Bedandbreakfast.com announces award winners 2008-2009

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif
I am going to be in our large metro city in a few weeks to do something special with our son for my birthday. I decided that instead of sleeping on his futon that I would stay for 2 nights at a very nice Select Registry inn within a few blocks of him. NO online reservations. I sent the room availability request (through Select Registry - they don't have their one) on Friday. I got an automated reply but nothing more. It's now Sunday!
No wonder folks are surprised when we answer their emails quickly or they get a rez confirmation quickly!
Samster said:
I am going to be in our large metro city in a few weeks to do something special with our son for my birthday. I decided that instead of sleeping on his futon that I would stay for 2 nights at a very nice Select Registry inn within a few blocks of him. NO online reservations. I sent the room availability request (through Select Registry - they don't have their one) on Friday. I got an automated reply but nothing more. It's now Sunday!
No wonder folks are surprised when we answer their emails quickly or they get a rez confirmation quickly!
Is this the place that's for sale?
Guess you won't hear back from them until Monday, they must take the weekend off from email??
omg_smile.gif

I didn't want to get into the name of the place but you're right
regular_smile.gif
I was surprised that they have been in business so long without online reservations. Also, you can't request a room...it's just a form for the dates you want.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
I was surprised that they have been in business so long without online reservations. Also, you can't request a room...it's just a form for the dates you want.
The place I'm staying over Thanksgiving has no online reservations, no online availability. They don't take cc's. They have only once answered the phone the first time I've called. They usually take about 4 days (or more) to call me back.
Yet I'm going to stay there.
So if an inn is Select Registry, they know they've got a good thing and people will come.
=)
Kk.
Well, this person will not...I already booked another place.
I find that to be poor service. You shouldn't have to wait almost 3 days for a response on a reservation inquiry.
Samster said:
I find that to be poor service. You shouldn't have to wait almost 3 days for a response on a reservation inquiry.
I agree 100%.
=)
Kk.

i have on occassion called a nearby place to see if they have a room, but so many times, the guests i can't accommodate don't follow through. i don't know why. so i have stopped calling and i just give all the info to the potential guest. because i have had innkeepers call, pretty miffed at me, that the guest never showed. felt bad about that. have had it happen to me the other way around, too. someone 'desperate' for a room doesn't show. desperate with options i guess.

Recently I had a guest needing 4 rooms for a funeral, I only had 2 avail, guests were on their way down already and I said I would make some calls and try to find other rooms for them. Called another Inn that I have sent people to in the past. Husband at the Inn said he had to check w/wife (guests were looking for rooms around $85 and their rooms around $90-$110, bear in mind this is a Sunday night and they are EMPTY.) I also offer to do all the breakfasts here.
He calls me back says he will take the rate for a min of 4 rooms. I explain again I will already be accommodating 2 rooms. I say I will provide guests with their tel number and they can talk directly. My guests arrive, drop their bags, straight out to funeral home, don't see them until breakfast.
That night I get a VM from the Inn "call us". Their phone is busy for the next hour. I send an email, sorry can't get through to you. Next morning I get a call from their Inn - what happened to our guests? I say what?? I told you I would give them your details and they woudl call you directly (I did not say (1) they probably could not get through and (2) if you were as rude to them as you were to me, they probably found somewhere else)
The Inn tells me "next time don't even call us, if you are full then just provide the guests with our tel number and we will deal with it"
YEAH RIGHT. LMAO. Last referral they get from me. Looking at their occupancy they are nearly empty every night. SURPRISE
devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
Guess you won't hear back from them until Monday, they must take the weekend off from email??
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
The place I'm staying over Thanksgiving has no online reservations, no online availability. They don't take cc's. They have only once answered the phone the first time I've called. They usually take about 4 days (or more) to call me back.
So if an inn is Select Registry, they know they've got a good thing and people will come.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
That would be an inaccurate generalization. SR is just another marketing arm and does not guarantee occupancy. I know of at least one SR inn up for sale because its numbers aren't working. Many SR innkeepers are complaining about occupancy downturns just like non-SR members. That SR innkeeper isn't working their business very well.
Part of the SR inspection process covers the making of the reservation - since they are anonymous inspectors, you don't know if the person on the phone is an inspector or not. Your manner, level of information given, etc. is all graded for the inspection. In our initial inspection, we lost some points because DH didn't explain enough about the different rooms. Our inspector made a from-the-road phone reservation on Sunday afternoon for arrival in a few hours - we are somewhat reluctant always with those bookings.
You could drop a comment to the SR home office about the lack of response if you felt like it.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
You're talking the snob factor here. However, the snob factor doesn't work on everyone. Samster isn't buying the 'We're so good, you want to stay here so badly, we'll get around to you when we feel like it' attitude.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
You're talking the snob factor here. However, the snob factor doesn't work on everyone. Samster isn't buying the 'We're so good, you want to stay here so badly, we'll get around to you when we feel like it' attitude.
Bree said:
What arrogant, entitled people (otherwise known as snobs) have you met that would be willing to wait 4 days for an answer to an inquiry?
confused_smile.gif

