Breakfast - it's all about timing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What's your policy in re breakfast and how long it takes to cook and serve?
I'm thinking of slowing down the pace, but I'm not sure if guests are looking at breakfast as something to linger over or something to get out of the way in order to get on with their day.
Presently breakfast takes about 30 minutes from seating to finishing. Guests are seated, given the first course, they drink their coffee and chat. It takes about 20 minutes to cook their breakfast. All the while new guests are sitting, others are leaving, etc. Some take 30 minutes to eat (ugh, cold eggs). Others bolt the food down and then run.
If we could plan on thirty minutes for cooking, we could serve a lot of different breakfasts that we presently don't think we have 'time' for.
Is it too long to ask guests to wait thirty minutes for their entree? I do know there are those who are anxious after five minutes have gone by and they don't see food coming their way. Others get up and walk away, back to the rooms for a book or something to read. Other people sit and chat and don't seem to notice.
Would it help if I said, "I'm just going to tell Gomez you're seated and he'll start cooking. It will be about 20 minutes."?

I like to sit and relax when I eat especially with family and friends. But when you read restaurants review, complaints are about service too slow, not good service, etc. Also the praise is on the service being quick,etc. Do what works for you, but keep this in mind.

Hmm.. all of our breakfasts are designed to be ready to go within a few minutes of the guests taking their seats. We have a time the guests gave us from the night before, most guests are within 15 minutes of that time. They come down- take a seat- coffee press or tea goes out- and then- within a couple of minutes- the main plate. We've never thought of slowing breakfast down.

20 minutes to wait for the main course is a long time. Unless it's a souffle or something like that that needs to be served directly from the oven, can't you make some entrees that can hold for awhile?

I like to sit and relax when I eat especially with family and friends. But when you read restaurants review, complaints are about service too slow, not good service, etc. Also the praise is on the service being quick,etc. Do what works for you, but keep this in mind..
I think a lot of that also comes from being ignored after the order is taken. Although, telling the diners the main course will take an hour to prepare might help when the kitchen is backed up. No, never mind, it doesn't. Diners think the kitchen should be sized accordingly.
Guests can watch the cook at work here so they see that something is always happening, he's not out back having a cigar.
And I'm the entertainment. Getting maps, giving directions, running down the hours for all the events going on.
What I've considered doing is slowing down the first course. Not running it out ASAP. Maybe getting their food order first, then bringing out the starter.
I don't like to start a table's food until they are all seated. That's always a moving target around here.

20 minutes to wait for the main course is a long time. Unless it's a souffle or something like that that needs to be served directly from the oven, can't you make some entrees that can hold for awhile?.
The only thing we make like that now is quiche. Everything else is cooked right then.
We got rid of almost all of the casserole dishes because they look like crap 2 hours later when the last room is sitting down.

Hmm.. all of our breakfasts are designed to be ready to go within a few minutes of the guests taking their seats. We have a time the guests gave us from the night before, most guests are within 15 minutes of that time. They come down- take a seat- coffee press or tea goes out- and then- within a couple of minutes- the main plate. We've never thought of slowing breakfast down..
We don't do scheduled times. Most guests can't think that far in advance around here. Then it also gets into 'what are you serving'. And I get the impression they'll show or not depending on what's on the menu.
I might try reversing the order of presentation. Ask first about the main course then bring out the starters.

20 minutes to wait for the main course is a long time. Unless it's a souffle or something like that that needs to be served directly from the oven, can't you make some entrees that can hold for awhile?.
The only thing we make like that now is quiche. Everything else is cooked right then.
We got rid of almost all of the casserole dishes because they look like crap 2 hours later when the last room is sitting down.
Morticia said:
You can always stagger the baked dish....one that's ready at 8:00, one that's ready at 8:45, etc. Nothing looks or tastes good when it's been sitting for 2 hours.
So when you serve omelets, does it feel different? Do they still have to wait 20 minutes when it's omelets?

Morticia said:
You can always stagger the baked dish....one that's ready at 8:00, one that's ready at 8:45, etc. Nothing looks or tastes good when it's been sitting for 2 hours.
So when you serve omelets, does it feel different? Do they still have to wait 20 minutes when it's omelets?
20 minutes for everything. Pancakes, omelets, waffles, you name it. 20 minutes.

