Beyond salvagable

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aussie Innkeeper

Reaction score
Well, it's 9:30 and the only guests in the house are not down to breakfast. At this point, if they do decide to grace the dining room with their presence, I'm not sure what I'm going to make for them, since the breakfast that I did so lovingly prepare is completely useless at this point.
These people are here for 4 nights. Gen Y'ers...newly weds...very 'earthy' types. The ironic thing is that they don't look like they bathe much, but each morning after they leave (this is their 3rd morning), I go up and there's a pile of very wet towels on the floor...of the bedroom...!! Why can't they just leave them on the tiled floor in the bathroom??? NOOOO!! They have to drag them out into the middle of the rug in the room.
The first morning they were here, they announced (after not appearing at breakfast) that they 'spilled something' on the quilt. No problem, I say, we'll take care of it. After they left I go into the room to find the bed completely stripped of all sheets, blanket and quilt, all rolled up in a ball on the floor with , you guessed it, wet towels on top! URGH!!
So, I take the bundle to the laundry room where I search and search the quilt, sheets and blanket for signs of the 'something' and cannot find it anywhere! Well, at this point, I have to wash everything and get it back on the bed before they return in the afternoon. Yesterday, it was the bathrobes that were soaked.
What IS it with these people??? At least they paid in full in advance. I've done more wash for them in 2 days than I've done for all the other guests. AND I know I'm not going to see any sign of a tip!
pita.gif

I'm waiting for my room to leave. They have not left the room except for dinner in 2 days. Not to smoke. Not to walk the dog. Nothing. We don't know when they left yesterday (no car) until we heard them come back at midnight. New policies going into place today.
As for yours with the wet everything. Arrrrgh! I do not understand guests who dump the soaking wet towels and bathrobes on the bed, the chairs and the carpet other than they came out of the bathroom wrapped up in those things and left them where they dropped them to get dressed.

Well, now it's 10:00 and still no sign of them. I'm shutting off the lights in the dining room. I'll leave the muffins out near the Keurig for them, but I've got stuff to get done today!

Well, now it's 10:00 and still no sign of them. I'm shutting off the lights in the dining room. I'll leave the muffins out near the Keurig for them, but I've got stuff to get done today!.
Yesterday I waited until 9:45 (breakfast ends at 9:30). Today I didn't even bother setting up (or GETTING up for that matter). We are doing our reno work and the guests are still sound asleep (judging by not hearing any sounds at all from that part of the house).

Aussie I feel your pain! I really truly do. Held hostage by inconsiderate slobs.

I would ask them if you see them today if the plan to have breakfast the rest of their mornings...it's horrible to prepare and have to waste all that food. Clueless people, man...totally clueless.

I hate to cook something I feel is special and get a no show for breakfast but worse is me waiting around AFTER breakfast hour is over for this no show. DH use to say 'well lets give them another 15 minutes' which turned into another 15.... well NO more. I tell guests we serve breakfast between 8:30 and 9:30, come down anytime in that hour and you will be served. This has significantly cut down tardy guests wanting breakfast. We have lives to live and things to do.

Soaking wet towels... This aggrevates me to no end. Nine out of 10 are X or Yers too. I question if they just do not know how to use a shower curtain. When I have this happen the curtain is outside of the tub and the grout between the tiles still shows evidence of being wet. I want to scream!!
Finding wet towels on my 18th cent. bed posts makes me want to ring their necks!
angry_smile.gif

Right now we only have two rooms but when we get up to five I have told my DH that we will tell them breakfast is served from 8:30 to 9:30 after which time the continental portion will be left out in the tasting room with coffee hot pots until 11am as the entree will have dried out from being in the warmer.
We are lucky we have the tasting room - they can sit out there and nosh if they want to sleep in. Then we'll remove before departing on wine tours.
RIki

Soaking wet towels... This aggrevates me to no end. Nine out of 10 are X or Yers too. I question if they just do not know how to use a shower curtain. When I have this happen the curtain is outside of the tub and the grout between the tiles still shows evidence of being wet. I want to scream!!
Finding wet towels on my 18th cent. bed posts makes me want to ring their necks!
angry_smile.gif
Hey! I'm a Gen X er and I don't leave wet towels on the floor or anywhere else for that matter. And frankly, I don't think it's universal. This is a group with call the Prince and Princesses. Don't care about the environment. Should be staying at the W hotel, but since they have to live in a fiscal reality they choose a B&B as a cheaper alternative, when frankly... they shouldn't. They need a loft, six bath towels, brand name everything and B&Bs ain't for them.

