Booking.com issue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I have been trying to fix errors to my listing that booking has made. They have changed the text to include totally false information. I keep submitting change requests and they keep responding with a canned email that they have fixed them. Now I can no longer send them emails from my admin page. Every time I try to send an email I get the message - Please select a subject - and no matter what subject I select the message pops up again.
Given they are doing nothing about the scammer stealing the cc numbers using their info, I'm thinking it's time to call it quits.
Plus, 2 reservations in the past week have provided bad credit cards and then the guests have emailed saying there is nothing wrong with their cards, mad at me because the cards are failing.

I say...delete them from your business. I wouldn't put up with that kind of stuff. Who needs it? Does it really help your business?

Can you interface with Trip Connect? Am getting tons of reservations through them, costing me 25 cents a click from my page. Your listing ends up above everyone else on Bok, Expi, etc, when dates are searched. I think more and more folks are using them as an overall aggregator. Take back your life and your inn's identity and your SEO hijacked results!! No more commissions & far fewer PITAs. Love, loved all our guests today, and they loved us. Hoping to get some TA review love too!
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there.

Here is a wild idea. They have a page with all their worldwide offices. Might be worthwhile trying to stop in one, if any is at all near your location...
Go to North America > USA. Links to cities (as well as contact numbers for customer service and hotels)
http://www.booking.com/content/offices.html?sid=0688eb2f1ef1a5b17affc39810f3cf94;dcid=1
There is also a feedback link at the bottom of this page (for business owners, I believe):
https://join.booking.com/index.html?lang=en-us&aid=304142&label=FE_Footer

Here is a wild idea. They have a page with all their worldwide offices. Might be worthwhile trying to stop in one, if any is at all near your location...
Go to North America > USA. Links to cities (as well as contact numbers for customer service and hotels)
http://www.booking.com/content/offices.html?sid=0688eb2f1ef1a5b17affc39810f3cf94;dcid=1
There is also a feedback link at the bottom of this page (for business owners, I believe):
https://join.booking.com/index.html?lang=en-us&aid=304142&label=FE_Footer.
undersea said:
There are so few 'hotels' listed for my entire state that we don't even get a dedicated account rep. No, none are anywhere near me. Good try, tho!
If I call them I get whoever answers the phone and they don't know anything beyond a few guest-related help issues. (How to cancel a reservation, things like that.)

Can you interface with Trip Connect? Am getting tons of reservations through them, costing me 25 cents a click from my page. Your listing ends up above everyone else on Bok, Expi, etc, when dates are searched. I think more and more folks are using them as an overall aggregator. Take back your life and your inn's identity and your SEO hijacked results!! No more commissions & far fewer PITAs. Love, loved all our guests today, and they loved us. Hoping to get some TA review love too!
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there..
I can try that. This costs nothing more than the PPC, right? No commissions?

In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there..
I can try that. This costs nothing more than the PPC, right? No commissions?
Yes, no commissions! And since it's all through your own reservation system, you get all the info you usually get, including emails! No more bargain hunters or folks who are confused and don't understand B&Bs and necessary rules, and far fewer picky demanding eaters or PITAs. They have read your reviews and know who and how wonderful Mort & Gomez are!
I can also see what my competitors are charging for those particular dates, and like today, when I have one last minute empty room, I simply knock down the price on RK and TC picks it up, hoping someone will see our better deal.

First thing, clear your cookie for booking, clear your cache and try again. It could simply be a page error. If that doesn't work, call them on the phone and tell them that if your listing isn't corrected, you are simply going end the relationship. You need them to be your partner and that means that they need to step up to the plate (as we say in North America) and do it. But if you really want to get things "done" I would send a fax to them. This is their FAX number: +31 20 7125609 or call the Boston office directly at +1 857-702-4004. And maybe just ask them for a rep you can talk to in the Boston office, so that you are always talking to the same person.
Is the reason that the cards don't work related to it being a foreign transaction? Is it coming back as "bad" or is it coming back as "declined"? If it's declined, before you mark it as bad and have the resrevation cancelled, send a canned email saying something like:
"Please note your bank declined the deposit on the CC provided. We therefore have no choice but to cancel your reservation. Please contact your bank for clarification and to rectify the error and then feel free to rebook after that has been corrected. We are sorry for the problem and hope that you can clarify with your bank why the error occurred."
Or if you feel sorry for them and there is plenty of time... "ACTION REQUIRED! Your reservation will be cancelled in 24 hours if you do not respond. Please contact your bank as your deposit via your credit card has been declined. We will try again in 24 hours and if it is declined by your bank a second time, we will have to cancel your reservation. We are sorry for the problem and hope you can clarify with your bank why they have declined your deposit."
*Please do not email CC information as this is not a secure channel. Please contact booking.com directly to change the CC on file if required.
Notice that I kept on saying the same thing, pointing at their bank. Deflect the blame so they can find out why their bank refused the charge or what was wrong with the information they provided. (We had a case where the guest had given us the wrong year, the bank could see the error, told him why, called us back and fixed it.) I don't know if they allow bold, but those words in that order get noticed. See, it says "reservation cancelled bank declined".
So if you cancel it, they still have a message before the one from booking.com. And booking.com has a traceable reason for the cancellation. Hey, if they call you after it's cancelled, you can ask them if they want to book again with you on the phone :)

