Aspiring Inn keeper saying hello!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In speaking with a couple of agents, and hearing from all of you kind folks, I have no worries anymore. We will find an insurance that covers us. No one has mentioned the pool lift again. It is NOT required. What IS required is that if the pool was built before 2008, it must have a cover over the intake suction valves in the bottom or there needs to be two so that a person (especially a child), would not be sucked into the bottom and drown. Our pool was built in 2011 and is in compliance. No one else spoke of any resumes, or non sense like that. We will be going before our city zoning planners in May and getting our conditional use permit. Then we can start in earnest. In the meantime, we work to improve our property everyday in preparation and READ READ READ and research
Thank you ALL so much for your sharing ideas and information. You do not know how much I appreciate y'all!!.
Before you go any further, do you have permits from local zoning etc. to run a B&B? Or will you need to seek a variance. Don't do anything until you have that issue settled.
Oh of course that's first!! We have our meeting with the city on May 19th. I won't actually begin coverage of the B&B till we open next year, early in the year. Just looking at prices and coverage right now.

In speaking with a couple of agents, and hearing from all of you kind folks, I have no worries anymore. We will find an insurance that covers us. No one has mentioned the pool lift again. It is NOT required. What IS required is that if the pool was built before 2008, it must have a cover over the intake suction valves in the bottom or there needs to be two so that a person (especially a child), would not be sucked into the bottom and drown. Our pool was built in 2011 and is in compliance. No one else spoke of any resumes, or non sense like that. We will be going before our city zoning planners in May and getting our conditional use permit. Then we can start in earnest. In the meantime, we work to improve our property everyday in preparation and READ READ READ and research
Thank you ALL so much for your sharing ideas and information. You do not know how much I appreciate y'all!!.
Hi again, vegan
I had considered nursing a long time ago (was a Bio major). I think one nice thing about your field is, it is one of the few that has serious part time or flex ability, should you decide to ramp up, such as during slow/winter season, etc. But I get you, that it can be a burn-out field.
Regarding pool life not being required (in USA), unless the B&B is (to my understanding):
- 5 or fewer units, all units in one building only, owner occupied, (federal ADA requirements). So if a B&B and a rental cabin, this can open you up to ADA requirements.
- not further bound by state/local restrictions of any type.
- not performing any NON B&B business onsite, especially related to pool.
You absolutely MAY be required to have pool lifts. It does not matter what you are told. Also as you are likely aware, there are often strict rules pertaining to wall/barriers (height, gate, sign(s), construction) to keep out children, not just something to keep them from becoming sucked into a water intake.
I have been in places where landlords drained and deactivated their onsite pool, just to avoid the liabilities.

Hi again, vegan
I had considered nursing a long time ago (was a Bio major). I think one nice thing about your field is, it is one of the few that has serious part time or flex ability, should you decide to ramp up, such as during slow/winter season, etc. But I get you, that it can be a burn-out field.
Regarding pool life not being required (in USA), unless the B&B is (to my understanding):
- 5 or fewer units, all units in one building only, owner occupied, (federal ADA requirements). So if a B&B and a rental cabin, this can open you up to ADA requirements.
You absolutely MAY be required to have pool lifts. It does not matter what you are told. Also as you are likely aware, there are often strict rules pertaining to wall/barriers (height, gate, sign(s), construction) to keep out children, not just something to keep them from becoming sucked into a water intake.
I have been in places where landlords drained and deactivated their onsite pool, just to avoid the liabilities.
Not planning on accepting children under the age of 13. So far I have not encountered any big problems from insurance about pools. They are telling me about the signage, the marking of depths and we are planning to remove our slide. We will have only 2 rooms with a possible third in the future. I have two 11 year olds who love the pool (and so do I!) we will make it work.

Hi again, vegan
Not planning on accepting children under the age of 13. So far I have not encountered any big problems from insurance about pools. They are telling me about the signage, the marking of depths and we are planning to remove our slide. We will have only 2 rooms with a possible third in the future. I have two 11 year olds who love the pool (and so do I!) we will make it work.
Hi, Vegan
The pool requirements have nothing to do with the Insurance company. It has to do with the zoning/code enforcement of your jurisdiction - and most jurisdictions are now following the UCC/ICC codes, which are pretty much boilerplate and apply everywhere used.
The pool safety requirements are not affected by your policies of accepting children or not. Even if no one uses the pool but it has water in it - the barrier/fence/gate and other pool requirements apply even to anyone or child who stays there, visits there, or may just wander on to your property.
When you have your B&B architect, construction and/or zoning/code officer review your plans and perform inspections, they will bring all of this up. As a few said - the earlier you talk to zoning and code enforcement, the better.
Any way, good luck with your plans. I am also in the setup mode. Our offer on the property is dangling, because the zoning officer has been unavailable for several weeks and the seller is trying to arrange an inspection of the property (was vacant for awhile and the CO expired).

Back