Bedandbreakfast.com announces award winners 2008-2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my mind? (you mean the one that I am losing?? LOL).
I guess I am really lucky to have the International hotel experience that I have had, I also used to train res and sales depts on sales* and on systems so that helps too ..... but I really do try to out of my way for my guests. It's more a service thing than a "property" thing, my Inn is very ordinary, lots of stuff that needs doing. I think the fact that I am pet friendly helps, flex breakfast times, meals other than breakfast etc.
Ref the sales, on some occassions when I have thought I may be able to get away, I have called some Inns and without even disclosing that I am an Innkeeper, have been amazed at how cold / disinterested / rate centric they are. No effort to find out about needs ("our prices start at $ ..........." is about all the info I got)..
agoodman1963 said:
Ref the sales, on some occassions when I have thought I may be able to get away, I have called some Inns and without even disclosing that I am an Innkeeper, have been amazed at how cold / disinterested / rate centric they are. No effort to find out about needs ("our prices start at $ ..........." is about all the info I got).
When you get a phone call inquiring about rooms that are available, how do you start off your end of the conversation? I find that most guests head right for price. I may try to describe the rooms and mention the breakfast and I keep getting interrupted, 'Right, sure, but what's the price?'
Just had 4 walk-ins. 2 were happy with the place, looked at the rooms, made nice, etc. ONE member of the party poked his nose in one room and said, 'Let's keep going.' We watched them drive next door, possibly get out and go inside (I can't see around the building) and then saw the car drive off. They certainly never saw a room over there, and the price is about $100 more than here. Whenever I see that, I say, 'Hotel people.' These folks actually left town, tho. They turned toward the highway when they left. Next town south of here the prices are over $300/night but it's really 'glam' so that may be what they were looking for.

I guess I am really lucky to have the International hotel experience that I have had, I also used to train res and sales depts on sales* and on systems so that helps too ..... but I really do try to out of my way for my guests. It's more a service thing than a "property" thing, my Inn is very ordinary, lots of stuff that needs doing. I think the fact that I am pet friendly helps, flex breakfast times, meals other than breakfast etc.
Ref the sales, on some occassions when I have thought I may be able to get away, I have called some Inns and without even disclosing that I am an Innkeeper, have been amazed at how cold / disinterested / rate centric they are. No effort to find out about needs ("our prices start at $ ..........." is about all the info I got)..
agoodman1963 said:
Ref the sales, on some occassions when I have thought I may be able to get away, I have called some Inns and without even disclosing that I am an Innkeeper, have been amazed at how cold / disinterested / rate centric they are. No effort to find out about needs ("our prices start at $ ..........." is about all the info I got).
When you get a phone call inquiring about rooms that are available, how do you start off your end of the conversation? I find that most guests head right for price. I may try to describe the rooms and mention the breakfast and I keep getting interrupted, 'Right, sure, but what's the price?'
Just had 4 walk-ins. 2 were happy with the place, looked at the rooms, made nice, etc. ONE member of the party poked his nose in one room and said, 'Let's keep going.' We watched them drive next door, possibly get out and go inside (I can't see around the building) and then saw the car drive off. They certainly never saw a room over there, and the price is about $100 more than here. Whenever I see that, I say, 'Hotel people.' These folks actually left town, tho. They turned toward the highway when they left. Next town south of here the prices are over $300/night but it's really 'glam' so that may be what they were looking for.
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Not to be too blunt here, but my time is worth something. MAJORITY of calls (this is my place here does not apply to everyone) are calls because they #1 READ we do not accept dogs but want to twist our arm, #2 want to pack two couples in a room or a mom dad and 4 kids, #3 "do you have a hot tub?" Or "Are you on the lake with a view?" Something to that oddball nature.
Majority of callers do not end up with a room being booked - so for this reason my first question is "how many in the party?" and "do you have a specific date in mind?" All of these cut to the chase. We all do it, we have to.
Otherwise "Tell me about the room?" "How much does it cost to stay there?" These questions typically end in NO BOOKING.

