Arghhh Ruined Sheets with Purple Massage Oil!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A couple of weeks ago I had some cyclists staying with us for a race. One crashed pretty bad and took decent chunk out of his knee. His sheets were a bit bloody in the morning (soaked through the mattress pad and onto the mattress). I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on it and let it soak and it all came right out.
I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's..
Sidetrack alert... you might want to look into mattress protectors that are impermeable. No sense in having to charge someone $900 to replace a mattress when a $30 mattress cover will do the trick. (And, yes, we learned that one the hard way.)
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - glad of this, this week as had a chap wet the bed.
The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them but as I said to them - Are you going to replace my mattress? at 2pm on a sunday when I have a guest comming in that night any time? NO? then Ill be carrying on as I am ta.
Its as I said to my neighbour there is urine, period blood, people who cough up weird stuff, cuts, nose bleeds etc, its a heck of a lot cheaper to just buy a new protector!
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them...
Why don't they like them?
they recon they are sweaty and crinkly - modern ones arnt though
Funny I forgot what this thread was about and I am thinking, who's sweaty and crinkly?
shades_smile.gif

waterproof mattress protectors

A couple of weeks ago I had some cyclists staying with us for a race. One crashed pretty bad and took decent chunk out of his knee. His sheets were a bit bloody in the morning (soaked through the mattress pad and onto the mattress). I poured hydrogen peroxide directly on it and let it soak and it all came right out.
I find it hard to believe they would make a massage oil that stains, it just defys logic. So hopefully it'll wash right out. Good luck with the PITA's..
Sidetrack alert... you might want to look into mattress protectors that are impermeable. No sense in having to charge someone $900 to replace a mattress when a $30 mattress cover will do the trick. (And, yes, we learned that one the hard way.)
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - glad of this, this week as had a chap wet the bed.
The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them but as I said to them - Are you going to replace my mattress? at 2pm on a sunday when I have a guest comming in that night any time? NO? then Ill be carrying on as I am ta.
Its as I said to my neighbour there is urine, period blood, people who cough up weird stuff, cuts, nose bleeds etc, its a heck of a lot cheaper to just buy a new protector!
I have waterproof protetors on all my mattresses - The inspection agencies in the UK don't like them...
Funny I forgot what this thread was about and I am thinking, who's sweaty and crinkly?
shades_smile.gif

Better yet- 'the modren ones aren't'. Makes me wonder if I'M sweaty & crinkly, not being one of the modern ones! Creaky & wrinkly definitely.

Mamma Smurf, what ever happened with your sheets???.
OH, the sheets are most definitely ruined along with the $35 Sealy mattess cover. The sheets are a coral color that match the drapes in the room, can't be replaced nor could you use peroxide on them. Tried oxyclean, detergent, alcohol, purple color will not budge. So about $100 worth of damage. Not sure what to do.

OH, the sheets are most definitely ruined along with the $35 Sealy mattess cover. The sheets are a coral color that match the drapes in the room, can't be replaced nor could you use peroxide on them. Tried oxyclean, detergent, alcohol, purple color will not budge. So about $100 worth of damage. Not sure what to do.
Momma Smurf said:
Did you mention this to him? He has to know you saw the stains. I would send him a letter and a bill for the damages. I am sure he would not want this to become a civil matter!

Momma Smurf said:
Did you mention this to him? He has to know you saw the stains. I would send him a letter and a bill for the damages. I am sure he would not want this to become a civil matter!
you just want to put your hands on your head and scream!
Its why every day I thank my laundry service - I may pay a bit extra but it keeps me sane!

mix equal parts of dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher soap) and hydrogen peroxide and pour it on the stains. allow to sit ... rinse ... check ... repeat ... and again ... i have never known this to fail on wine and other massage oil products, but this could be a first.
point is, it's not like a natural stain (someone bled or something) ... this is disrespectful. like those who check in and color their hair, getting the hair dye on your towels.
i would still call him, since he's already gone ... and tell him 'some kind of staining occurred' during his stay and you've been unable to remove the stains ... and the sheets cost xyz and should you put it on his credit card? see what he says. assume the best, maybe he'll surprise you.
do you have a damage clause in your policies that he signed?

I will definately look into those. Thanks!
Does anyone regularly clean their mattresses? Like steam clean? I bought a small cheap steamer with the intention of steaming curtains and mattresses but it was apparently too cheap and doesn't work.

Does anyone regularly clean their mattresses? Like steam clean? I bought a small cheap steamer with the intention of steaming curtains and mattresses but it was apparently too cheap and doesn't work.
We have our encased in a bed bug encasement (water proof) and a waterproof mattress cover on top of that. Nothing can penetrate those two things!

Bed bug encasement with a white cotton mattress cover over it, so that it can easily be washed. Never needed to clean the mattress. But I have a small rug cleaner (portable) in case I need to clean a spot on the carpet.

shades_smile.gif

Better yet- 'the modren ones aren't'. Makes me wonder if I'M sweaty & crinkly, not being one of the modern ones! Creaky & wrinkly definitely.
When you get OLD - leaky

I know someone mentioned this before but I just cannot understand steaming a mattress and making it damp. So, like everyone else we've encased our mattresses to deter bedbugs and then cover that with a puffy mattress pad. Mattress pads I wash all the time but the mattress itself is encased. I take the covers off to flip the mattresses and give them a good eyeball to make sure nothing's there, then put the covers back on and the mattress pads back.
The mattress covers have saved us a few times. Before we had them we had one bad incident where we had to charge the guest because it was willful disregard for common sense.

