Blog Ideas - Post 'em here

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_0721.JPG

I have a 95 year old cousin who had to go to a nursing home 2 years ago against her will, so I promised to take her for a car ride every Wednesday. I can use my iPhone map (GPS) to keep me from getting lost, and the camera captures what I see along the way. There is a town called Knaw Bone in the southern part of the state, and I knew we had a Lickskillet, but didn't realize it was so close to home.
regular_smile.gif
(The other edge of town is just beyond the stop sign in the background)
I suppose I'll use it in a blog eventually, but not for a while. Also got a picture of a round barn on the same trip yesterday, which is much more blog-worthy.
IMG_0728.JPG
You drove through The Big Lick when you were in Virginia.
cheers.gif

Hi Guys, this is Heather, you posted my 25 ideas for blogging for inns, thank you! I hope you got some useful ideas from it.
I do have a question for Morticia (Bree?) I love feedback from innkeepers and appreciate the points you make as they are all true, the calls were very much staged and directed. I would appreciate a comment on my post if you have time as it does encourage future discussion. In this particular case it was a fact finding mission only.
When I personally call to book a reservation at a B&B somewhere, I generally do my own research as to what, where etc. and I don't grill the innkeepers. Whether I book is whether the innkeeper is friendly and smiling over the phone. I have not made a rez at places where you wouldn't believe the tone of voice and greeting used. Fortunately that hasn't happened often. :) The "Hello, this is the @@@@@ Inn" whadya want?" did kind of floor me recently though. LOL
"And yet, I can have very encouraging conversations with guests who get all the info and never call back, and, unlike the blogger, will not tell me who they are so I can call back to see if they're still interested. Or find out where they went instead."
I do hear this from many innkeepers and I think similar to being in any type of service business, you do get a lot of people fishing. I know its impossible to get contact info for everyone, (one of the reasons I love caller ID) but I do know alot of the inns I work with frequently forget to try to ask for contact info and thats why I encourage them to use postits or someother form of visual reminder.
"I also disagree with some of the points she made. Guests may ask what your favorite room is, but they may not have the same taste you do. Guests, and we all get them, may want the price and that's it, no upselling. (Altho, she does, with her questions indicate she is wanting an upsell.) Most guests are not prepared, as she was, to know what they want. They say, 'What's your place like?' If you return with, 'What would you be interested in knowing about- our rooms, the location, the breakfast?' I get back, 'Whatever.'
In regards to the "whatever" you get back from people, Like selling in any industry, giving options back to the customers sometimes is overload, As is answering a question with a question. I would suggest running up an elevator pitch (under 3 minutes) for people so when you get a vague question like that you are prepared to reel off. "Our guests are welcome to enjoy our B&B, which has 6 rooms decorated with Shaker Style furniture, 4 with gas fireplaces, 3 great restaurants within walking distance etc etc. and Share something interesting about yourself." There's a nice aticle about pitching here http://www.elevatorpitchessentials.com/essays/ElevatorPitch.html.
Hi Heather!
Glad you could join us. The resons I didn't post my comments directly on your blog is that the blog post itself was not current and I figured it wasn't going to generate a lot of talk if I posted it there. (Also figured you'd find us here from the click-thrus!)
Thanks for the suggestion to get the 'elevator speech' ready.
We do tend to get a lot of 'grilling' and have mentioned that on here before. Personally, I've spent upwards of hours on phone calls that elicited every bit of information from me that they could and amounted to some other location getting the business. And, yes, when the conversations are going on for over 20 minutes at a time I am asking them to close the deal by booking now. But they always have to ask someone else's permission.
Which means, 'Thanks, but no thanks. I sucked all the info from you and now I'll go stay at the cheap-o hotel down the street that couldn't answer any questions but is only charging me $69/night.'
regular_smile.gif

Value is the new green
This is a blog on best travel deals.net
30 Ways To Pay For Your Vacation Without Dipping Into Your Savings[/h1]Someone might enjoy this list and cater it to their Inn or area. :)
CLICK HERE FOR ARTICLE

Excerpt:
17. Really low on funds this year? Vacation close to home. You’ll save on airfare and possibly hotel rates if you live in a tourist area. Many of us haven’t visited the top tourist attractions in our own hometowns.

This is the life of an innkeeper (this innkeeper anyway, which is not a regular average life to be sure)
We had a “Paranormal broker” here, the good news, even with a dead stinkin’ possum and DH sawing up the floor boards last night, apparently we are all peace and joy and to quote the Beach Boys “Good Vibrations” and no ghosts wandering the halls.
But we do have a Banjo Pickin’ Chickin (see my blog for this).
(If this makes absolutely no sense to you...join the club. Innkeeper A.D.D. my specialty) :)

Excerpt:
17. Really low on funds this year? Vacation close to home. You’ll save on airfare and possibly hotel rates if you live in a tourist area. Many of us haven’t visited the top tourist attractions in our own hometowns..
I do have to say that I have not visited every tourist destination in my tiny town. However, will have youngster next week who will be subjected to all of this so I have a reason to go!