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Not to be too blunt here, but my time is worth something. MAJORITY of calls (this is my place here does not apply to everyone) are calls because they #1 READ we do not accept dogs but want to twist our arm, #2 want to pack two couples in a room or a mom dad and 4 kids, #3 "do you have a hot tub?" Or "Are you on the lake with a view?" Something to that oddball nature.
Majority of callers do not end up with a room being booked - so for this reason my first question is "how many in the party?" and "do you have a specific date in mind?" All of these cut to the chase. We all do it, we have to.
Otherwise "Tell me about the room?" "How much does it cost to stay there?" These questions typically end in NO BOOKING.
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Here's one from today...guest calls to book 1 room for 3 adults. I explain the rooms we have that will fit 3, he says, 'Can you tell all of that to my wife now,' and hands the phone to her. She has to know who I am, what the rooms are like and do we actually have 2 connecting rooms, not one room with two beds? Her friend talked to a lovely man this morning about the rooms. (Not this lovely man here, but I'll reel her in if I can!) OK, I am supposed to be leaving to go to the foodie fest and I'm on the phone for 21:34 with this couple, who do not book. They need to call their friend, will I be home later on. I explain I won't and she may speak with my husband. 'You're the owner? How big is this place?'
Meanwhile, my ride is waiting.
Tonight, I answer the phone and it is the friend. She says she spoke with a lovely man this afternoon (FINALLY, this is MY lovely man she's talking about!) and she wants me to explain the whole situation all over again. In the meantime hubs is trying to do a check-in so I say I have to call her back. Which is ok with her.
I call back and spend another 19:46 on the phone telling her everything I told the friends this morning. She says, 'I have to talk with my friends.' I say, 'I DID talk with your friends this morning. They said it sounded wonderful but they had to talk with YOU.' She says, 'You talked with them? OK, let's book.'
2 rooms, 3 nights, mid week in Nov. $3.60 in phone calls (already, I'm sure they'll call again).

agoodman1963 said:
"When you get a phone call inquiring about rooms that are available, how do you start off your end of the conversation?"
In the program I used to teach, the first thing we told the agents was that the guest was calling you to buy - your job is to sell. Yes there will always be the "Just looking" but in most cases you need to SELL your place to the guests.
The agents (and yes yes I know B&B's are different from hotels but we are really selling the same product, a room, and a breakfast) were taught to SELL the product.
I always try to start off with "My name is Adele, I am the owner I'll be happy to give you the information, are you coming to the area for something special / on business / for a getaway? (this can usually be determined from something they have said or you can phrase it however you like).
The reason I mention that I am the owner is because I have many guests tell me that they do not want to stay somewhere that the owner is not personally involved .. not always possible but I'm just passing on the info.
Based on how many nights / how many rooms / how many guests, if they need a room for multiple nights / multiple rooms or my occupancy is wide open, I may say "well the normal rate is x but because you are (1) taking 2 rooms (2) staying 4 nights (3) are single occupancy (or I have lots of empty rooms and the res is for a date in the very near future), I would be happy to offer you a special (the magic word) rate of $$$.
IMMEDIATELY tell them the rate includes a full breakfast (and excludes taxes. (and any extras you include).
Wherever possible the rate should be the last thing you give, and if the person is just a hurry up and give me the damn rate, you can either just give it or try to explain to the guest that you are trying to explain the features of your Inn in order that they can understand the "value" of what they are getting (Value = another magic word)
Of course if this is a high occupancy time for you, then you would not be thinking of discounting, which is when you need to sell the features / amenities more than ever. Also, if I know it;s a business guest, I may not discount although if they are a multi night stay or single occ, I may do that anyway.
Personally I like to ask them before giving them the rate if the have seen pictures of the rooms on the website and did they have a room that they preferred ..remind them that all rooms have private bath and TV (or in the case of business guests - wireless)..... unless of course I only have one room left in which case you can always use "well I am really full that week but I do have the x room to offer you". Remeber when you are selling your Inn you want to point out your strengths and differentiate yourself from the competition (in my case "I am the closest and nicest place to Andersonville / Weyerhaeuser etc".
The other thing that is always forgotten is to ASK for the reservation. "May I go ahead and make the reservation for you?"
If the guest ums and ahs, and you did not previously discount, you can always jump in with a discount at that stage, but to me that always seems like a desperate negotiation and I would rather offer the discount based on the factors I had mentioned previously.
The best way to get better at this is to call a few places (please don't call me ...) - call a few big hotels, a few small hotels and a few B&B's and listen to how they handle your request ... at the end of the calls you will be attuned to what they did well at and what they could be better at. And probably pick up a few things that you never realized that you were doing.
The hotels that this program (http://www.signatureworldwide.com/index.aspx) increased their conversion rate on reservations 20-60%. No kidding. No you don't have to get the program you just need to use basic selling techniques.
Hope this helps

