten, no dairy, no corn products. Before the no corn booked I was planning corn muffins.
Everyone is getting gf soy products that weekend. 3 nights. Hope no one has a soy allergy they forgot to mention.
And guests may think they are being helpful by telling us they prefer Almond Breeze to Silk Almond but that's not the case. ;-)
Maybe this year we'll consider turning down reservations for multiple nights for people with dietary needs too far off what's normal for us.

Have you asked what they usually eat? You're right, the combos are a killer. We have one coming up that I think is a group that booked individually. Among them: no gluten, no dairy, no corn products. Before the no corn booked I was planning corn muffins.
Everyone is getting gf soy products that weekend. 3 nights. Hope no one has a soy allergy they forgot to mention.
And guests may think they are being helpful by telling us they prefer Almond Breeze to Silk Almond but that's not the case. ;-)
Maybe this year we'll consider turning down reservations for multiple nights for people with dietary needs too far off what's normal for us..
They actually TELL you what fake milk to buy for them? Sorry, we just buy one brand, if you have a preference, bring it along with you. And it's whatever fake milk we have in the house... but I can guarantee you that it won't ever be soy, because we don't like soy milk.

Hang in there DD, you will get through the crazies.
I wrote a whole bunch here, and just deleted it. Again, graduation weekend. Oh and anyone who saw the nice app I made on FB (for guests they no showed so it all went into the trash) - no none of this has to do with graduation either.

I am sooooo glad I am retired innkeeper. there is no way I could take care of these sorts of requests. If it isn't a life threatening allergy...they get what they are served. Offer cereal, juice and fruit and be done with it...... Eat it or not! You are not a restaurant. I would carefully word website to say...FOOD ALLERGIES...let us know...otherwise we serve.....yada yada.

Make life easier. They have vegan, gf waffles in the freezer aisle. Put some fruit on it and voila... done!

Maybe this year we'll consider turning down reservations for multiple nights for people with dietary needs too far off what's normal for us..
They actually TELL you what fake milk to buy for them? Sorry, we just buy one brand, if you have a preference, bring it along with you. And it's whatever fake milk we have in the house... but I can guarantee you that it won't ever be soy, because we don't like soy milk.
Jon Sable said:
Yes. And 'organic only'. We get told certain brands all the time. I don't buy them. But it's another one of those million tiny cuts.

DD I had to deal with multi issues a couple weekends ago. I was a nervous wreck, can't think of doing that 5 nights.
I have a GF, sugar free, dairy free couple next weekend. And another no soy.
And this weekend a 3 night regular which has always been GF. Served her meal this am which had an oats/brown sugar topping and she told me she could not eat the topping. Hubby did not mention no oats or corn meal. Rice seems to be about the only grain she can eat. Tomorrow I will return to the basics with her.

Jon Sable said:
Yes. And 'organic only'. We get told certain brands all the time. I don't buy them. But it's another one of those million tiny cuts.
Oh. We actually have a charge for organic only. It's $15 per breakfast.
I can buy a steak for the price of organic tomatoes in the winter.

There is no doubt that special needs are an important element of breakfast service and, at some price points, a major selling point.
There is also little doubt that the innkeeper's answer to that element is all over the map.
If having daily dietary challenges are making you grumpy, it might be time to look at where you want to be on the, "special diet service spectrum"

I feel for you DD. You're right, it's the combo that gets you! Let us know if you need any suggestions for a combo on a certain day.
Hang in there!

DD I had to deal with multi issues a couple weekends ago. I was a nervous wreck, can't think of doing that 5 nights.
And this weekend a 3 night regular which has always been GF. Served her meal this am which had an oats/brown sugar topping and she told me she could not eat the topping. Hubby did not mention no oats or corn meal. Rice seems to be about the only grain she can eat. Tomorrow I will return to the basics with her..
Make the Baked Oatmeal with GF oatmeal, use sugar substitute, and use water instead of the milk. It is good even without the yogurt I usually slather on it. My Vegan timekeeper requests this for his breakfast. Use lots of berries.