Momma Smurf said:
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there.
MS, I am so glad you are having such a great response with TC and at such a great rate. My PPC rate is closer to $2.00 each, still beats the OTA commissions by a long shot.
But I am not having the success you seem to be having.
I also have RK set up so I can see each one that clicks, what dates etc. So I do know they are looking. I have had a few reservations so I am still far ahead.
I am still getting more reservations made direct (which is a good thing) and siting TA as the way they found us.
The OTA's are still getting a big audience. And I am not positive, but don't think that they are coming through TA to get to the OTA instead of booking with me using TC.
My TC shows a cheaper rate (a room I do not list on the OTA's). In theory, it would seem that most would click on to my site through the TC link to see the prices, since the lowest price is less. If they are going to book I would presume they would either book the cheaper room OR notice that the other rooms are at the same exact price as the OTA's and just book direct.
So if my theory is correct, the majority of bookings I get through the OTA's are coming from their site directly. Thus if I am not listed on their sites, I may not get the booking at all.
If you are as busy as you want to be without an OTA, there is no reason to connect with them. For me at least for now, they are a necessary evil.

Not really looked at TC. Is there any issues using it (with RK) if you also use other OTAs? In other words, is your use of TC through your site going to sync with someone who might book with something like AirBnb, Booking, or another pathway normally handled by something like MyAllocator?

Not really looked at TC. Is there any issues using it (with RK) if you also use other OTAs? In other words, is your use of TC through your site going to sync with someone who might book with something like AirBnb, Booking, or another pathway normally handled by something like MyAllocator?
You can do TC through MA or through RK, but any time you get a reservation in RK, it will send out the update to MA. But AB... that's entirely a different problem, that only does push and every 6 hours or so.

Momma Smurf said:
MS, I am so glad you are having such a great response with TC and at such a great rate. My PPC rate is closer to $2.00 each, still beats the OTA commissions by a long shot.
I also have RK set up so I can see each one that clicks, what dates etc. So I do know they are looking. I have had a few reservations so I am still far ahead.
I am still getting more reservations made direct (which is a good thing) and siting TA as the way they found us.
The OTA's are still getting a big audience. And I am not positive, but don't think that they are coming through TA to get to the OTA instead of booking with me using TC.
My TC shows a cheaper rate (a room I do not list on the OTA's). In theory, it would seem that most would click on to my site through the TC link to see the prices, since the lowest price is less. If they are going to book I would presume they would either book the cheaper room OR notice that the other rooms are at the same exact price as the OTA's and just book direct.
So if my theory is correct, the majority of bookings I get through the OTA's are coming from their site directly. Thus if I am not listed on their sites, I may not get the booking at all.
If you are as busy as you want to be without an OTA, there is no reason to connect with them. For me at least for now, they are a necessary evil.
Yes, difficult to evaluate without cutting off Bookng entirely.
A few notes:
In our town, we B&Bs who use TC only are ranked higher in results when prices are searched on TA
Mort is listed in the coveted 3 Pack of Google Local Results, but because there is an OTA Price listed, when clicking on her place it does not go directly to her website only to the Google page with Booking calendar. We however, w/o an OTA have a direct Google link to our website in the 3 pack!! Priceless.
TC has access to all of our available rooms and shows them directly on RK.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
In our town, we B&Bs who use TC only are ranked higher in results when prices are searched on TA
Mort is listed in the coveted 3 Pack of Google Local Results, but because there is an OTA Price listed, when clicking on her place it does not go directly to her website only to the Google page with Booking calendar. We however, w/o an OTA have a direct Google link to our website in the 3 pack!! Priceless.
TC has access to all of our available rooms as well because it shows my RK.
Regarding Google Local (GL) though, I am at a loss. My listing on GL shows the OTA's but not my TC - I did not know GL was using TA's info? Is that right? And if so, why are they showing the OTA info and not my TC info as well?
EDITED: I see your GL listing shows your website in the big box. Mine does not (gives in the main list, not in the big box on the right). So maybe this is where people are going to book with the OTA's instead of my website?
Is this what you are telling me?

