Breakfast - it's all about timing

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like to sit and relax when I eat especially with family and friends. But when you read restaurants review, complaints are about service too slow, not good service, etc. Also the praise is on the service being quick,etc. Do what works for you, but keep this in mind..
I think a lot of that also comes from being ignored after the order is taken. Although, telling the diners the main course will take an hour to prepare might help when the kitchen is backed up. No, never mind, it doesn't. Diners think the kitchen should be sized accordingly.
Guests can watch the cook at work here so they see that something is always happening, he's not out back having a cigar.
And I'm the entertainment. Getting maps, giving directions, running down the hours for all the events going on.
What I've considered doing is slowing down the first course. Not running it out ASAP. Maybe getting their food order first, then bringing out the starter.
I don't like to start a table's food until they are all seated. That's always a moving target around here.
I like the idea of greeting and getting the order first. Then they know they are taken care of and you can serve the fruit plate after delivering the order. You cut off a few waiting minutes while giving them food while they wait.
We do buffet. Not much timing involved. Put it out at 8 and clean it up at 10.
But we also don't do very exciting food. Scrambled or hard boiled eggs. Bacon, French toast or pancakes. Yogurt, fresh fruit, cereals, muffins.

I think we should all count our blessings to have a space big enough to do prep and cooking. My kitchen is small (as Sanctuary puts it, a one-butt kitchen) as in narrow, but I CAN even though it is frustrating to do, work around Himself and also keep messy cooking pans out of their sight.
One of the blessings of this Forum is to be reminded of how good we have it when we think we do not. Thank you, Morticia, I will think of you next time Himself decides to make his breakfast in the middle of my cooking instead of thoughts of He_fty bags and cement.

What I've considered doing is slowing down the first course. Not running it out ASAP. Maybe getting their food order first, then bringing out the starter.
Here's your answer.

Here's your answer..
Ice said:
Here's your answer.
After 10 years, the rut is pretty deep. Back in December I asked first about the entree because the guests sat down at 9:35. When putting away the condiments after they had their eggs I found the starter in the fridge.
I need a total retraining.

Have to say - I so admire all of your abilities to get that beautiful breakfast out! I don't have that challenge for our cottages...

I think we should all count our blessings to have a space big enough to do prep and cooking. My kitchen is small (as Sanctuary puts it, a one-butt kitchen) as in narrow, but I CAN even though it is frustrating to do, work around Himself and also keep messy cooking pans out of their sight.
One of the blessings of this Forum is to be reminded of how good we have it when we think we do not. Thank you, Morticia, I will think of you next time Himself decides to make his breakfast in the middle of my cooking instead of thoughts of He_fty bags and cement..
gillumhouse said:
I think we should all count our blessings to have a space big enough to do prep and cooking.....
One of the blessings of this Forum is to be reminded of how good we have it when we think we do not.....
I just found out that I'm spoiled rotten! I just walked off the kitchen 21 step length and eleven wide of floor space with counters and cupboards on three walls and an island in the middle. (above and below)

One of the blessings of this Forum is to be reminded of how good we have it when we think we do not. Thank you, Morticia, I will think of you next time Himself decides to make his breakfast in the middle of my cooking instead of thoughts of He_fty bags and cement..
gillumhouse said:
I think we should all count our blessings to have a space big enough to do prep and cooking.....
One of the blessings of this Forum is to be reminded of how good we have it when we think we do not.....
I just found out that I'm spoiled rotten! I just walked off the kitchen 21 step length and eleven wide of floor space with counters and cupboards on three walls and an island in the middle. (above and below)
Duff2014 said:
Yeah, you got that right. My kitchen and dining room combined are not that large.
My prep area, where I plate the breakfast, holds 4 plates. Period. If we have 6 breakfasts at once? I'm balancing the plates on the edge of the counter and praying gravity doesn't suddenly shift.

gillumhouse said:
My kitchen (formerly a back porch until 1952) is 19 feet long and 9 feet wide. The length is - counter mostly filled with Himself's cooking needs, 10 inch filler after replacing 40 inch stove. a 30 inch stove, 1950s double sink with drain boards each side, fridge, dryer, and washer. This covers wall-to-wall. The opposite wall has a space heater and then the sideboard (Himself also little by little took that surface too). I am still count my blessings.

we replaced the kitchen that came with the house. My stomach hurt every time I thought about the money. but I would do it again in a heartbeat. If at all possible, consider it. It was tedious, stressful, expensive and sooooooo worth it.
AND - when the PO saw it she said, "I always wanted to move the sink to the corner...." She loved it and wished she'd done it.