mix equal parts of dishwashing liquid (not dishwasher soap) and hydrogen peroxide and pour it on the stains. allow to sit ... rinse ... check ... repeat ... and again ... i have never known this to fail on wine and other massage oil products, but this could be a first.
point is, it's not like a natural stain (someone bled or something) ... this is disrespectful. like those who check in and color their hair, getting the hair dye on your towels.
i would still call him, since he's already gone ... and tell him 'some kind of staining occurred' during his stay and you've been unable to remove the stains ... and the sheets cost xyz and should you put it on his credit card? see what he says. assume the best, maybe he'll surprise you.
do you have a damage clause in your policies that he signed?.
THANK YOU!! Sea Shanty! It worked! This was massive smears and blots so in addition to using the peroxide and dishwashing detergent, I laid the bottom sheet and mattress pad out on the back yard and let the sunshine aid in the magic!!! You know, like those olden days when one used to streak your hair with peroxide and laid out in the sun? There is more of a story about these folks, but need to distance myself a bit before I write it.

I agree...steam cleaning doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Good vacuuming probably wouldn't hurt.
Layers here: Mattress encasements, waterproof pads, then thick, high quality mattress pads.
Absolutely worked to prevent what could have been a couple of bad problems...

Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff..
Momma Smurf said:
Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff.
I would have asked them to leave, refunding their money minus a reasonable cleaning/replacement fee. Explain to them that you are bed and breakfast and not an anything goes hedonistic retreat. You might lose a little money for the night, but can you afford to fix all the potential damages instead by allowing them to stay?
If you don't now, you need to clearly state in you policies how you handle damages.

Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff..
Momma Smurf said:
Well, definitely oil and we just left stained sheets on bed. We never change sheets unless a three night stay or more. And as I said we have very high end down blankets, mattalesse coverlets, and expensive comforters that we removed and substituted with cotton blankets and a topper we don't use anymore. They are going to know we noticed. These sheets are very high end jacquard custom matching the room and can't be replaced. There is all kinds other ughy stuff in the room. Like a bottle of nail polish remover I found lying on a custom wool rug, an electric foot water bath, tons of Vickie Secret bags, rose petals. Demanded to have gas fire place on for ambiance even though turned off for summer. Bunch of other PITA stuff.
I would have asked them to leave, refunding their money minus a reasonable cleaning/replacement fee. Explain to them that you are bed and breakfast and not an anything goes hedonistic retreat. You might lose a little money for the night, but can you afford to fix all the potential damages instead by allowing them to stay?
If you don't now, you need to clearly state in you policies how you handle damages.
Comming from the woman who has just charged guests for
1- new duvet
2 new pillows
1 bedroom carpet not put down 2 months ago
1 mattress protector
Total cost - $500
You behave or you pay the bills in full

THANK YOU!! Sea Shanty! It worked! This was massive smears and blots so in addition to using the peroxide and dishwashing detergent, I laid the bottom sheet and mattress pad out on the back yard and let the sunshine aid in the magic!!! You know, like those olden days when one used to streak your hair with peroxide and laid out in the sun? There is more of a story about these folks, but need to distance myself a bit before I write it.
wahoo! i am so GLAD!
you might want to launder them and treat one more time to be sure. if you've got an old fashioned clothesline, check them hanging in the sunlight to be sure it's all out.
haha peroxide hair! i actually had a natural blonde streak left of center on my head when i was a little girl. women used to scold my mother for 'bleaching' my hair ... scary idea! as i got older, it went away. but now it's coming back ... white/grey ... got a bit of a lily munster thing going on ... maybe i should comb peroxide in it.
wink_smile.gif

looking forward to reading more about these guests. i don't like the sound of someone 'demanding' that a fireplace be lit ...

wahoo! i am so GLAD!
you might want to launder them and treat one more time to be sure. if you've got an old fashioned clothesline, check them hanging in the sunlight to be sure it's all out.
haha peroxide hair! i actually had a natural blonde streak left of center on my head when i was a little girl. women used to scold my mother for 'bleaching' my hair ... scary idea! as i got older, it went away. but now it's coming back ... white/grey ... got a bit of a lily munster thing going on ... maybe i should comb peroxide in it.
wink_smile.gif

looking forward to reading more about these guests. i don't like the sound of someone 'demanding' that a fireplace be lit ...
seashanty said:
At least the folks here have asked if we could have the fireplace on 'early' as they were celebrating an anniversary. We've also done it for wedding guests. No one has demanded it.
We always turn them off Mem Day weekend. Then the temp drops 20 degrees. Every year. But they add so much heat to the room (gas fireplace) that I don't want them running all summer.

Another great ending, thanks to SS and the forum!!!
Now, let me write that trick down for the future - if I'm prepared maybe it will never happen!

wahoo! i am so GLAD!
wink_smile.gif

seashanty said:
At least the folks here have asked if we could have the fireplace on 'early' as they were celebrating an anniversary. We've also done it for wedding guests. No one has demanded it.
We always turn them off Mem Day weekend. Then the temp drops 20 degrees. Every year. But they add so much heat to the room (gas fireplace) that I don't want them running all summer.
We had a woman "demand" having us light a wood fire in the common room fireplace last year in June. I explained to her that there was not enough of a temperature gradient between the indoor temperature (68degrees) and the outdoor temperature (60 degrees) to create enough draw for a fire but she insisted.
So I laid a couple of logs in the recently-cleaned fireplace, opened the damper and smoldered a fire for her. She got the idea, finally, and did not insist again.

Back