Booking.com issue

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you interface with Trip Connect? Am getting tons of reservations through them, costing me 25 cents a click from my page. Your listing ends up above everyone else on Bok, Expi, etc, when dates are searched. I think more and more folks are using them as an overall aggregator. Take back your life and your inn's identity and your SEO hijacked results!! No more commissions & far fewer PITAs. Love, loved all our guests today, and they loved us. Hoping to get some TA review love too!
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there..
Momma Smurf said:
Can you interface with Trip Connect? Am getting tons of reservations through them, costing me 25 cents a click from my page. Your listing ends up above everyone else on Bok, Expi, etc, when dates are searched. I think more and more folks are using them as an overall aggregator. Take back your life and your inn's identity and your SEO hijacked results!! No more commissions & far fewer PITAs. Love, loved all our guests today, and they loved us. Hoping to get some TA review love too!
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there.
MS, I am so glad you are having such a great response with TC and at such a great rate. My PPC rate is closer to $2.00 each, still beats the OTA commissions by a long shot.
But I am not having the success you seem to be having.
I also have RK set up so I can see each one that clicks, what dates etc. So I do know they are looking. I have had a few reservations so I am still far ahead.
I am still getting more reservations made direct (which is a good thing) and siting TA as the way they found us.
The OTA's are still getting a big audience. And I am not positive, but don't think that they are coming through TA to get to the OTA instead of booking with me using TC.
My TC shows a cheaper rate (a room I do not list on the OTA's). In theory, it would seem that most would click on to my site through the TC link to see the prices, since the lowest price is less. If they are going to book I would presume they would either book the cheaper room OR notice that the other rooms are at the same exact price as the OTA's and just book direct.
So if my theory is correct, the majority of bookings I get through the OTA's are coming from their site directly. Thus if I am not listed on their sites, I may not get the booking at all.
If you are as busy as you want to be without an OTA, there is no reason to connect with them. For me at least for now, they are a necessary evil.
Yes, difficult to evaluate without cutting off Bookng entirely.
A few notes:
In our town, we B&Bs who use TC only are ranked higher in results when prices are searched on TA
Mort is listed in the coveted 3 Pack of Google Local Results, but because there is an OTA Price listed, when clicking on her place it does not go directly to her website only to the Google page with Booking calendar. We however, w/o an OTA have a direct Google link to our website in the 3 pack!! Priceless.
TC has access to all of our available rooms and shows them directly on RK.
TC has access to all of our available rooms as well because it shows my RK.
Regarding Google Local (GL) though, I am at a loss. My listing on GL shows the OTA's but not my TC - I did not know GL was using TA's info? Is that right? And if so, why are they showing the OTA info and not my TC info as well?
EDITED: I see your GL listing shows your website in the big box. Mine does not (gives in the main list, not in the big box on the right). So maybe this is where people are going to book with the OTA's instead of my website?
Is this what you are telling me?
Yes, but am just throwing it out there as an observation. This switched around April 1st. Google is trying to get a cut of Booking, so yes they are making folks with OTAs click into the GL page where they see the OTA link option. With us, they get to click directly to our website which is what we all want.
Can you look at G Analytics and compare your Google hits Pre & Post signing with Bking?
Copper! I just went to TA and searched with dates and it's pulling you up as #1 but is showing Booking NOT the TC link! "Official site" which is TC is buried to the side. And when I go to your actual TA page TC is the 3rd link shown, Booking is #1. This could definitely be why you are seeing so many reservations via Booking vs TC.
Momma Smurf said:
Can you look at G Analytics and compare your Google hits Pre & Post signing with Bking?
I've been with Bking for 3 or more years now so at this point I don't feel it would be a good comparison.
Momma Smurf said:
Copper! I just went to TA and searched with dates and it's pulling you up as #1 but is showing Booking NOT the TC link! "Official site" which is TC is buried to the side. And when I go to your actual TA page TC is the 3rd link shown, Booking is #1. This could definitely be why you are seeing so many reservations via Booking vs TC.
Yes, I know TC is not #1; that would cost me over $3 a click. I am paying $1.80 per click as it is now on the side or 2nd behind Booking when on my listing. Personally I think they rotate the 2nd and 3rd ranks as I have seen my TC toss back and forth. i do make sure it does not fall down to 4th or below.
When I started with TC a couple months ago, I believe I was paying $1.20 for first spot.
TA is going to up the price if there is any sign of competition. Since I am currently with Ex p edi a as well, that makes my battle even harder.
I am toying with changing my nightly minimums on the OTA's to reduce the ones in competition with me at any given time.
But again, you may have hit the answer to the question I was having with Google Local. At least it makes sense that this is some of the issue.
Are your bids so high because you are bidding against a large metro area?
Looking at Mort's town, it doesn't appear that anyone else is using TC, so perhaps her bids would be closer to mine?
Momma Smurf said:
Looking at Mort's town, it doesn't appear that anyone else is using TC, so perhaps her bids would be closer to mine?
While being near a large metro area may have the PPC pricing a little higher, the main reason I think mine are higher than yours is the fact I am bidding against the OTAs for ranking.

