Bugs EEWWW

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JB, I'm curious as to what they did to solve the stinkbug problem (or are they still an issue?). We have them here and they are pretty daunting looking, but I assure the guests that they do not bite, sting or carry disease. I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC. For some reason, the NYC crowd gets very worked up over a stinkbug. Show them a roach or a rat and they have no problem!! Go figure!
I would have never thought in a zillion years that I would loose a guest to a stinkbug! A bedbug, yes, but not a stinkbug. No, we have not had any issues with bedbugs...thank goodness!! I even went to the extent of putting the encasements on all the mattresses and box springs. Unfortunately, that doesn't do anything to stop the stinkers!.
Aussie Innkeeper said:
I've lost TWO nights thanks to these little buggers, both were 'princesses' from NYC.
At our river cabins we had a couple from St. Louis leave because down at the river they saw a cow (across the river) looking "funny" at them. Some people should just stay in the city.
Like this?
Mad_Cow.jpg

If I saw that cow I would leave too, to get my camera!
Can skip the spider though.
Me, too! If I saw this cow I would skedaddle!

Ironically my neighbour had an issue with this yesterday! guest found 2 spiders ( would point out we are in the uk and do not have large spiders or any poisoness insects) so dispite Phil dealing with them she said she couldn't stay! Don't know what he did about charging mind! we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray and the chamber maid is under orders to shut windows when the room is done which solved the problem. Just didn't make the best first impression to walk people into a room buzzing with flies!.
...we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray...
This reminds me of something I've long wondered. The stores carry "ant & roach killer" and "wasp & flying insect spray". Do we really need both? Or is this just the industry's way of getting us to keep two cans on hand, one of each?
I know wasp spray will kill ants and everything else, but is it stronger and more expensive? I've never bothered to check. Just always wondered.
The wasp & flying insect spray comes out in a VERY LONG stream. So, you can hide behind a wall or inside your door and spray a wasp nest 10 feet away and slam the door shut without being attacked. Regular bug spray is typically a hard mist that's expected to be sprayed approx 2-3 feet from the insect.

I don't think you can have a standard policy for a "bug situation". Your reaction is dependent on the guests' reaction.
We were freshing an upstairs room to prepare for a check-in and noticed a nice, orderly line of black ants in the bathroom. We sprayed the hole they were coming from and cleaned up the casualties. When they checked in, we told them about the ants & that we had just noticed them and offered to move them to a different room. They couldn't have cared less. We were thrilled, obviously.
There's also another B&B here in the mountains that invited us to tour when we first took ours over. I asked her about bugs. She said they get spiders alot, but she always inspects the rooms before check-in to do what she can to minimize the problem. They did have a snake in the house once which was quickly returned to the great outdoors. She never said anything about guests having major problems with the bugs. They should expect when they are staying in a cabin in the woods that there will be a few critters.

Ironically my neighbour had an issue with this yesterday! guest found 2 spiders ( would point out we are in the uk and do not have large spiders or any poisoness insects) so dispite Phil dealing with them she said she couldn't stay! Don't know what he did about charging mind! we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray and the chamber maid is under orders to shut windows when the room is done which solved the problem. Just didn't make the best first impression to walk people into a room buzzing with flies!.
...we had a bit of a problem last year with black flies getting in but zapped them with fly spray...
This reminds me of something I've long wondered. The stores carry "ant & roach killer" and "wasp & flying insect spray". Do we really need both? Or is this just the industry's way of getting us to keep two cans on hand, one of each?
I know wasp spray will kill ants and everything else, but is it stronger and more expensive? I've never bothered to check. Just always wondered.
The wasp & flying insect spray comes out in a VERY LONG stream. So, you can hide behind a wall or inside your door and spray a wasp nest 10 feet away and slam the door shut without being attacked. Regular bug spray is typically a hard mist that's expected to be sprayed approx 2-3 feet from the insect.
K9 said:
No, I'm not talking about the wasp and hornet stuff that sprays 25 feet. I'm talking about, like Raid Flying Insect Killer mist vs. Raid Ant Killer mist vs. Raid Fly & Mosquito mist. I think they will all work against all insects and the manufacturers are just trying to confuse us into buying multiple products!

K9 said:
No, I'm not talking about the wasp and hornet stuff that sprays 25 feet. I'm talking about, like Raid Flying Insect Killer mist vs. Raid Ant Killer mist vs. Raid Fly & Mosquito mist. I think they will all work against all insects and the manufacturers are just trying to confuse us into buying multiple products!
You're probably right - it's all deadly. Some guy in marketing got paid alot of money to come up with that!

Back