Child Free Inns

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have been reading this forum today for the first time, and I'm amazed at how crappy some of your guests can be! We always stay in B&B when we travel, and the behaviors that I'm reading here are things that I'd be MORTIFIED to do, whether in a hotel, motel or B&B. More power to all of you!
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :).
ChildFreeLife said:
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :)
Another variation to try would be " B&B adults only"
swirt said:
That displayed xxx fun and frolic inns.
teeth_smile.gif

Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
Perhaps THAT is why they are looking for :child free"? or are they lawyers trolling for answers that will hang a defendent? Remember the discrimination ADA suits that worked the way up the East Coast? Sorry but for a first post to be a "chestnut" makes me wary.
reminds me of that Gay discrimination call I had a while back. Im sure they were trawling for places that said they would object to two men sharing a double.

I have been reading this forum today for the first time, and I'm amazed at how crappy some of your guests can be! We always stay in B&B when we travel, and the behaviors that I'm reading here are things that I'd be MORTIFIED to do, whether in a hotel, motel or B&B. More power to all of you!
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :).
ChildFreeLife said:
So, thank you for the advice on child free B&B. I will try googling child free B&B and I'll scrutinize B&B policies. :)
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif

Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
Perhaps THAT is why they are looking for :child free"? or are they lawyers trolling for answers that will hang a defendent? Remember the discrimination ADA suits that worked the way up the East Coast? Sorry but for a first post to be a "chestnut" makes me wary.
gillumhouse said:
Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
K- that was my first thought, too. I hate to be that skeptical, but it just seems too suspicious to me. I hope I'm wrong...

ChildFreeLife said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif

Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
gillumhouse said:
Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
K- that was my first thought, too. I hate to be that skeptical, but it just seems too suspicious to me. I hope I'm wrong...
Penelope said:
gillumhouse said:
Viper said:
swirt said:
teeth_smile.gif
Actually P, you need to be skeptical. Please be skeptical. I always want to shout on this forum, that just because someone appears out of the blue with this made up user id doesn't make them legit, please don't feel you need to answer every persons questions here, remember this is the www and people google and find this forum very easily. There are rotten people out there, there is media, there are those just looking to stir things up. This is not a directory, so to come here and ask this, is a loaded question. 100% loaded. Your red flags of skepticism are correct to go up.
This topic is IN THE NEWS right now, this is why I mentioned this, as a warning. As for the same sex discrimination subject, you will note I never added that to the INN THE NEWS at all here, it was too much of a touchy subject - not just for our own comments, but for those searching the topic online, looking to gain from it.
Err on the side of caution. You are not wrong P.

Honey this weekend just past my friend who is also B&B had a woman who projectile vomited up the wall across the curtains and on the carpet in a stripe. and told Marie "sorry I was ill in the night made a little bit of mess" if she had vomited straight on the duvet at least you could have just chuched the whole lot out! in the end she had to scrubb the carpet with beach chuck out the curtains and paint the wall. My friend bev this week has had cutlery stolen off her breakfast tables and the list goes on. There is a blog "some guests suck" and people comment "oh if you hate guests so much why don't you get out" we don't hate guests most we like but its people like this that spoil it for everyone..
I can't even legally force anyone to clean that. If they refuse, I have to call in a hazmat team. I'm sure that guest wouldn't like to see the bill for that!
she billed them for everything including her time I said you did exactly right can't an adult person make it to a bin even? I had a horrible thing about 2 years ago where I threw up every 10 mins on the dot for 3 days and I never didn't make it!
I was crouched over a pail once in my life, after I burnt my foot with a pot of boiling water. The pain made me extremely nauseous. I was prescribed Gravol and I had to take it the whole week, and it made me so sleepy that I hardly remember the entire week.
We had some kid, 18, who had never drank before and drank wine to excess. Had to wash everything twice and I had to slip the housekeeper some cash to clean it all.