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
What arrogant, entitled people (otherwise known as snobs) have you met that would be willing to wait 4 days for an answer to an inquiry?
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
I think she means the B&B people are snobs, not the guests.
I'm staying at this B&B over Thanksgiving that took at least 4 days after my initial phone call. He called me while I was at an 8th grade football game. We discussed it and he had to check with his wife about their Thanksgiving plans and whether they were open. I called a week or so later and left another message. They eventually called back, said they were open... by which time our plans had changed from two nights to one. We discussed rooms and I said I'd check with my dh about our choice. I called them back that same day and left a message about which room, asking them to let me know the total cost with tax (they don't take cc's, I need to send a check, and I want to send the full amount, not just a deposit). They didn't call back. A week or two later I called and they actually answered the phone, so I got the amount... I still haven't mailed the check, though.
They're not snobs, they're just the only place in town besides the Cheapo Chain. They have at least one small child and a pizza restaurant, if I remember correctly. I think their main season is summertime and they don't push much in the off season.
=)
Kk.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
The same people willing to be put on a 6 months' waiting list for a seat at a restaurant. The idea is, if the PLACE is so good that they are turning people away, it's a badge of honor to get in. If you have to wait in line, patiently or not, it's part of the experience. "I can't believe we waited 4 DAYS for them to call back but we got IN!"
Not knowing the inn in question, the normal operating mode, whether they do this all the time, had an emergency, etc I'm mostly commenting on the statement that it is a 'Select Registry Inn' implying that either they should have better communication skills or that they are worth the wait regardless of how long that is.
Personal opinion is if I wait more than 10 minutes to respond to an email or call, that person has booked already somewhere else. I won't wait, either. Overnight is my limit. We have tended to stay at places that have neither online booking nor 800 #'s. I waited a few days once for a reply to my email request for a room and then I booked elsewhere for the group I had with me. NEVER heard from the original place.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
I'm staying at this B&B over Thanksgiving that took at least 4 days after my initial phone call. He called me while I was at an 8th grade football game. We discussed it and he had to check with his wife about their Thanksgiving plans and whether they were open. I called a week or so later and left another message. They eventually called back, said they were open... by which time our plans had changed from two nights to one. We discussed rooms and I said I'd check with my dh about our choice. I called them back that same day and left a message about which room, asking them to let me know the total cost with tax (they don't take cc's, I need to send a check, and I want to send the full amount, not just a deposit). They didn't call back. A week or two later I called and they actually answered the phone, so I got the amount... I still haven't mailed the check, though.
They're not snobs, they're just the only place in town besides the Cheapo Chain. They have at least one small child and a pizza restaurant, if I remember correctly. I think their main season is summertime and they don't push much in the off season.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Aaah, yes - could be. Could be they have so much business they don't feel the need to respond to inquiries. Could be they didn't get the email, somehow - we got a response once months after an inquiry to a B&B in Savannah that the email had been 'lost' and somehow just recovered. Could be they sent a reply email and it went astray, through human error or computer error, and they don't realize it. They should just hope that Samster is not a secret SR inspector because they will get demerits for the problem.
When we were trying to book a room here at our Inn when we were Inn-shopping, it took three days for the owner to respond to my request for a room. The voicemail I left did not include the information that I was interested in buying it, although when she finally called me back I told her that. I wasn't surprised to find out there were some other signs of neglect and disinterest when I got here.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Wow - that's the first place I've ever seen that uses a link to its SR page for availability and reservations...

i have on occassion called a nearby place to see if they have a room, but so many times, the guests i can't accommodate don't follow through. i don't know why. so i have stopped calling and i just give all the info to the potential guest. because i have had innkeepers call, pretty miffed at me, that the guest never showed. felt bad about that. have had it happen to me the other way around, too. someone 'desperate' for a room doesn't show. desperate with options i guess..
You did what you could to help a guest that you could not accommodate, after that your involvement is done, you cannot force the customer to book the other place, and they other Inn should still be grateful that you are even making an attempt to send some guests to them.

