Aspiring Inn keeper saying hello!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
State farm doesn't cover B&B's and most don't...keep that momentum going!

Hey guys. Husband went to pay an insurance bill and while there I told him to ask about insurance for a bed and breakfast. They said the underwriters will not insure us without 2 years of experience!!! AND we have a built in pool that is too deep (8 feet) and it has no lift for disabled people. There goes my dream. I'm crushed! Any ideas? So BROKEN-HEARTED !!.
Vegan Farm Girl said:
Hey guys. Husband went to pay an insurance bill and while there I told him to ask about insurance for a bed and breakfast. They said the underwriters will not insure us without 2 years of experience!!! AND we have a built in pool that is too deep (8 feet) and it has no lift for disabled people. There goes my dream. I'm crushed! Any ideas? So BROKEN-HEARTED !!
Will your B & B be required to be ADA? Are you planning to have ADA room(s)? IF answer to both questions is NO - inquire IF since you will not be and are not required to be ADA will you still be required to have the ADA lift? No harm in asking.
Re insurance - our homeowners did not cover us - HOWEVER since my agent had failed to ask, I did not know until I requested a new agent due to a statement made by the original. The NEW agent asked at my request to verify and was told NO WAY - by this time I had been open for 3 years so I cannot attest to the biz plan question. I am with Erie Insurance.

Hey guys. Husband went to pay an insurance bill and while there I told him to ask about insurance for a bed and breakfast. They said the underwriters will not insure us without 2 years of experience!!! AND we have a built in pool that is too deep (8 feet) and it has no lift for disabled people. There goes my dream. I'm crushed! Any ideas? So BROKEN-HEARTED !!.
You have to go to a company that specializes in these types of properties. Be prepared for the cost, it's a lot more expensive than personal property insurance.
I'm on it Diva. I'm not a quitter. If it's possible to open one, I'm gonna do it!! Maybe they'll cut me a little slack with a rate decrease once I've been open two years? A girl can hope :(
AirBnB provides insurance as part of the rental.
B&B with 5 rental rooms or fewer + owner-occupied + ?only 1 building? are COMPLETELY EXEMPT from ADA at a federal level. You then need to check local/county/state ADA restrictions. Pool lift should not be needed if you qualify. If you are trying to blend in other services outside B&B, all bets are off. Don't let people "tell you" things or push you around. If it is not in the code, they are not really allowed to start adding things on as requirements particularly only to you.
Personally, I would avoid including the pool as part of any business; it drives up your insurance and letting other people in opens you up to all sorts of liabilities. If possible, keep it for your own personal use.

WELCOME to a great site... Don't have time to read all reply's but saw something about insurance. Va. Farm Bureau sells insurance to BnB's. Maybe the state your in has a Farm Bureau ? Best Wishes......

Vegan Farm Girl said:
Hey guys. Husband went to pay an insurance bill and while there I told him to ask about insurance for a bed and breakfast. They said the underwriters will not insure us without 2 years of experience!!! AND we have a built in pool that is too deep (8 feet) and it has no lift for disabled people. There goes my dream. I'm crushed! Any ideas? So BROKEN-HEARTED !!
Will your B & B be required to be ADA? Are you planning to have ADA room(s)? IF answer to both questions is NO - inquire IF since you will not be and are not required to be ADA will you still be required to have the ADA lift? No harm in asking.
Re insurance - our homeowners did not cover us - HOWEVER since my agent had failed to ask, I did not know until I requested a new agent due to a statement made by the original. The NEW agent asked at my request to verify and was told NO WAY - by this time I had been open for 3 years so I cannot attest to the biz plan question. I am with Erie Insurance.
I spoke with a second agent through an insurance agency called the Philly group and he also stated that his insurance company would not be able to cover a bed-and-breakfast owner that does not have two years of experience. I can always ask about the lift situation and disabilities but that doesn't help me with an 8 foot deep pool LOL ;) I had no clue this stuff was going to come at me.
Mi am waiting on a third insurance agent to call via the second agent I will look into your insurance company, GH thank you!

WELCOME to a great site... Don't have time to read all reply's but saw something about insurance. Va. Farm Bureau sells insurance to BnB's. Maybe the state your in has a Farm Bureau ? Best Wishes.......
Never tried it, but used to have Motorists Mutual for a contracting company. They were really flexible and great to work with. They have a general "Business Owners" policy that seems to cover all sorts of situations.
Wouldn't hurt to try.

WELCOME to a great site... Don't have time to read all reply's but saw something about insurance. Va. Farm Bureau sells insurance to BnB's. Maybe the state your in has a Farm Bureau ? Best Wishes.......
I just called a local Farm Bureau Mary. Right up the road. He is looking into it for me. Will call me back tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

You have to go to a company that specializes in these types of properties. Be prepared for the cost, it's a lot more expensive than personal property insurance.
I'm on it Diva. I'm not a quitter. If it's possible to open one, I'm gonna do it!! Maybe they'll cut me a little slack with a rate decrease once I've been open two years? A girl can hope :(
B&B with 5 rental rooms or fewer + owner-occupied + ?only 1 building? are COMPLETELY EXEMPT from ADA at a federal level. You then need to check local/county/state ADA restrictions. Pool lift should not be needed if you qualify. If you are trying to blend in other services outside B&B, all bets are off. Don't let people "tell you" things or push you around. If it is not in the code, they are not really allowed to start adding things on as requirements particularly only to you.
Personally, I would avoid including the pool as part of any business; it drives up your insurance and letting other people in opens you up to all sorts of liabilities. If possible, keep it for your own personal use.
The pool is the view outside of the proposed B&B rooms. The outside space is part of the pool area. We have loads of deck chairs for people to sit out by the pool. Hard to say they can't go in when its 95 degrees and 95% humid here in TN. I will see what the agent says from Farm Bureau.

