Charging for the extra person

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys they called and said the daughter is not coming. I already ran the card with extra person charge. Would you take it off now or let is stand as the booking shows?.
If indeed the daughter isn't there, then remove the additional fee charge. I just had to do that a few days ago.
If you just ran the charge today, can you just void charge and start over? That way it never hits the bank.
Breakfast Diva said:
If indeed the daughter isn't there, then remove the additional fee charge. I just had to do that a few days ago.
If you just ran the charge today, can you just void charge and start over? That way it never hits the bank.
I WILL NEVER VOID A CHARGE EVER AGAIN. Yes I am yelling...don't let me get into that nightmare - the debit card. I voided it 1 minute after I ran it, I had not settled for the day or anything.
I will only ever refund the difference now, I did THAT to save the guests $10, and it put the full amount (and it was a package!) twice on HOLD in their bank account and they couldn't even pay their bills!! What a terrible mess that was.
7 to 10 days to clear a hold on funds on a debit card, fyi. I got through to the bank as the merchant and was able to finally do it, took forever, on hold, dealing with their bank.
They says debit card with symbol is same as visa or mc, it isn't! This booking was taken on webervations, it doesn't say if it is a debit card or not. Maybe that is something they need to add! But at the same time, poeple might not want that info 'out there' when they book online.
Joe Bloggs said:
Breakfast Diva said:
I WILL NEVER VOID A CHARGE EVER AGAIN. Yes I am yelling...don't let me get into that nightmare - the debit card. I voided it 1 minute after I ran it, I had not settled for the day or anything.
I will only ever refund the difference now, I did THAT to save the guests $10, and it put the full amount (and it was a package!) twice on HOLD in their bank account and they couldn't even pay their bills!! What a terrible mess that was.
7 to 10 days to clear a hold on funds on a debit card, fyi. I got through to the bank as the merchant and was able to finally do it, took forever, on hold, dealing with their bank.
They says debit card with symbol is same as visa or mc, it isn't! This booking was taken on webervations, it doesn't say if it is a debit card or not. Maybe that is something they need to add! But at the same time, poeple might not want that info 'out there' when they book online.
More than a Debit Card - just maybe not as long. One of my reg. bus. guests shared a story about her AMEX charges. (This was all related to the fact that AMEX had reduced her limit in the past few months - like many CC co.s did) On checking out of a hotel, she told the clerk that she was also going to cover her partner's charges. So the clerk made a statment that she was just going to void the amount already processed and then process the 2 rooms together... my guest knew how she stood in her acct and begged the clerk to process them seperately. Well, since she would not listen, the 2nd transaction would not go through - duh! My guest was still put out over this because it could have been avoided.
On the 7-10 days to clear on debit cards....I would think that would not be normal (but maybe the industry standard in notifications). I follow my account very closely and can see my debit transactions as soon as I come home from shopping. Transactions will ususally post (or drop) within 3-4 days after posting. This was a topic with my banker just this last week when our debit card had been compromised.

7 to 10 days is what Bank of America (her cc bank) told me over the phone. I didn't make the figure up. Fortunately they do see them when they ocurr nowawadays as you can have them shoot to you an email alert - which is a great thing I think.

7 to 10 days is what Bank of America (her cc bank) told me over the phone. I didn't make the figure up. Fortunately they do see them when they ocurr nowawadays as you can have them shoot to you an email alert - which is a great thing I think..
Joe Bloggs said:
I didn't make the figure up.
Nor did I say you did - re read my post!

I charge an extra $20 for a third person in the suite. Extra bedding, etc. On occasion, I have the second person use that bed. Oh well. I give 10% discount to military, past or present.
C

All our rooms can only accommodate a max of 2 persons. If they say they are coming with a third I mention that "we have a two bedroom suite and this is the price XXXX" which is still a bargain considering that Mom and Dad are in one room and kids are in another.

It never fails, if I don't charge, I am left with the biggest messes. If I charge, the rooms look wonderful.
People will de-value your product if you give it away.

