Check in time

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have solved the early arrival problem. A few months ago I decided I had enough of the early arrivals. Every other guests was arriving early and I had to stop cleaning or doing what I needed to do before normal check in time. When we switched to reskey I decided to make early check in a bookable package. So I allow early check in from 1-4. Regular check in is from 4-5:30. When making a reservation they click on the package and reserve their time. Problem solved! It has worked out great! We started at $20 fee for this. I had so many people like this I upped it to $35. I no longer have people arriving early unless they are willing to pay for it! Our time is worth $. They are also told of they have booked the early check in pkg and they arrive during normal check in times, they are still charged the fee. We made almost $1200 last month just on early check ins! If you place a charge in front of a customer they tend to listen a little more! You should try it!

I have solved the early arrival problem. A few months ago I decided I had enough of the early arrivals. Every other guests was arriving early and I had to stop cleaning or doing what I needed to do before normal check in time. When we switched to reskey I decided to make early check in a bookable package. So I allow early check in from 1-4. Regular check in is from 4-5:30. When making a reservation they click on the package and reserve their time. Problem solved! It has worked out great! We started at $20 fee for this. I had so many people like this I upped it to $35. I no longer have people arriving early unless they are willing to pay for it! Our time is worth $. They are also told of they have booked the early check in pkg and they arrive during normal check in times, they are still charged the fee. We made almost $1200 last month just on early check ins! If you place a charge in front of a customer they tend to listen a little more! You should try it!.
Bob- What a brilliant idea. That extra cash can almost pay for extra help if needed to get the rooms done early. And if not extra help it will pay for some spa time to help overcome the tired body parts from working so fast to get things done.
You are right your extra efforts and time spent changing your routine is worth something. If people want it bad enough they will pay for it. Otherwise they will find something to occupy their time.
I will implement this from the get go!

I have solved the early arrival problem. A few months ago I decided I had enough of the early arrivals. Every other guests was arriving early and I had to stop cleaning or doing what I needed to do before normal check in time. When we switched to reskey I decided to make early check in a bookable package. So I allow early check in from 1-4. Regular check in is from 4-5:30. When making a reservation they click on the package and reserve their time. Problem solved! It has worked out great! We started at $20 fee for this. I had so many people like this I upped it to $35. I no longer have people arriving early unless they are willing to pay for it! Our time is worth $. They are also told of they have booked the early check in pkg and they arrive during normal check in times, they are still charged the fee. We made almost $1200 last month just on early check ins! If you place a charge in front of a customer they tend to listen a little more! You should try it!.
Bob said:
I have solved the early arrival problem. A few months ago I decided I had enough of the early arrivals. Every other guests was arriving early and I had to stop cleaning or doing what I needed to do before normal check in time. When we switched to reskey I decided to make early check in a bookable package. So I allow early check in from 1-4. Regular check in is from 4-5:30. When making a reservation they click on the package and reserve their time. Problem solved! It has worked out great! We started at $20 fee for this. I had so many people like this I upped it to $35. I no longer have people arriving early unless they are willing to pay for it! Our time is worth $. They are also told of they have booked the early check in pkg and they arrive during normal check in times, they are still charged the fee. We made almost $1200 last month just on early check ins! If you place a charge in front of a customer they tend to listen a little more! You should try it!
But I can't. Unless the rooms are done and noone is here, see this is the difference, to a one-man-show-innkeeper who has assistance from a kid now and again. There is no way I could have breakfast broo haha and check out at 11am and have ANY ROOM READY BY 1pm.
Could this possibly be something I could offer only a weekend when the family is home to help, perhaps that is the only time. And in reality those who need to get here early to go to a wedding or event are more likely to be on a weekend, and more likely to take us up on it. So maybe I can...
regular_smile.gif

I will consider your words oh-so-wise-Bob...