agoodman1963 said:
"When you get a phone call inquiring about rooms that are available, how do you start off your end of the conversation?"
In the program I used to teach, the first thing we told the agents was that the guest was calling you to buy - your job is to sell. Yes there will always be the "Just looking" but in most cases you need to SELL your place to the guests.
The agents (and yes yes I know B&B's are different from hotels but we are really selling the same product, a room, and a breakfast) were taught to SELL the product.
I always try to start off with "My name is Adele, I am the owner I'll be happy to give you the information, are you coming to the area for something special / on business / for a getaway? (this can usually be determined from something they have said or you can phrase it however you like).
The reason I mention that I am the owner is because I have many guests tell me that they do not want to stay somewhere that the owner is not personally involved .. not always possible but I'm just passing on the info.
Based on how many nights / how many rooms / how many guests, if they need a room for multiple nights / multiple rooms or my occupancy is wide open, I may say "well the normal rate is x but because you are (1) taking 2 rooms (2) staying 4 nights (3) are single occupancy (or I have lots of empty rooms and the res is for a date in the very near future), I would be happy to offer you a special (the magic word) rate of $$$.
IMMEDIATELY tell them the rate includes a full breakfast (and excludes taxes. (and any extras you include).
Wherever possible the rate should be the last thing you give, and if the person is just a hurry up and give me the damn rate, you can either just give it or try to explain to the guest that you are trying to explain the features of your Inn in order that they can understand the "value" of what they are getting (Value = another magic word)
Of course if this is a high occupancy time for you, then you would not be thinking of discounting, which is when you need to sell the features / amenities more than ever. Also, if I know it;s a business guest, I may not discount although if they are a multi night stay or single occ, I may do that anyway.
Personally I like to ask them before giving them the rate if the have seen pictures of the rooms on the website and did they have a room that they preferred ..remind them that all rooms have private bath and TV (or in the case of business guests - wireless)..... unless of course I only have one room left in which case you can always use "well I am really full that week but I do have the x room to offer you". Remeber when you are selling your Inn you want to point out your strengths and differentiate yourself from the competition (in my case "I am the closest and nicest place to Andersonville / Weyerhaeuser etc".
The other thing that is always forgotten is to ASK for the reservation. "May I go ahead and make the reservation for you?"
If the guest ums and ahs, and you did not previously discount, you can always jump in with a discount at that stage, but to me that always seems like a desperate negotiation and I would rather offer the discount based on the factors I had mentioned previously.
The best way to get better at this is to call a few places (please don't call me ...) - call a few big hotels, a few small hotels and a few B&B's and listen to how they handle your request ... at the end of the calls you will be attuned to what they did well at and what they could be better at. And probably pick up a few things that you never realized that you were doing.
The hotels that this program (http://www.signatureworldwide.com/index.aspx) increased their conversion rate on reservations 20-60%. No kidding. No you don't have to get the program you just need to use basic selling techniques.
Hope this helps
In the 10 years I had 3 guestrooms with a shared bath I had 9 honeymoons, countless anniversaries and other special occasions, and many, many first-timers. And last Saturday a couple who were here 3 times when it was 3 with and did not know about the new pvt bath, called from minutes away to see if we had availability - we did, in the room w/the new bath! They were wanting to stay regardless.

agoodman1963 said:
Hope this helps
Thanks.
I'm going to try a few things you mentioned.
Funny thing here is if I ask if they have seen the rooms on the website, I get back, 'You have a website? I'll look at it and call you back.' Arrgh. Because they don't call back I think there must be something wrong with the website or maybe it is that they found the dates they wanted were full.
I do ask for the rez most of the time and get back, 'I'm not ready to book now, I have to talk to...' So they are shopping, or they are not hearing what they wanted to. Because there are 10 B&B's here as well as 6-7 100 room hotels, there's a lot of 'shopping' to do. I'm going to write myself a script. Even after 4 years I know where I've 'let one get away' because they pushed me to just give the price. Then again, if price is everything maybe they would not have been happy here.

