BedandBreakfast.com takes on Select Registry?!?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the things we have heard for quite some time now though is that consumers felt they needed to look elsewhere than BedandBreakfast.com to find luxury properties. That really doesn’t do any member of BedandBreakfast.com any good at all – if people don’t think they can get high-end properties on BedandBreakfast.com, then they’ll either never see our other properties, or think that none are high-end. This of course is a perception that we do not believe is a reality, but – as they say, perception is reality. So the question is – what are we going to do about it? How do we make sure consumers realize that BedandBreakfast.com does have the widest selection of properties, and they should come to us to see them all, not just the mid-range? So that is where we came up with the Diamond Collection. We feel that it is the answer to get more of the 96% of travelers who never stay at B&B’s. We think that consumers will be much happier with the now perceived wider selection on BedandBreakfast.com if it is clear there are all varieties of properties. Consumers will shop all properties though and find the one that is best for them – period. Just because we now have a broader perceived selection shouldn’t take away from properties that are not in that segment, and ultimately we think this will drive more consumers to the site in general. As for who do we think we join this program? We are not expecting that many inns to join - period - around 5%. We feel it is a niche product that is filling a void on BedandBreakfast.com, not a mass appeal product.
As far as your comments aieechihuahua, that's not the attitude we take at all. Quite frankly I'd love it if another directly stepped-up and did more in the industry. It would benefit us all if there were multiple sites out there trying to grab share from chain hotels. A lot of the time I think the other directories just sit back and laugh at us while they maintain a simple listing site without any headaches. They probably think we are crazy trying to maintain a business like Webervations or RezOvation, or go through a full external PCI audit, or manage a program like the one with Expedia and hotels.com, or that we spend so much money on advertising and press, or that we fed all of our content to Google Local almost four years ago. Having a straight-forward listing business where there is nothing to change or manage is obviously a lot easier and probably a lot more profitable!

edited by swirt to remove Microsoft formatting garbage].
JBanczak - "One of the things we have heard for quite some time now though is that consumers felt they needed to look elsewhere than BedandBreakfast.com to find luxury properties. That really doesn’t do any member of BedandBreakfast.com any good at all – if people don’t think they can get high-end properties on BedandBreakfast.com, then they’ll either never see our other properties, or think that none are high-end. This of course is a perception that we do not believe is a reality, but – as they say, perception is reality. So the question is – what are we going to do about it? How do we make sure consumers realize that BedandBreakfast.com does have the widest selection of properties, and they should come to us to see them all, not just the mid-range? So that is where we came up with the Diamond Collection."
John, I understand with the reasoning for the new collection and really do not have a problem with it myself... For me there was no need to look at the critera after seeing the cost - that alone ruled me out. Athough I would not classify my place as luxury, I don't classify it as mid-range either... BUT what about those small 2-3 room B&B's that are truely LUXURY places - (I have one on the top of my mind) that even at their rates could not begin to pay this type of fee to belong in B&B.com's luxury class lodging collection. Those are the ones that will come away with a bitter taste with this new wave...
And as I have stated several times before, the only thing I hope B&B.com will do is to place some VERY descriptive /destinctive wording to direct viewers to the different areas of the site.... By this I am saying that I hope this new collection will be seperate from the current B&B listings...