There is no doubt that special needs are an important element of breakfast service and, at some price points, a major selling point.
There is also little doubt that the innkeeper's answer to that element is all over the map.
If having daily dietary challenges are making you grumpy, it might be time to look at where you want to be on the, "special diet service spectrum".
For us it's around 16 - 18 guests on busy peak season days. We say we will 'try' to accommodate restrictions but it's not always possible. Then there's the choice of yogurt or cereal.
We are really not interested in being a private dietician. Especially when 95% of the restrictions are choices. The same guests who 'can't eat' (fill in the blank) will have just that food item for lunch and dinner and then tell me they were 'bad'.
That's a choice, don't foist it on me.
Some guests have changed their fad diet between booking and arriving. We're ready for gluten free and suddenly it's dairy free.
It might be best if we start thinking about doing a buffet only. Guests eat what's put out and make their own choices.

phew, no food served here and I am glad.
Guests can really make an innkeeper's life difficult.

I just turned down a vegan request with multiple other allergies. Not just food, dust, etc. I simply cannot accommodate you or guarantee your safety if these are truly allergies. Letting it go…cannot be all things to all people, period.

I guess it's this sustained run of special needs that's caught us off guard. A few years ago we went to great lengths to take detailed photos and give full descriptions of our breakfasts…we are in an area known for "meat & potato" type foods, hearty country breakfast, etc. This info on the website has helped a lot but I think it's actually been some reviews praising our consideration of special needs that is bringing on the special requests.
We've also started giving detailed confirmations where a known diet issue is present, e.g. all of our hot entrees contain X, Y, and Z but we have cereal and oatmeal or scrambled eggs as alternates. We offer a fridge where they can bring whatever they need that we do not supply. We do not eat dairy or carbs ourselves so do not stock any yogurt or non-cow's milk (which we use for casseroles and baking for guests). Bread we can freeze, and we rely heavily on Udi's frozen gluten free muffins and Van's frozen gluten and dairy free waffles. The lactose things always gets me, isn't there a supplement you can take for that?
DH is luckily not at all afraid to ask "What do you normally eat for breakfast" at check in if there's any confusion…we like to have it sorted out BEFORE the guest is sitting at the dining room table making a face at the plate you're presenting to them
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I just turned down a vegan request with multiple other allergies. Not just food, dust, etc. I simply cannot accommodate you or guarantee your safety if these are truly allergies. Letting it go…cannot be all things to all people, period.
Donald Draper said:
Letting it go…cannot be all things to all people, period.
Altho I feel guilty for feeling this way when I see how easy it is for some to whip up a wonderful, hot, fully compliant breakfast, I'm with you - cannot be all things to all people.
Especially when they don't respond to requests for more info on the dietary requirements.
I do know a couple of inns I can refer to where they have never had a complaint about the food they serve even tho they serve everyone the same thing everyday. Must just be the presentation. Because there's a choice, guests seem to be able to find something they can eat. Because they make their own bread, granola, yogurt and raise their own chickens no one has a problem having quiche (eggs, dairy, gluten, cheese) and French toast at their house. (Being sarcastic but it is true.)

And this weekend a 3 night regular which has always been GF. Served her meal this am which had an oats/brown sugar topping and she told me she could not eat the topping. Hubby did not mention no oats or corn meal. Rice seems to be about the only grain she can eat. Tomorrow I will return to the basics with her..
Make the Baked Oatmeal with GF oatmeal, use sugar substitute, and use water instead of the milk. It is good even without the yogurt I usually slather on it. My Vegan timekeeper requests this for his breakfast. Use lots of berries.
I've said it before, we don't do "no soy". There is soy lecithin in every bread in the country.... it's where i draw the line.

As well you should if you are not set up to accomodate it happily. Even those of us that accommodate all diets still have to make sure folks with severe nut allergies or celiac disease realize that we are not certified against cross contamination and that we can only offer to do our best.

Donald Draper said:
Sounds like the person I had a couple times requesting a reservation. Started with my cleaning products, then laundry, then a bit more, then wanted to know about air quality - if there were factories nearby- I finally suggested that we were not suitable for her. 2 years later I swear it was the same woman - same demands. I made the elsewhere suggestion a lot sooner in the conversation. Some people should stay in their bubble or their Howard Hughes room.

Latest posts

Back