Honey this weekend just past my friend who is also B&B had a woman who projectile vomited up the wall across the curtains and on the carpet in a stripe. and told Marie "sorry I was ill in the night made a little bit of mess" if she had vomited straight on the duvet at least you could have just chuched the whole lot out! in the end she had to scrubb the carpet with beach chuck out the curtains and paint the wall. My friend bev this week has had cutlery stolen off her breakfast tables and the list goes on. There is a blog "some guests suck" and people comment "oh if you hate guests so much why don't you get out" we don't hate guests most we like but its people like this that spoil it for everyone..
I can't even legally force anyone to clean that. If they refuse, I have to call in a hazmat team. I'm sure that guest wouldn't like to see the bill for that!
she billed them for everything including her time I said you did exactly right can't an adult person make it to a bin even? I had a horrible thing about 2 years ago where I threw up every 10 mins on the dot for 3 days and I never didn't make it!
I was crouched over a pail once in my life, after I burnt my foot with a pot of boiling water. The pain made me extremely nauseous. I was prescribed Gravol and I had to take it the whole week, and it made me so sleepy that I hardly remember the entire week.
We had some kid, 18, who had never drank before and drank wine to excess. Had to wash everything twice and I had to slip the housekeeper some cash to clean it all.
If there is anything super disgusting I either clean it myself or the housekeeper gets a bonus as its outside the call of duty. I also make sure she is wearing thick rubber gloves and we chuck all the cloths away afterwards its not worth the risk. Luckily we have had only one person be sick on the carpet in 18 months and I got a free new bedroom carpet out of it so that was a bonus in a way!

We are child free. Always have been. Always will be. It's a totally different vibe for adults trying to relax.

Most B&B's state the child policy on their websites. Even though I accept children "over 10 and with Innkeeper approval" I rarely have children. I am fortunate that the children I have allowed (and on occassion under 10 with an insurance waiver) have been well behaved. I think most people staying at B&B's with children realize they are in someone else's home and that there may be other guests at close quarters so I would have to say that unless you choose a B&B in the middle of school vacation in a resort area the chances of being around children at B&B's is rare

Most B&B's state the child policy on their websites. Even though I accept children "over 10 and with Innkeeper approval" I rarely have children. I am fortunate that the children I have allowed (and on occassion under 10 with an insurance waiver) have been well behaved. I think most people staying at B&B's with children realize they are in someone else's home and that there may be other guests at close quarters so I would have to say that unless you choose a B&B in the middle of school vacation in a resort area the chances of being around children at B&B's is rare.
we take children but we do so (souunds odd) on purpose as we are the only B&B/guest house/small hotel that does. we provide high chair. baby bath. baby monitor, small cuttlery and bowls and have two travel cots. as we are the only place out of about 100 that will take them we do well out of it. Its horses for course. plus the babies make less mess than the adults half the time and all the children we have had have been very polite and well behaved.

LOL. We accept both dogs and children. Our website states, "Dogs with well-behaved owners".... and we figure that filters out a lot of folks--including many who don't have pets.
Dogs are better-behaved than children, and families seem to have figured out more appropriate ways to discipline their canines than their offspring.
That being said, just as we lay down rules for dogs, we do the same for children. "No, you can't let your toddler into the hot kitchen and play in the boiling grease." "No, it doesn't work for us to leave your child in your room all day while you go ski. Yes, I understand that he's very self-directed, but we're just not comfortable with him doing electricity experiments with the plugs."
Honest to Pete, the issue isn't the children, it's the parents.
Tom

LOL. We accept both dogs and children. Our website states, "Dogs with well-behaved owners".... and we figure that filters out a lot of folks--including many who don't have pets.
Dogs are better-behaved than children, and families seem to have figured out more appropriate ways to discipline their canines than their offspring.
That being said, just as we lay down rules for dogs, we do the same for children. "No, you can't let your toddler into the hot kitchen and play in the boiling grease." "No, it doesn't work for us to leave your child in your room all day while you go ski. Yes, I understand that he's very self-directed, but we're just not comfortable with him doing electricity experiments with the plugs."
Tom.
HighMountainLodge said:
Exactly.

If a b&b accepts pets and children, we won't stay there. We like animals and children, but both bring with them a different level of noise and activity like running and jumping that we just don't think adds to our vacation/relaxation.

and besides kids are environmentally unfriendly.
wink_smile.gif

Can You Compost Dirty Diapers? : TreeHugger http://t.co/5rdL14Lvia @TreeHugger
[COLOR= rgb(68, 68, 68)]A two-year-old is kind of like having a blender, but you don't have a top for it. ~Jerry Seinfeld [/COLOR]

If a b&b accepts pets and children, we won't stay there. We like animals and children, but both bring with them a different level of noise and activity like running and jumping that we just don't think adds to our vacation/relaxation..
My new no no for where I stay is innkeeper pets on the loose. After dodging a 'yappy dog' that spent most of its time trying to bounce off me to look out the living room window and its bigger companion barking everytime someone rang the bell (at midnight) and at us everytime we entered the building, I won't stay if the innkeepers allow the pets in the common spaces.
I'd prefer no guest children. And if the innkeepers can't clean the place properly, no guest pets, either.