gillumhouse said:
Duff2014 said:
Yeah, you got that right. My kitchen and dining room combined are not that large.
My prep area, where I plate the breakfast, holds 4 plates. Period. If we have 6 breakfasts at once? I'm balancing the plates on the edge of the counter and praying gravity doesn't suddenly shift.
Morticia said:
Duff2014 said:
Except for in space, gravity always points down even in an earthquake at the equator.....the plates are going down!

we replaced the kitchen that came with the house. My stomach hurt every time I thought about the money. but I would do it again in a heartbeat. If at all possible, consider it. It was tedious, stressful, expensive and sooooooo worth it.
AND - when the PO saw it she said, "I always wanted to move the sink to the corner...." She loved it and wished she'd done it..
There is nothing like having the right tool and space.

Breakfast is all about...
And so, as mentioned we have a concert venue here now. While this means more guests it also means something else, hotel people. I am working at getting my mind around this. Year 1 I had a misconception of bed and breakfasts, from my own experience. We have guests all the time who have a misconception of B&B's overall from their experience or lackthereof. We have had so many people ask about scary gourmet-ish breakfast and they just want regular food. Which I cook and serve, daily. Good hot delicious breakfasts!
Today I made a beautiful fruit starter and this is how it came back - they didn't even attempt to TRY either of these fruits, of which I love.
The main breakfast today is blueberry pancakes, bacon, scramb eggs and garnish of strawb fan. That they will eat, I am sure of it.
This is part of my "casual" approach to the inn. I prob won't change this too much, as eating to me is 50% - at least - all about the eye, before you even taste it.
I took this photo to show you what they left:
kiwi%20star.jpg

And so, as mentioned we have a concert venue here now. While this means more guests it also means something else, hotel people. I am working at getting my mind around this. Year 1 I had a misconception of bed and breakfasts, from my own experience. We have guests all the time who have a misconception of B&B's overall from their experience or lackthereof. We have had so many people ask about scary gourmet-ish breakfast and they just want regular food. Which I cook and serve, daily. Good hot delicious breakfasts!
Today I made a beautiful fruit starter and this is how it came back - they didn't even attempt to TRY either of these fruits, of which I love.
The main breakfast today is blueberry pancakes, bacon, scramb eggs and garnish of strawb fan. That they will eat, I am sure of it.
This is part of my "casual" approach to the inn. I prob won't change this too much, as eating to me is 50% - at least - all about the eye, before you even taste it.
kiwi%20star.jpg
I agree about food and what people won't eat. And about the 'fear' of gourmet food. We've had the question asked a few times and I joke about it in our FAQ's. "No we won't make you eat strange food."
You'll shake your head but I have never had star fruit. I guess if Gomez sees it at the store I'll have him bring one home.

kiwi%20star.jpg
I'll try just about anything, unless I know what it is! LOL
Yes lots ask what's for breakfast in a sorta scary way. Since we name some of our dishes cute regional names we get that look of horror sometimes which is sorta fun.. then we quickly explain what is in it. Ya gotta have fun.

I do serve casseroles and other baked type dishes but nothing out of what I call the normal breakfast foods.

In other words -
  • No seafood (we are in seafood capital, but that for breakfast turns the cooks head
    wink_smile.gif
    ) No gator or crawfish for breakfast y'all!
  • No asparagus, squash etc. that I think of as a lunch, dinner veggie
I have made some different foods (incl above), but only for special diets (beans and rice, or squash & onions to name a couple)

kiwi%20star.jpg
I agree about food and what people won't eat. And about the 'fear' of gourmet food. We've had the question asked a few times and I joke about it in our FAQ's. "No we won't make you eat strange food."
You'll shake your head but I have never had star fruit. I guess if Gomez sees it at the store I'll have him bring one home.
Well... we do! Fiddleheads, physalis (ground cherries), garlic scape, kholrabi, pitaya and more. We don't really go looking for it, though, it's based on what's in season and local.

kiwi%20star.jpg
Perhaps the theory of relativity comes into play. Is it relative to the five W's. In particular, where, but all five.
As you can imagine, we have a starfruit season. We can buy large just ripe fruit for 2 for a $1. It is often one of the five fruits we use for the fruit composition each morning. It is usually sliced at 1/4 inch, grouped by three, spread along the girth to create depth, and plated standing up. When it is not in season, we do not use it. We explain to our guests what is on their plate each morning. It is almost always eaten.
I wonder if a casual approach needs a starter of exotic fruit that folks are not expecting. We have an upscale breakfast, yet it all comes out on one 12 inch plate. Having stayed at a few places that do the fruit starter course, I have to be honest and say that they have almost always been underwhelming. We were once served a parfait dish with strawberries in in. That was all. What is the point of that I wondered. It felt as if they did it because they had to.
Regarding seafood- Fish,eggs, and rice (we do brown) is an island favorite and we do that occasionally with Mahi mahi or Ahi (yellowfin tuna)
So...what are the winter fruits in your area?