Check with your local Farm Bureau agent. Ours and several others in our town have insurance with them. We can't serve alcohol though. But guests can bring their own.

There are a lot of motels, hotels, resorts... with pools -- there are companies out there that are insuring them. Try an "independent insurance agent" who handles commercial lines. We have a couple of businesses insured with Maine Mutual Group -- they provide coverage well beyond Maine, maybe even in your state.
As to the lift in the pool, I remember seeing a lot of updates and discussion of this in the Maine Innkeeper's Association news/e-mail blasts when the new regulations were being proposed. I think it was the American Hotel and Lodging Association that was lobbying hard for "reasonableness." I don't remember what the outcome was, as it didn't apply to us, but I guess I would want more than just the word of your local insurance agent. You should check with the state office that oversees disability access.

Vegan Farm Girl said:
AND we have a built in pool that is too deep (8 feet) and it has no lift for disabled people. There goes my dream. I'm crushed! Any ideas? So BROKEN-HEARTED !!
Don't give up!!! We have a NINE foot deep pool. My uncle removed the diving board to drop the insurance rate a couple years ago. Our pool has cement stairs going into it with a hand bar in the shallow end. (4 feet) In the deep end we have a metal ladder to climb out. We have two signs, one with tons of rules, and one that states that there is no life guard on duty, swim at your own risk. We also have numbers around the pool to let people know how deep it is at this spot, which we have to darken every year since the sun bleach it out. As soon as my aunt is back I'll let you know what insurance company covers us.

Vegan Farm Girl said:
What? You are listening to an insurance guy?
No way. Who are they?!
Our State Farm Insurance. I've got calls out to specialized insurance agencies. They want a resume. All I've got for a resume is 35 years as an RN. No experience in management at all but I can manage a household and children and a budget and sick people and snot 30 staff members. Wonder if THATS good enough for 'em?!!! I won't go down without a fight!!
They also want a business plan. I'll be figuring that out and getting it in writing. Sad about the pool :(. May have to put in a hot tub someday instead. How can I have people look at the pool on 95 degree days and tell them they can't use it?
When we built our B&B back 10 years ago, we had to provide a very detailed business plan, resumes and have over $75K in a reserve account or the bank would not fund us. And it's even worse now with so many B&Bs/Inns going into foreclosure - banks don't want the business any more. We have insurance through a local co-op and it's reasonable and so aren't the agents so see if there is an insurance co-op in TN that will quote you. We have a hot tub and I mentioned a pool to my agent last time I saw her and she basically said it wouldn't be welcome by the insurance company. Good luck.

I just sent you an email with the information on our insurance company. I hope they can help you build your dream into reality!!!!!

The pool is the view outside of the proposed B&B rooms. The outside space is part of the pool area. We have loads of deck chairs for people to sit out by the pool. Hard to say they can't go in when its 95 degrees and 95% humid here in TN. I will see what the agent says from Farm Bureau.
TN - Where are you in relation to Johnson City?

Vegan Farm Girl said:
I spoke with a second agent through an insurance agency called the Philly group and he also stated that his insurance company would not be able to cover a bed-and-breakfast owner that does not have two years of experience. I can always ask about the lift situation and disabilities but that doesn't help me with an 8 foot deep pool LOL ;) I had no clue this stuff was going to come at me.
Mi am waiting on a third insurance agent to call via the second agent I will look into your insurance company, GH thank you!
Look into Markel Insurance - they had no such provisions when I had my inn. Rates were not bad and the coverage was hefty. Just Goo gle the name and your location. Good luck!

In speaking with a couple of agents, and hearing from all of you kind folks, I have no worries anymore. We will find an insurance that covers us. No one has mentioned the pool lift again. It is NOT required. What IS required is that if the pool was built before 2008, it must have a cover over the intake suction valves in the bottom or there needs to be two so that a person (especially a child), would not be sucked into the bottom and drown. Our pool was built in 2011 and is in compliance. No one else spoke of any resumes, or non sense like that. We will be going before our city zoning planners in May and getting our conditional use permit. Then we can start in earnest. In the meantime, we work to improve our property everyday in preparation and READ READ READ and research
Thank you ALL so much for your sharing ideas and information. You do not know how much I appreciate y'all!!

In speaking with a couple of agents, and hearing from all of you kind folks, I have no worries anymore. We will find an insurance that covers us. No one has mentioned the pool lift again. It is NOT required. What IS required is that if the pool was built before 2008, it must have a cover over the intake suction valves in the bottom or there needs to be two so that a person (especially a child), would not be sucked into the bottom and drown. Our pool was built in 2011 and is in compliance. No one else spoke of any resumes, or non sense like that. We will be going before our city zoning planners in May and getting our conditional use permit. Then we can start in earnest. In the meantime, we work to improve our property everyday in preparation and READ READ READ and research
Thank you ALL so much for your sharing ideas and information. You do not know how much I appreciate y'all!!.
Coming back to this thread a little late but glad you have found some reliable information.
We were with Wolfe Ins. who specializes with B&B's. We changed last year as they reduced their coverage in our area.
That sent us into a tail spin as very few companies really understand our business.
We went with an independent who searched many companies til they found one that covered us at the best price.
The Chair lift thing only comes into play if you must be ADA approved.
Good luck! Looking forward to your updates as you move ahead.

Thank you ALL so much for your sharing ideas and information. You do not know how much I appreciate y'all!!.
Before you go any further, do you have permits from local zoning etc. to run a B&B? Or will you need to seek a variance. Don't do anything until you have that issue settled.

Back