Beyond salvagable

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, my breakfast story, from a weekend ago. Marathon and several runners (and support team) as guests. To support the supporters mainly (runners too nervous to eat), I put out breakfast at 5:00, marathoners eat and run :) … I snooze for an hour and put out breakfast for the non-runners, including a sleep-in, so at 10 ish, I have some folk still eating and … the half marathoners now return, hungry (young German lads, brothers). They see eggs, bacon, everything; they are too shy to ask, but I offer, so they shower and I cook and I finally finish after 11:00.
Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did..
Tom said:
. . . they are too shy to ask, but I offer . . .Did I have to do this? No. But it was appreciated, so I did.
And there we have it, folks . . . the key to hospitality!
Did you know they were in for a marathon? Maybe next time set it up that way: a quick something to grab on their way to the race (leave it out before you go to bed so you don't have to get up early), with a bigger celebration breakfast afterward (as long as they are back at a reasonable time). I understand it would mean changing your routine every once in a while, but it would go a long way toward goodwill.
Good suggestion. The post race celebration is hard to time. My guests this time included the 13-milers (half marathon), others come in at very different times. I don't mind getting up early to show support, in this case to help get the frost off the car windows, remind them not to run into deer in the dark. Country 6 am stuff for city dwellers. This weekend we had a 2-night minimum so it encouraged the runners to stay on and relax and let the supporting partner actually enjoy the B&B.

pita.gif
PITA Happens!
This works for us PERFECTLY- a menu is presented to the guest at check- in to complete (circle their choices) and return to us by 8PM the night before breakfast. Choices - Pancake/Waffles or Protein (egg) , fresh fruit parfait with Greek Yogurt (you pick the fruit you wish included), toast or bagel, etc etc etc.
Time slot they wish to be served (anytime between 8AM-10AM) . Special times by request.
By doing this, I eliminate the possibility of making a fruit parfait with blueberries they hate (leaving them on their plate) and making waffles when they prefer eggs benedict. or- Greek yogurt and fruit ONLY- no heavy breakfast preferred. Also easier than serving 10 people at once in 1 time slot.
I've got it down to a science ! Saves me from guessing likes and dislikes and I know what I need to do 12 hours in advance. Have had many positive comments and compliments about the dining system and experience. Yippee !

This works for us PERFECTLY- a menu is presented to the guest at check- in to complete (circle their choices) and return to us by 8PM the night before breakfast. Choices - Pancake/Waffles or Protein (egg) , fresh fruit parfait with Greek Yogurt (you pick the fruit you wish included), toast or bagel, etc etc etc.
Time slot they wish to be served (anytime between 8AM-10AM) . Special times by request.
By doing this, I eliminate the possibility of making a fruit parfait with blueberries they hate (leaving them on their plate) and making waffles when they prefer eggs benedict. or- Greek yogurt and fruit ONLY- no heavy breakfast preferred. Also easier than serving 10 people at once in 1 time slot.
I've got it down to a science ! Saves me from guessing likes and dislikes and I know what I need to do 12 hours in advance. Have had many positive comments and compliments about the dining system and experience. Yippee !
You serve the same thing every morning? Hey if it works for you..that is great. I honestly would get totally bored doing that. We had a few "special" diets, but for the most part we did fine. I posted the menu each evening, told them to look at it. If there was something they couldn't eat for health reasons, let me know, I would try my best to accommodate...though I did ask that in advance as well...otherwise..deal with it.

"Have had many positive comments and compliments about the dining system and experience. Yippee !"
Everyone here has heard positive comments and compliments. Just wanted to say that, every one does it differently and every guest is different and every innkeeper has been complimented and told:
"That other place did it short order we didn't like it!"
"That other place did buffet and we didn't like it!"
"That other place did plated and one serving only and we didn't like it!"
etc etc etc
teeth_smile.gif

I am not a restaurant. I had a full house and still three rooms and one more in tonight, no special diets, no issues. I make a very nice breakfast and hope everyone innjoys it, if they don't they can eat what they want!

"Have had many positive comments and compliments about the dining system and experience. Yippee !"
Everyone here has heard positive comments and compliments. Just wanted to say that, every one does it differently and every guest is different and every innkeeper has been complimented and told:
etc etc etc
teeth_smile.gif

I am not a restaurant. I had a full house and still three rooms and one more in tonight, no special diets, no issues. I make a very nice breakfast and hope everyone innjoys it, if they don't they can eat what they want!.
I think partly its how you sell it. I was watching 3 in a bed on thursday and the lady there made you order the night before and she said it like this "because I WONT be waisting sausages and bacon" and acted like it was a total inconvenience. The two chaps on said we arn't sure what we want yet and she then barged into their room while they were in their bath robes to get it out of them then!(ie before breakfast in the morning) I would have had a fit! Don't think they dared have anything with sausage and bacon! Where as if you sold it as "so we have it ready for you so you don't have to wait and arn't inconvenienced plus environmental blah" it would probably have been fine. We cook to order it means its fresh but if it is busy you might have to wait a bit if everyone comes at once. Every method comes with a price.

etc etc etc
teeth_smile.gif

I am not a restaurant. I had a full house and still three rooms and one more in tonight, no special diets, no issues. I make a very nice breakfast and hope everyone innjoys it, if they don't they can eat what they want!.
I think partly its how you sell it. I was watching 3 in a bed on thursday and the lady there made you order the night before and she said it like this "because I WONT be waisting sausages and bacon" and acted like it was a total inconvenience. The two chaps on said we arn't sure what we want yet and she then barged into their room while they were in their bath robes to get it out of them then!(ie before breakfast in the morning) I would have had a fit! Don't think they dared have anything with sausage and bacon! Where as if you sold it as "so we have it ready for you so you don't have to wait and arn't inconvenienced plus environmental blah" it would probably have been fine. We cook to order it means its fresh but if it is busy you might have to wait a bit if everyone comes at once. Every method comes with a price.
I wish I had seen that show! I would have had the nerve then to barge in while our guests were lolling around as they refused to decide what time they wanted to eat. 'We don't know yet.'

You serve the same thing every morning? Hey if it works for you..that is great. I honestly would get totally bored doing that. We had a few "special" diets, but for the most part we did fine. I posted the menu each evening, told them to look at it. If there was something they couldn't eat for health reasons, let me know, I would try my best to accommodate...though I did ask that in advance as well...otherwise..deal with it.
No I do not serve the same thing every morning. I have 10 different menus printed up in advance and each room/guest gets the same menu that I pick for that day. The choice is either a sweet entree or protein entree. I do not cook the same breakfast twice in one week. Far from boring and keeps me sane.

Back