Congratulations! I never understood how these awards work? I know that people vote on them but are there ballots at individual B&Bs or what??
Just curious....
NO..those WERE the Arrington Awards. The BedandBreakfast.com ones I believe are just picked by BANDB.com based on number of reviews and what they are seeing in the reviews. Maybe sandy S. can shed some light on the selections.
Ahhh...OK. I didn't know if the bandb.com awards worked the same way since I'm new to signing up with them. Thanks for the info!

I have to admit that I am not the best with phone sales here as I seem to get calls when I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off AND most of our reservations are made online. I would say that with the phone calls that I've gotten, the first question is "What are your rates?" and the caller doesn't want to go any further even if I ask if I can tell them a bit more about the place. So it goes... My limited experience here has shown me that the bargain hunters are not really looking for a B&B experience.
Then there was the call the other day, "What time do you start serving breakfast?" Me: "Do you have a reservation?" Caller: "No." Me: "I'm terribly sorry but we can only serve breakfast to our registered guests. I hope you can stay with us sometime." Caller: "Gee that's too bad, the pictures of the breakfast look really good!" haha! I have no idea why someone would think that we're a restaurant.
I must be doing a few things right with service...I have guests that extend their stay and I have folks here for 3 days that are already booked for 3 nights when they come back in a month. Yippee!
teeth_smile.gif

Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif
I am going to be in our large metro city in a few weeks to do something special with our son for my birthday. I decided that instead of sleeping on his futon that I would stay for 2 nights at a very nice Select Registry inn within a few blocks of him. NO online reservations. I sent the room availability request (through Select Registry - they don't have their one) on Friday. I got an automated reply but nothing more. It's now Sunday!
No wonder folks are surprised when we answer their emails quickly or they get a rez confirmation quickly!

I have to admit that I am not the best with phone sales here as I seem to get calls when I'm running around like a chicken with its head cut off AND most of our reservations are made online. I would say that with the phone calls that I've gotten, the first question is "What are your rates?" and the caller doesn't want to go any further even if I ask if I can tell them a bit more about the place. So it goes... My limited experience here has shown me that the bargain hunters are not really looking for a B&B experience.
Then there was the call the other day, "What time do you start serving breakfast?" Me: "Do you have a reservation?" Caller: "No." Me: "I'm terribly sorry but we can only serve breakfast to our registered guests. I hope you can stay with us sometime." Caller: "Gee that's too bad, the pictures of the breakfast look really good!" haha! I have no idea why someone would think that we're a restaurant.
I must be doing a few things right with service...I have guests that extend their stay and I have folks here for 3 days that are already booked for 3 nights when they come back in a month. Yippee!
teeth_smile.gif

Yup, lots of people start off with "what's the rate" cause they are so darn used to calling a place and that's the first thing they are given.
When I first started on that program, it was really tough avoiding just answering with the rate - just change the subject and go to "I'd be happy to give you that information - what brings you to the area?" In my case I avoid the exact amounts by telling them that rates vary depend on the room they pick and whether it's weekend or weekday, and ask them to tell me a little more about what they are looking for.
Once you know if it's business (well we have wireless internet and offer a flexible or packed breakfast ... or whatever your business guests love/need) or leisure (oh we are so close to the historic downtown where you can go shopping ... or whatever..) that it becomes 2nd nature.
Again, you won't generally have 100% conversion, but you really should notice an increase.
as you say, you're doing something right anyway, but we can always use more resas!!

agoodman1963 said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Here's one from today...guest calls to book 1 room for 3 adults. I explain the rooms we have that will fit 3, he says, 'Can you tell all of that to my wife now,' and hands the phone to her. She has to know who I am, what the rooms are like and do we actually have 2 connecting rooms, not one room with two beds? Her friend talked to a lovely man this morning about the rooms. (Not this lovely man here, but I'll reel her in if I can!) OK, I am supposed to be leaving to go to the foodie fest and I'm on the phone for 21:34 with this couple, who do not book. They need to call their friend, will I be home later on. I explain I won't and she may speak with my husband. 'You're the owner? How big is this place?'
Tonight, I answer the phone and it is the friend. She says she spoke with a lovely man this afternoon (FINALLY, this is MY lovely man she's talking about!) and she wants me to explain the whole situation all over again. In the meantime hubs is trying to do a check-in so I say I have to call her back. Which is ok with her.
I call back and spend another 19:46 on the phone telling her everything I told the friends this morning. She says, 'I have to talk with my friends.' I say, 'I DID talk with your friends this morning. They said it sounded wonderful but they had to talk with YOU.' She says, 'You talked with them? OK, let's book.'
2 rooms, 3 nights, mid week in Nov. $3.60 in phone calls (already, I'm sure they'll call again).
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
agoodman1963 said:
Update...the couple called last night at 11 PM (I didn't answer). They called again at 8 AM. I have a few more weeks to go before they arrive...

Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif
I am going to be in our large metro city in a few weeks to do something special with our son for my birthday. I decided that instead of sleeping on his futon that I would stay for 2 nights at a very nice Select Registry inn within a few blocks of him. NO online reservations. I sent the room availability request (through Select Registry - they don't have their one) on Friday. I got an automated reply but nothing more. It's now Sunday!
No wonder folks are surprised when we answer their emails quickly or they get a rez confirmation quickly!
BINGO!!

agoodman1963 said:
I do not have some BOGO certificates if you want one - check if there is an inn that will accept one in the area you are going at iloveinns.com
I'm assuming you meant "I DO have some BOGO certificates"??
regular_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
Is this the place that's for sale?
Guess you won't hear back from them until Monday, they must take the weekend off from email??
omg_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif
I do have some BOGO certificates if you want one - check if there is an inn that will accept one in the area you are going at iloveinns.com

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
Guess you won't hear back from them until Monday, they must take the weekend off from email??
omg_smile.gif

I didn't want to get into the name of the place but you're right
regular_smile.gif
I was surprised that they have been in business so long without online reservations. Also, you can't request a room...it's just a form for the dates you want.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif
I was surprised that they have been in business so long without online reservations. Also, you can't request a room...it's just a form for the dates you want.

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
The place I'm staying over Thanksgiving has no online reservations, no online availability. They don't take cc's. They have only once answered the phone the first time I've called. They usually take about 4 days (or more) to call me back.
Yet I'm going to stay there.
So if an inn is Select Registry, they know they've got a good thing and people will come.
=)
Kk.

agoodman1963 said:
Hope this helps
I agree with a lot of what you have posted here.
I read an interesting book, Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, which includes some of the concepts you have incorporated into your marketing pitch.
Some of the concepts are Reciprocation (give them something small, and they'll give you something big in return, which is why car dealerships give out little freebies... people feel the need to reciprocate the gift and they buy there instead of elsewhere), Commitment and Consistency (we want to be seen as consistent. So a telemarketer starts by asking, "How are you doing today?" When we say "fine" then we've begun in a positive vein. If he can start by saying "Yes, that's my name" and "Yes, I'm fine" and "Yes, the weather here's OK" then he's got a trend he can cash on.) Social Proof (the old, everyone is doing it... lame but it works). Liking (we buy things from people we like, and we like people who are clean, pretty, intelligent, rich... who call us by name, look us in the eye, smile at us, imitate our stance and posture... lame, but it works) Authority (we listen to those in authority. Even when we know it's just an actor in a white coat, it still works.) Scarcity (oh no! It's almost gone! Better buy it now!)
Last year the YMCA had a special membership drive. My salesman was fabulous on all levels, without ever having read the book. They started by giving you a survey which asked things like where you lived... so that you couldn't argue it was too far away or too inconvenient. The special was for that day only. The guy was handsome and friendly and remembered my name. He was willing to give me a special deal, just for me if I bought from him.
So, when we offer a little discount, it works because of the law of Reciprocation. When we're friendly and likeable on the phone, that works, too, because of Liking. When we talk about our area, our town, or B&B's in general with Authority, that helps convince the ones on the fence. When we say we have only a few rooms left... both Scarcity and Social Proof kick in. When we ask them (as ag63 does) what they need/want and say, we have this, and this, and that... Commitment and Consistency also begin to work, especially when they're saying yes yes yes (or just hearing, yes yes yes) and we say "May I take the reservation?" Of course! Where else would they stay?
The book also talks about some of our programmed "tapes" like expensive = good.
=)
Kk.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
The place I'm staying over Thanksgiving has no online reservations, no online availability. They don't take cc's. They have only once answered the phone the first time I've called. They usually take about 4 days (or more) to call me back.
Yet I'm going to stay there.
So if an inn is Select Registry, they know they've got a good thing and people will come.
=)
Kk.
Well, this person will not...I already booked another place.
I find that to be poor service. You shouldn't have to wait almost 3 days for a response on a reservation inquiry.

Back