Quantcast

Can I possibly remove stains from upholstery?

INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources

Help Support INNspiring.com | Innkeeper Forum & Innkeeping Resources:

seashanty

Staff member
Reaction score
hello friends.
there are a few pieces of light colored upholstered furniture in the place that are, okay i'll say it, DIRTY! pulling them out from their dark and cozy corners, i see the stains in a new light (pun intended)
i've tried a couple remedies that did zilch.
on one, the stains on the foorest may be too old, and too deep set into the upholstery. but a couple chairs belong to me and i want to be able to use them in my home when i leave.

Penelope

Reaction score
What did you already try? That might help us narrow down our answers.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
We've had pretty good luck with Resolve triple-action carpet stain remover on upholstry. Comes in a red spray bottle. Spray it on, let it set then blot it out with a towel (not paper towel) Do that twice to remove any loose stuff. If the stain still remains, spray it again but use a brush to scrub it in then blot dry with another towel.

seashanty

Staff member
Reaction score
i tried resolve and woolite upholstery cleaner.

swirt

Reaction score
Lemon juice and sunlight? Any idea what the stain is?

seashanty

Staff member
Reaction score
they are random stains. mostly from dirty shoes i guess. forgot to say, they are old stains, not sure how old
i have some wineaway and i'm going to try that on the foot rest that looks like a lost cause. it is a big, squashy ottomon that matches the overstuffed chair. it would be a shame if i can't get that looking presentable.

Morticia

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
they are random stains. mostly from dirty shoes i guess. forgot to say, they are old stains, not sure how old
i have some wineaway and i'm going to try that on the foot rest that looks like a lost cause. it is a big, squashy ottomon that matches the overstuffed chair. it would be a shame if i can't get that looking presentable..
seashanty said:
i have some wineaway and i'm going to try that on the foot rest that looks like a lost cause. it is a big, squashy ottomon that matches the overstuffed chair. it would be a shame if i can't get that looking presentable.
If it's a lost cause on the cleaning, recover the ottoman in a contrasting print...plaid if the chair is floral, anything if the chair is solid. Easier to do the ottoman than the chair.

swirt

Reaction score
i have some wineaway and i'm going to try that on the foot rest that looks like a lost cause. it is a big, squashy ottomon that matches the overstuffed chair. it would be a shame if i can't get that looking presentable..
seashanty said:
If it's a lost cause on the cleaning, recover the ottoman in a contrasting print...plaid if the chair is floral, anything if the chair is solid. Easier to do the ottoman than the chair.
Or get a cat and act like you DON'T want the cat on the ottoman and it will sit there all the time thereby covering the stain

EmptyNest

Reaction score
I had Stanley Steemer clean my furniture and they did a great job with it.