i have on occassion called a nearby place to see if they have a room, but so many times, the guests i can't accommodate don't follow through. i don't know why. so i have stopped calling and i just give all the info to the potential guest. because i have had innkeepers call, pretty miffed at me, that the guest never showed. felt bad about that. have had it happen to me the other way around, too. someone 'desperate' for a room doesn't show. desperate with options i guess..
seashanty said:
i have on occassion called a nearby place to see if they have a room, but so many times, the guests i can't accommodate don't follow through. i don't know why. so i have stopped calling and i just give all the info to the potential guest. because i have had innkeepers call, pretty miffed at me, that the guest never showed. felt bad about that. have had it happen to me the other way around, too. someone 'desperate' for a room doesn't show. desperate with options i guess.
We get that here all summer. I DO call because I want to save the guest having to go from door to door. But many times I will call a second or third time and the innkeeper will say, 'Did you see where the other guests went? They never came here.' And these are guests who ask me for directions to the other place and say they are on their way. Thank me for my help, yada, yada. In some cases, I am pointing them across the street! I see them turn down the street I told them to and then my job is done. It's not that they can't FIND the place, it's RIGHT there! Maybe they don't like the outside? Maybe there was no parking? I don't know.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
red flags - too many of them.
So if they ignore you ahead of time you expect them to serve you and be there when you are there? They don't even run the business as a business? You are in for a real treat. I hope you aren't spending too much $ there. You will regret it. They are doing NOTHING for you as a guest by treating you this way.
I have a miserable cold and my face is all red and icky and I feel like crud - I was still in chatting to guests and being pleasant and answering calls and replying to email inquiries. Which is why I am here right now.

seashanty said:
I have called inns for guests and they return the call like 4 days later. I just laugh. Some times they use caller id to return my call when I obv didn't leave a message - the guests are GONE NOW to a place who received them happily. Then the inn makes all this small talk. I tell them, you should return your calls more promptly.

YS wrote: I'm staying at this B&B over Thanksgiving that took at least 4 days after my initial phone call. He called me while I was at an 8th grade football game. We discussed it and he had to check with his wife about their Thanksgiving plans and whether they were open. I called a week or so later and left another message. They eventually called back, said they were open... by which time our plans had changed from two nights to one. We discussed rooms and I said I'd check with my dh about our choice. I called them back that same day and left a message about which room, asking them to let me know the total cost with tax (they don't take cc's, I need to send a check, and I want to send the full amount, not just a deposit). They didn't call back. A week or two later I called and they actually answered the phone, so I got the amount... I still haven't mailed the check, though.
Why are you doing this dance? "We don't know if we are open" blah blah blah. I would not give them a cent of my hard earned money. No way no how. I would rather hand it over to a chain hotel.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Aaah, yes - could be. Could be they have so much business they don't feel the need to respond to inquiries. Could be they didn't get the email, somehow - we got a response once months after an inquiry to a B&B in Savannah that the email had been 'lost' and somehow just recovered. Could be they sent a reply email and it went astray, through human error or computer error, and they don't realize it. They should just hope that Samster is not a secret SR inspector because they will get demerits for the problem.
When we were trying to book a room here at our Inn when we were Inn-shopping, it took three days for the owner to respond to my request for a room. The voicemail I left did not include the information that I was interested in buying it, although when she finally called me back I told her that. I wasn't surprised to find out there were some other signs of neglect and disinterest when I got here.
I have a backup plan and I'm getting ready to phone them since it's after breakfast service. This B&B is super close to my son's place & they seem to offer similar amenities and services to our place. I would like to check it out! Plus, I've been working hard lately and a little break may be just what I need. I may just stay one night now though since I've had to wait so long!
I believe the reply I got so far was an automatic reply from the SR site because of the verbage. If the email request was not lost, I find it incredible that it would take 3 days to respond. I will keep y'all posted.