If a b&b accepts pets and children, we won't stay there. We like animals and children, but both bring with them a different level of noise and activity like running and jumping that we just don't think adds to our vacation/relaxation..
My new no no for where I stay is innkeeper pets on the loose. After dodging a 'yappy dog' that spent most of its time trying to bounce off me to look out the living room window and its bigger companion barking everytime someone rang the bell (at midnight) and at us everytime we entered the building, I won't stay if the innkeepers allow the pets in the common spaces.
I'd prefer no guest children. And if the innkeepers can't clean the place properly, no guest pets, either.
I would rather keep our girl under wraps but she is constantly requested, esp at breakfast. I'm out numbered, guests win. She is all but silent though and never jumpy, except for the soulful eyes trying to Jedi-mind-trick you into dropping a piece of sausage on the floor you wouldn't even know she was there.
I was very proud of her last week, we had a teenager with autism here and the Mom had told us at check-in that he probably wouldn't like the dog because he had been bitten by a German Shepherd. So we kept her out of the common areas, but he saw her in the yard and said she was pretty. So his Mom asked if he wanted to meet the dog and he said yes. Our girl was so sweet, she is very timid by nature so she approached him slowly and he approached her slowly and by the end of the two day visit they were best buds. Good doggie ambassador.

Tom.
Talked to a lady this weekend who said she knew people who's attitude was, "I did my duty and had kids. I'm done." And the kids were basically left to their own devices....

Tom.
Talked to a lady this weekend who said she knew people who's attitude was, "I did my duty and had kids. I'm done." And the kids were basically left to their own devices....
gillumhouse said:
Foster homes are full due to this, as are the prisons, it is no secret.

I would rather keep our girl under wraps but she is constantly requested, esp at breakfast. I'm out numbered, guests win. She is all but silent though and never jumpy, except for the soulful eyes trying to Jedi-mind-trick you into dropping a piece of sausage on the floor you wouldn't even know she was there.
I was very proud of her last week, we had a teenager with autism here and the Mom had told us at check-in that he probably wouldn't like the dog because he had been bitten by a German Shepherd. So we kept her out of the common areas, but he saw her in the yard and said she was pretty. So his Mom asked if he wanted to meet the dog and he said yes. Our girl was so sweet, she is very timid by nature so she approached him slowly and he approached her slowly and by the end of the two day visit they were best buds. Good doggie ambassador.
I have to be 'stern innkeeper' during brekkie, which is when most guests ask to see the dog. 'Not while there is food out!' Most of them get it. Plus, she's really, REALLY old and rickety and too many people hanging on her isn't good.
The couple of times we have had a t-storm during brekkie and I tuck her in a corner, under a chair so she's not climbing the walls, I've gotten the hairy eyeball from some guests.

Aaaahhh - never mind. post deleted.

Most of us have such variations in demographic it is difficult to say who will be here at any given time, and will kids running down a hallway (I am not there to make sure they don't run am I?) would ruin a romantic getaway for a 30th milestone anniversary? This couple may have chosen in lieu of a family anniversary party to escape to your inn, only to find brats in their midst. Parents at breakfast "Johnny sit up, Johnny stop swinging your legs, Johnny stop picking your nose..."
Will the kids who the parents are trying to enlighten with travel and culture sit out on your porch with an old couple drinking a G&T? Or a young gay couple holding hands? I mean, IS THIS THE PLACE FOR KIDS?
So whatever you do, clearly state it on your website, so OTHER people can see it is "child friendly" with a trampoline in the back yard and swimming pool, or child accepting, they may stay there, but it is not set up for kids. Or whatever.
Will you turn guests away from being friendly or unfriendly? Yes, no matter what, this is guaranteed, so be clear.

Hi all- last time I posted, you gave me wonderful advice and I always get good ideas from reading your posts. (Running a new B&B, still working out details.) Can anyone speak to the logic of taking 10 and over versus 12 and over kids? Our policy is currently 12 and over because of a bed-wetting problem we encountered with a particular younger kid (and the parents totally knew about the problem and did not warn us- our first lesson in dealing with rude guests!), but our location (and staff) is very kid-friendly, so I'm wondering if we might be safe to bring the age down from 12 to 10...thoughts?

Back