We have good stuff here in the Amish country, and fortunately the BIG BOX store is just 10 minutes away and they have decent prices on off-season fruit. Citrus in the winter. Strawberries from FL will be in soon. Before you know it, it's time for local strawberries (much better than the gassed ones from FL and CA and Mexico) and then berries, stone fruits in the summer and early fall; Apples and pears come later and are usually available throughout the winter.
A shame they left the kiwi. Starfruit can be sour sometimes, but they didn't even try it!

Our breakfast is not gourmet, but a lot of guests think it is. Our major metro area we draw from is known as a foodie town. Well, you would never know that from the guests we get. In the beginning years I tried to serve more gourmet items. Most of them came back not even tasted. Lesson learned there. I do tell people that have never been to a b&b not to expect from us the type of breakfast they would get at Denny's, but they don't have to be afraid because they should recognize all the foods, they're just put together differently than what they're used to.
Our winter fruits that we can get locally are very few. Apples & pears. I do a lot with those, but it gets old (to me). Summer & fall we have the most delicious berries. I have to add imported fruits especially strawberries. I use strawberries all year around. It's one of the few fruits I can get here with any color.

kiwi%20star.jpg
Star fruit is rare here. I have had a few fruits I had to look up on goo to find out how to serve - dragon fruit and guava come to mind. The first pomegranate I ever bought, I threw away the seeds looking for the fruit and then was told the seeds ARE the fruit. Growing up on a farm in West Virginia in the 50s, we did not have exotic fruits and veggies. (Did not have some ordinary ones if Mom did not like them - ie broccoli & brussels)
I think perhaps some are thought to be there for the garnish or the pretty and not to be eaten. When I serve something "new" (dragon fruit etc) I tell them I found this new to me fruit and it is good. Maybe we need to stop assuming they know what the heck it is. By saying it is new to me, it removes the making them feel like Dumbo because they do not know what it is. Many of the things Jon thinks of as ordinary are unknown to me - and I will admit it. I now know what rutabaga, kholrabi, turnips, brussles, parsnips, and more are and we even have them in the upscale grocery in the snooty city near me (their store in the poorer neighborhood does not have this stuff either but the Produce store (in that same area) does carry them. That is where I found many of what I never knew.) I admit to being unsophisticated.

kiwi%20star.jpg
Perhaps the theory of relativity comes into play. Is it relative to the five W's. In particular, where, but all five.
As you can imagine, we have a starfruit season. We can buy large just ripe fruit for 2 for a $1. It is often one of the five fruits we use for the fruit composition each morning. It is usually sliced at 1/4 inch, grouped by three, spread along the girth to create depth, and plated standing up. When it is not in season, we do not use it. We explain to our guests what is on their plate each morning. It is almost always eaten.
I wonder if a casual approach needs a starter of exotic fruit that folks are not expecting. We have an upscale breakfast, yet it all comes out on one 12 inch plate. Having stayed at a few places that do the fruit starter course, I have to be honest and say that they have almost always been underwhelming. We were once served a parfait dish with strawberries in in. That was all. What is the point of that I wondered. It felt as if they did it because they had to.
Regarding seafood- Fish,eggs, and rice (we do brown) is an island favorite and we do that occasionally with Mahi mahi or Ahi (yellowfin tuna)
So...what are the winter fruits in your area?
Most fruits are available year round but strawberries in winter taste bland. Mango is usually available but is more expensive. Berries, papaya, kiwi, grapes are found in Wally's brother's Store or in the upscale previously mentioned. The Produce store is more what is in season - but I never know what might be there. I usually stick with what I find there but have been going to Wally's brother for the last year or so. I may start looking for star fruit at the upscale - they also have a variety of melons there.
Since I started "playing" with the fruit, I tend to think about design and color of what I am going to do. It adds to the fun of making breakfast and has helped get me out of the rut. Breakfast pizza, Christmas tree, butterfly, race car, monster face for Halloween are some I have done and they were well received. I still do the cut up in a bowl to help yourself when I have a big group or short on time.

Latest posts

Back