YS wrote: I'm staying at this B&B over Thanksgiving that took at least 4 days after my initial phone call. He called me while I was at an 8th grade football game. We discussed it and he had to check with his wife about their Thanksgiving plans and whether they were open. I called a week or so later and left another message. They eventually called back, said they were open... by which time our plans had changed from two nights to one. We discussed rooms and I said I'd check with my dh about our choice. I called them back that same day and left a message about which room, asking them to let me know the total cost with tax (they don't take cc's, I need to send a check, and I want to send the full amount, not just a deposit). They didn't call back. A week or two later I called and they actually answered the phone, so I got the amount... I still haven't mailed the check, though.
Why are you doing this dance? "We don't know if we are open" blah blah blah. I would not give them a cent of my hard earned money. No way no how. I would rather hand it over to a chain hotel..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Why are you doing this dance? "We don't know if we are open" blah blah blah. I would not give them a cent of my hard earned money. No way no how. I would rather hand it over to a chain hotel.
We stayed there two years ago. It's a nice enough place. The wife was out of town visiting her family but the husband stayed home to run the pizza restaurant. The only part I was disappointed about was that they had wifi and the husband didn't know the code and never got it from his wife for me. Otherwise it was fine... hot breakfast, nice cookies, clean house, good location. This year the wife will be around, so I can get the wifi code. The husband wasn't around a lot, but we were there to visit my cousin, not hang around the B&B. The husband was (is still?) a hockey player so the B&B is mostly a summer thing. Obviously, it's not their primary source of income.
I could stay in an icky chain motel or a lovely room with a whirlpool tub. Actually, it's a suite, so the ds5x2 will be on an air mattress in the other room from us. I can hardly wait! And the question about which room to pick came up because this one is a suite, with the huge tub, but no shower. However, since they're not expecting other guests we've been told we can use the shower in one of the other guest rooms. We're only there one night, so that works either way.
They're accommodating, clean, and in a good location. I started making my plans more than two months in advance. What's the rush? The arrangements are made, and eventually I'll even send them a check.
If it were for this weekend, though, I don't think it would happen.
=)
Kk.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
I have a backup plan and I'm getting ready to phone them since it's after breakfast service. This B&B is super close to my son's place & they seem to offer similar amenities and services to our place. I would like to check it out! Plus, I've been working hard lately and a little break may be just what I need. I may just stay one night now though since I've had to wait so long!
I believe the reply I got so far was an automatic reply from the SR site because of the verbage. If the email request was not lost, I find it incredible that it would take 3 days to respond. I will keep y'all posted.
Samster said:
On the other side...had a guest call an hour or so ago...'I booked online (yes he did) and I haven't received a confirmation yet.' (He booked at 10:09 AM and it was 11:45 AM, the same day.) He told me ALL the other hotels he had booked at had already sent him a confirmation.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
On the other side...had a guest call an hour or so ago...'I booked online (yes he did) and I haven't received a confirmation yet.' (He booked at 10:09 AM and it was 11:45 AM, the same day.) He told me ALL the other hotels he had booked at had already sent him a confirmation.
Well, I did call and book for the 2 nights. I deserve a getaway without a backache!
confused_smile.gif

No email confirmation yet after 2 hours.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
Well, I did call and book for the 2 nights. I deserve a getaway without a backache!
confused_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif

I have stayed at a couple B&B's in the past who never gave me any sort of confirmation whatsoever.
One place on Whidbey Island in The Puget Sound mailed my confirmation AFTER I paid them in full 30 days in adavnce. It was for a friend, so I bit the bullet and did this.
They had a housekeeper/cook who ran the place for this congressman who owned it. She had no information on the area, was not friendly and did nothing to make it a nice stay. She handed you a key and made breakfast, that was it from the "innkeeper" standpoint.
Fortunately the beach was outside the rooms and the log cabin itself was historic and really cool. We never knwe if anyone was there or not besides us.
The next morning we ate family style and I didn't like it. It wasn't like a normal family where the bowls keep moving. There were two other couples from Texas who would scoop something out of a bowl and then set it down, so you had to keep asking.
Now it is a private home rental, no longer a B&B.

devil_smile.gif
Samster said:
omg_smile.gif

regular_smile.gif

Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
regular_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif

muirford said:
Bree said:
confused_smile.gif
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
Samster said:
confused_smile.gif

Samster said:
confused_smile.gif

I have stayed at a couple B&B's in the past who never gave me any sort of confirmation whatsoever.
One place on Whidbey Island in The Puget Sound mailed my confirmation AFTER I paid them in full 30 days in adavnce. It was for a friend, so I bit the bullet and did this.
They had a housekeeper/cook who ran the place for this congressman who owned it. She had no information on the area, was not friendly and did nothing to make it a nice stay. She handed you a key and made breakfast, that was it from the "innkeeper" standpoint.
Fortunately the beach was outside the rooms and the log cabin itself was historic and really cool. We never knwe if anyone was there or not besides us.
The next morning we ate family style and I didn't like it. It wasn't like a normal family where the bowls keep moving. There were two other couples from Texas who would scoop something out of a bowl and then set it down, so you had to keep asking.
Now it is a private home rental, no longer a B&B.
Owner said it would be sent today. Haven't gotten it so far, so if I don't receive it by tomorrow, I will email and let them know. I'd like to know what room I'm in!! Plus, they have a one week cancellation policy (not that I'm thinking of canceling but would be nice to have the details).
We've stayed at a couple of places that didn't send confirmations. They were the places without online reservations typically.

Back