Arrivals - Going to Try a New Tactic

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you going to contact the guests by phone with the door code? If so, what you can do then is to have a welcome note waiting inside for them directing them to their room. We tell guests what time breakfast is and what nearby restaurants are open until 11. There is an explanation to help themselves to coffee or tea and a snack.
I've got each room saved in a file and I print it off, write the guest's name at the top and pop it in an envelope with their name..
Alibi Ike said:
Are you going to contact the guests by phone with the door code? If so, what you can do then is to have a welcome note waiting inside for them directing them to their room. We tell guests what time breakfast is and what nearby restaurants are open until 11. There is an explanation to help themselves to coffee or tea and a snack.
I've got each room saved in a file and I print it off, write the guest's name at the top and pop it in an envelope with their name.
Generally we contact people by email, unless things go awry. And being that we have guests from all over, calls aren't always helpful (and the hours can be a problem, because you don't know what time zone they are in.) For example, a few days ago we had an arrival from Turkey, but they were in Vancouver at the time... that's 7/8 hours earlier to 3 hours later... So, a noon call would be 7/8PM in Turkey, but 9AM in Vancouver.
I was curious about the contact as I didn't think you were going to leave the info stuck to the front door. Our problem with late arrivals is they very frequently do not let us know they are planning to be late (or are unexpectedly delayed). And no one gets the code to come in the house until I've been paid. (Because sometimes the late arrivals are early leavers and their cc's are no good.)
We have had to resort to a note on the door from time to time. With our door lock it's easy enough to set the code to...
  • their 8, 7, 6 or 5 digit telephone number
  • the last 4 digits of their credit card
  • the last 4 digits of their telephone number
  • their postal code
  • their address number
  • a combination of their address number, apartment number and zip code
  • etc.
All of which they can usually remember, though you wouldn't believe how many people actually have to turn on their own cell phone to get their own telephone number.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
We have had to resort to a note on the door from time to time. With our door lock it's easy enough to set the code to...
  • their 8, 7, 6 or 5 digit telephone number
  • the last 4 digits of their credit card
  • the last 4 digits of their telephone number
  • their postal code
  • their address number
  • a combination of their address number, apartment number and zip code
  • etc.
All of which they can usually remember, though you wouldn't believe how many people actually have to turn on their own cell phone to get their own telephone number.
It is not unusual for people to not know their own phone number - they do not call it! It took DH a LONG time to remember our WV number - he had the Illinois number for over 20 years. He still does not always remember our zip code.
I have found here, especially with walk-ins, that a hefty % of guys do not know their own address. They'll say, '1234 Wisteria Lane' and I'll hear a little 'ahem' in the background and '4321 Wisteria Lane'. Ditto zip codes/postal codes and phone numbers. One guy barked at me, 'How often do you think I call myself?' I want to ask, 'And apparently no one ever asks for your number, either, do they?' you old curmudgeon!
I have yet to have a woman guest stumble over her address.
The worst excuse I ever heard was, 'I don't spend a lot of time there,' from a husband who didn't know where he lived.
Better yet ask them their anniversary date. LOL!
whattha.gif

Joey Bloggs said:
Better yet ask them their anniversary date. LOL!
whattha.gif
We took care of that one right off...it's inscribed on the inside of our wedding bands! (Along with the spouse's name, just in case...)
You were afraid of not remembering your spouse's name?
Eric Arthur Blair said:
You were afraid of not remembering your spouse's name?
The other way around. So it was only 'fair' that I get my ring engraved, too.

We don't have code entries, but leave personalized letters on the front door for them in which it tells them what room they are in, about the tea , coffee and snacks available and what time breakfast is served in the morning. Never had any problems doing it that way.

We don't have code entries, but leave personalized letters on the front door for them in which it tells them what room they are in, about the tea , coffee and snacks available and what time breakfast is served in the morning. Never had any problems doing it that way..
How do you prevent unauthorized entry? I live in a city with 3.5M people.

We don't have code entries, but leave personalized letters on the front door for them in which it tells them what room they are in, about the tea , coffee and snacks available and what time breakfast is served in the morning. Never had any problems doing it that way..
We are so blessed by still living in a rural area in where we can still leave our homes and cars unlocked. Would it not be nice if we all could do that again ?

We are so blessed by still living in a rural area in where we can still leave our homes and cars unlocked. Would it not be nice if we all could do that again ?
Yeah, not going to happen around here. They stole my sprinkler off my front lawn. They stole my garbage recipticle. If it's not tied down.... they will try to leave with it.

mooseberry said:
I dunnno, I would still lock my doors. Can't help it - dad was FBI. I have heard stories of theft etc. even out in the wilderness too often.
Riki

Yeah, not going to happen around here. They stole my sprinkler off my front lawn. They stole my garbage recipticle. If it's not tied down.... they will try to leave with it.
Because of your very high occupancy I would do what Ike mentioned on of their competitor's does...if you're not there by 6 pm we're giving your room away. It would at least get them to call ahead...

Because of your very high occupancy I would do what Ike mentioned on of their competitor's does...if you're not there by 6 pm we're giving your room away. It would at least get them to call ahead...
Don Draper said:
I don't recommend this! And it brings enough idjits out of the woodwork who think 'they wouldn't dare'. Confrontation at my front door is not what I want.

Sorry but rural does not help any more. Our gun club is out - the gate has a chain with 3 different locks so the separate parties - ie gas well tenders, club members, etc can each have their OWN access - well Saturday the club went out to do a work detail, cut grass, and discovered the gate had bee removed and 2 mowers stolen. the only one left was one that need tires.
Most of West Virginia is rural but for no other rteason than safety of my guests, lock my doors at night. Maybe not during the day - I am still transitioning from my no one locks doors era to the here and now. DH was from the Chicago burbs and there you lock everything and do it NOW!

Don Draper said:
I think I will live with the self check-in and a mobile phone backup. I don't want the reviews or confrontation. I want a house full of happy people.

Back