Well, the 'earthy ones' checked out today. Another huge pile of wet towels,but at least this time they were in the bathroom. Probably too heavy to move much further.
They completely stripped the bed and left everything in a ball on top of the mattress. Soon I realized the reason for this. Blood all over the fitted sheet, flat sheet and blanket. I couldn't see any on the quilt, but wasn't going to take any chances. Into the washer it went, too. I've now washed that thing twice in 3 days! I've got to completely turn that room by this afternoon and I've got a meeting later...urgh!!
And, as expected there was no tip, unless you count the dime they left on the floor.

I'm waiting for my room to leave. They have not left the room except for dinner in 2 days. Not to smoke. Not to walk the dog. Nothing. We don't know when they left yesterday (no car) until we heard them come back at midnight. New policies going into place today.
As for yours with the wet everything. Arrrrgh! I do not understand guests who dump the soaking wet towels and bathrobes on the bed, the chairs and the carpet other than they came out of the bathroom wrapped up in those things and left them where they dropped them to get dressed..
Alibi Ike said:
New policies going into place today.
What are you adding?
eta: Oh, nevermind. I see the other thread. Yikes.

OK, my breakfast story, from a weekend ago. Marathon and several runners (and support team) as guests. To support the supporters mainly (runners too nervous to eat), I put out breakfast at 5:00, marathoners eat and run :) … I snooze for an hour and put out breakfast for the non-runners, including a sleep-in, so at 10 ish, I have some folk still eating and … the half marathoners now return, hungry (young German lads, brothers). They see eggs, bacon, everything; they are too shy to ask, but I offer, so they shower and I cook and I finally finish after 11:00.
Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did.

OK, my breakfast story, from a weekend ago. Marathon and several runners (and support team) as guests. To support the supporters mainly (runners too nervous to eat), I put out breakfast at 5:00, marathoners eat and run :) … I snooze for an hour and put out breakfast for the non-runners, including a sleep-in, so at 10 ish, I have some folk still eating and … the half marathoners now return, hungry (young German lads, brothers). They see eggs, bacon, everything; they are too shy to ask, but I offer, so they shower and I cook and I finally finish after 11:00.
Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did..
Tom said:
. . . they are too shy to ask, but I offer . . .Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did.
And there we have it, folks . . . the key to hospitality!
Did you know they were in for a marathon? Maybe next time set it up that way: a quick something to grab on their way to the race (leave it out before you go to bed so you don't have to get up early), with a bigger celebration breakfast afterward (as long as they are back at a reasonable time). I understand it would mean changing your routine every once in a while, but it would go a long way toward goodwill.

Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did..
Nice that they got back so early. Our runners usually want to return at 1 PM to shower and check out. In their heads they are thinking '1 PM, why not, that's plenty of time for them to pick up the room.' In reality, they return at 1:30, shower for 45 minutes each and don't leave until after 3.
So, we have to tell them no can do which means we don't have any runners staying here.
That was very nice of you to offer.

We tell the menu at check-in in the hopes of heading off potential disasters in the morning. It makes not a whit of difference, but it's what we do. I suppose we could not bother telling them because it won't make any difference.
Anyhoo...just checked in a group and they started right in...can't have sausage, can't have toast (so that means can the french toast for Sunday), can't have lactose (so no milk, cheese, butter). So, I'm thinking they're getting dry eggs for 2 days. Wonder how they're handling the 50th anniversary party they're attending. Did they send a list in advance?

My sister wants to be ON THE ROAD by 7 AM so I made cornbread in my 8 x 8 and a sour cream & parsley egg bake (thin version - maybe an inch thick) in an 8 x 8. I "layered" the cornbread and put the egg bake between the "layers" and cut it into 6 pieces. I wrapped each piece in wax paper so they can be nuked if wanted warm. I will get up in the morning to make coffee and will be able to honestly say I did not get up early to make their breakfast.

Back