It never fails, if I don't charge, I am left with the biggest messes. If I charge, the rooms look wonderful.
People will de-value your product if you give it away..
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
I agree. Something that is "free" has no value.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Boy do I wish that only the bargain hunters were that way. At least we could be prepared.
We have a family of four right now and thankfully they not only paid full freight for the entire three night stay, but are leaving too early for breakfast tomorrow morning.
Everyday's fluff has taken at least an hour per day. They are like a walking mess machine. Polite and appreciative as hell, but man did they make us earn our keep. Very hard on everything from the hot tub to the table cloths to the towels and pillow cases. Must be four very fitful sleepers for theway the pillow cases were mashhed to a pulp each morning when I went to in to fluff.
We'll have guests here for a week and never have to change out the upper tablecloth, these folks soiled it EVERY day.
I guess sloppy is as sloppy does regardless of what they are paying.
The much better half baked the son a birthday cake and we fully expected to find the table cloth trashed again tonight and dirty dishes everywhere. The dining room is spotless and every dish they used is washed and stacked where it should be. Turning over a new leaf on their last night, how quaint..... LOL

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
AMEN TO NOT GIVING IT AWAY
What I find interesting about this is that if we alter the core, it is cheapened. If we add value to the core at no cost, it is enhanced. This has just about become a cardinal rule for us.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
AMEN TO NOT GIVING IT AWAY
What I find interesting about this is that if we alter the core, it is cheapened. If we add value to the core at no cost, it is enhanced. This has just about become a cardinal rule for us.
Giving for free also takes away the pleasure of "working for it". My aunt not only bought gifts at Marshall Field but had Field's send it - it said I can AFFORD to buy at Field's and have them ship it. I had pride in things I earned. Which is why you should not think bargains for guests, they want to feel they had quality and in the gift shop - things of value.

We charge $49 for the extra person..
Rate envy
teeth_smile.gif

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Boy do I wish that only the bargain hunters were that way. At least we could be prepared.
We have a family of four right now and thankfully they not only paid full freight for the entire three night stay, but are leaving too early for breakfast tomorrow morning.
Everyday's fluff has taken at least an hour per day. They are like a walking mess machine. Polite and appreciative as hell, but man did they make us earn our keep. Very hard on everything from the hot tub to the table cloths to the towels and pillow cases. Must be four very fitful sleepers for theway the pillow cases were mashhed to a pulp each morning when I went to in to fluff.
We'll have guests here for a week and never have to change out the upper tablecloth, these folks soiled it EVERY day.
The much better half baked the son a birthday cake and we fully expected to find the table cloth trashed again tonight and dirty dishes everywhere. The dining room is spotless and every dish they used is washed and stacked where it should be. Turning over a new leaf on their last night, how quaint..... LOL
Update on our thankfully gone family.
Went to open the hot tub this morning after they spent 1.5 hours in it last night and found they hadn't changed their ways in the slightest.
One of them had broken a necklace consisting of tiny carved stones IN the tub and there are hundreds of them in the bottom of the tub along with dozens of hairs, red wine spills everywhere and enough sand in the bottom to suggest they acutally went out of their way to NOT use the bristley rug at the entrance of the tub to wipe their four sets of feet before entering the tub.
These actions seem very deliberate considering they had to be politely asked to lower their volume in the tub the night before at 10:45pm so the other guests could enjoy the quiet time.
Is having the expectation of quiet after 10:30pm unreasonable?
Not monastery quiet, just quiet enough in order to not disturb others.
Full price or not, add one to the DNBA list despite their glowing accolades in the guest book and verbal gratitude.
The 20 or so car door slams loading the car at 6am didn't help their status either.
So maybe half the time last night in the tub and more time packing and loading the car for such an early departure would have been more prudent.
Their loss.

Joe Bloggs said:
Innkeepers, we need to stick to our guns, we need to hold to our policies. The more we let people walk over us the worse it gets...after all we only do this for FUN.
Hallelujah!