Bob- What a brilliant idea. That extra cash can almost pay for extra help if needed to get the rooms done early. And if not extra help it will pay for some spa time to help overcome the tired body parts from working so fast to get things done.
You are right your extra efforts and time spent changing your routine is worth something. If people want it bad enough they will pay for it. Otherwise they will find something to occupy their time.
Try it out and see if it works. There are areas where it is essential to be able to check-in early and others where most of the guests arrive around 7. I know I wouldn't make a dime doing this. And, if, by chance I could make money, I would not have the time to do it anyway. I need that break between 1-3 to relax.
What you need to keep in mind is allowing the early check-in, even for a fee, means you are tied down to the property for those early check-ins. If you promise it, you have to deliver it. Now, if you have staff to take over those responsibilities you're good to go.
I do know a lot (really, a LOT) of innkeepers who have decided early on that they are wedded to this business 24x7x365. If you can do that, go for it. If you can't then don't start allowing something you can't keep up with forever.

Wow, that's a great idea Bob! DH and I will discuss this and see if it's something we might do. We may not get a lot of people taking advantage of it, but it will definitely show people when they are making their bookings that they can't just show up early.
Thanks for the idea!

Try it out and see if it works. There are areas where it is essential to be able to check-in early and others where most of the guests arrive around 7. I know I wouldn't make a dime doing this. And, if, by chance I could make money, I would not have the time to do it anyway. I need that break between 1-3 to relax.
What you need to keep in mind is allowing the early check-in, even for a fee, means you are tied down to the property for those early check-ins. If you promise it, you have to deliver it. Now, if you have staff to take over those responsibilities you're good to go.
I do know a lot (really, a LOT) of innkeepers who have decided early on that they are wedded to this business 24x7x365. If you can do that, go for it. If you can't then don't start allowing something you can't keep up with forever.
Right you think "If the room is ready and I am here..." but then you think that NAP that BATH or NICE LONG SHOWER...things when we are in the thick of it that are more valuable than gold.
But on the other hand would it deter those early birds who try to check in early? Yes I believe it would. I believe majority (other than for a wedding, as mentioned and need to change etc) would not be willing to pay it, here.
and I have to ask this required question: Do you add it to the room rate and is it subject to all taxes? Or how do you handle that.

2 things going on here! If you are a innkeeper that Has the extra help or can ready a room from 11am - 1pm there is a way to make extra money. If you have an early check in you jus make sure and clean that first. It has to be cleaned anyway. You just prioritize your cleaning for that day. Same amount of work, just making extra money. What if you only have 1 turn over that day? They do an early check in and your finished at 1 for your check ins because they show up when they say they are when $ id involved. ( %90 of the time) you have the whole rest of the day to do what you want. Plus you made extra money doing it. If you are tired of people arriving early and you do not want them to, charge $? where they won't arrive early. If they choose to pay $? Then it would be worth it. This system can work for what ever your needs might be. I know if you say early check in is $80 you won't have very many people arriving before normal check in time. Then you can take a long shower or nap. Or a nap in the shower! You can control what people do with the prices you charge for extra services.

Right you think "If the room is ready and I am here..." but then you think that NAP that BATH or NICE LONG SHOWER...things when we are in the thick of it that are more valuable than gold.
But on the other hand would it deter those early birds who try to check in early? Yes I believe it would. I believe majority (other than for a wedding, as mentioned and need to change etc) would not be willing to pay it, here.
and I have to ask this required question: Do you add it to the room rate and is it subject to all taxes? Or how do you handle that.
JB this would work perfect for you! I do add the rate as a pkg. It does get charged taxes. You can price it to make money or make the guests think twice before arriving before check in time! If you want, call me and I can tell you more. You have my number!

Joey Bloggs said:
It might be worth a try IF they state in advance they want to arrive early. Otherwise they know what time check in is as they either had to select a time or we asked them and told them when we would be ready. If they just show up at the door what then? I know someone else mentioned this last year that they have a 'policy statement' that goes something like, 'No problem. We do this all the time for guests and they really appreciate being able to settle into the room earlier. Our charge for that is $50. I'll just go add it to your bill right now.'
And, there are times when you really do want to do something else besides sit around from 1-3 waiting for someone who doesn't show up. So what that you have $35? You also didn't get to do something you wanted.
As someone who just spent a half hour in the middle of cleaning dealing with guests who are checked in but who skipped brekkie and decided to help themselves to cereal and coffee and dirty the dining room again, I really don't want guests here early! And, the guests yesterday who waited around until 12:30 to vacate their rooms because they had to wait for a teenager. They were all over the house. I couldn't go anywhere without running into them.
I guess this more says something about me than anything else. In my head I have that time span blocked off to finish the laundry so I'm not still folding sheets and towels when the guests DO arrive at 3. I have had my lunch. I have had a sit down. I've done my puzzle page for the day. I've made the cookies. Gotten the breakfast starter baked, etc. Otherwise these things spread into the evening. I hate making breakfast bread at 9 PM. Or trying to iron at 10 PM.