One of the things we have heard for quite some time now though is that consumers felt they needed to look elsewhere than BedandBreakfast.com to find luxury properties. That really doesn’t do any member of BedandBreakfast.com any good at all – if people don’t think they can get high-end properties on BedandBreakfast.com, then they’ll either never see our other properties, or think that none are high-end. This of course is a perception that we do not believe is a reality, but – as they say, perception is reality. So the question is – what are we going to do about it? How do we make sure consumers realize that BedandBreakfast.com does have the widest selection of properties, and they should come to us to see them all, not just the mid-range? So that is where we came up with the Diamond Collection. We feel that it is the answer to get more of the 96% of travelers who never stay at B&B’s. We think that consumers will be much happier with the now perceived wider selection on BedandBreakfast.com if it is clear there are all varieties of properties. Consumers will shop all properties though and find the one that is best for them – period. Just because we now have a broader perceived selection shouldn’t take away from properties that are not in that segment, and ultimately we think this will drive more consumers to the site in general. As for who do we think we join this program? We are not expecting that many inns to join - period - around 5%. We feel it is a niche product that is filling a void on BedandBreakfast.com, not a mass appeal product.
As far as your comments aieechihuahua, that's not the attitude we take at all. Quite frankly I'd love it if another directly stepped-up and did more in the industry. It would benefit us all if there were multiple sites out there trying to grab share from chain hotels. A lot of the time I think the other directories just sit back and laugh at us while they maintain a simple listing site without any headaches. They probably think we are crazy trying to maintain a business like Webervations or RezOvation, or go through a full external PCI audit, or manage a program like the one with Expedia and hotels.com, or that we spend so much money on advertising and press, or that we fed all of our content to Google Local almost four years ago. Having a straight-forward listing business where there is nothing to change or manage is obviously a lot easier and probably a lot more profitable!

edited by swirt to remove Microsoft formatting garbage].
JBanczak - "One of the things we have heard for quite some time now though is that consumers felt they needed to look elsewhere than BedandBreakfast.com to find luxury properties. That really doesn’t do any member of BedandBreakfast.com any good at all – if people don’t think they can get high-end properties on BedandBreakfast.com, then they’ll either never see our other properties, or think that none are high-end. This of course is a perception that we do not believe is a reality, but – as they say, perception is reality. So the question is – what are we going to do about it? How do we make sure consumers realize that BedandBreakfast.com does have the widest selection of properties, and they should come to us to see them all, not just the mid-range? So that is where we came up with the Diamond Collection."
John, I understand with the reasoning for the new collection and really do not have a problem with it myself... For me there was no need to look at the critera after seeing the cost - that alone ruled me out. Athough I would not classify my place as luxury, I don't classify it as mid-range either... BUT what about those small 2-3 room B&B's that are truely LUXURY places - (I have one on the top of my mind) that even at their rates could not begin to pay this type of fee to belong in B&B.com's luxury class lodging collection. Those are the ones that will come away with a bitter taste with this new wave...
And as I have stated several times before, the only thing I hope B&B.com will do is to place some VERY descriptive /destinctive wording to direct viewers to the different areas of the site.... By this I am saying that I hope this new collection will be seperate from the current B&B listings...
Copperhead said:
I agree that there are a number of luxury properties that only have 2 -5 rooms that will not be able to afford these rates. And I don't like the description about the diamond listing having the modern amenities - to me it reads that the others may not. And I'm sitting here with spa showers, heated tiled flooring, gourmet chocolate and port turndown, Bose stereos in the rooms, packages with transportation to and from dining, etc. etc. etc.
RIki
edited to say oops I used the wrong quote. oh well...

Just my opinion, but they seem to be getting to big for their britches much like PAII did and they dropped their membership WAY DOWN...why? Cause they offered the average Innkeeper absolutely nothing other than a forum and some info on some stuff they could not use everyday.
Do you all really think that the high end consumer looks for their own lodging? They know EXACTLY where to go and they get this for word of mouth...what kind of Inn is in the diamond collection? I don't think the mom and pop Inn that gives a wonderful B&B experience and does what B & B are suppose to do not butique hotels like so many are popping up claiming to be B & B's, its a shame that we can't just be what we are and that that company wants more and more and more. Believe me all us that are small-medium and don't have "diamond" status is what keeps those people in their jobs...we are theitr bread and butter and without most of us they will eventually have none because if you are such a high end B & B and make that much that you can afford to pay that much you would be listed in other listing places. B & B wants to go higher on the tail of all of us that work hard every day to make the guest that has never been to a B & B someone that never wants to step into a hotel.
I take offense to someone that said that only owners that take care of their Inn can only be a real bed and breakfast. Some people that own a B&B cant or won't be Innkeepers and hire people to do the Innkeeping and there are people that work for them that love their Inn as much as it was theirs. I am one of those people and I am a professional Innkeeper. I did own an Inn at one time but now I work for one..we are all the same I think.

Back