Innkeepers, I am thinking of blogging a PICK OF THE PORCH article and post links to different Inns with porches, not from any particular state, region or country - just porch pix that look innviting. :)
If you have a porch and a nice photo of that porch, please email me your website link and a photo (medium sized file under 500 kb would be best). Close up shot of a wicker settee is fine as well, anything PORCH-Esque. I will try to not go too detailed, just a photo and link is all.
Email from my user id please and I will get it. We can get some link-love going.

For the person who wondered if they were 'talking to no one' on their blog (can't find the exact post)...I feel that way, too, but guests here this weekend have read my blog pretty thoroughly. They were asking questions about things I blogged about. They want to go see some of those things. I am surprised by WHO says they read the blog. It's NOT the Gen Xers. It's the grannies!

The latest blog article will be titled Chick Magnet
We currently have 5 nests that I have seen, all with chicks, all different birds from bluebirds to mockingbirds.
I was able to take a few pix, we found a nest we didn't know about in an asian magnolia we are out trimming. I took pix of all the nests that I could, some came out better than others. I would like to share a couple with you:
lrg_Bluebird_box.JPG

Bluebird_chicks_B.JPG

lrg_Caboose_Bird_NestingBox.JPG

lrg_Robin_Chicks.JPG

We currently have 5 nests that I have seen, all with chicks, all different birds from bluebirds to mockingbirds.
I was able to take a few pix, we found a nest we didn't know about in an asian magnolia we are out trimming. I took pix of all the nests that I could, some came out better than others. I would like to share a couple with you:
lrg_Bluebird_box.JPG

Bluebird_chicks_B.JPG

lrg_Robin_Chicks.JPG
Wow.
Or as DH would say, superbe!

I tried to edit that, couldn't...having issues on here from time to time.
We provide nesting boxes so they won't get overly comfy in trees and esp shrubbery that we need to cut back and trim. The robins are always in the hanging ferns, the mocking birds love the Holly tree.
One mockingbird came out of the nest as we trimmed a hedge and the girls saved him and put him back. Between you and I his Mummy should have kicked him out long ago! He can fly and needs to get a job! :)
lrg_Mockingbird_Rescue.JPG

lrg_Bluebird_box.JPG

Bluebird_chicks_B.JPG

lrg_Robin_Chicks.JPG
Cool!

We provide nesting boxes so they won't get overly comfy in trees and esp shrubbery that we need to cut back and trim. The robins are always in the hanging ferns, the mocking birds love the Holly tree.
One mockingbird came out of the nest as we trimmed a hedge and the girls saved him and put him back. Between you and I his Mummy should have kicked him out long ago! He can fly and needs to get a job! :)
Not only great blog pix, but what fabulous memories for the girls!

I have been trying to get photos of the chicks in our nests all over the yard..but they have themselves hidden in the bushes so well..my camera and I can't get close. ONe is right outside my laundry room back door and I am having such fun watching them with their hungry mouths open :)

The robins in the bottom photo all had their beaks over the edge of the nest, just chillin'. When I popped my camera up over the one was staring at the lens.
The blue birds open their mouths so wide their necks can't support them and fall backwards. That is what you see in that photo.
The little caboose has some very small birds in it, and they pop their heads out and go back in, I can't get in there it is too close. They are the size of chickadees but aren't them.
Here is the mockingbird chick who fell out of its nest - easy to know as its parent was all over in a tizzy. I couldn't reach any of the others like you said, I could see the nest but not get close enough to take a photo.
mockingbird_chick_rescued.JPG

The robins in the bottom photo all had their beaks over the edge of the nest, just chillin'. When I popped my camera up over the one was staring at the lens.
The blue birds open their mouths so wide their necks can't support them and fall backwards. That is what you see in that photo.
The little caboose has some very small birds in it, and they pop their heads out and go back in, I can't get in there it is too close. They are the size of chickadees but aren't them.
Here is the mockingbird chick who fell out of its nest - easy to know as its parent was all over in a tizzy. I couldn't reach any of the others like you said, I could see the nest but not get close enough to take a photo.
mockingbird_chick_rescued.JPG
we were at friend's house last night and a baby robin had fallen out of the tree. mama was having a fit..but the nest was so high up we couldn't do anything to help...and then....their cats came "circling" :-( We chased them away..but I am sure the baby was a gonner later that night ...booo hooo.

lrg_Bluebird_box.JPG

Bluebird_chicks_B.JPG

lrg_Robin_Chicks.JPG
Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! :)

I got a great shot of a humming bird by the feeder. I would post it but my pictures are to big, and I don't know how to change the size. I'll be doing a blog on birds.

I got a great shot of a humming bird by the feeder. I would post it but my pictures are to big, and I don't know how to change the size. I'll be doing a blog on birds..
Email it to me and I can compress it for you.

Back