Mort may have the same issue as me, may not as high though, as she would also be bidding against at least 1 OTA.
So is it OTAs for only B&Bs that are being bid against?
Funny, because there are 4 areas of our actual town, we show up in results for the entire town and our little village (a few years ago TA asked for input re smaller areas being included in the general area and I sent in a request). There are 3 OTA hotels, no B&Bs for the village, but the entire town has at least 5 OTA B&Bs & 12 OTA hotels and we still only pay .25.

In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there..
Momma Smurf said:
In RK, I am also able to see who is searching and reserving through TC, plus it's sometimes a secret heads up as to who found us there.
MS, I am so glad you are having such a great response with TC and at such a great rate. My PPC rate is closer to $2.00 each, still beats the OTA commissions by a long shot.
I also have RK set up so I can see each one that clicks, what dates etc. So I do know they are looking. I have had a few reservations so I am still far ahead.
I am still getting more reservations made direct (which is a good thing) and siting TA as the way they found us.
The OTA's are still getting a big audience. And I am not positive, but don't think that they are coming through TA to get to the OTA instead of booking with me using TC.
My TC shows a cheaper rate (a room I do not list on the OTA's). In theory, it would seem that most would click on to my site through the TC link to see the prices, since the lowest price is less. If they are going to book I would presume they would either book the cheaper room OR notice that the other rooms are at the same exact price as the OTA's and just book direct.
So if my theory is correct, the majority of bookings I get through the OTA's are coming from their site directly. Thus if I am not listed on their sites, I may not get the booking at all.
If you are as busy as you want to be without an OTA, there is no reason to connect with them. For me at least for now, they are a necessary evil.
A few notes:
In our town, we B&Bs who use TC only are ranked higher in results when prices are searched on TA
Mort is listed in the coveted 3 Pack of Google Local Results, but because there is an OTA Price listed, when clicking on her place it does not go directly to her website only to the Google page with Booking calendar. We however, w/o an OTA have a direct Google link to our website in the 3 pack!! Priceless.
Regarding Google Local (GL) though, I am at a loss. My listing on GL shows the OTA's but not my TC - I did not know GL was using TA's info? Is that right? And if so, why are they showing the OTA info and not my TC info as well?
EDITED: I see your GL listing shows your website in the big box. Mine does not (gives in the main list, not in the big box on the right). So maybe this is where people are going to book with the OTA's instead of my website?
Yes, but am just throwing it out there as an observation. This switched around April 1st. Google is trying to get a cut of Booking, so yes they are making folks with OTAs click into the GL page where they see the OTA link option. With us, they get to click directly to our website which is what we all want.
Momma Smurf said:
I've been with Bking for 3 or more years now so at this point I don't feel it would be a good comparison.
Momma Smurf said:
Yes, I know TC is not #1; that would cost me over $3 a click. I am paying $1.80 per click as it is now on the side or 2nd behind Booking when on my listing. Personally I think they rotate the 2nd and 3rd ranks as I have seen my TC toss back and forth. i do make sure it does not fall down to 4th or below.
When I started with TC a couple months ago, I believe I was paying $1.20 for first spot.
TA is going to up the price if there is any sign of competition. Since I am currently with Ex p edi a as well, that makes my battle even harder.
I am toying with changing my nightly minimums on the OTA's to reduce the ones in competition with me at any given time.
But again, you may have hit the answer to the question I was having with Google Local. At least it makes sense that this is some of the issue.
Momma Smurf said:
While being near a large metro area may have the PPC pricing a little higher, the main reason I think mine are higher than yours is the fact I am bidding against the OTAs for ranking.