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Regarding Google Local (GL) though, I am at a loss. My listing on GL shows the OTA's but not my TC - I did not know GL was using TA's info? Is that right? And if so, why are they showing the OTA info and not my TC info as well?
EDITED: I see your GL listing shows your website in the big box. Mine does not (gives in the main list, not in the big box on the right). So maybe this is where people are going to book with the OTA's instead of my website?
Yes, but am just throwing it out there as an observation. This switched around April 1st. Google is trying to get a cut of Booking, so yes they are making folks with OTAs click into the GL page where they see the OTA link option. With us, they get to click directly to our website which is what we all want.
Can you look at G Analytics and compare your Google hits Pre & Post signing with Bking?
Copper! I just went to TA and searched with dates and it's pulling you up as #1 but is showing Booking NOT the TC link! "Official site" which is TC is buried to the side. And when I go to your actual TA page TC is the 3rd link shown, Booking is #1. This could definitely be why you are seeing so many reservations via Booking vs TC.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Yes, but am just throwing it out there as an observation. This switched around April 1st. Google is trying to get a cut of Booking, so yes they are making folks with OTAs click into the GL page where they see the OTA link option. With us, they get to click directly to our website which is what we all want.
Can you look at G Analytics and compare your Google hits Pre & Post signing with Bking?
Copper! I just went to TA and searched with dates and it's pulling you up as #1 but is showing Booking NOT the TC link! "Official site" which is TC is buried to the side. And when I go to your actual TA page TC is the 3rd link shown, Booking is #1. This could definitely be why you are seeing so many reservations via Booking vs TC.
Momma Smurf said:
And when I go to your actual TA page TC is the 3rd link shown, Booking is #1. This could definitely be why you are seeing so many reservations via Booking vs TC.
I've noticed in the past that they rotate them. If you visit TA on different days, sometimes Booking is #1, sometimes "Official Site" is #1, sometimes one of the others. I think the positioning is picked at random.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
I've been with Bking for 3 or more years now so at this point I don't feel it would be a good comparison.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, I know TC is not #1; that would cost me over $3 a click. I am paying $1.80 per click as it is now on the side or 2nd behind Booking when on my listing. Personally I think they rotate the 2nd and 3rd ranks as I have seen my TC toss back and forth. i do make sure it does not fall down to 4th or below.
When I started with TC a couple months ago, I believe I was paying $1.20 for first spot.
TA is going to up the price if there is any sign of competition. Since I am currently with Ex p edi a as well, that makes my battle even harder.
I am toying with changing my nightly minimums on the OTA's to reduce the ones in competition with me at any given time.
But again, you may have hit the answer to the question I was having with Google Local. At least it makes sense that this is some of the issue.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
I've been with Bking for 3 or more years now so at this point I don't feel it would be a good comparison.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, I know TC is not #1; that would cost me over $3 a click. I am paying $1.80 per click as it is now on the side or 2nd behind Booking when on my listing. Personally I think they rotate the 2nd and 3rd ranks as I have seen my TC toss back and forth. i do make sure it does not fall down to 4th or below.
When I started with TC a couple months ago, I believe I was paying $1.20 for first spot.
TA is going to up the price if there is any sign of competition. Since I am currently with Ex p edi a as well, that makes my battle even harder.
I am toying with changing my nightly minimums on the OTA's to reduce the ones in competition with me at any given time.
But again, you may have hit the answer to the question I was having with Google Local. At least it makes sense that this is some of the issue.
Nothing says you have to have the same minimum stays or maximum stays that you offer on your own website. You can also cut off a cheaper room from availability or by minimum stay so their price appears higher. If your software allows it, you can even block off Friday night arrivals, so they have to book with you for the weekends :)

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Are your bids so high because you are bidding against a large metro area?
Looking at Mort's town, it doesn't appear that anyone else is using TC, so perhaps her bids would be closer to mine?

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Looking at Mort's town, it doesn't appear that anyone else is using TC, so perhaps her bids would be closer to mine?
Momma Smurf said:
While being near a large metro area may have the PPC pricing a little higher, the main reason I think mine are higher than yours is the fact I am bidding against the OTAs for ranking.

Mort may have the same issue as me, may not as high though, as she would also be bidding against at least 1 OTA.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Nothing says you have to have the same minimum stays or maximum stays that you offer on your own website. You can also cut off a cheaper room from availability or by minimum stay so their price appears higher. If your software allows it, you can even block off Friday night arrivals, so they have to book with you for the weekends :)
Jon Sable said:
Correct Jon! I had set up for 4 night min. with Ex ped ia until we hit our slow season, but have it back at 4 that is if I keep that OTA. Bking I keep a 2 night min on weekends. Why the difference? The commission rates.

Back