Bob, what a great idea!! Hmmm, I wonder if I could mimick the airlines and start charging per bag? Whaddya think?
tounge_smile.gif

JB this would work perfect for you! I do add the rate as a pkg. It does get charged taxes. You can price it to make money or make the guests think twice before arriving before check in time! If you want, call me and I can tell you more. You have my number!
For me this will be great, I will be tied to the place most of the day anyway with the farm part of the business (should nothing blow up between now and then - fingers crossed!!!) But to pull away from a farm activity to check someone in early it would have to make sense as in dollars and cents.
Because I will be in this totally on my own, no DH in the future I will have a chambermaid to do the cleaning. That will make it easier for the interuptions, however with cottages and not rooms the cleaning time will be longer. However if I can throw her a few extra bucks, charge enough to make it worth the aggravation, I am all over it. If they don't want to pay then it wasn't that important to them in the first place.
I agree with Bob, you can either charge enough to make a few extra bucks, or charge enough to deter all but the most serious needs for early check in. Sounds like a win win to me. And I think you are right Bob, people will tend to be there on time, as in early when there are dollars associated with the early arrival.
At times you may have an early arrival at 1 or 2 and the rest checking in at 3 or 4 but that extra cash may compensate for missing that sale on strawberries or having to pay a little extra for eggs because your coupon expired. To me it sends a message to the guest, we are more flexible and friendly and personal than a hotel, but it is a business and we are not their personal servants waiting around for their grand entrance.
If you don't want the early arrivals then price it so it eliminates or severely reduces them to a tollerable level.

Had one of these passive aggressive idiots on today am absolutely furious! rang this evening to ask if he could check in tomorro at 11 as thats when he'd booked his train tickets for - yes thats fine but your room may not be ready - oh no 11 at night - he has stayed at least twice before and knows full well we have to wait up for him! and its a fricking cheek to book the tickets first then ask isn't it? id be ringing first as he would be in a right mess if Id said no we cant! am soo angry. Trouble is this group organise a highly lucrative conference twice a year in our town and the organising committee stays with us. It makes me a lot of money (full house 3 nights twice a year) but I also have the weight on my shoulders of the whole town if I really hack them off. means i have to bite my tounge at these loony requests.
Last time they came in march it was on arrival actually out of all of us only 2 will be having breakfast each day so we had bought in a ton of food for nothing
Time before chap was booked in to come on the sunday night 11pm not arrived, me ringing him, all group ringing him didn't turn up till next day! the other group members messages were "kim is sat up here waiting for you please ring and let us know so she can go to bed" SO it wasn't like he didn't know

Had one of these passive aggressive idiots on today am absolutely furious! rang this evening to ask if he could check in tomorro at 11 as thats when he'd booked his train tickets for - yes thats fine but your room may not be ready - oh no 11 at night - he has stayed at least twice before and knows full well we have to wait up for him! and its a fricking cheek to book the tickets first then ask isn't it? id be ringing first as he would be in a right mess if Id said no we cant! am soo angry. Trouble is this group organise a highly lucrative conference twice a year in our town and the organising committee stays with us. It makes me a lot of money (full house 3 nights twice a year) but I also have the weight on my shoulders of the whole town if I really hack them off. means i have to bite my tounge at these loony requests.
Last time they came in march it was on arrival actually out of all of us only 2 will be having breakfast each day so we had bought in a ton of food for nothing
Time before chap was booked in to come on the sunday night 11pm not arrived, me ringing him, all group ringing him didn't turn up till next day! the other group members messages were "kim is sat up here waiting for you please ring and let us know so she can go to bed" SO it wasn't like he didn't know.
For guests you know, like this one, is there a way to set up a locked box somewhere with a code that you send to them so they open the box and take out their keys and let themselves in? Not for everyone, especially when you don't know them in a city as you are, but for these loonies you already know?