Mort may have the same issue as me, may not as high though, as she would also be bidding against at least 1 OTA.
Funny, because there are 4 areas of our actual town, we show up in results for the entire town and our little village (a few years ago TA asked for input re smaller areas being included in the general area and I sent in a request). There are 3 OTA hotels, no B&Bs for the village, but the entire town has at least 5 OTA B&Bs & 12 OTA hotels and we still only pay .25.
Yes, but unless YOU are listed with these OTAs yourself, you are not bidding against them for your TC rank. You personally have no one to bid against you so it is the base PPC rate.
Since I am playing against the OTAs, the PPC bidding is higher based on how much the OTA is willing to bid for my B&B - and bid against me!

Now back to the topic at hand.
As I mentioned in another thread, I had a face to face meeting with my Bking rep yesterday.
I mentioned my dislike about the new policy regarding guest emails. She said she is hearing about this from every partner - hotels and B&Bs. She has passed it on to her management who passes it on up the chain.
The feedback she gets is 'they (corp) are not hearing this from the partners'
Her recommendation? Submit feedback via the website, under the extranet contact section. She said they read each and every one and submit them to the proper department(s). She said the power is in the numbers. Don't just say there is noting you can do, speak your mind and make sure others do too.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:

Yes, but unless YOU are listed with these OTAs yourself, you are not bidding against them for your TC rank. You personally have no one to bid against you so it is the base PPC rate.
Since I am playing against the OTAs, the PPC bidding is higher based on how much the OTA is willing to bid for my B&B - and bid against me!
Ah! So essentially without using any OTAs, TC is truly a bargain.

Momma Smurf said:
A few notes:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:
Momma Smurf said:

Ah! So essentially without using any OTAs, TC is truly a bargain.
That's our situation. No OTA's but TC helps you be found on TA when people put in dates, which is the prominent way TA is pushing users to go.

And it gets worse. Just had a guest check in who said they booked a room with 2 beds. Nowhere do we say, or show photos of a room with 2 beds.
I went to the booking site to try to do the reservation process. All the way into the reservation there it is - 2 beds.
So now I have to upgrade this guest at my own expense and no one at booking can tell me where that info came from. These are not the only booking guests here tonight. I can't move any other guests to other rooms.
Will be checking out TC on Monday.

And it gets worse. Just had a guest check in who said they booked a room with 2 beds. Nowhere do we say, or show photos of a room with 2 beds.
I went to the booking site to try to do the reservation process. All the way into the reservation there it is - 2 beds.
So now I have to upgrade this guest at my own expense and no one at booking can tell me where that info came from. These are not the only booking guests here tonight. I can't move any other guests to other rooms.
Will be checking out TC on Monday..
i dont know why you would consider keeping them one day longer! sounds like nothing but problems to me. do they bring you any real income from guests? get rid of them.

i dont know why you would consider keeping them one day longer! sounds like nothing but problems to me. do they bring you any real income from guests? get rid of them.
I use both XP and BK and I have to tell you that they do fill a lot of rooms and introduce some people to us that haven't noticed us before. We recently had guests who live in the big city to our west who booked via XP but the entire reservation was done in Korean. I saw their reservation. So they may not have been comfortable booking directly with us, the first time, but here they could do most of the transaction in their native tongue. And I checked BK and I'm there in English, French, Spanish, German, Italian and Chinese.
Maybe the experience is different because I have a rep... maybe it's different because I would make their lives miserable until everything was done right on my page and I would lock out the rooms until it was.
And people are taking our cards for their friends and next visit and we mention how to book direct. We have also gotten a few people who have used points or their company insists that it be booked via XP too.