Hmm.. all of our breakfasts are designed to be ready to go within a few minutes of the guests taking their seats. We have a time the guests gave us from the night before, most guests are within 15 minutes of that time. They come down- take a seat- coffee press or tea goes out- and then- within a couple of minutes- the main plate. We've never thought of slowing breakfast down..
We don't do scheduled times. Most guests can't think that far in advance around here. Then it also gets into 'what are you serving'. And I get the impression they'll show or not depending on what's on the menu.
I might try reversing the order of presentation. Ask first about the main course then bring out the starters.
The time is quite flexible and we can almost always move folks up or down within our 2 hour framework without too much trouble.
My reply to the WHAT question is, " It locally sourced chef's choice. I have been known to add, "You never know what might show up by then." or "I've been known to wing it once in a while." Of course, if they dietary needs, that's a great time for saying, "If I remember right, you are gluten free paleo. I've got you covered."
I think my main idea was that we have our kitchen in prep mode from about 6:15 am and cooking or putting the entree together is all that has to be done once they come down. Think two, three, four compartments instead of courses, a 12 inch plate, the fruit, vegetable, and add-ons are all ready- just waiting for those savory crepes etc.
The more I typed, the further away from helping I got. A healthy desert course could work.
embaressed_smile.gif

We're small so we have the luxury of asking what time guest want breakfast and we cook for that time, leaving the eggs until I see their eyeballs. That's their only wait. We do have coffee ready from six-fifteen on (since we always get up super early) and some type of fruit and juice before (and during) the appointed time. It's a get-to-meet-you time since the kitchen, dining, and living room is all one big area. I can talk and cook at the same time since I am multi-taskural. We serve buffet style or family style, depending on how many guests and what I'm cooking. Plus I have glass domes to keep food warm but hardy need to use them.

Morticia said:
20 minutes for everything. Pancakes, omelets, waffles, you name it. 20 minutes.
Okay, the 20 minutes is what I was trying to address- couldn't see myself sitting down for breakfast and drinking coffee for that long. Stayed at a place with a set time once ( I get you are not set) and we just had to move on before it was served.) when folks come down for breakfast, we try to serve them and get them out the door as soon as they want to go (or Not)

As you all know, I am VERY small. I ask what time is breakfast and try to time things accordingly. Fruit, juices, and muffins are on the table when they come down. Then I ask if they take cream and fill the carafe with coffee and if needed the cream pitcher. By the time they have started coffee and juice, the entree is out of the oven. I serve family style so they can just tuck in. Sunday morning is almost always going to be baked oatmeal because it is usually 12:30 AM by the time i get in from Chapel and that puppy is sitting in the fridge waiting to be popped in the oven in the morning. Otherwise I rarely ask what they would prefer - it is cook's choice which depends on what is in the fridge and my mood. (An I rolled over breakfast is most likely to be biscuits with ham egg cups - easy and really fast.)
Morticia - try it. Get thin sliced ham (like you would use for roll-ups). Spray regular size muffin pans, take 2 slices of ham crossed and tuck into the muffin cup. Break 1 egg in each - add a dab of sour cream, whatever herb that floats your boat (I have used chives a few times or basil), and a tad of cheddar cheese. Oven is pre-heated to 450. Biscuits & muffin pan go in. 15 minutes later they come out. Serve. I figure 2 per person - biscuits & eggs. So far they have been well received. Pop first pans in oven when you hear them coming down. Should be ready by the time the juice is out.

As you all know, I am VERY small. I ask what time is breakfast and try to time things accordingly. Fruit, juices, and muffins are on the table when they come down. Then I ask if they take cream and fill the carafe with coffee and if needed the cream pitcher. By the time they have started coffee and juice, the entree is out of the oven. I serve family style so they can just tuck in. Sunday morning is almost always going to be baked oatmeal because it is usually 12:30 AM by the time i get in from Chapel and that puppy is sitting in the fridge waiting to be popped in the oven in the morning. Otherwise I rarely ask what they would prefer - it is cook's choice which depends on what is in the fridge and my mood. (An I rolled over breakfast is most likely to be biscuits with ham egg cups - easy and really fast.)
Morticia - try it. Get thin sliced ham (like you would use for roll-ups). Spray regular size muffin pans, take 2 slices of ham crossed and tuck into the muffin cup. Break 1 egg in each - add a dab of sour cream, whatever herb that floats your boat (I have used chives a few times or basil), and a tad of cheddar cheese. Oven is pre-heated to 450. Biscuits & muffin pan go in. 15 minutes later they come out. Serve. I figure 2 per person - biscuits & eggs. So far they have been well received. Pop first pans in oven when you hear them coming down. Should be ready by the time the juice is out..
If we could get 4-5 sets going in the same oven at once and take the right one out, that's a good recipe. We've served it when we have one room.
We're dealing with:
  • Very small kitchen, it's as wide as the stove for floor space. Not possible to open fridge and dish washer simultaneously.
  • No prep space once the griddle comes out
  • Cook who cannot, canNOT handle more than one task at a time
  • Prep work is all done from 6am to 7am
  • Nothing except bacon is cooked in advance
I guess trying to extend breakfast is not the way to go. Have to work on MY part then as that's the only part I can control.

