ARGH! Special Needs

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally understand your frustrations, it's getting more common every day.
One good way to solve this problem is to list the ingredients in the normal breakfast and let them choose what they want.
This can cause another problem when normal guests are all picking and choosing different things instead of 4 x Traditional Breakfast.
You do ask your guest what they want to eat for breakfast right? Or do you surprise them?.
You do ask your guest what they want to eat for breakfast right? Or do you surprise them?
Mo. Evan. It is cook's choice based upon the answers to Do you have any...... It might be an unexpected arrival (call from the road) or as with my vegan timekeeper the morning of or perhaps I did not get to the store. Breakfast depends on what I have in house and what my schedule is for after breakfast (sometimes Himself has to serve and that is another type breakfast). And I do not do short order.
That makes total sense now, I can see the problem you have with the fussy eaters.
Actually, it's worse. A real Celiac can't have cross contamination from gluten. For many, it's parts per million or per billion. Our kitchens aren't equipped for this. So, in my case, I have a separate toaster for them that I won't let anyone else use, because once used for gluten, I have to buy another one. I also stock frozen bread for them. I often use frozen products for them because I can't ensure that there will be no cross-contamination.
The same can be said about nut-allergies. I never serve peanut butter at the table, only hazelnut spread. But when I have someone with a nut allergy, we will bring out jam for them, to ensure no cross-contamination. Etc.
Now, those who are orthorexia-nervosa, it doesn't really matter. because it's entirely in their head. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa and it's a type of "control" that they are exerting on you.

For example, the "organic only" is really nice, but it costs a fortune! Well, why should I bear that in my per person budget when it more than doubles my costs? I am in a for-profit business and someone should bear the cost of a meal upgrade and it's not me. GF can be 4x as expensive if you buy commercial products, but you almost have to for someone who is Celiac because you may not be able to use your own kitchen for that.
I have to work in a small space (I can't have my fridge and pantry open at the same time, nor can I have my dishwasher and fridge open at the same time. The only appliance i have on my kitchen work space... a mixer. I don't have room for more stuff. I can't do short order. Doing personalize omelettes is pretty taxing for prep space.
Now, imagine a real Celiac, who is dairy-free and nut-free as well comes along. Now, I need to ensure that they are served without cross contamination. But is it right of me to change everyone's breakfast because of them? People come for my original breakfasts. So I need to ensure I can do two different breakfast. Ah, but then we get someone who is Vegan, so now, I have to produce a third breakfast that's now dairy, egg and meat free. Cross contamination still applies, because they won't eat anything that has traces of dairy, or milk or meat. And then someone comes along and waits until you serve them to tell you that they don't like black pepper.... and it continues.
Another factor in all this, is standard Serv Safe kind of stuff.
Trying to meet their dietary preferences is one angle
In addition, a food service can be liable for someone having a reaction, depending on how you present your facility/menu. Think restaurant menus, waiter assurances of what is/is not in a dish. Or alerting people to the possibility of cross contamination.
A long time ago, I ordered a meal. They did not bother mentioning they had stuffed the crab with shrimp (in the dyas I used to be able to eat crab). I had asked the waiter if there was shrimp in the dish and he said "no". When I opened the crab I nearly hit the ceiling I was so shocked. Shrimp is HUGE to me. At Chinese restaurants, I only order something like broccoli and pork, as spring rolls or mixed items I cannot be sure.

One good way to solve this problem is to list the ingredients in the normal breakfast and let them choose what they want.
This can cause another problem when normal guests are all picking and choosing different things instead of 4 x Traditional Breakfast.
You do ask your guest what they want to eat for breakfast right? Or do you surprise them?.
You do ask your guest what they want to eat for breakfast right? Or do you surprise them?
Mo. Evan. It is cook's choice based upon the answers to Do you have any...... It might be an unexpected arrival (call from the road) or as with my vegan timekeeper the morning of or perhaps I did not get to the store. Breakfast depends on what I have in house and what my schedule is for after breakfast (sometimes Himself has to serve and that is another type breakfast). And I do not do short order.
That makes total sense now, I can see the problem you have with the fussy eaters.
Actually, it's worse. A real Celiac can't have cross contamination from gluten. For many, it's parts per million or per billion. Our kitchens aren't equipped for this. So, in my case, I have a separate toaster for them that I won't let anyone else use, because once used for gluten, I have to buy another one. I also stock frozen bread for them. I often use frozen products for them because I can't ensure that there will be no cross-contamination.
The same can be said about nut-allergies. I never serve peanut butter at the table, only hazelnut spread. But when I have someone with a nut allergy, we will bring out jam for them, to ensure no cross-contamination. Etc.
Now, those who are orthorexia-nervosa, it doesn't really matter. because it's entirely in their head. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orthorexia_nervosa and it's a type of "control" that they are exerting on you.

For example, the "organic only" is really nice, but it costs a fortune! Well, why should I bear that in my per person budget when it more than doubles my costs? I am in a for-profit business and someone should bear the cost of a meal upgrade and it's not me. GF can be 4x as expensive if you buy commercial products, but you almost have to for someone who is Celiac because you may not be able to use your own kitchen for that.
I have to work in a small space (I can't have my fridge and pantry open at the same time, nor can I have my dishwasher and fridge open at the same time. The only appliance i have on my kitchen work space... a mixer. I don't have room for more stuff. I can't do short order. Doing personalize omelettes is pretty taxing for prep space.
Now, imagine a real Celiac, who is dairy-free and nut-free as well comes along. Now, I need to ensure that they are served without cross contamination. But is it right of me to change everyone's breakfast because of them? People come for my original breakfasts. So I need to ensure I can do two different breakfast. Ah, but then we get someone who is Vegan, so now, I have to produce a third breakfast that's now dairy, egg and meat free. Cross contamination still applies, because they won't eat anything that has traces of dairy, or milk or meat. And then someone comes along and waits until you serve them to tell you that they don't like black pepper.... and it continues.
In addition, a food service can be liable for someone having a reaction, depending on how you present your facility/menu. Think restaurant menus, waiter assurances of what is/is not in a dish. Or alerting people to the possibility of cross contamination.
A long time ago, I ordered a meal. They did not bother mentioning they had stuffed the crab with shrimp (in the dyas I used to be able to eat crab). I had asked the waiter if there was shrimp in the dish and he said "no". When I opened the crab I nearly hit the ceiling I was so shocked. Shrimp is HUGE to me. At Chinese restaurants, I only order something like broccoli and pork, as spring rolls or mixed items I cannot be sure.
Fish allergies... Worcestershire sauce has anchovies, but no one thinks about it.

Fish allergies... Worcestershire sauce has anchovies, but no one thinks about it.
Jon Sable said:
You and the Seventh Day Adventists do. I remember having this discussion years and years ago with Swirt. I said, yes, anchovies are a no no and they will ask about it, as I found all this out from those bagel chip crackers and a coworker years before that. It is like the paprika issue I have, fortunately it has to be listed, so it won't be a generic under "spices" it is always listed.

Latest posts

Back