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Went to open the hot tub this morning after they spent 1.5 hours in it last night and found they hadn't changed their ways in the slightest.
One of them had broken a necklace consisting of tiny carved stones IN the tub and there are hundreds of them in the bottom of the tub along with dozens of hairs, red wine spills everywhere and enough sand in the bottom to suggest they acutally went out of their way to NOT use the bristley rug at the entrance of the tub to wipe their four sets of feet before entering the tub.
These actions seem very deliberate considering they had to be politely asked to lower their volume in the tub the night before at 10:45pm so the other guests could enjoy the quiet time.
Full price or not, add one to the DNBA list despite their glowing accolades in the guest book and verbal gratitude.
The 20 or so car door slams loading the car at 6am didn't help their status either.
So maybe half the time last night in the tub and more time packing and loading the car for such an early departure would have been more prudent.
Their loss.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Their loss.
Loverly. They need to go on your "pig list".
I had an incident this morning that I cannot wrap my brain around - yet. These 5 men in their mid 60's rented 4 cottages for one night. Very nice down state execs, playing golf at Arcadia Bluffs and going on a fishing charter.
I had a bar set up for them in the backyard with crystal and top shelf stuff. Mind you, we have cottages, so this is a tiny bit unusual. They had a great time, paid for everything, loved the place, blah, blah, blah. I go in this morning and one of the cottages is positively destroyed. There is a bathroom floor with an inch of water on it. What seams like a pot of coffee with cream thrown against ALL the walls in the bathroom. Coffee running down the toilet, walls, etc.I had to wash the entire room walls, ceiling EVERYTHING. I have no clue why he did that. If there was a problem with anything, I don't know it. Was he upset or just drunk?
I should have knocked on wood after posting here yesterday, huh?

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Their loss.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Their loss.
I had an incident this morning that I cannot wrap my brain around - yet. These 5 men in their mid 60's rented 4 cottages for one night. Very nice down state execs, playing golf at Arcadia Bluffs and going on a fishing charter.
I had a bar set up for them in the backyard with crystal and top shelf stuff. Mind you, we have cottages, so this is a tiny bit unusual. They had a great time, paid for everything, loved the place, blah, blah, blah. I go in this morning and one of the cottages is positively destroyed. There is a bathroom floor with an inch of water on it. What seams like a pot of coffee with cream thrown against ALL the walls in the bathroom. Coffee running down the toilet, walls, etc.I had to wash the entire room walls, ceiling EVERYTHING. I have no clue why he did that. If there was a problem with anything, I don't know it. Was he upset or just drunk?
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Their loss.
I thought we had it bad. What he did is unacceptable. If each party paid seperately, I'd add a charge to his. That isn't accidental stuff. I hope you took photos of the damage.
The lack of respect some pinheads have is appalling.
Just when we thought we had seen it all from these folks, I go into one of the other guest room's bathroom today and one of them went in there late last night and not only used the toilet but also took a shower. The toilet was filthy, hairs all over in the shower and those little stone beads from the broken necklace found in the hot tub were on the floor.
Some of these folks take us for idiots, like we wouldn't notice this stuff or that we don't care.
The big loser in it is that if they were sincere in all of their praise, its all down the drain now and they will never be welcomed back here.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Their loss.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Their loss.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
did you take pictures of the cottage before doing a thing?
that's what i did. then i charged their card, sent an email with pictures attached of the mess ... it was two brothers. loved the place, loved me, loved the area ... blah blah ... but got sick in the nite all over the bathroom (literally) and slipped out early before i was up. i ranted on the forum about it. a chambermaid quit over it.

IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Their loss.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Their loss.
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
that's what i did. then i charged their card, sent an email with pictures attached of the mess ... it was two brothers. loved the place, loved me, loved the area ... blah blah ... but got sick in the nite all over the bathroom (literally) and slipped out early before i was up. i ranted on the forum about it. a chambermaid quit over it.
seashanty said:
IrisoftheWayfarer said:
Holy smokes, throwing up has not happend here. Knocking on wood!
You know, I am stupid that way. I cried, got my bucket, put on my cleaning lady hat and got to work on getting that room back together for tonight's guests. I was thinking of sending them an email asking what the heck they were thinking, but I am so upset I think I might not be very polite. Cooling off, maybe I'll write something tomorrow just to get it off my chest. Still no pictures though.

Back