We serve breakfast at set time but offer them an opportunity to have it at a different time if they wish. Breakfast takes almost an hour. From start to finish, and most sit around drinking / sipping coffee afterwards. A very small number leave right away after breakfast. I've started a game with hubby in guessing which guests are teachers or other fields that require them to eat quickly. LOL! Almost all teachers eat fast.

As soon as I hear movement, the coffee gets started. I either always have something freshly baked, either a sweetbread made the night before or something still warm from the oven. Most linger over that basket. When they've actually sat down, nothing longer than 20 minutes. That's bacon in the oven, or sausages, or ham, etc, frittatas, you get the idea. Meanwhile, a fruit plate with a side of yogurt when I see they've slowed down from the baked goods. When I clear the dishes from the fruit, I say that their hot meal is just a few minutes away. If it's busy, they're chatting with other guests or they get up and take pictures of the beautiful view from the dining room. If people like to slow things down, they'll relax after they've eaten and have that third cup of coffee or finish up what they haven't eaten out of their baked goods basket. I'd rather be prompt than slow.

Morticia - try it. Get thin sliced ham (like you would use for roll-ups). Spray regular size muffin pans, take 2 slices of ham crossed and tuck into the muffin cup. Break 1 egg in each - add a dab of sour cream, whatever herb that floats your boat (I have used chives a few times or basil), and a tad of cheddar cheese. Oven is pre-heated to 450. Biscuits & muffin pan go in. 15 minutes later they come out. Serve. I figure 2 per person - biscuits & eggs. So far they have been well received. Pop first pans in oven when you hear them coming down. Should be ready by the time the juice is out..
If we could get 4-5 sets going in the same oven at once and take the right one out, that's a good recipe. We've served it when we have one room.
We're dealing with:
  • Very small kitchen, it's as wide as the stove for floor space. Not possible to open fridge and dish washer simultaneously.
I guess trying to extend breakfast is not the way to go. Have to work on MY part then as that's the only part I can control.
I'm sorry. I understand no space. And I thought i had it rough. Most of the counter space here has been appropriated by Himself (I only live here). I use the top of his steamer (flat space) on the sideboard he filled up, for a cookie sheet of bacon waiting for the oven, the top of the washer for the racks with muffins, and my mixing space (biscuit forming) space is about 18x24 inches I think - never measured it, and now that I have a glass top stove I have another flat surface. Everything works OK as long as he stays out of the kitchen. Once he gets up and starts making his breakfast, I lose the top of the stove and must dance around him to finish breakfast.

We're dealing with:
Double post

We do two seatings, an hour apart. Some guests still need to be ushered out after 55 minutes...

Breakfast is 8:30 to 9:30. I do not put a baked good basket on the table. First course is ready right at 8:30 and ready to head to table as guests sit down, could be a scone, two mini muffins, fruit plate, fruit parfait, poached pears - I vary it daily. I typically do scones or two mini muffins when I'm serving and egg dish, fruit when it's a sweet, heavier dish. Hubby takes out the first course and then comes back in to get their juice order. When he delivers that I then either start cooking the waffles, french toast or pancakes or if it's an egg soufflé or frittata or quiche, I plate their food as soon as he brings back their empty first dish. Guests typically only take about 10 minutes with their first course and the main course then goes right out. No waiting - I find that it's better to get them their food right away and they can eat it at their pace rather than them sitting there waiting for their dish to come out, especially for those folks who may not be chatty with anyone else. Has worked for 10 years great.

Latest posts

Back