I use both XP and BK and I have to tell you that they do fill a lot of rooms and introduce some people to us that haven't noticed us before. We recently had guests who live in the big city to our west who booked via XP but the entire reservation was done in Korean. I saw their reservation. So they may not have been comfortable booking directly with us, the first time, but here they could do most of the transaction in their native tongue. And I checked BK and I'm there in English, French, Spanish, German, Italian and Chinese.
Maybe the experience is different because I have a rep... maybe it's different because I would make their lives miserable until everything was done right on my page and I would lock out the rooms until it was.
And people are taking our cards for their friends and next visit and we mention how to book direct. We have also gotten a few people who have used points or their company insists that it be booked via XP too.
I now have the supervisor's name and phone number. If this was not resolved tonight I was going to pull my listings until that person got back to me.
As it was, again, the person on the phone kept saying, " I can't see your listing, you have no rooms open."
Try a different date already. Yes I'm full tonight!
Finally talked them thru it. Finally they saw what the guests are seeing. And it's fixed. They took out all the stuff that says guests have views and that we give away free stuff.
Am still checking on TC on Monday.

How long have you been using them?

Jon Sable said:
... maybe it's different because I would make their lives miserable until everything was done right on my page and I would lock out the rooms until it was.
Bingo.

undersea said:
About 2 years.

I now have the supervisor's name and phone number. If this was not resolved tonight I was going to pull my listings until that person got back to me.
As it was, again, the person on the phone kept saying, " I can't see your listing, you have no rooms open."
Finally talked them thru it. Finally they saw what the guests are seeing. And it's fixed. They took out all the stuff that says guests have views and that we give away free stuff.
Morticia said:
Still contact that rep on Monday. Get answers as to why your listing was changed without your knowledge. Tell them what this COST you in order to satisfy this guest due to their changes.
I would also tell them that you should be notified when you get a change in rep. Each one should reach out to you (and all their clients) as the CS on the phone are all idiots.

About TC, your booking engine has to be able to link up to TC. I was going to check if it was compatible but am unable because I am already using TC so it won't let me check.

Morticia said:
Still contact that rep on Monday. Get answers as to why your listing was changed without your knowledge. Tell them what this COST you in order to satisfy this guest due to their changes.
I would also tell them that you should be notified when you get a change in rep. Each one should reach out to you (and all their clients) as the CS on the phone are all idiots.

About TC, your booking engine has to be able to link up to TC. I was going to check if it was compatible but am unable because I am already using TC so it won't let me check.
Ugh, I don't see Mort's on there: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ConnectivityPartners
unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

Morticia said:

Ugh, I don't see Mort's on there: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ConnectivityPartners
unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

Momma Smurf said:
unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif
Didn't think so!

Morticia said:

unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

When I go to Morticias TA page, I get a book .c om and a pric l. options. So what seems to be the issue?? I am clueless on this stuff as I never used any of it and probably still wouldn't if I was in business today.

Morticia said:

unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

I've emailed them to ask if there is a way to do this. Does it HAVE to be done that way or can I just keep track of it myself?

Morticia said:

unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

When I go to Morticias TA page, I get a book .c om and a pric l. options. So what seems to be the issue?? I am clueless on this stuff as I never used any of it and probably still wouldn't if I was in business today.
EmptyNest said:
The issue is booking causing me so much grief. If I can get away from it and get more direct reservations, then all to the good.

Morticia said:

unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

EmptyNest said:
The issue is booking causing me so much grief. If I can get away from it and get more direct reservations, then all to the good.
Is all this grief worth it? Does it make you any money? If not, drop them!

Morticia said:

unless there is an alias
confused_smile.gif

I've emailed them to ask if there is a way to do this. Does it HAVE to be done that way or can I just keep track of it myself?
Morticia said:
I believe you must have real time bookings though a reservation service that has been set up to interface with TA.

Back