Bob, what a great idea!! Hmmm, I wonder if I could mimick the airlines and start charging per bag? Whaddya think?
tounge_smile.gif

Let me know how that works for you!?!?!

Very good idea Bob. Last year I had a rash of early arrivals never thought of having it as a package. If some one ASKed for an early check in, I had a set price of $50. But my biggest problem are the ones that do not ask, just show up. Maybe having this as an optional package, it may be the trick. I want my time, I need my time, but as you stated in a later post it could allow freedom for the rest of the day. I have thought of that before and kicked myself for not just saying OK to those that show early, as then they do not come back until o'dark thirty as payback!

Time before chap was booked in to come on the sunday night 11pm not arrived, me ringing him, all group ringing him didn't turn up till next day! the other group members messages were "kim is sat up here waiting for you please ring and let us know so she can go to bed" SO it wasn't like he didn't know.
For guests you know, like this one, is there a way to set up a locked box somewhere with a code that you send to them so they open the box and take out their keys and let themselves in? Not for everyone, especially when you don't know them in a city as you are, but for these loonies you already know?
If it was just him left I wouldl do it (we have a lock box) however they are a group of about 18 and I guarantee there will be more than just him on that particular train. If it does turn out to be just him then I'm lock boxing it but like I said these are people who require careful handling so as not to loose our town about 5 million in revenue.

Let me share my thoughts.
Early check in from 1-3pm I feel people would say that is close to the normal check in time, and think we are being greedy. I know many of you do have a 3pm check in. Ours begins at 4pm.
Any comments re this?
Last night a room got here at 11pm. No calls, no requesting late checkin or anything...I have not seen them yet, they signed up for 915am breakfast, we will see if they show!
Yeah location location for the late check in lock box or note or code - I don't like emailing a code to anyone... what works for one would never be acceptable at another inn. I feel like we are so secure here as the old po's never even LOCKED THE FRONT DOOR, there was NO KEY! Figure that one. Uh stupid perhaps...

My confirmation says "if you would like to check in early please let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate you. If you arrive early without prior notification we may be out". That means when we get home from the shops and people are sitting in their car waiting for us there's no excuse.
Our new guest management system sends a re-confirmation 7 days prior to arrival for people who book more than 60 days in advance, the re-confirmation contains the same check-in text and this does seem to be making a difference.
One German gentleman got really stroppy becuase they'd been at the house for an hour waiting. I printed off a copy of his confirmation email, drew a big red circle around the appropriate paragraph and left it in his room, never mentioned it again..
Highlands John said:
Our new guest management system sends a re-confirmation 7 days prior to arrival for people who book more than 60 days in advance, the re-confirmation contains the same check-in text and this does seem to be making a difference.
Looks like I spoke too soon on this point. Guests arrived at 9.40 this morning all smiles and ready to check in!!!! Told them that the people who had their room last night hadn't even checked out yet and they should come back after 2pm. It just beggars belief, what goes through these peoples heads (if anything).
That is a record for us, previous record was 10:10.

My confirmation says "if you would like to check in early please let us know in advance and we will do our best to accommodate you. If you arrive early without prior notification we may be out". That means when we get home from the shops and people are sitting in their car waiting for us there's no excuse.
One German gentleman got really stroppy becuase they'd been at the house for an hour waiting. I printed off a copy of his confirmation email, drew a big red circle around the appropriate paragraph and left it in his room, never mentioned it again..
Highlands John said:
Looks like I spoke too soon on this point. Guests arrived at 9.40 this morning all smiles and ready to check in!!!! Told them that the people who had their room last night hadn't even checked out yet and they should come back after 2pm. It just beggars belief, what goes through these peoples heads (if anything).
Oh, that's easy to beat. 7AM in the morning and expecting to see the room immediately.

Highlands John said:
Oh, that's easy to beat. 7AM in the morning and expecting to see the room immediately.
Eric Arthur Blair said:
Good grief, did you tell them they could see the room as long as they didn't wake the previous occupants.

Back